[T] AA: Beyond the Shadows ●●●●●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Sylien
Spoken languages: English, Italian

Re: [T] AA: Beyond the Shadows ●●●●●

Post by Sylien »

this is like the second fangame i've ever played and damn was that good!

also, there's a spelling mistake in pt.6, frame 94, where unknown is spelled unkown
DJJ6800
Spoken languages: English

Post by DJJ6800 »

Could you upload a soundtrack list?
Aeliren
Spoken languages: English and French (Anglais et français).

Post by Aeliren »

I took a pretty long break from Ace Attorney-related material, so unfortunately I wasn't available to help playtest anything further than Turnabout Recovery. Yet here I am, at the end of this journey after finishing the last case, and what a ride it was. Brilliant twists all around, great characters, great... everything, really (Ok, so I never really liked that particular Edgeworth sprite especially for the bench, but that's hardly your fault and completely subject to opinion but I needed to get it out there). The last case in particular really brings everything together and wraps it up nicely. And the character names are brilliant and feel properly AA-themed. Add to the fact that it's a complete set of cases that have been complete, something that I personally find exceedingly rare (Off the top of my head, I can count one other)? Truly impressive.
Spoiler : Before the Dawn :
TIME PARADOX! Seriously though, going back to part 2 after getting the safe code in part 4, was it Waters coming back in for Round Dos? And there's no mention of Ema, did she get KOed too?
Spoiler : Chance/Before the Dawn :
Defending Shelly de Killer was brilliant and I loved everything about it. The little "whoops" added to his profile in BtD is hilarious to boot. One question: I'm assuming that Crooke was sent by Mags/Rivales to defend him to let him take the fall, like he did with Dee's case in OG-4? Or was it simply coincidence?
Spoiler : Regrets/Before the Dawn/Epilogue :
Personally, Crooke's tale as shown in Turnabout Regrets and the effect it had on him for the next year is what really touched me, and the detail about him trying to find Faith after everything is over with is great. In fact, it was something I was really hoping to see in the epilogue, and I was not disappointed.

And it's about damn time the wonder siblings found out that they were related. Even if I think Phoenix would probably get some crap from Thalassa for telling them before she was ready (sounds to me like she's just afraid at this point).
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Whoops, I accidentally fell off the face of the earth there for a moment.

Seriously though, I'm really thankful for the interest that's being shown in my work and I'm glad people are having fun with it. I've just moved to a new town and started a new job so things have been a little hectic recently. Still, it's about time I started responding to people here.

Sylien wrote:also, there's a spelling mistake in pt.6, frame 94
Ah, good catch. Should be fixed.
DJJ6800 wrote:Could you upload a soundtrack list?
I've added all the custom music used to the credits section of each case. Not sure why I hadn't done that already, but hopefully that helps.
Aeliren wrote:
Spoiler : Before the Dawn :
TIME PARADOX! Seriously though, going back to part 2 after getting the safe code in part 4, was it Waters coming back in for Round Dos? And there's no mention of Ema, did she get KOed too?

The implication is yes for both your questions. I'll admit, it's at this point that Waters' plan becomes considerably less practical. But the bad ending is really just an easter egg. I wouldn't think too hard about it.
Spoiler : Chance/Before the Dawn :
Defending Shelly de Killer was brilliant and I loved everything about it. The little "whoops" added to his profile in BtD is hilarious to boot. One question: I'm assuming that Crooke was sent by Mags/Rivales to defend him to let him take the fall, like he did with Dee's case in OG-4? Or was it simply coincidence?

Yep, Crooke is really working on behalf of the syndicate at this point meaning Shelly's paranoia was right on the money.
Spoiler : Regrets/Before the Dawn/Epilogue :
And it's about damn time the wonder siblings found out that they were related. Even if I think Phoenix would probably get some crap from Thalassa for telling them before she was ready (sounds to me like she's just afraid at this point).

Agreed. It's why I threw in the "We've been thinking about telling you..." line to imply that the two had already discussed it. Still, I feel like Phoenix probably would have held out a bit longer had Athena not called him out.
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Soooo, I'm not sure why but I recently noticed the audio that I was hosting on Instaudio has stopped working. Looking back, none of the custom music is loading in any of my cases, despite the fact that it's still up on the site and works fine on Instaudio. Can anyone else confirm if the music refuses to load for them too?

If the problem doesn't fix itself this week I'll have to re-host all the custom music, which is frankly gonna be a huge pain but what can ya do I guess. Apologies if this has intruded on anyone who might have been playing through the series.
Gosicrystal
Spoken languages: Español, English

Post by Gosicrystal »

The same happens to me, too. I don't know why.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I can confirm that there are a number of broken sounds in the loading bar for this case.
I cannot confirm which sounds those are because I've never played these before (though I really should get on it already).
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

After a few hours and having to complete a million and one captcha tests to re-download all of my old audio files, I've got all of the audio re-hosted on dropbox. Hopefully it should work for you all now, TTAT should also be fixed. Again, apologies for the downtime. Should anyone notice any missing or out of place audio please let me know.

At least now I can get back to the new case I was working on before everything broke...
Doodled

Post by Doodled »

I'm sorry I didn't think to have a stream of consciousness while playing this, because wew, what a ride. Instead, here's some scattered thoughts after-the-fact:
Spoiler : Entire series spoilers :
I was 1000% sure Ian Gard was gonna be the mastermind going into the final parts of the final case. I was thinking "WATERS GOT A TAN AND BECAME A GUARD."

I appreciated the Zero Escape references in the music/easter egg/walkthrough.

I realized Elvis was going to be the killer in the 1st case the moment I saw he had entered the evidence room before the murder. Still a fun case, though.

Every element of the de Killer inclusion was brilliant and fun.

Had to use the walk-through an increasing amount as the cases went by, which means your difficulty curve is probably spot-on. None of the contradictions seemed too out-there.

I was predicting that Waters was gonna be alive when it said the apartment used to be his, and I doubled-down as soon as I saw his file not having the "X" on it. I'm actually kinda surprised none of the other characters brought it up. Does that mean that, because Mags had a suspicion that Waters wasn't dead, that he never X'd him out? That's some great attention to detail, especially for something that isn't even used for a contradiction. Even though I was predicting it, the actual reveal still shocked me. Great fun.

Shay Dee and Edward Crooke are excellent characters, and I hope we can see more of them someday.
For real, fantastic series. Really feels like a full-fledged 2D addition to the canon games. I had so many moments of legitimate investment and ear-to-ear grinning that I'm struggling to keep track. I feel lucky I came back to this site right after you finished this series and cleaned it up. Plowing through it was a great use of three evenings.
ikuzonos
Spoken languages: English, limited French

Post by ikuzonos »

(I really hope this is done correctly as I haven't used the forums before, apologies)

I stumbled across this series the other day via your featured case (also excellent, but that's another tangent) and became enthralled with it immediately. The characterization is brilliant and it really felt like I was playing an actual Ace Attorney game! I played the entire series in pretty much one go, though I did accidentally play Regrets first. I understand why it's meant to be played later, but it was such an intriguing opener for me that I felt compelled to understand every bit of the story you'd woven. I also appreciate the walkthrough; there were only a couple points where I really needed it (I spent an embarrassingly long amount of time on one contradiction in Smouldering) but having it there was a deeply appreciated lifeline. I haven't been able to get this series out of my head since I first played!
Spoiler : :
For some more specific thoughts, I love that you wrote a game about Apollo without giving him a 50th backstory, and actually resolved his first one! That was extremely satisfying. Having Franziska be the main/rival prosecutor was wonderful; she's my favourite character and I love seeing people tackling her in the future when she's gotten the character arc she deserved. Her relationship with Apollo and Athena was magnificent. Also loved seeing the Kitakis cameo! The original characters were also a treat; they felt like characters you could really come across in the main games! Shay was probably my favourite of them, but they were all excellently written (even if I did want to give Mags a taste of his own medicine on several occasions. You wrote a very hateable yet believable villain and that is a job well done.). I can't remember exactly how much I'd determined ahead of time since I binge played the series, but I know I spent a while wondering if "John Doe" was a mythology gag down to the music or not... to which I got my answer when he revealed he knew Franziska. Defending Shelly de Killer in a court of law was such an amazing idea and it's one of those things I wish I'd thought of first. My one wish for this is that there had been a little more resolution with what happened to Faith, since Crooke points out that her body was never found, but it ultimately doesn't take away from the beautiful narrative you've woven. I'm still thinking about the Wade Waters/Douglas Ford twist. Incredible.
I hope to play more of your work in the future! Thank you for your hard work!
versiondefiant
Spoken languages: English,French and Portuguese

Post by versiondefiant »

This series was one of the best I've ever played in terms of fan ace attorney content! The overall quality made it feel almost official. The contradictions weren't obvious but they weren't frustrating to find either, overall an amazing fangame.
Minas
Spoken languages: Français, english, deutsch, ελλινηκά

Post by Minas »

I agree with the person above me, it has been one of my favourite series of AA fangame. I suppose I'm a fan then ? x)
Narokh
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Narokh »

Alright, I know I'm very late on this but I have been on a very long pause from AAO (and rarely find time to play fancases) but I just finished case 1 and have to say, it looks really neat so far.

And I have to say, I feel strongly reminded of the third case of my own trial series (which is not meant in a negative way) what with
Spoiler : Similarities :
The choice of music (a minor one, obviously), a witnesses "confession" ending up being really ridiculous and causing the court to halt for a second as well as using a record-needle-scratch sound effect to stop the music dead.
I need to see if I can set aside time to play the rest of it for sure!
Though there was one little thing that seemed odd to me - sorry if this particular thing had been brought up before.
Spoiler : Question :
Wouldn't Ian Gard have been a major suspect? He had full access to the crime scene, lacked an alibi and most importantly was conscious through all of it whereas Ema was out cold.
Nonetheless, this was really well done and I certainly will have to find time to play the rest. :)
Visit my "Matt Silver: Ace Attorney" Trial Series Thread!

I also have a Sprite Thread.

Current Avatar created by Aer
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

So, I've not been active on aaonline as of late, you can thank uni for that, but I saw that this has been getting some more attention recently. Thank you to everyone who responded here with their thoughts, I'm glad to know people are enjoying themselves.

Not to plug myself or anything but anyone who enjoyed Beyond the Shadows, I highly recommend checking out some of my more recent stuff if you haven't already, in my opinion it improves on what I consider to be the weaker aspects of this series and I'm quite proud of it.

Spoiler : @Narokh :
Wouldn't Ian Gard have been a major suspect? He had full access to the crime scene, lacked an alibi and most importantly was conscious through all of it whereas Ema was out cold.
Of course it's totally fair to think that, and I perhaps didn't spend as much time on this line of reasoning as I should have, but this would be ignoring the knife with Ema's fingerprints as the final nail in her coffin. Now, Gard could have planted that, but then the choice becomes taking Gard at face value, or assuming he's lying about being the first to discover the scene AND that he planted the murder weapon on Ema. This isn't to say that the police wouldn't also suspect Gard, and certainly in real life there's no way the investigation would be at a stage where it could be taken to court, but as with the canon games, you have to suspend that disbelief a little, otherwise the game just can't progress.

I went on a bit of a ramble there but to summarise it, yes, Gard would be a suspect, but Ema is the bigger suspect as far as the police are concerned.
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

I just completed the entirely of BTS, and I gotta say that I loved it! Each individual case was great, but the way it all flowed into one large narrative with no real filler to speak of is incredible! It truly does feel like an official Ace Attorney game.

And NGL, when I looked at what else you had worked on and saw Game of Turnabouts, I smiled because I realized that it would make sense that a great case like that one was also made by you. I definitely look forward to any fan cases you do in the future!
Image Image