[CE][T] Trial by Fire: Turnabout Déjà Vu ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

[CE][T] Trial by Fire: Turnabout Déjà Vu ●

Post by TheDoctor »

Taking place almost a year after the final case in Shattered Glass, Trial by Fire: Turnabout Déjà Vu displays Miles Edgeworth take what may be the strangest case in his career so far. A case where, for once, he seems to be not one, not two, but five steps ahead of everyone else.
Play in Firefox
Click the box art to play
Notes:
  • Please refresh the page if the sound/images don't fully load.
  • Story Spoilers: JFA, T&T.
  • Character Sprite Spoilers: AA, JFA, AJ
  • Music Spoilers: N/A
  • Try saving and presenting at least one incorrect item during each cross-examination, just so you get to see the complete script.
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
First cross-examination: You should be familiar with this one. Just present the evidence that comes most naturally to you. I'll wait...

What? That didn't work? Try presenting the Autopsy Report at Meekins' following statement...
But he managed to write the
culprit's name on the ground
where he landed!

Second cross-examination: You should be familiar with this one. Just present the evidence that comes most naturally to you. I'll wait...

No seriously, present the glove at the statement about the bananas. He hasn't contradicted anything else yet.

Technically though, him seeing bananas at the crime scene isn't a contradiction either. Better press him now that you've fruitlessly (hehe, fruitlessly) tried to present the baseball glove.

He saw the writing on the ground, he says. I smell a contradiction here.

Enjoy the rest of the game.
Spoiler : Credits (spoilers) :
Music - Yuki Kajiura, Shoji Meguro
Original backgrounds and sprites - Capcom, Alchemist, Atlus

Custom Graphics:
Miles Edgeworth - Sligneris/TheDoctor
Maggey Byrde - Sligneris
Richard Wellington - DarklordQwerven/SuperAj3/Sligneris
Ema Skye - Hesseldahl/ApolloGrimiore/TheDoctor
Monokuma - Rofpa
Friedrich von Karma - TheDoctor
Backgrounds - TheDoctor/SilverGlas
Evidence - TheDoctor
Spoiler : Soundtrack ~ contains spoilers :
Almost all music is from the anime, Pandora Hearts. Certain tracks had portions suited for one theme, while another portion would be better suited for another theme. So, there's a bit of overlap.

Intro Theme: Foretaste
Defendant's Lobby: Crush
Court Begins: Crush
Logic: A shadow
Truth: A shadow
Cross-Examination ~ Moderato: Turn
Objection: Pandora Hearts
Cross-Examination ~ Allegro: Contractor
Pursuit: Bloody Rabbit
Victory: Will
Velvet Room: Aria of the Soul
Jingle: Melody
Last edited by TheDoctor on Thu May 04, 2017 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Re: [CE][T] Trial by Fire: Turnabout Déjà Vu ●

Post by Gamer2002 »

This definitely was shorter than my entry ;d
Spoiler : :
It's really funny how differently Edgeworth handled what happened to Phoenix in 2-1. And OH GOD FINALLY SOMEBODY NOTICES THIS NONSENSE ABOUT WRITING THINGS AFTER IMMEDIATE DEATH. It was also interesting, since it was the first trial of your "second game", and was filled with implications about the first one.
Graphics were great. I have a problem with the music, though. It wasn't bad, not at all. Only I can't help but think that it was bit of an overkill, with all the ZOMG THE JRPG EPICNESS feel of it.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Gamer2002 wrote:I have a problem with the music, though. It wasn't bad, not at all. Only I can't help but think that it was bit of an overkill, with all the ZOMG THE JRPG EPICNESS feel of it.
You know what? Yeah. I did note the music in my notes, but never could put my finger on how to describe it and why I didn't exactly like it. This is it, basically.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Now I look at the YT pic from the link of soundtrack, and yeah... This is something that would be a perfect pick during epic crazy Umineko-like trial, but here, hmm...
... Yes, it does have things that make it crazy Umineko-like trial. But you simply can't make 2-1 story "epic", in any possible way ;d
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

It'll probably fit better with the future cases. My main thing was that I wanted something different from Shattered Glass's music, and everyone and their grandfather uses Umineko music around here, so I chose this in hopes it'd be more unique (plus, I really like the music in general).

Also, I'll probably add a little more interaction to the final segment later on. I just wanted to go ahead and release what I already had.
Image Image Image
NihilismFormula

Post by NihilismFormula »

Hm. I'm not sure how to feel about this one. On the one hand it has some good setup stuff, foreshadowing, all that jazz.
On the other hand you're basically just replaying 2-1.
Might take a bit to properly get my feelings in order abt this game.
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

Two things I didn't like...
The monokuma and the weird anime vn-like crap. Seems completely unfitting and unnecessary, and would probably ruin my enjoyment in future cases.
Otherwise, it looks good and I enjoyed the digs at 2-1.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Spoiler : @Blizdi :
The monokuma will be explained (eventually); however, I'm not sure what you mean by anime vn-like crap. Could you please elaborate?
Image Image Image
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

TheDoctor wrote:
Spoiler : @Blizdi :
The monokuma will be explained (eventually); however, I'm not sure what you mean by anime vn-like crap. Could you please elaborate?
The monokuma is what I meant, really. I mean like... the implication it'll be a part of the series.
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

Response:
I can't say too much yet, but in case you're worried about one possible direction TbF might take, I'll just throw this out there: There will be no "Court Life of Mutual Killing," or anything similar involved. Monokuma does not play the exact same role here as he did in Danganronpa.
Image Image Image
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

TheDoctor wrote:Response:
I can't say too much yet, but in case you're worried about one possible direction TbF might take, I'll just throw this out there: There will be no "Court Life of Mutual Killing," or anything similar involved. Monokuma does not play the exact same role here as he did in Danganronpa.
I'll take your word for it :P
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

I liked it for what it was, but I also agree that there's very little here when it comes to the trial itself.
Spoiler : General spoilers :
And while the setup was interesting, it's pretty obvious this case can't stand on its own without the payoff, so I can only speak about, well, the actual setup -- and it was relatively intriguing overall. I'm kind of personally worried you're going too far in the crossover route, but again. Hard to say given that this shows very little overall. I admittedly also found the relationship between Edgeworth and Ema of all things a bit unexpected (and by extension, a bit awkward, simply because it's so unexpected. The 'I love you' from Edgeworth also threw me off a bit. Again, nothing wrong with it. At least, it wouldn't be if we had the context of the game which this game is a sequel to.)

The trial itself was pretty by the numbers. I did enjoy the ease with which Edgeworth got Maggey innocent, but overall, not a whole lot of twists and turns. Then again, perhaps that was the point?
Blizdi

Post by Blizdi »

The case made me think how cool a case would be where...
Spoiler : not really but just to be safe :
the PC loses a case, and for some reason gets sent back in time, and uses the knowledge of his loss to win
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

DWaM wrote:I liked it for what it was, but I also agree that there's very little here when it comes to the trial itself.
Spoiler : General spoilers :
And while the setup was interesting, it's pretty obvious this case can't stand on its own without the payoff, so I can only speak about, well, the actual setup -- and it was relatively intriguing overall. I'm kind of personally worried you're going too far in the crossover route, but again. Hard to say given that this shows very little overall. I admittedly also found the relationship between Edgeworth and Ema of all things a bit unexpected (and by extension, a bit awkward, simply because it's so unexpected. The 'I love you' from Edgeworth also threw me off a bit. Again, nothing wrong with it. At least, it wouldn't be if we had the context of the game which this game is a sequel to.)

The trial itself was pretty by the numbers. I did enjoy the ease with which Edgeworth got Maggey innocent, but overall, not a whole lot of twists and turns. Then again, perhaps that was the point?
I'll admit, I didn't give a whole lot of context to their relationship in Turnabout Reversal other than a bit of ship tease, so yes, I recognize that's kind of out of nowhere at this point. Hopefully, the backstory I have planned for them will make it seem more natural once you actually read it.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I played through the case.
I can't say I liked this case. The biggest problem showed up before the game even started.
Script wrote:Dlanor: What are you doing HERE?
Dlanor: This is the wrong COMPETITION. You're supposed to be in... Hmm?
Dlanor: My mouth actually moves in this GAMEBOARD... This is NEW.
Dlanor: Anyway, you are needed in Turnabout of the Golden WITCH. Why are you HERE?
Dlanor: You aren't even featured as a character on this GAMEBOARD...
Narrator: I know, but Shattered Glass used to be introduced with red text...
Narrator: It caused some confusion, so my narrator voice was needed. I'll get back with you as soon as I can.
Dlanor: Very well, see that you DO.
Narrator: Actually, now that I think of it, I could use your help with something...
Narrator: If I could have a word with you as soon as I'm done here?
Dlanor: Hmm... I suppose the other gameboard isn't going anywhere without US...
Dlanor: Just make it quick, PLEASE.
Narrator: Incidentally, if you didn't see her mouth moving, that's one of the reasons you need Firefox.
I thought I was playing Shattered Glass, but then you give us an Umineko character talking with the narrator (who is an actual character now) about another game, with apparent awareness that they are both game characters. It's quite jarring.

Then we get into the actual gameplay, the alternate universe part is a repeat of 2-1. The interesting part, with added flashbacks and the "reliving past," is decidedly more supernatural, and it becomes explicitly so at the end. All this leaves me confused as to what kind of game this is and what it has to do with your Shattered Glass and Golden Witch series.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson