[T] [CE] A Turnabout for Christmas

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

trialdude
Spoken languages: English

[T] [CE] A Turnabout for Christmas

Post by trialdude »

A Turnabout For Christmas

Click image to play!

Winner of the No Place Like AAO for the Holidays Comp by DJJ6800

Apollo just wants to have a nice, relaxing Christmas. Is that too much to ask!? This is Ace Attorney, so of course it is.

There's been a murder at the local mall. The suspect? The mall Santa! Can Trucy and Apollo unmask the true killer and save Christmas?
Spoiler : Credits :
Prologue Theme - Silent Night (Dark Piano Version) by Myuu
Talent Agency Theme - Sparkleton Theme from Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
Victory Theme - Polastraits Theme from Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
Cross-Examination Theme - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy
Veronica Purchess - Diana Golde by DragonTrainer
Credits Theme - My Parody of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy
Outside Location by Greeny
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Investigation
Move to Detention Center
Exhaust Talk Options
Move to Santa's Workshop
Exhaust Talk Options
Examine Body
Examine Bag
Move to both Victim's Office and Security Room
Victim's Office: Exhaust Talk Options, Examine Safe
Security Room: Exhaust Talk Options, Present Cameras, Examine Coat
Move to Santa's Workshop
Move to Detention Center
Present Love Letter
Exhaust Talk Options

Trial
Testimony 1: Press all statements

Testimony 2: Press Statement 3, Present Safe at New Statement, Press Statement 2, Select "Stanley Miller"

Testimony 3: Present Love Letter at Statement 1

Testimony 4: Present Love Letters at Statement 5

"Yes", "It's not possible", Present Gun or Autopsy Report, "He Didn't Die at 4:30", "Present a Theory", Present Hal Shields

Testimony 5: Press Statement 3, "What did the coroner say about it?", "Yes", Present Autopsy Report at New Statement

Present Hal Shields

Present Love Letters

Testimony 6: Present Love Letters at Statement 4 or 7
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
keyz05

Re: [T] [CE] A Turnabout for Christmas

Post by keyz05 »

My Review:

Nice Trial. Though, there were lore and case problems. Here are my points:

- Some of the court designs weren't from the Original Trilogy. They have to be from the Apollo Justice arc, the darkened brown ones.
- Apollo's Objection is not the "Trials and Tribulations" objections. It's the normal "A New Trial Is In Session" Objection!
- I honestly didn't like the Moderato and Allegro being replaced by the Sugar Plum fairy theme. It should've been the ones from Apollo's "Moderato" and "Allegro" from his game.
- You forgot to add "Veronica Purchase" in the Profiles menu.

Things I liked:
- Apollo meeting Larry. Especially, the real Santa getting arrested for running over Phoenix Wright.
- The "Phoenix Got Run Over by a Reindeer" was pretty funny and played till the end.

Overall, not a bad game/fic. Keep up the great work. :)
Awsome2464

Post by Awsome2464 »

A pretty fun trial, I must admit! There were a few errors here and there, such as the detention center and courtroom occasionally jumping to the original trilogy designs rather than the Apollo Justice ones and moving from locations in the mall would not change the background to the correct one, but for the most part, I very much enjoyed it and it felt like it could be a real case in an official game with a few tweaks. The characters were written well, and the ending, while pretty absurd even by Ace Attorney standards, was still hilarious. Overall, a great case that you should be proud of!
Image Image
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

A pretty fun trial, I must admit! There were a few errors here and there, such as the detention center and courtroom occasionally jumping to the original trilogy designs rather than the Apollo Justice ones and moving from locations in the mall would not change the background to the correct one, but for the most part, I very much enjoyed it and it felt like it could be a real case in an official game with a few tweaks. The characters were written well, and the ending, while pretty absurd even by Ace Attorney standards, was still hilarious. Overall, a great case that you should be proud of!
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I have the stupidest username in all of AAO. Nowhere else will you find one more stupid.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I tried playing this case, and I encountered a gamebreaking bug.
Spoiler : :
I never received the blonde cashier's profile, so I can't present her as the other person who should have been around at 4:30.
Could you figure out how that happened and fix it?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

Should be fixed now! Sorry about that.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

...I'm confused again.
I'm at the pseudo-Thought Route after Klavier springs the keycard records on us.

At this point in the trial, do we believe Veronica was at the mall or not? If yes, why is she not on the keycards, and why is she not accepted as an answer to the prompt about who else was there at 4:30? If not, then why do we use her testimony to confirm that Larry was in the building on frame 2045?
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

Spoiler : answer for Enthalpy :
I'm at the pseudo-Thought Route after Klavier springs the keycard records on us.
At this point in the trial, do we believe Veronica was at the mall or not? If yes, why is she not on the keycards, and why is she not accepted as an answer to the prompt about who else was there at 4:30? If not, then why do we use her testimony to confirm that Larry was in the building on frame 2045?

Veronica witnessed the body through the front doors, without going in. It's very possible I didn't make this clear enough, though; my playtester was also confused about this. Hopefully this helps!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Spoiler : Response :
I'm not surprised.

First, this is counterintuitive. I have never known a department store to put a Santa display right at the entrance. You'd normally have that further back, so parents/kids have a chance to view more merchandise first and it's easier for parents to slip away to do some shopping.

The second reason is because you just barely mentioned this, and in a very easy cross-examination. It's easy to read the first half of "But as I was about to go in, I saw Larry standing there, looking real scared." as "But as I was about to go in to the Santa's Workshop part of the department store, I saw Larry standing there."

To me, this looks like a time to elaborate in the actual testimony. This is a short and vague testimony as-it-is.
I can either keep on with that clarification in mind or let you make the changes and modify my save state. I just need to know which one you're doing, so I'm prepared for whether or not my saves are going to break.
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

You can just keep on going with that clarification. I'll keep this in mind should I ever give a rewrite a shot.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Okay, I finished playing this case.
In the interests of stopping myself from writing way too much, I'm either going to write about case logic or the writing. Do you have a preference for which I talk about?

Or better yet, could you tell me what this case was going for? It looks to me like it wanted to be a standard AA case, but I want to confirm that.
trialdude

Post by trialdude »

Yeah, it's just a normal case.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Alright then. I'm more inclined to talk about characterization.

I'm confused by a few points about Veronica, and I'd like to check if I'm missing something before writing a long post. In the first investigation scene, why does she refuse to talk about anything except her job? She gives off the feel as somebody who wants as much attention as possible, so not taking the chance to come up with some grand story about herself seems a bit off. We learn that she has a crush on Larry, so why does she not give off signs that she's conflicted about accusing Larry? She seems fairly confident in her accusation throughout the entire trial. Similarly, does Veronica honestly believe that she has some prestigious position in Santa's Workshop? That's the reason she gives for her perjury, but she gives up the reason surprisingly easily.