[M][CE] The Guardian and the Dreamer ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

[M][CE] The Guardian and the Dreamer ●

Post by GuardianDreamer »

Link is here. Hope you enjoy.

This is a short story made for the "Never Trust The Narrator" competition, clocking in at just under 1000 frames. It's not a murder mystery at all, so don't expect one. It'd be more accurate to say that it sort of has Slice of Life elements, but that's mostly due to it containing a lot of banter. Expect it to mostly be pretty slow-paced. It's not quite a kinetic novel since there are a couple of choices (leading to one of three endings), but those are close to the end and this is mostly a thing you read rather than play. A walkthrough is provided, but you really shouldn't need it, and the choices are somewhat spoilery in nature, so... Don't look at it unless you absolutely have to for whatever reason.
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
True End: 1. "I need to know the truth."
2. "... Stay with me."

Good End: 1. "I need to know the truth."
2. "... Maybe you're right."

Bad End: 1. "I should drop it."
Last edited by GuardianDreamer on Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Re: [M][CE] The Guardian and the Dreamer ●

Post by Reverie »

Yaaay.

For someone who doesn't much like what usually counts as "SoL," laughing like 3 times over the course of this thing was unexpected. Really nice short story, would recommend reading/playing/watching/absorbing any time.
Last edited by Reverie on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yaaay, it was a good entry. A nice chill read. You should go read it.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

I liked this.
Spoiler : Short Review :
I like Rene Magritte. He's one of my favorite surreal artists - probably my favorite, since I just can't get myself to like Dali. The reason I mention this is because reading through this gave me the feeling of watching a Magritte painting. Something almost nothing I've seen on this site has done. It was weird. Mind you, this isn't a work of surrealism, everything is fairly easy to comprehend. But still... How do I describe my playing experience? A bizarre sense of melancholy with no strings attached. And while obviously there was a PLOT, it never pulled at the back of my mind. The dialogue made me forget all about it. It made me forget about everything and just sort of look at the moment. Kind of like what a painting does.

I guess kwando described it best to me when he said "it was chill".

And chill it was.

Overall, it was enjoyable. The one thing that seemed just a tad bit jarring was Michaela's sudden "yeah, I remember most of stuff". I get what you were going for with the "lying to myself" but it didn't really resonate with me.

Anyways, good job.

Have a Magritte.

NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Spoiler : Write-Up thing- some spoilers :
If you may forgive the pretentiousness, there is a quote that keeps coming to mind when I think about this fangame, particularly given the discussion of the nature of "happy endings" at the beginning.

“And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live.”- Stephen King

This may end up being a bit more rambly than I anticipated, so bear with me.

It's kind of interesting really. Even though I wasn't expecting some sort of super-dark edge-fest or something, the whole idea of this VN (I suppose?) just kinda being a chill ride was something I was immensely skeptical about, primarily due to the nature of the comp. But that's basically what it was. There is unreliable narration (I honestly think that part was handled fine- I think maybe a bit more buildup to the revelation would have been nice, but I liked the concept and I wouldn't say you really need that much build-up if the idea is that the character really does know what's going on, they just refuse to admit it to themselves.), and there is a plot, but the plot isn't really the point. The unreliable narration isn't really the point. The point, as I see it, is in the pointless conversations. In the Lucky Star-like rambling dialogues. Because the point is that these are two people that care about one another. They're friends. And it's easy to get swept away in that, in their fluid, rambly dialogues, because it feels like two friends talking; people that really get each other and like each other and care about each other. It's charming and endearing and just fun to read.

What point there is in the plot, as I see it, reflects that. It's about a friend being willing to sacrifice a lot to help another, and another friend probably partially slipping into denial because they care so much about their friend and hate to do this to them. At its core, that's what I see the plot being about. There are no high stakes, deep tensions, or secret plots. It's, really, a story about friendship and two people that just really care about each other.

And I feel like the true ending reflects that. I feel like to just have the two break apart would be to defeat the entire point of the story, which was, at heart, about how much these two people cared for each other. And there's something beautiful in that. In the end, to go full circle, it probably isn't a happy ever after. Life is hard, and these are two people that tricked each other (and themselves) for a long time. But they did live. And I'd like to think that there is enough happiness to go around.

Good work.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

I'm a little confused...
Spoiler : :
Was it ever stated exactly what happened that made Michaela want to hide herself away?
Image Image Image
GuardianDreamer

Spoiler : Response to TheDoctor :
This was a little bit more obvious in the original version I sent to the judges, but I chose to downplay that a bit in favor of emphasizing a few other points that I believe made for a better experience. That said, here's a quote from Leah near the end: "You can't have forgotten the emotional state you were in. How about all the people you suddenly lost? The ones you got into fights with?"

Bold is added by me, obviously. In general the whole "Michaela hides away for nearly a year" thing was supposed to symbolize depression (and feeling guilty too), which people may or may not have gotten. That said, while I do have exact details in my mind about what happened, this is one of those things that I intentionally kept vague in the story because I think that it works a lot better if the player fills in the details themselves.
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Make My Life Worse
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [M][CE] The Guardian and the Dreamer ☆

Post by Enthalpy »

☆ This case is pending a QA inspection to be featured.

QA needs to sort out some details about the criteria for reviewing a miscellaneous case. One of us will post here once we have the preliminaries straightened out.

Good luck to GD!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Oooooh, good luck GD!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Good luck, GD! Even though I haven't played it (yet), I hope it gets fearured!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Alright, the basic procedural points:

Tentatively, QA is of the opinion that the criteria we have currently are fine, with some simple alteration. We won't apply AA-specific criteria here, and we emphasize that the format for the case should be fitting and not gimmicky. We may add new criteria mid-QA, if something comes up. Since both Evo and BP have already played this before, I'll be taking the lead on this one. There will likely be more discussion amongst us than usual for this.

I'm hoping to have played this through by the 16th!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

One point I'm confused about...
Spoiler : Spoilers! :
How real were Michaela's memory troubles?

In the closing conversation with Leah, she said that she had remembered all along and just been lying to herself, but I can't see an interpretation for her behavior other than that she had genuinely developed memory troubles. She can't remember that she wrote down her conversation with Leah the day before for no apparent reason, and all indications are that she can barely remember any part of her life before her self-imposed exile.

Michaela: Actually... How long have I been trying to get this right, anyway?
Michaela: ...
Michaela: ... A while, let's go with that. Can't remember how long. Though that's kind of weird.
Michaela: My memory's always been weird, so I guess it's just me.
Michaela: Maybe Leah remembers. I'll have to remember to ask her later.

Michaela: (I bet my parents would be wondering how I ended up with this kind of mindset.)
Michaela: (Or how about the other people I know? They'd be curious too, right?)
Michaela: (But... Would they, though? Considering their personalities and everything...)
Michaela: (My parents in particular are kind of... Wait, no. Weren't they kind of weird too?)
Michaela: (No, they were normal beyond all belief... Right? Why am I so stuck on this?)
Michaela: (Thinking about this is silly. Besides, they haven't visited in... How long?)
Michaela: (... Shoot. I can't stop thinking about this. Am I just really tired?)
Michaela: (Their names were... One started with an E. The other with an S. Why can't I remember more?)
Michaela: (My memory isn't THIS bad. ... I'll just ask Leah if I can call them on her cellphone tomorrow.)
Michaela: (... Why don't I have any pictures of them lying around? I don't hate them... I don't think I do.)

Michaela: (What was my childhood like? Why can I only half-remember a lot of things?)

Lying to herself would explain not asking otherwise obvious questions, but not the failed memory.
GuardianDreamer

Enthalpy wrote:One point I'm confused about...
Spoiler : Spoilers! :
How real were Michaela's memory troubles?

In the closing conversation with Leah, she said that she had remembered all along and just been lying to herself, but I can't see an interpretation for her behavior other than that she had genuinely developed memory troubles. She can't remember that she wrote down her conversation with Leah the day before for no apparent reason, and all indications are that she can barely remember any part of her life before her self-imposed exile.

Michaela: Actually... How long have I been trying to get this right, anyway?
Michaela: ...
Michaela: ... A while, let's go with that. Can't remember how long. Though that's kind of weird.
Michaela: My memory's always been weird, so I guess it's just me.
Michaela: Maybe Leah remembers. I'll have to remember to ask her later.

Michaela: (I bet my parents would be wondering how I ended up with this kind of mindset.)
Michaela: (Or how about the other people I know? They'd be curious too, right?)
Michaela: (But... Would they, though? Considering their personalities and everything...)
Michaela: (My parents in particular are kind of... Wait, no. Weren't they kind of weird too?)
Michaela: (No, they were normal beyond all belief... Right? Why am I so stuck on this?)
Michaela: (Thinking about this is silly. Besides, they haven't visited in... How long?)
Michaela: (... Shoot. I can't stop thinking about this. Am I just really tired?)
Michaela: (Their names were... One started with an E. The other with an S. Why can't I remember more?)
Michaela: (My memory isn't THIS bad. ... I'll just ask Leah if I can call them on her cellphone tomorrow.)
Michaela: (... Why don't I have any pictures of them lying around? I don't hate them... I don't think I do.)

Michaela: (What was my childhood like? Why can I only half-remember a lot of things?)

Lying to herself would explain not asking otherwise obvious questions, but not the failed memory.
Spoiler : Spoiler Responses :
Oh my. I'm worried that my explanations for this won't really help, since a lot of it meant to be Michaela intentionally lying to herself and the reader to portray the story in a different light. Which may or may not be something that you're in favor of. I'm willing to adjust a few lines here and there if that helps, but to go into more specifics...

1. Her memory loss problems weren't real. At all. Her internal narration is supposed to outright lie to the reader a lot of the time as part of the "Never Trust the Narrator" theme that I was going for. A part of it is also self-denial, and intentionally lying to herself in order to reassure herself that her decision to continue the charade is the right one. I remember this was something that confused the judges during the comp, which resulted in a bit of a rewrite where I had Michaela outright say that no, her memory problems weren't a thing. (The judges thought I was going for "memory loss" too, which wouldn't have counted as "unreliable" in their books, until I explained stuff to them.)

2. The whole "can't remember she wrote down her own conversations with Leah" thing was meant as more of a joke on her being absentminded and a bit tired. If that wasn't clear, then I can adjust a couple of lines, though I'm not sure how.

3. Michaela not remembering how long she's been writing for is meant to foreshadow the fact that she hasn't been keeping track of how long her self-imposed exile has been going on for. See her later dialogue with Leah where she expresses shock that she's been doing this for almost a year, since she genuinely hasn't been paying attention to the passage of time (or stopped paying attention after a while).

4. About the parent thing... This is part of something that was clearer in the original version of this story, though Leah does hint at it a bit in the final version. The short version is that Michaela has a strained relationship with her parents (though how strained is up to interpretation). That scene is supposed to be her struggling between telling herself the actual truth and her fabricated "truth", resulting in a jumbled mess that she decides to leave unresolved.

5. I guess a key point here is that I interpret Michaela's "inner narration" not as her true thoughts all of the time, but rather what she TELLS herself is true, and tries to convince herself is true. I guess the best way for me to word it is that Michaela lies to herself a lot in order to reassure herself and feel better about how much she's been lying to Leah, which is something that she's aware is unhealthy but doesn't break out of until the True End or Good End.

I hope that helps a bit.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

QA Review: The Guardian and the Dreamer

Then testify agai-- Wait, it's not that kind of case?
The Guardian and the Dreamer is the first miscellaneous case that has been submitted to QA for review. While we've had miscellaneous cases before, I believe this is the first pure "slice-of-life" story that has been showcased on AAO. Now that we know what the QA standards are, does this case meet them? Let's find out.
The format on Check #1 is completely different from my previous reviews. The checkmark system assumes that you can keep the good and bad points of the areas separate. This assumption completely fails here. Instead, I'll spend Check #1 going into a very detailed "Stream of Consciousness," which allows me to highlight how things from one area affect others.
Spoiler : Check #1: Here Be Spoilers! :
We open to a black-screen prologue that seems surprisingly distinct in what it shows and what it conceals: A wants to do something that would cause others to look for A, and B thinks this is a bad idea, but is not insistent on it, and so helps A out of "love."

We then transition to our two protagonists, Michaela and Leah bantering. The banter here worked for me: the dialogue has a languid naturalness, the setup for the banter is natural (justifying bad movie night), the characters are allowed to react to each other (Leah stepping outside the banter to offer serious advice and Michaela catching Leah on hypocrisy), and the jokes have just enough of an edge to them to show that the two are friends. For an astute player, Leah's personality will start to come in focus here: Leah is sharp-witted, sarcastic, and a linear thinker, whose weapons of choice when talking with Michaela are scrutiny and clear speech. At this stage, Michaela's personality remains cloudy, apart from the vague sense that she enjoys playing the fool.

We return to the bad movie night conversation, which ends shortly and turns to the curious fact that Leah buys Michaela's groceries. Michaela appears to feel guilty about the arrangement, asks Leah if she can go, and Leah says no, it wouldn't be that interesting. Leah seems a bit too forceful here, but it's easy enough to let the matter go, as Leah probably shouldn't feel guilty, and grocery shopping really isn't interesting, anyways. Up to this point, my experience has gone almost exactly as it should for this story to work.

It's at this point that my experience deviates from the ideal. Michaela jokes about how she wants to take over the world, but it falls flat for me. The wit, reactions, sense of friendship and naturalness that makes the previous jokes work for me are gone. It feels like Michaela is looking for chances to be off-beat, which I just don't find funny. She's trying too hard. Still, it's only one joke.

Those who have spent time with GD will recognize something about that line. "I'm planning world domination!" is a favorite joke of his. What a coincidence that it should appear here. Or not. These "GD-isms" recur throughout the case.

Michaela next asks Leah for advice on a story she's writing. The resulting dialogue sounds awkward from the characters. First, synopsis: Michaela has the strange idea that the only reason for writing a sad end is unwarranted cynicism. Leah tries to rebut this by saying that sometimes a happy ending is out of place, and what the writer wants for an ending is "good enough," but Michaela disapproves of the idea for some reason she never states.

Michaela and Leah just sound weak when giving these lines. When Michaela talks, it doesn't feel like she's making a statement, but just saying that she likes positivity. If you stop to think about Michaela's statement, you quickly find it wrong. She says the only reason people write sad endings is because of unwarranted cynicism, but I can think of three counterexamples off the top of my head. When Leah tries to argue against it, she is cagey enough to say "I don't think you have the right mindset" and "Just something to think about" while emphasizing what she isn't saying, rather than simply pointing out Michaela's silliness. It feels like we're just supposed to "appreciate" that Michaela likes positivity but Leah has some good points. This feels strange coming out of the mouth of Michaela, who shows no other tendencies to such a smokescreen of positivity, and Leah, whose timidity here is jarring against her personality during the banter.

(I’ll add that since this kind of dialogue didn’t occur anywhere else in the story, it may well be that their reactions here actually are typical, but I couldn’t pick up on it. I was a bit confused by this scene’s inclusion. Was it trying to be just banter, or contain some random semi-serious conversations too? I also wish that it either showed more character and rapport form our two protagonists, or this kind of dialogue was more common in the case.)

The game transitions into another GD-ism, butler banter. For me, the joke is too contrived to be funny, and that sets the tone for how I respond to the rest of these "Michaela is just spouting random nonsense and Leah is playing the straight man to it" jokes. About 50 frames later, "hype" for bad movie night got a smile out of me, but that's about it.

We take a small breather, as Leah leaves, and Michaela tries to work on her story before going to bed and mentions her "memory troubles". The story scene works decently as a transition, and the memory troubles succeed in raising tension without drawing too much attention from elsewhere, but I am not interested in Michaela's writing project. It's at this point that I notice that my sense of these two characters has stagnated since the bad movie night banter ended. My sense of Leah has sharpened some but hasn't grown, and I’m more certain that Michaela isn’t as silly as she seems, but that’s all. This is to be expected: the story section didn't do anything for characterization, and that just leaves the banter, which is not characterization. Fair enough.

We now return to the opening prologue, where we now learn that B is Leah. We don't linger there, but immediately turn to banter with Leah. The initial banter falls flat for me for the usual reasons, but Leah's threat to throw cold water on Michaela when she was literally asking for it works! Leah's reaction to it is entertaining, it arises naturally from the preceding dialogue, and seeing somebody caught in their words like that is usually funny.

Next, Leah asks Michaela if she can use her phone to call her own parents. Leah is forceful with her no, and this causes a new problem: it is now so clear that something is wrong with the entire situation and Leah's actions in particular that I start suspecting some "trick" from Leah. I am now on-guard during her dialogue, rather than in a relaxed enough state to enjoy the "random conversations that don't really go anywhere." Comedy that I haven't liked so far becomes even harder to enjoy after this part. If this was at the beginning, the "common sense that you've kept hidden from me for so long" joke might have worked. Placed where it is, it doesn't for me.

Then Michaela presents a partial transcript of the previous day's conversation with Leah as the product of her writing. I took this to be a sign of memory loss, which made me color the remaining scenes in a much darker light. Now that I know that was completely incorrect, this is just another segue into jokes that don’t get much of a laugh of me. There might be something half-serious when Michaela and Leah are discussing Michaela's writing, but because Michaela seems to be going with the "memoir about her" idea, I'm not sure how much of this I can take seriously. The only joke in the resulting lineup of "Doing something completely random for no apparent reason" that comes close to working is when Leah offers/threatens to eat Michaela's hair, trapping her in own words again.

After another decent but not particularly strong transition through Michaela's failed attempts at writing, we enter another dream sequence and so transition into the second half of the story.

Before continuing, I need to discuss the effectiveness of the story's characterization strategy. The primary characterization purpose of the banter-laden first half is to endear the characters to the player, both for the point of the story to work and to give the second half emotional weight. The main way that GD chooses to accomplish this is the comedy. If the comedy fails, like it did for me, that endearment likely won't happen. And even if the comedy works, Leah's behavior by now is suspicious enough that a reader may well suspect Leah of something and so be less than enthusiastic about this friendship. And even if a player likes the comedy or isn't suspicious of Leah, given the lack of other characterization, I can very easily see readers just not emotionally attaching to characters over banter. This trio of disliking the comedy, suspicion about Leah, and little predisposition to emotionally attach with characters over jokes hit me hard. The story gambles everything it has on the assumption that by this point, the reader cares not only about the individual friends but also that they remain friends, and for me, this gamble was a terrible one.

We now see the unredacted conversation from the beginning. Surprisingly, adding A's lines back in doesn't change the meaning much, and unsurprisingly, A is Michaela. Well, when we only have two characters, that's to be expected. Because the only twist in this section was rather easy to predict, the scene didn't have much direct impact on me. The indirect impact is also stunted. Michaela's questioning herself comes across as leading to something interesting, but not interesting itself. The questions that she's asking herself now, the rest of us have seen for a bit now.

In the next scene, Leah comes in, and Michaela tries to get an answer out of her. For a character-driven scene, this scene is surprisingly uncommunicative about the characters. Michaela wants to know what happened and Leah doesn't want her to know due to some prior promise. Given the setup we already have, it's generic.

We hint at something interesting at "I know you're right. I know I'm in the wrong. I just don't want you to go through any more pain" but aren't given much elaboration. Leah inner monologues about how mysterious the line is, and then Michaela comes to her decision point. Let's go down the branches!

BRANCH 1: "I should drop it." - Tragic

Michaela drops the matter. After some uneventful "tensions dropping" dialogue, Michaela forgets her name and then goes back to sleep. Leah leaves, distraught at the deterioriation of Michaela's memory, resolved to "be there" for Michaela, and angry at herself over not telling Leah before her memory faded. While she feels her motivation for wanting to "be there" for Michaela now is selfish, her other motivations remain cloudy.

There is clearly something here, but this ending is hard to interpret without the benefit of the other branches. I invite the reader who decrypts my cipher later in the review to fill in the blanks; it's well worth doing!

BRANCH 2: "I need to know the truth."

Michaela asks Leah for the truth, and Leah relents, though still conflicted, feeling that this should have happened earlier, but that she is giving up too easily. Michaela points out her isolation and what Leah does as her caretaker, and Leah starts explaining that this was a self-imposed exile to escape from something-or-other, but then changes topic. Leah asks Michaela if she really has forgotten the reason, and Michaela admits that she has not.

This is the point where things go very wrong. For me, this happened:
I have no idea how to reconcile Michaela's inner monologue with this new revelation. Because of this, Michaela and Leah's motivations are inscrutable, and the following parts just seems horribly generic. No real harm was done, and now that they're honest with each other, everything is fine. I read the showcase and find that Leah was trying to tell herself there wasn't a problem to avoid a confrontation. As I read the trial script a few more times to write up the QA review, I realize that even that explanation isn't convincing. She never puts up a fight to these lies she tells herself, and given how spontaneously she comes up with them, she'd have to believe them. But if she still knows they're not right, how do I interpret her wanting to call her parents? She was telling herself she didn't remember the past but she did, so she tried to reconnect with the past because... she remembered and thought it was good? No, that's contradictory. She had forgotten? Just as contradictory.

What was supposed to happen is a major spoiler that I only figured out after a lot of talking to GD. Even if you've already played the case, it may still be a spoiler for you. Because I can't nest spoilers, I've encrypted it with a Vignere cipher using the key: PRISONERDILEMMA. Use an online Vignere decrypter to read it.

bzkzorpr kid fqqn apqfu gs yhzdixr sd jpw qnr bhma pkunv kw dsnl, rql tr tqr bzvv, bbx cbqyk fa ltrp ochpu nqwp fte uiqwbqwylx! ljfqr p wmo abrkka, xmotatci vspmuhl es bdeivvv hb lrym qsdsoikmf hui gdae, wa xepy vg zbrxhz see fo lfzjm glrw bsme iah r jsr vhvd. id xtus vfmk ca, rfw wypk potj uaquevoi cimxiov bzs fici-mimxq ih dicwak yhzdixr mxjmjoopv, ece wtq ih zv lcb hvhx hmft twv tas gs xhb zyf. uf hym srzmkv bz amztxeo gig, wyh plw fa asdql huek vpp haqs gvuwaoii wpp tmet, lyquv npjr upeze twrb kvr lrv bz epyii kw dmvrx ww wimt fdi bzs yejw npa yaniya, ovvgy uqdoe qnszvy hui wuqprpehxg. bzs brcb azpgfide azs pee wptrw af xj bg qbrmlvni tqrhvtx huek wpp aadls fclgvhv gqor'f qxxjb, tig mk lay'x saicx dwfl avot. treqri jmdt-ysrwptrs. yepeezwyi, dlkseqxa'h gtsb uej einorurtu kgacpvwmwc. xqaw, jmwwak kkwdi yqmdig lfbysomd, szxy vvbk abvv zwcvuqd pswmh glv hnqiofs dw bzs fici-qdsxmtxfv sbq klltec mnojk pwf esch qy mf, nui za steezg bsef m cdenjcaxrwqzr iula cmsr gs dlkseqxa iigabt xf "jw tx mxocv," ezwpl zv mieofln npsh flv zid xdkicx bg deimhve. aq takv i kwgyrwqzr itegv jghu sw wppq wzol kpag vw r eio mpqa, qlb sfr gfqdtroqd iyil oac rwbpqbf td xml chx fi qe auxl peowf glv rbsid fo iym hcvrk rn mvqmkxeo lvr jilmyhetie.

kpag npcred ye fo jelwffxrql pedxiti tabrw rql pzqzth zv s qbqgomeixk ntn tauux:
dlkseqxa pjsabt xf jw rvaoegp azcctzqo lrp fo rrtd vrv gdzprfe? dtjxwfnxv dbeiybth kw ysg slw wq xtq sxkcshvse zqelagt p twftesewiemaz. ltrp kolmej vz xa noiy wx huid? hyfexxy svahseekh iexqypij bg oiszg kzrrdockilwbr. dlkseqxa xevwf zsertzkgunv rjgig lfz asi paehe'b jszidemc lqd ppimfhf? lron zj uf wpj pwf gvplvr xa oocmqfqr lvuappr eht imszyc urmdr'f, taaw wx wg arv ppv bxaceqfu usn ww lww xepy eahuslw zlmeunv ymj ghwglktsze, bjk uggg sw wpp mzzeg dwfcysxxm, elq bagka ovrvv vpp xqxlh ymjgrpw wplx itai jpw'g qszqo tw fqrgzjds nru wplx tqr twngfgw kr tti fa htiawzs eih wypk yazzvy vrv drzp eimrt fn zcj qlfp elue aac pmfgw, zv zphmottu.

qf cglvu ezvpe, eptp gt glv wez xtunzj bzs brcb elc fa ktvx lvr jilmyhetie rtajr mj ww xewq htiawzs qzvmcenxe pel hseqzw azqq atwvz zoeq kr ppv rditel.

The story concept is brilliant, but none of the things that made it brilliant came out in the story. I pored over the script, and I can't find any lines that clue towards that interpretation, short of extrapolating really far from Leah admitting that she hadn't really forgotten.

Not only does the story suffer from not having its best aspect on display, but there are more garden variety problems from hiding the places where those elements would normally come on. Michaela and Leah's revelations are emotionally weightless given how they say they are feeling bad, but how quickly they reassure each other and bounce back. Michaela can say "punch me and I'd probably feel better," but Leah just says "I'm not angry," and the conversation keeps on moving as if Michaela hadn't said anything. Easier said than felt. There is little sense that any actual harm has been done or was at risk of being done. Even when Michaela and Leah apologize to each other about what happened, they are far more likely to use the language of "this was a bad idea" than "I have done some badness to you." When they slip into the latter is right when the problem of being too quick to reassure each other is most prominent. Instead, we get a generic and saccharine "D'aww, they really do care about each other!" This really doesn't work if you haven't been endeared to these characters already, as I wasn't.

The line about "the dorkiest smile" could have worked, but I was too busy trying to figure out what happened and where the emotional weight of the scene was for me to smile.

The ensuing scene is low tension, as the two are relieved that the friendship is intact, but the tension I recognized was so low prior to this that the relief doesn't transfer to the player. If the tension that was there was better conveyed, this could have been excellent.

Michaela agrees to resume normal life, and Leah promises to help, but in the first moment of genuine self-doubt for this entire scene, Leah considers breaking off the friendship, saying she doesn't deserve to be Leah's friend after what she did. While a good idea, the execution falls flat because the wrongness that Leah is guilty of hasn't been clear.

BRANCH 2A: - Bittersweet

In this path, Michaela agrees, but wants to still remember her. Leah elaborates that she's mainly angry at herself for what she's done. Her thoughts still in a jumble, Michaela regrets the ending but remains happy she and Leah were friends.

BRANCH 2B: - Happy

In this path, Michaela disagrees, saying that both of them are to blame, and as she doesn't want the friendship to end, talk about "deserving" is beside the point. Leah admires Michaela's speech and changes her mind. The two reaffirm their bad movie night plans. Optimistic for the future, the two leave the room.

Unfortunately, the characters haven't been supported well enough here for me to feel different between the two end routes. This ending could have been great if they were, but that support is absolutely crucial, and for me, it didn't happen.

The story ends there.
Spoiler : Check #2: Here Be Spoilers! :
Not performed.
Spoiler : Conclusion :
☆ The QA inspection is complete. This case is not good enough to be featured. Sorry!

I wanted to feature this case, and for quite a while, I couldn't tell if I didn't like the case because it truly wasn't feature-worthy, or just because this story isn't my taste. While I think taste is some of it, there are much deeper problems here.

The narrative could be on par with The Broken Turnabout, if not stronger, but the story tries to hide what it's about, even at the end. I have to use a spoiler when discussing what the main story is for people who have already read the story, so as not to spoil the narrative. That is a very bad sign.

The characterization strategy in the first half risks whether the characters are strong enough on their own for their story in the second half to have emotional resonance with the reader, based on readers liking a niche style of humor, not suspecting that Leah has done something wrong despite signs that she has, and emotionally attaching to characters over pure banter. For me, and I think for a great many readers, this risk doesn't pay off. I could ignore it if the risk was just the style of humor, but with that much...

All that said, I think the story can work. I'd be happy to give some more concrete recommendations, but first, I need to know what direction you’ll be going from here. Four options immediately come to mind:

1. Request a re-QA. Evo has already said this would be feature-worthy, and I’d like a majority agreement on this, so this would have to be from BP. If he wants, he can decline the QA and just give you a condensed version of his thoughts.
2. Leave the story as-is and be content with not a QA.
3. Make revisions with intent to re-apply for QA, focusing more on improving the lighthearted comedy in the early story, even if that means accepting that the emotional impact of the ending won’t be as strong. I don’t expect you to take this option, per our previous discussions.
4. Make revisions with intent to re-apply for QA, focusing more on giving the ending more emotional impact, even if that means having "banter" scenes where we can see that something is straining the relationship.

In my opinion, you can’t have both the perfectly lighthearted tone and the emotional impact. Giving the ending the support that I think it needs means introducing some clear signs that something is wrong in this relationship, that the lighthearted tone you started out with has been weakened by something. You tried to do this by pointing out the strangeness of Leah’s situation, but in a story about repairing the emotional distance between two friends, you need to show the emotional distance between two friends.

When you’ve had time to think about it and decided what you’ll do next, I’ll give more detailed feedback on how you can improve.
GuardianDreamer

Spoiler : Response to Enthalpy, major spoilers ahoy :
I'm going to take the option to leave the story as-is and not re-apply for QA. Mostly because I feel like the point has been missed, greatly, and I'm convinced that my ideal story will never match what the QA team wants now. I also heavily disagree with a lot of the criticisms being made here. I think the suggestions would mostly make this much worse and lose a lot of the heart and meaning that this story has for me. I guess I should explain exactly why I feel this way. Though it's hard to do when so much of this is subjective.

A big part of it is that I feel like I strongly disagree with your idea/arguments about how friendship works and how it should be properly shown. To me, I feel like Michaela and Leah's relationship is about as great as I can convey it, at least with my current skills as a writer. I also feel like enough people have told me that they really liked the story, the dialogue, and Michaela and Leah in general to feel like I'm not completely deluding myself here. I also really strongly disagree with your idea on the way dialogues between two close friends work, and your examples honestly don't make sense to me. As for the niche sense of humor and general weirdness surrounding the characters? I wrote this to appeal to myself, for the most part, and I was really happy when other people enjoyed it too. Considering people who don't like SoL have told me they enjoyed this, I don't think it's as niche as I initially thought when I was writing this. I was willing to change some of it if I legitimately felt like it could retain the spirit of what I was trying to do, but I don't feel like that's the case at all here.

I also disagree about the idea that I try to hide what the story is about. I feel like it's well-hinted throughout the story, and by the end, I feel like the themes are made apparent enough, which several people got without me needing to tell them exactly what I was thinking. The questions you asked me during your QA inspection also felt utterly confusing to me because it felt completely different from what I was actually focusing on. Honestly, the fact that you felt the need to encrypt a spoiler within a spoiler baffled me, and honestly hurt me a bit as an author considering the implications.

Since I imagine this is the best thing I'll ever write on the editor, I don't plan on ever applying for a QA ever again. I'll add here that I don't mean that in a bitter way or as an attack against the QA staff. Just that it's become clear that this isn't the right audience for what I have to offer, and it would feel incredibly weird for me if something else of mine got featured while this didn't.

EDIT: Actually, one thing about your review confuses me. In it, you say that there's a reliance on the reader "not suspecting that Leah has done something wrong despite signs that she has". ... I'm sorry, but this is blatantly untrue. The reader is SUPPOSED to feel like Leah is hiding something. That's the point of those scenes.
Make My Life Worse
Defend Him, Not Me!
My Twitter is here