Fast-forward to now and the trial is sitting at around 4000 frames + Short Prologue, 3000-ish of those made in a week. What the heck happened!? Well, this competition happened. Thank you so much to Enthalpy for hosting this competition. It was only thanks to it that I could sit down, plot things out, and finish this case! Thank you, again. Also, I stole your synopsis.
"A man goes to the library to study mathematics. He promptly gets arrested for murdering a man in said library. Ah, too relatable.
Our mathematician defends himself from the nefarious Prosecutor Beth - a man without qualification, an airheaded(?) idol detective, the usual lying witnesses, and the anger of the entire court as the defendant insults them without even trying."
In my own words, this is the story of the unluckiest man you will ever know. Please, enjoy the show.
This trial utilises a lot of variables in order to progress, and remembers some of your failures.
Please avoid using saves unless truly necessary.
- Added some more assets to clarify events.
- Added another conversation for presenting the same evidence twice.
- Added more sound effects to the prologue.
- Replaced many instances of *actions* like these with different descriptions.
- Rewrote some of Randall's line to make his personality more consistent with the Main Trial.
- Reworded a number of sentences to make them clearer. Some prompts better hint at what they're asking for.
- Added a number of new frames to fix slight transitional inconsistencies with the many paths or other bugs.
- Added a new unique conversation for an instance in which you present evidence you've already presented.
- Made the date and time of the crime a bit clearer and more consistent.
- Random fixes ahoy. Made the dialogue and transitions in CE5 smoother.
- Random fixes. Changed plotpoint in CE1 and 2 and 3 to make the situation more plausible and less complicated.
- Added a new possible objection to CE3.
- Added a bunch of lines explaining exactly what Randall is thinking and doing rather than leaving it unclear.
- CE4 hopefully made easier.
11/01/2019 - Fixed a few instances of decidedly bad wording.
07/11/2018 - Fixed a few typos.
05/11/2018 - Release.
Aligning pictures is easy!
PROMPT - Will write a blurb of the prompt followed by the answer.
ALTERNATIVE - An alternative way to progress.
EXTRA - Leads to extra dialogue but does not progress from the prompt or CE
PENALTY - A unique penalty.
Press all Statements.
(getting penalised here alters dialogue a little in a CE3 press conversation)
EXTRA: Present My Memories at Statement 2.
Present My Memories at Statement 3. Then, Present Danllo's Investigation at the new Statement.
EXTRA: Present Theresa Reinhart at Statement 2.
EXTRA: Present Traces of Blood at new Statement.
EXTRA: Present Autopsy Report at new Statement (does almost the same as pressing).
Present My Memories at Last Statement. Then, Present Danllo's Investigation at last Statement.
ALTERNATIVE: Present My Memories at last Statement. Then, Present Library Diagram at Last Statement. Then, Present Danllo or Danllo's Investigation. (Note: If you present the diagram and then pick wrong evidence, you will receive a double penalty if you try to bluff having pressed CE3-1 or CE3-3)
EXTRA: Present Bloody Knife at Last Statement.
EXTRA: Press statement 4. Then, Present My Memories at the same statement. Finally select that you are objecting because of what you were doing. This doubles a penalty later.
EXTRA: If you enter the co-counsel three times before presenting 'My Memories' Theresa will discover the contradiction for you (this does not change dialogue, only adds).
EXTRA: Co-Counsel conversation changes after presenting 'My Memories'. It also updates 'Danllo's Investigation' with new information.
EXTRA: CE3-1 includes CE3-3's press conversation if you have not yet pressed it. This press conversation unlocks a penalty later.
Press Statement 2. Select Paragraph 4. Stop there. Press Statement 2 again, and Select Paragraph 4 again. Ask what colour the book he dropped was.
You may present it at Statement 4, or Press Statement 2 and ask about the knife (if you have asked all the new questions already).
EXTRA: Present Facing the Bookshelf at Statement 3. Then, present Browsing a Book or Yellow Book. (You will only be able to move on if you possess one of these. Failing twice to present them unlocks a new line. Because why not?)
EXTRA: Present Library Diagram at Statement 1 (you will be penalised if the librarian explained the library layout to you).
EXTRA: Present Browsing a Book at Statement 4. Allegro will now play.
EXTRA: Pressing Statement 2 gives you a variety of options. Check below.
2nd Paragraph - If you have Browsing a Book you can press further here (assuming you did not already object using Browsing a Book).
4th Paragraph - Press twice to gain access to three questions. You are free to ask them all. Once you have asked them all, you will return to the original question. Once you have the original question back you can press further.
5th Paragraph - The first time you select this paragraph there is a unique scene.
6th Paragraph - You may press further freely here. (Pressing Statement 5 changes dialogue slightly)
PROMPT - "Allow me to explain..."
Select options until you move forward.
PROMPT - "This evidence could explain the discrepancy..."
Present Autopsy Report.
EXTRA: Present My Memories.
EXTRA: Present Danllo's Investigation or Gretta Danllo. (Changes dialogue later.)
EXTRA: Present Theresa Reinhart. (Slightly changes a plotpoint)
PENALTY: The first time you present wrong evidence you get a unique scene and no penalty.
PROMPT - "Someone fooled you"
Present Henry Park.
ALTERNATIVE: Present Robert Life.
EXTRA: All other profiles have unique responses and no penalty.
If you presented Henry Park, present Robert Life. Otherwise, present Henry Park.
Listen to the co-counsel conversation, claim you have evidence that shows what happened inside, then Present Wallbreak the Fourth and 'Theresa's Phone or Yellow Hat' in any order. If you do not present Theresa's Phone now, you will get a Prompt where you will have to present it.
EXTRA: Present Safely at the co-counsel conversation. (unlocks Present later)
EXTRA: After Pressing Last Statement and Listening to Co-Counsel once, Pressing Last Statement unlocks Yellow Hat.
Note: You could remain here presenting stuff indefinitely, because I am not implementing a fail-safe for presenting things that you've already presented. If that's what you want to do, feel free to waste your time. I did! The wonders of coming back to a project months later.
In order to progress, you need to unlock the truth in each of the four statements by pressing them and then:
Statement 1: Present Danllo's Investigation and Tea Cellar, in any order.
EXTRA: Present Epilepsy Medicine. Present again for extra dialogue.
Statement 2: Requires unlocking the truth in Statement 1.
Statement 3: Present Bloody Knife.
EXTRA: Traces of Blood.
Statement 4: Unlock the truth in statement 1. Present Safely Guard (or not, there's no penalty).
PROMPT - "I'd like to call..."
Present Safely Guard or Robert Life (if you presented Safely in CE5).
Listen to the co-counsel conversation, if you can.
The rest of the game can be played by trying all the options. There are no penalties or parts to get stuck on, except one that asks you to select an area in a picture. The answer is the right arm.
Do not look in here if you haven't played yet. And if you have, the in-game credits are ten and a three fourths times better.
- Enthalpy (Competition)
- Randall sprites by gotMLK7.
- Tea and Theresa by DragonTrainer.
- Henry and Gretta done by Hesseldahl.
- Prosecutor by LunchPolice.
- Wallbreak's Edits done by me.
Music & Sound (including nonsensical names for the tracks made-up by me):
- Theresa and Lisa voice clips by Rina-chan, also know as Kira Buckland.
- Randall voice clips by me.
- Bethan voice clips by Lind.
- Cross-Examination ~ Moderato (Level Up by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Cross-Examination ~ Allegro (Reformat by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Objection! ~ If I May...? (Go Cart by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Final Objection ~ Did You Think You Were Innocent? (Rhinoceros by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Beth Oven ~ No Bluffs! (Sinfonia No 3 in D Major by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Beth Oven ~ Evil Desperation (Intended Force by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- A Place of Learning and Murder (Divertimento K131 by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Logical Reflection (On The Ground by Kevin Macleod - Creative Commons)
- Suspence (Beta-B by Kan Gao - To The Moon)
- Mysterious Morning (Between a Squirrel and a Tree by Kan Gao - To The Moon)
- Happy Like a Child (World's Smallest Ferris Wheel by Kan Gao - To The Moon)
- Trial ~ A Court for Beginners (Door of Truth by KATE - Fate/ hollow ataraxia)
- Critical Thinking (March of the Dreadnoughts by Masashi Hamauzu - Final Fantasy XIII)
- Pursuit track is "Naoe Yamato" from Majikoi. (Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!!)
- Tell the Truth (Courtroom Shuffle, a fan track from Homestruck, a Land of Fans and Music 3)
- Credits theme is Gerudo Valley, from Super Smash Bros. series.
-Safely's speech patterns borrowed from Digital: A Love Story