[M] Machine Misadventures ○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Marios2
Spoken languages: Greek, English

[M] Machine Misadventures ○

Post by Marios2 »

Machine Misadventures

So what's this?
Machine Misadventures (title subject to change assuming a better one is found) is the story of a robot pretending to be some Thomas Hawkins, undertaking tasks involving espionage. This time, he is asked by Jane Nicholson to retrieve the evidence for the so-called Joe Darke Killings so that she can do whatever she intends to do with it. As if the (current) title wasn't too big of a clue, this won't be as straightforward as it sounds, as the story will take unexpected turns.

No idea if this concept will tickle anyone's fancy, but the only way to find out is to let the people play what there is there so far. I hope you enjoy it, and whether or not you did, please leave some feedback. I won't mind unprofessional feedback at all! I have no room to do such things anyway.

There are spoilers for the first Ace Attorney, story, characters and music included. There is also a minor character spoiler for Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations, though the original character is probably very loosely, if at all, followed.
Spoiler : Screenshots :
ImageImageImage
[Withdrawn because nobody cared - trial unplayable anymore]
Last edited by Marios2 on Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marios2

Re: [M] Machine Misadventures ○

Post by Marios2 »

Seeing as nobody is interested, I'm withdrawing this from showcase. Maybe I'll try to add a "social puzzle" someday, but, until then, the lack of replies gives me enough feedback for the time.

Everyone prefers an actual trial/investigation, so I'll have a trial/investigation instead next time.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

...You had this up for three days. That is definitely not a reasonable amount of time for gauging interest. Especially since the majority of those three days/all of them were weekdays, too. This forum moves very slowly.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

That, and consider that many people who have played it may just... not have said so yet.

There could still be people who were interested in playing in the future, too. I was, for one.

If you're happy with the finished product, there's no reason to withdraw it! Feedback that takes a while to get posted is better than none at all, after all. Also, as enigma said, 3 weekdays isn't an awfully long time, especially as a new author. Even the most popular authors' threads aren't exactly rampant with activity right now. Try not to be so easily discouraged.
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

I understand your frustration and I can relate to being disappointed by the lack of interest if you don't have a big name as an author on AAO (yet.)
However, what good will taking down the trial do? Unless you're ashamed of it or something, I'd just leave it here for those who do want to play it. Even if there aren't that many yet, unfortunately, isn't it better than nobody at all? And the more you publish, the more likely it becomes that more people will check out your trials.
I have to admit I didn't check out the trial yet myself because I've been very busy with the AAO awards ceremony. However, looking at it now, I'm definitely interested. I like misc games (can you tell me something about the gameplay you're planning?) and having a robot character sounds really interesting. If you choose to put the trial back up, I'll gladly play it and give feedback when I'm done with the awards ceremony.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

My dear friend, I can most certainly empathise with the feeling.
I myself released my first trial relatively recently (almost a year ago already?!), and feedback comes slowly... slowly dripping, bit at a time.
I mean, I was lucky I got feedback a couple of days after release, but plenty of months go by without a word, and then suddenly something, and then more months of silence.
By all means did I feel I did something wrong or that people weren't interested, but I've come to realise that that is just how it is here. Gives me time to work on other things I like. I'd recommend you do the same. Just kinda forget this, let people play it at their own rhythm. Maybe some comments will flow in. Maybe not. Release something else. Make yourself known.

I, for one, binge play a bunch of AAO cases a couple of times a year, maybe less, which means that anything released when I'm not in the mood just goes to the endless list of Eventually(TM). Not exactly the ideal scenario for me to help aspiring authors by providing helpful, timely feedback, making it all that much more hypocritical of me to expect immediate feedback to anything I make.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Marios2

Post by Marios2 »

Huh, after I quit the trial suddenly everyone wrote at least a paragraph regarding my leave. It's like when someone who's normally unpopular dies and his talent is only found after he dies. This isn't about talent, it's a trial, though the rest of the story is the same as this situation.

While I didn't expect for anyone to post immediately, I didn't expect people to post on unrelated stuff that was lower down the page like an older trial (Curiosity of a Turnabout in this case) and the annual awards which make sense to be posted on. Sure, I am no big name here, but if I have to watch paint dry until I can see a post then I know I'm not going to get used to this forum's rate.

This is nothing personal, of course. You all understand. My problem is with this waiting. If the posts are going to come this slow, then I don't think I'll wait a week until I get disappointed by a post that notes the minimal amount of gameplay and the minimal difficulty of it.

The trial itself isn't deleted, just turned private, but as mere comments take time to come, it'll be better to finish the trial first. And keeping the trial for myself is frankly starting to sound like a fine idea.