[T][PyWright] Turnabout of the Golden Witch ●

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Xak
Spoken languages: English

[T][PyWright] Turnabout of the Golden Witch ●

Post by Xak »

Warning: This case contains strong language.
Hey there.

I've lurked the site for a while now, and I figured why not use my first post for a shameless plug! I finished making this crossover case about four months ago now, but remembered I never got around to posting it here (although I know a fair number of folks here have already played it...). As luck would have it, I recently updated the case to incorporate some feedback I received from players, and I'm a bit happier with the finished product now. You can read more about the case, as well as download it, by clicking the banner above! Some quick notes about the case:
  • ● It's a crossover between Ace Attorney and Umineko no Naku Koro ni, as you may have guessed. The Ace Attorney connection is limited to gameplay, disregarding sprite re-use.
  • ● The optional "prologue" (a separate download on the itch.io page above) story contains spoilers through episode 8 of Umineko, but can be safely skipped.
  • ● The case itself contains light/vague spoilers through episode 2 of Umineko, with an off-hand reference to a character from episode 3. I would honestly say that familiarity with the Red Truth and Blue Truth is sufficient, but if you're super sensitive to spoilers, just skip it.
  • ● Please don't try to run the game with a previous PyWright install! The game requires some hacks to the engine, so it'll only work "smoothly" with the bundled version of PyWright.
Special Thanks to FerdieLance, whose lovely review/feedback inspired me to work on the aforementioned update. The changes ended up being a bit more involved than I originally expected, so apologies in advance for any bugs I probably introduced from the old release. Full credits are available on the itch.io page.

Thanks for checking out the case, and I appreciate all thoughts/feedback!
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: [T][PyWright] Turnabout of the Golden Witch ●

Post by enigma »

This is a good case with a lot of love and effort put into it! Even if you're only slightly familiar with Umineko, I recommend you check it out!
Xak

Post by Xak »

enigma wrote:This is a good case with a lot of love and effort put into it! Even if you're only slightly familiar with Umineko, I recommend you check it out!
A non-trivial amount of that effort being your editing of the script. Thanks again!
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

So, I played the case last night! I have to say, I was excited to play another Umineko game. My spoiler-free thoughts are that the logic was a little bit difficult to follow sometimes, and the ending seemed a little rushed. Nevertheless, the story overall was really interesting, and I like how crazy some schemes were!
Spoiler : Some more thoughts (Spoilers!) :
There are a few things that bugged me, though. First of all, I could have sworn Luther had mentioned "gunshots" when he was talking about being in his post until he heard that. But I guess I could have misread it. And secondly, there was no indication that 3 pieces of evidence are needed in that Thought Route segment. I'll admit that after some failed attempts with 2 pieces (and after testing Blocks-Curtain and Curtain-Fireplace two time to be sure order wasn't an issue), I resorted to the txt files for the scene after to see that all 3 are correct. An indication like in a latter point would help (maybe have the second piece appear in the middle, instead, when there are three pieces?)

One other thing unrelated to the logic of the case, I somehow managed to break the saving function. Text was written already, and I wasn't in the Thought Route. It was the first statement of Luther's CE, if that helps. Saving at any point after that just crashed PyWright and the save wasn't registered. I even tried redownloding it; still couldn't save. Thankfully the pre-built save before the Thought Route worked (I had 1 penatly left...)

These issues aside, I have to say I loved the humour of the case. Especially the fact that they had to keep telling Battler everyone had all their fingers attached :calisto:

While I can recognise the bases for both Battler and Beato, it was convincing enough that they were themselves (one thing to note, though, Beato's upper left (->) arm when she is holding her cane is shaded a bit too much for being angled downwards; just a little detail I caught)
Overall, it is definitelly worth to play this!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xak

Post by Xak »

Nicky Boy wrote:So, I played the case last night! I have to say, I was excited to play another Umineko game...
Thanks for playing, and for your thoughts!
Spoiler : :
Regarding the gunshot(s), the word gunshots doesn't appear in the script, so it does seem like a misread. Your brain probably subconsciously corrected the witness :chew:

As for the super present, I can't say you're the first to be thrown off by that. I don't really want to spell out for the player when they need to use 2 vs when they use 3, as that's sort of the point of the super objection. However, I think I could've done a better job of spelling out the upper limit for the player a bit more clearly, as at least one other player got stuck there because they thought 2 was the upper bound. Ah, well.

That save bug sounds nasty! I'd like to try to reproduce it, but I'm not sure what CE you're referring to: I don't think Luther testifies after the thought route. Are you perhaps talking about Estelle's first testimony?
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Oh sorry, I forgot a word there; I meant Luther's first statement in the first CE (so waaay before the Thought Route!)

As for the super objection, yeah, a heads up about having a three maximum would be nice!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xak

Post by Xak »

Wait, but if the save function broke during that early CE, how did you have access to the pre-thought route save? :random:
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Honestly, I'm not sure. But thankfully it worked; No offense, but I wasn't gonna try the game from start that many times I did for that Thought Route :gumshoe:
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xak

Post by Xak »

Reasonable enough, just trying to understand so I can reproduce...

We're talking about literally the first CE in the case here, right? So I'm confused as to the order of events... Did you die in the thought route and then load a save from all the way back to the first CE? I tried reproducing a similar situation, where I had the game make the thought route auto-save, then loaded back to a previous save from the aforementioned statement in the first CE. I was still able to load that successfully and save without crashing the game.

When you tried re-downloading to fix the problem, did you just copy that save file from the first CE into the new game files?
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Actually, dying had nothing to do with this! I could reload just fine, having died or not.

The issue here is that I could not save. After I saved the first time, every other attmot to save again failed; I tried to save after getting more info about the roof of the museum, but PyWright just closed. I could reload the first save just fine, but I could not save again. I couldn't save before accessing said save either, regardless of where I tried to save (Thought Route excluded, since I read your warning).

When I redownloaded, I didn't copy anything. But.... Now that I think of it, I din't remove the save that remained from overwriting, though I don't know how a leftover save that I didn't load, for the record, still cause the program to crash

If I'm still unclear, let me know. I'll try to word it better
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xak

Post by Xak »

I see, so you literally played the game having only saved once, during that first CE? That's... impressive, to say the least.
...I couldn't save before accessing said save either, regardless of where I tried to save...
Not sure what you mean by this. As in, before you ever needed to load the cursed save in the first place?
Now that I think of it, I din't remove the save that remained from overwriting, though I don't know how a leftover save that I didn't load, for the record, still cause the program to crash
So after re-downloading, did you pick up from the autosave, and then try to save after this point as well? And that still crashed the game? Super weird! Can't say I've heard of anyone else having this problem, but I'll keep it in mind in case anyone else encounters it. PyWright is pretty finicky though, so I can't say I'm too surprised to hear this.
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

I couldn't save even when I didn't load from the broken save. It's as if PyWright just stopped saving alltogether, rather than failing to save after a broken save was already loaded.

And actually, I redownloaded before the Thought Route! When I encountered the problem a couple of times during the first two CEs, I decided I couldn't play without saves... The did just that, because I wanted to finish the case no matter what :?
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Xak

Post by Xak »

Jeez, that's an absolute nightmare. Sounds like that particular save file was completely breaking the save functionality. Sorry for
any frustration there...
Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Yeah... But don't worry, I made it the end, after all! I just hope people don't encounter problems like this and end up quiting
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage