Double Team Turnabout [C] [I] [T]

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Spybreak001
Spoken languages: English

Double Team Turnabout [C] [I] [T]

Post by Spybreak001 »

Double Team Turnabout is a dramatic comedy, but primarily a wacky and snarky comedy nonetheless, and an Ace Attorney parody/envisioning of the events of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. This is my very first attempt at making an AAO case, so the case was split into four parts for its overall release.

Plot Introduction:

Taking place in Sinnoh, several bounty hunters descend upon Team Galactic's headquarters during an unnaturally strong lightning storm, and one of Team Galactic's own commanders is found dead. Dr. Colress, a brilliant scientist formerly of Team Plasma who has recently allied himself with Team Galactic's research, is accused of the murder. Dragged by Maya into defending Dr. Colress, Phoenix soon uncovers the truth that Team Galactic is not as benevolent as they seem in their TV commercials and is planning to reset the entire universe to zero. With the storm outside growing alarmingly worse, Phoenix gets to work on uncovering the truth behind the murder, the mournful history behind Dr. Colress's past, and the secrets hidden behind the incident that brings all of time and space to the verge of starting the world anew.

Part 1 (Investigation Day 1): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=96491
Part 2 (Trial Day 1): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=98890
Part 3 (Investigation Day 2): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=99071
Part 4 (Trial Day 2): http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=99161

Resources Used:
Spoiler : :
All graphics in this case are photoshopped from various sources. The Pokemon characters are taken from the Pokemon anime, and the bounty hunters are animated poses from the comic VGcats. Backgrounds are lifted from both Pokemon and various sci-fi games, most prominently Deus Ex. Credit for the background of Edgeworth's office's at night to Greeny. This case purposefully goes for a lighthearted "comic-book" style theme with its effects and characters and uses various HQ trilogy sprites in anime-style inserts to mimic the format.

Both an array of custom Pokemon remixes and Ace Attorney OST remasters are present, courtesy of these wonderful artists:

-Alex N.
-ZameJack
-LD3005
-Jattello
-Luigigigas
Full Soundtrack:
Prologue, The Lightning Strikes - Deep Within the Hideout Remix, ZameJack
Investigation ~ Sinnoh Opening (Wright and Co.) - Jubilife City Remix, Alex N.
Investigation ~ Sinnoh Middle (Police Department, Edgeworth's office) - Veilstone City Remix, ZameJack
Kinsey and Tevin from Jubilife TV - Cyllage City, Pokemon X/Y
Team Galactic HQ - Galactic Eterna Building Remix, LD3005
Dr. Colress's Office - Sinnoh Pokemon League at Night Remix, ZameJack
Team Galactic Command Center - Team Galactic Hideout Remix, ZameJack
Colress tells Phoenix about Team Galactic's plans at Spear Pillar - Tikal, E.S. Posthumus
Colress talks about his past, Phoenix compares himself to Colress - Sinnoh Pokemon League at Night Remix, Alex N.
Reminiscence - The BW-2 Incident - Waltz of Loneliness, Black Rock Shooter OST
Colress's Theme Remix - ZameJack
Cyrus's Theme Remix - Alex N.
Gumshoe's Opening Statement: Mt. Coronet Remix, ZameJack
Objection! ~ 2001 Remix: ZameJack
"Team Galactic's on the witness stand at last" - Paul's Theme, Pokemon Anime OST
The Final Plan is Revealed - Decisive Battle! Pokemon League - ZameJack
Spear Pillar - Cyrus's Theme, Epic Orchestral Remix, Luigigigas
Epilogue - Route 209 Remix, ZameJack
Post-Game Sinnoh and End Credits - Frontier Brain Remix, Alex N.

The following tracks are Jattello's arrangements of the Ace Attorney 1-3 OST:
Elegy of the Surveillance Cameras
Court Begins ~ 2002
Investigation ~ Core 2001
More Happy People
Trick and Magic

Bonus Tangent/Easter Egg Sequences
Remnant of Twilight - Hyrule Warriors
Ultimate Koopa - Super Mario 64
One-Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Track 09: Split/Second
Gotham's Reckoning - The Dark Knight Rises OST
Escape Route Battle - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
"She's not looking at you carefully enough" - Fork in the Wall, No More Heroes OST
Tango with Edgeworth - Lilycove City, Pokemon Anime OST
Screenshots:

Walkthrough for Part One:
Move: Police Department
Move: Detention Center

Talk: The Murder
Talk: The Plan
Talk: Team Galactic
Talk: The Past

Move: Team Galactic HQ

-1F CORRIDOR-
Talk: The Crime
Talk: Any Assistance

-SECURITY ROOM-
Examine: TV Screen
Examine: Pikachu

-DR. COLRESS'S OFFICE-
Examine: Desktop Computer

-STAIRWELL-
Examine: Squirtle
Examine: Bidoof
Examine: Projector Screen

-2F CORRIDOR-
Examine: Porygon

Return to the Detention Center: To Court!

Walkthrough for Part Two:
Testimony 1: Tempest City

PRESENT: Weather Report on Statement #3

FORCE PRESENT: Pikachu
FORCE PRESENT: Ketchup

Testimony 2: A Tragedy of Sorts

PRESS: Statement #4
PRESENT: Porygon on the new Statement #4.

Testimony 3: Top Speed

PRESENT: Autopsy Report on Statement #9

FORCE PRESENT: Knife

Testimony 4: Infiltration

PRESENT: Building Report on Statement #3

FORCE PRESENT: Photo
SELECT CHOICE: The Security Camera Photo
FORCE PRESENT: Samus Aran OR HK47 (either one works)

Testimony 5: Bounty Hunter

PRESENT: Autopsy Report OR Building Report on Statement #3

FORCE PRESENT: Autopsy Report OR Building Report (whichever one you didn't choose)
FORCE PRESENT: Floor Plan

Testimony 6: Panic Room

PRESENT: Samus Aran on Statement #1

FORCE PRESENT: Security Camera Photo
FORCE PRESENT: HK47

Walkthrough for Part Three:
Move: Team Galactic HQ
Move: Stairwell
Move: 2F Corridor

-COMMAND CENTER-
Examine: Map of Sinnoh
Examine: Wall Panels

-CYRUS'S OFFICE-
Examine: Computer
Examine: Ion Rifle

Move: To Court!

Walkthrough for Part 4:
Testimony 7: Hostilities

PRESENT: Broadcast Report on Statement #1

Testimony 8: Serenity

PRESENT: Samus Aran OR Security Camera Photo on Statement #4

FORCE PRESENT: Samus Aran OR Security Camera Photo (whichever you didn't choose)
FORCE PRESENT: Ion Rifle

Testimony 9: Severity

PRESS: Statement #4

PRESENT: Cyrus on Statement #5

Testimony 10: Sentimentality

PRESENT: Building Report on Statement #3

FORCE PRESENT: Squirtle OR Bidoof

Testimony 11: Another Type of Contradiction

PRESENT: Newspaper Article on Statement #3

Testimony 12: The End of Tempest City

PRESENT: Autopsy Report OR Building Report on Statement #3

FORCE PRESENT: Autopsy Report OR Building Report (whichever one you didn't choose)
FORCE PRESENT: Team Galactic Memo
FORCE PRESENT: Building Report

FORCE PRESENT: Lustrous Orb
FORCE PRESENT: Ketchup

Update as of 11/11/17: apologies to anyone who had saves in parts 2 or 4, these are now modified. An assortment of miscellaneous changes and corrections, some tweaks like the beat drop being removed from the allegro's loop, and all four parts now added in a sequence.

Special thanks to Fanfreak247 for helping me with learning the ins and outs of the editor and providing general resources and assistance, as well as Super legenda for beta testing. Any suggestions, needed corrections, or feedback of any kind is always welcomed and appreciated.
Last edited by Spybreak001 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Re: Double Team Turnabout [C] [I] [T]

Post by Super legenda »

The trial goes very well
DarkNinja505

Post by DarkNinja505 »

The 'anime screenshots' idea was amaxzing. And the hot-damn custom sprites!

Some might say that this trial sucks, but I disagree!

Seriously, well done, chap.
Spybreak001

Post by Spybreak001 »

DarkNinja505 wrote:The 'anime screenshots' idea was amaxzing. And the hot-damn custom sprites!

Some might say that this trial sucks, but I disagree!

Seriously, well done, chap.
I'm pleased you disagree! Thank you so much. Part 3 is now complete and available to play, as well. Up next is the finale and largest part of the case, which will likely take a little while longer to do.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

That looks fun, it's great to see pictures!
I'd like to play it when I find some time.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Lex!
Spoken languages: Français (langue mat.), English (C1), Deutsch (B2)

Post by Lex! »

This was really fun to play ! A simple trial but the humor and all the custom sprites/animations/backgrounds + the sometimes really detailed optional conversations make it quite unique.
Spoiler : Part 2 :
Testimony 3 was just one of the best testimony I've ever went through. I did absolutely not regret pressing every single statement on this one. xD
I couldn't resist failing at least once per testimony just to see the inventive ways Phoenix uses to get away with his failures. ("LOOK THERE IS A CAR ON THE SIDEWALK ERGO I DID NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKE" :XD: )
I'm looking forward to playing the last part of this trial. =)
Phileas Tempo : Ace Attorney

Episode 1 : la soirée volte-face - version 2018

- Partie 1 : Débuts
- Partie 2 : Mystères
- Partie 3 : Tournant
- Partie 4 : Caedes
- Partie 5 : Final
Merci à Shania67 pour l'avatar !
DarkNinja505

Post by DarkNinja505 »

So I was playing Part 3, and you did a good job linking Phoenix to Colress, and it creeped me out a bit :?
And even if the world is destroyed as a result, so be it...
This trial really makes good use of the Pokemon characters (other than Jupiter, who's now just a dead body) and their personalities in the games: Colress' pursuit of potential, Cyrus's frightening plans of Universal Genocide, and the way you incorporated random characters
other than the infamous Claude Speed, but welp :P
Oh, and I suggest adding more Pokemon into the game, plus Edgeworth's Riolu for reasons...hell, make Riolu the killer, that would be an interesting plot twist :manella:

Once again, well done. This is a well-constructed crossover that almost seems canon for both universes, but with distinctive foreign tastes in both ways you look at it, plus blah blah blah critic praise mumbo jumbo.
Let me hear the voice of your Pokémon!

-N
Spybreak001

Post by Spybreak001 »

Lex! wrote:This was really fun to play ! A simple trial but the humor and all the custom sprites/animations/backgrounds + the sometimes really detailed optional conversations make it quite unique.
Spoiler : Part 2 :
Testimony 3 was just one of the best testimony I've ever went through. I did absolutely not regret pressing every single statement on this one. xD
I couldn't resist failing at least once per testimony just to see the inventive ways Phoenix uses to get away with his failures. ("LOOK THERE IS A CAR ON THE SIDEWALK ERGO I DID NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKE" :XD: )
I'm looking forward to playing the last part of this trial. =)
Thanks much! I'm glad you noticed the easter eggs hidden in there. Nearly every cross-examination's null objection will give you the option of taking the penalty and getting some valid advice, or bluffing your way out of the penalty with an extended "Chewbacca defense" style monologue, argument, or other whatnot. For a good laugh I genuinely recommend screwing up at least once on every cross-examination.

And whew! The fourth part is now completed and released. This concludes Double Team Turnabout. I hope you enjoy it!
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

Wow, only three weeks since i test your first part, and now you publish the end of this incredible case.
Congratulations, Spybreak001.
DarkNinja505

Post by DarkNinja505 »

YEAHAAAH. AWESOME.

And nothing's changing my mind. It may not have been on par with the big-league casewriters, but for a start, this is indeed a wonderful case. I've never really seen Pokemon - Ace Attorney crossovers until this one, but hey, as an experienced Pokemon player (nah, not really), this easily is among one of the best out there.

I liked a lot of the references and direction of the plot. At first, nothing seems to make sense; like how a crossover sounds like; but then te story starts to go deeper and darker and you get to enjoy it. The awesome music choices and anime screenshot idea made things a lot more exciting. I almost jumped hearing Cyrus's battle music in the 3rd part ending, it was damn dramatic (or I'm a retard, works both ways). :phoenix:

HUGE SPOILERS:
I can't seem to stop thinking that I was somehow involved in the culprit's identity.
Hell, make riolu the killer, that would make for an interesting plot twist.
Of all the people in the case you could've given the title of murderer to - it could have been HK47. It could have been Claude Speed. It could have been Edgey. I could have been Udgey (although that's already taken) - but no. You went full-on crazy DWaM-style plot twist and made PIKACHU the killer. The murder weapon question got me stuck too, because I was completely unsure whether Pikachu was male or female, so I saved the 'Iron Tail Super Effective Human Died' idea for last. Hell, I only got it right because I thought the autopsy was screwed up and Pikachu actually shocked Jupiter with Thunder... Ey.
All in all, a great case! I'm waiting for a sequel, or maybe a full-on Ace Attorney fancase. I loved it. Nothing's changing that. Now go on and make some more amazing cases - We'll be waiting.

Riou!
Lex!
Spoken languages: Français (langue mat.), English (C1), Deutsch (B2)

Post by Lex! »

Spoiler : part 3 :
Presenting the bomb to Gumshoe must be one of my favorite optional moments of all time. :XD: Really glad that you put so much effort in all the Present/Investigate stuff.
Playing part 4 now, commenting as I play (and sorry for my imperfect English, it's not my mother language) :
Spoiler : part 4, big spoilers :
All right ! Let's follow your advice and let's fail once per testimony !

- All the custom stuff used in this trial is really cool.
- Thanks for the help in testimony 2, Udgey !
- That "I disagree" pop-up. :XD:
- The face of Phoenix during the HK47 repairing scene is priceless.
- I agree. Tom Nook is the evilest villain of all time.
- The contradiction in testimony 9 was not intuitive at all (at least, for me). I did not expect that. o_o I don't know why, but I simply thought that the victim was not reacting because she was already dead. I didn't really think further. :hotti:
- MY GOD THAT CLOSE-UP ANIMATION WITH ALL THE SURPRISED CHARACTERS when you call Cyrus to the stand. That's so simple, but that really works and gave me chills. :P
- Cyrus's battle theme fits well in the trial.
- That philosophical moment during Cyrus's first testimony... this end-of-the-world atmosphere... I didn't expect that in this kind of trial.
- Well, let's question some Pokémon then ! ...what the hell is this testimony. I. don't. understand. Were we supposed to have a clue of what to do in this testimony or the aim was to present every possible proof at every possible statement / look at the walkthrough ? o_o
- That plot twist tho. Absolutely didn't expect that. :XD:
- Hey, some of the Pokémon themes fit surprisingly well in a Ace Attorney game. Who would've thought ?

If I had one reproach it would be on the way the trial is handled itself in terms of gameplay : most of the time the witnesses describe the same scene and a lot of the contradictions concentrate on the power outage/time of death + the structure of every testimony is almost the same (direct contradiction or press 1 time -> the pressed sentence is contradictory). Perhaps it could have had some more variations in the course of the testimonies. (Aaaand that's the time where I wished I had a better English to elaborate my thoughts. Well. I hope that you understand what I'm saying. :hotti:)

But in general I really liked how this trial goes and its originality. :)

Welp, just finished the game. It was really distracting and fun to play. I hope you'll do more trials in the future ! I really like your writing/editing style.
Phileas Tempo : Ace Attorney

Episode 1 : la soirée volte-face - version 2018

- Partie 1 : Débuts
- Partie 2 : Mystères
- Partie 3 : Tournant
- Partie 4 : Caedes
- Partie 5 : Final
Merci à Shania67 pour l'avatar !
Spybreak001

Post by Spybreak001 »

Lex! wrote:Welp, just finished the game. It was really distracting and fun to play. I hope you'll do more trials in the future ! I really like your writing/editing style.
Thanks much! I'm glad you liked it! I agree with pretty much all of your points.

The one trick to testimony 11's contradiction, though:
When pressing the third statement, there's a word out of place. Specifically, there's a snicker at the end, which should hopefully lead to the newspaper article demonstrating the laugh that accompanied the previous murders. It's easy to miss, though, I even find myself not noticing it as much as I should.
Honestly contradictions and trial flow are not a specialty of mine, so most of what you see here is present because I love the characters so much, and wanted to do something meaningful with them. I'll see about doing another one eventually, because I loved making this. I just have to find something I'm equally passionate about in order to get the subject matter and tone done justice. This one took some balancing in order to make it go back and forth between its few emotionally serious moments and its end-of-the-world tone, and the moments of complete and utter silliness without ruining either of those.

DarkNinja505 wrote:YEAHAAAH. AWESOME.

And nothing's changing my mind. It may not have been on par with the big-league casewriters, but for a start, this is indeed a wonderful case. I've never really seen Pokemon - Ace Attorney crossovers until this one, but hey, as an experienced Pokemon player (nah, not really), this easily is among one of the best out there.

I liked a lot of the references and direction of the plot. At first, nothing seems to make sense; like how a crossover sounds like; but then te story starts to go deeper and darker and you get to enjoy it. The awesome music choices and anime screenshot idea made things a lot more exciting. I almost jumped hearing Cyrus's battle music in the 3rd part ending, it was damn dramatic (or I'm a retard, works both ways). :phoenix:

All in all, a great case! I'm waiting for a sequel, or maybe a full-on Ace Attorney fancase. I loved it. Nothing's changing that. Now go on and make some more amazing cases - We'll be waiting.
Riou!
And thanks so much as well! I can't draw, so pulling characters from crossovers is what I prefer, but to be honest, I prefer the concept of crossovers over making new characters anyway. Myself, I want fancases that take Phoenix to places and people you would never see in an actual Ace Attorney game. The important part is to bring these characters together with a meaningful story, a fitting setting, and believable (or at least highly amusing) interactions between them, so it doesn't feel stupid or silly, but with a bit of suspension of disbelief, feels like all these characters might as well be in the same big video game universe, no matter what they are.

That Riou was for you. :D
DarkNinja505

Post by DarkNinja505 »

Wow, thanks! Kinda obvious at this point that Riolu is one of my personal favorite Pokemon, so heh...
It's a cute little kung fu puppy, who can resist?

Either way, this comment here is for some ideas of crossovers you might want to try, but I play games that aren't all that popular, so... shouts to you if you know Persona 5. Or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Although the Mystery Dungeon setting actually fits for just about all types of crossovers, so...
In the games, you're basically a human who's turned into a Pokemon for random worldly reasons and now live in a community full of Pokemon alone. (or that's what you think you are, you could be a Charmander who's taken a hundred too many bottles of booze :manella: ) You could turn Phoenix into...something blue and black (only Lucario and Luxray come to mind for me. Riolu and Shinx are little kids, and as of now Phoenix is 36 and has a daughter, so...). You could turn Apollo into a Blaziken or a Solrock (because the sun). A world like this gives so many options and opportunities for victims, characters, scenes, and even weapons. Oh shiet, this guy's been killed with a blade! But only the victim in this house knows Slash! How in hell are we supposed to find the answers!?

Persona is a game with mechanics somewhat similar to Pokemon in that certain attacks are more effective against certain foes. Except you're not controlling animals, but a magical embodiment of your soul. Or eight of those, because you have so many personalities...? I'm just a newbie at this game, but the story seems quite intriguing and lively, because Japanese High School Anime Monster Drama has never been made better. (Unless anyone out there can tell me something or two, since I don't watch high school magical drama-stuff) Just like above, you've got the dozens of opportunities for any key element in the story.

TV shows and books are also a great start for this. Well, you could go for Harry Potter or Percy Jackson or The Simpsons...but that's not that appealing, and game crossovers just work far better anyways.