[T] Matt Silver: Ace Attorney ★★★○ (Small Update)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Narokh
Spoken languages: German, English

[T] Matt Silver: Ace Attorney ★★★○ (Small Update)

Post by Narokh »

Important Announcement!
Spoiler : Announcement :
As most of those who followed my trials surely have noticed, I have become almost completely inactive (at least as far as trialmaking goes) here.
I have stated numerous times that I want to finish the series at some point. And case 4, The Entangled Turnabout, which is supposed to be the big finish to conclude the story and answer all those open questions, turned out to be my biggest and most ambitious project yet.

And while playing and completing Dual Destinies (which, a bit aside from the topic, is an awesome game!) brought a new breath of motivation to me, I realized something very important.
As much as I want to bring the series to a glorious, worthy finish, my life has changed over the last years. I have less and less time to dedicate to everything this trial would require.

It is a sad fact that I will not be able to finish it...

...alone! (Got you there, didn't I? :gray: )

And for this reason, I am now officially looking for people who would be interested in working on the final case of the Matt Silver series with me.
Don't get me wrong, the series is still my Brainchild, and I intend to do the majority of the work (such as actually building the case in the casemaker and so on).
So I am looking for two people to assist me.

The first would be what I could only describe as a "detail writer".
I have the main storyline worked out. I know what will happen and (approximately) in what order, but the Ace Attorney games have always been about the details. So I need someone to help me with details such as what kind of evidence will appear, what kinds of contradictions could be used and so forth. As I mentioned, I have the storyline worked out, and a couple of evidence/contradictions as well, but there are so much more fine details that need to be worked out.
Those interested should expect to work out a lot of details within a set story parameter. So to speak, I provide the starting point and destination, with some landmarks on the way, while you help determining how said way will actually look.
Of course, I will work closely together with whoever decides to take on this task, bring in my own ideas, help work our ideas together and whatnot.

And second, I need someone to create some custom sprites for the case.
I am fairly satisfied with the custom sprites I made myself. However, they took a considerable amount of time, and since I have not worked with sprites for a long while, I would basically learn everything from scratch again. This is time I simply do not have!

While obviously this could be done by multiple people (and I would greatly appreciate anybody who would like to work on a custom sprite for a character that has none yet), there are a few selected characters that are great spoilers, and thus I would want to leave them all in the hand of a single person.
My demands for the sprites are not terribly high or unreasonable (or at least I hope so). The style should blend in with the regular AA characters, and quality should be somewhere around what my own custom sprites have. So, simple edits/frankensprites would fully suffice.
These would be 3-4 characters that I would want to be sprited by one person. As mentioned, if anybody else is interested in doing a custom sprite for a single character from the series, just let me know.

Obviously, those who would be interested to work on the case with me would be required to have a majority (or all) of the story spoiled - the co-writer considerably more than the spriter, of course! So please consider this, as well as the fact that I will ask those who accept to keep all the infos they receive to themselves, before applying!

With all that out of the way, let's see how much interest this will catch. Please send me a PM if you're interested, and we can discuss further details.
Important Announcement #2
Spoiler : :
Ever since posting that first announcement, I have been thinking quite a bit about the final case and the series in its entirety.
The plans I have for the 4th case are big. And if I can get it even close to what I have in mind, it's would be more than a worthy finale to the series. Maybe even too good for the quality of the series.
What do I mean by that? I have been playing my own cases again. And while I am still quite happy how they turned out for what I was capable of when I made them... I feel that they could be better.

The best example would be Turnabout Deception. Looking at it now, it was painfully obvious that I was still learning the trialmaker at that point, and the lack of unique sprites made me write the characters very close to what the sprites used for them were.
So, while I was giving my hand at trying to create a custom sprite for a certain villain prosecutor I did a lot of thinking how much potential in character development I wasted due to sticking close to the stock sprites.
The most glaring example are Silver himself and Blake in Deception. They are far too close to Wright and Edgeworth, since those were the sprites I originally used (and still use for Blake), for me to still be satisfied with how I portrayed them.

I feel that Convention started to fix this a bit, but I still really don't like looking at the beginnings. And I want to be able to look at the series as a whole and be satisfied with how it is, from start to finish.

And for this very reason, I am currently contemplating doing a huge update on the first three cases (with Deception probably going through the biggest changes)

My plans are:
  • Custom sprites for all original characters
    Custom backgrounds
    Re-writing of characters who have too bland personalities or are too much of an expy of the sprite they originally used
    polishing the investigations and cross-examinations where possible, and maybe add more to them

Of course, this is a huge project, but I ultimately want to see it done. But just as before, I will not be able to do this alone. Most definitely, the most help will be needed with the custom sprites and backgrounds.
I want to bring this series up to its full potential. I want to see the story I put so much thought into worked realized in a suitable manner.

It's ambitious, yes. And I know that. That's why I hope that maybe there are those who are willing to help me realize it. If you enjoyed the series so far and feel there's something you can contribute - let me know. For now, the most important thing would be custom sprites for original characters, as well as backgrounds for places of the existing cases.

Maybe this series can become something really great. Or maybe I'm just a foolish fool who foolishly tries to follow foolish ambitions! :fran:
Who knows? Let's see how this will turn out.

Alright, recently I found myself with a lot of motivation to be active on AAO more and also work on my cases. That's how I figured I'd compile my current and coming cases into a single series thread.
There's been some confusion, but yes, my previous two cases are indeed supposed to be part of a series so from now on any updates will appear in this thread.

Also, this way I can torture you by keeping you updated on how long you have to wait for the next parts motivate myself some more to keep the series going. :side:

I know, just "Matt Silver: Ace Attorney" is a fairly uncreative series name. But I can still change that once I come up with something better.
I hope I'll be able to keep this going on a regular basis. :D

But now, to the cases of the series!

Part 1 - Turnabout Deception
Spoiler : Intro :
After his best friend and former defense attorney James Tyron gets murdered, rookie defense attorney Matt Silver decides to stand in for the timid young woman accused of the crime as his first case.
Join Matt as he tries to reveal the reasons as why his defendant seems to try to take blame for the crime at all costs while he himself has to deal with the impact that the loss of his closest friend has on him.
Part 1 - Trial
Part 2 - Investigation
Part 3 - Trial
Spoiler : Walkthrough :
Part 1
-Press the 4th statement to update the knife in the court record. Press 3rd statement and ask where she was. Present the updated knife at the newly added statement
-Present the apartment plan
-Press the 3rd statement and have it added to the testimony. Present the knife again at the newly added statement
-Present the autopsy report at the 5th statement
-Answer that she is left handed
-Answer that there was somebody else
-Present the cellphone
-Answer with the waiter
-Press the third statement, then the fifth and chose to press harder

Part 2
-Go to James' apartment. Examine the shards on the floor
-Go to the detention center. Present the broken contact lens to Ms. Hammond
-Go to the hobby room that is now accessible from James' apartment. Examine the area below the TV to receive a hint to the PC's password (mind case-sensitivity)
-Examine the PC and enter the password to receive James' schedule
-Go to Valon's office. Use talk options and present James' schedule to receive Valon's profile
-Go to the restaurant. Present Valon's profile to the waiter
-Return to the hobby room

Part 3
-Present the torn wristband at the 4th statement
-Present the crime scene photo at the 4th statement
-Present the autopsy report at the 3rd statement
-Present Valon's profile
-Press the third statement and press harder. Present the waiter's affidavit on the newly added statement
-Press the third statement and ask about the reasons. Present the cellphone on the newly added statement
-Pick any answer, results are the same
-Present Dorothy Hammond's profile (Presenting James' letter at this point will cause a nonstandard game over), bluff that you forgot her name.
-Present James' letter
-Present the broken bottle at the 5th statement
-Press the 10th statement
-Present the broken contact lens
-Present the mysterious envelope
I'll keep the after trial evidence a secret. After all, it's not very hard and not necessary to answer correctly. Surely, you'll figure this one out by yourself! :atmey:

Part 2 - Turnabout at the Convention
One month after the events of Turnabout Deception, things finally have returned to normal for Matt.
Visiting the International Videogame Convention, he prepares for an exciting weekend away from his job. However, things change quickly as he is thrown headfirst into his second case!
Part 1 - Investigation
Part 2 - Trial
Part 3 - Trial
Part 1
-Exhaust talk options with Blake
-Exhaust talk options with Gumshoe
-Go to Blake's office
-Exhaust talk options with Blake
-Present Attorney's Badge to Blake
-Exhaust talk options with Jeremy
-Go to Convention Hall
-Exhaust talk options with Gumshoe
-Go to Staff Room
-Exhaust talk options with Reige
-Go to Backstage Area
-Exhaust talk options with Rhonda
-Go to Security Room
-Examine terminals below the right set of screens
-Go to Choke's Room
-Examine Trash can
-Ask Gumshoe about "Cause of Death"
-Present Champion's Trophy to Gumshoe
-Go to Backstage Area
-Present Extension Cable to Rhonda

Part 2
-Press statement 2, 4, 5 and 6. When pressing 6, ask about the second piece of evidence
-Press statement 3, ask "What did you do?" and have it added
-Present Game CD to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy
-Point at the Backstage Area (6)
-Present Rhonda's profile
-Press statement 5, add new statement
-Present Autopsy Report to the newly added statement
-Press statement 5
-Press statement 2
-Present Wayne Johnson's profile to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy to statement 3

Part 3
-Press statement 5 and answer "It is very suspicious"
-Present Gaming CDs
-Present Game Replay to statement 3
-Present Extension Cable
-Present Neard Reige's profile
-Answer "Accomplice"
-Present Gloves
-Press statement 2, ask for details
-Present Reige's Statement to the newly added statement
-Present Wayne Johnson's profile
-Point at Choke's Room (2)
-Press statement 6, ask about CD and say it was significant
-Present Gaming CDs to the newly added statement
-Present Champion's Trophy

Part 3 - The failed Turnabout
Just what is this mysterious event from one year ago that was mentioned throughout the previous two cases?
Get a glimpse at the past as you relive James Tyron's last case as a defense attorney. What happened that day that caused James to take off his badge for good? And how are these events connected to the present?
Part 1 - Trial
Part 2 - Trial
Part 3 - Trial
Part 1
-Press all statements
-Press statement 2, press further
-Present Revolver to the newly added statement
-Present Power Outage Report to statement 5
-Press the second newly added statement
-Present Photo of the Victim to statement 6
-Present Autopsy Report to the second newly added statement

Part 2
-Present Park Guard Schedule to statement 3
-Press statement 7, Say it was important
-Present Flashlight to the newly added statement
-Press statement 4, select "About the victim falling"
-Present Victim's Jacket to the newly added statement
-Present Bullet to statement 5
-Select "A Gunshot"
-Select "the shooter", then present Tex Johnson's profile

Part 3
-Present spider pin to statement 3
-Select "The third person"
-Present Mysterious Person's profile
-Present Laura Trodectus' profile
-Press statement 3, ask about the weather and have it added
-Present Power Outage Report to the newly added statement
-Present Power Outage Report to statement 5
-Press the second newly added statement
-Ask "About the "not worrying" part"
-Present Cellphone to newly added statement
-Present Note to statement 5

Part 4 - The Entangled Turnabout

Spoiler : preview :
  • The entangled Turnabout will bring the entire story to a conclusion and answer all remaining questions (and those that newly arose with the failed Turnabout, of course).
  • It will be significantly longer than the previous parts, possibly as long as the previous 3 cases combined.
  • You will switch between three playable characters over the course of the multiple investigations and trial segments.
  • Work on the case will most likely not start until AAO V6 is released, as I plan to use some of the features it will bring.
Last edited by Narokh on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:58 am, edited 56 times in total.
Visit my "Matt Silver: Ace Attorney" Trial Series Thread!

I also have a Sprite Thread.

Current Avatar created by Aer
Ryu Ushiromiya
Spoken languages: American English, Español (Puerto Rico)

Re: Trial Series: Matt Silver: Ace Attorney

Post by Ryu Ushiromiya »

I'll check out your case ASAP, looks interesting. :3 Love your avatar btw. Plz check out mine?
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! CLICK HERE PLEASE?
Apologies if I do not reply in a timely manner. Sig by Tap!

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: ★ Trial Series: Matt Silver: Ace Attorney

Post by Meph »

Ooooh! So this is a proper series, now? :D

What's the structure of Episode 3 going to be like? Will there be two investigations, or one? :)
Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Meph wrote:Ooooh! So this is a proper series, now? :D

What's the structure of Episode 3 going to be like? Will there be two investigations, or one? :)
Actually, Episode 3 will be a pure Trial Episode.
It's a flashback case in which you play as James Tyron, similar to Mia's cases in Trials & Tribulations.
In fact, it will revolve around "that one event one year ago" that was oh so ominously mentioned a few times since Deception.
Episode 4 however is a good candidate for multiple investigations.

Meph

Post by Meph »

That would explain the title.
I'm guessing that a verdict isn't declared. :P
Tap

Post by Tap »

I have yet to play your second case, but I should do so soon since Deception was epic. :awesome:

Good luck with your third episode, Narokh! :)
ImageImage
Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Tap wrote:I have yet to play your second case, but I should do so soon since Deception was epic. :awesome:

Good luck with your third episode, Narokh! :)
I'm still baffled on how highly praised Deception seems to be.
I mean while I think I did a fairly good job on it, every time I play through it again I see how obvious it is that I was still learning. I couldn't properly focus on creating interesting testimonies/contradictions and the like because I was still learning on how to handle the trial manager.

Not wanting to say that I don't like it or anything. In fact, I really am satisfied on how it turned out (especially since it's my debut work) and absolutely flattered on all the positive feedback. I just think it could have been better. :wink:

But back to topic - it will probably still take me a while before I can really get started on Part 3. I first want to finish the needed sprites and also flesh out a lot of the important details before I do so.

But in any case, thank you for the positive feedback! :D

Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Mini Update:
All parts have received some slight additional polish by correcting a few typos. In addition, all Testimony and Cross Examination titles (the text in red) has been fixed to not play a sound and be properly placed in the middle column.

The second half of Turnabout at the Convention Part 3 had penalties added for pointing out the wrong location on the picture and presenting the wrong decisive evidence.

Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Here I am once again, bringing you another update. Three new animations!

Image Image Image

I am actually really satisfied with how these turned out. Took me quite some work too and I think it turned out well.
The first one is not set to loop, since it's only the initial slam animation.

Meph

Post by Meph »

You're right! It looks really good. :D But I have one suggestion: change the black outline around his white shirt to grey. :)
Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Meph wrote:You're right! It looks really good. :D But I have one suggestion: change the black outline around his white shirt to grey. :)
I see what you mean, it is a pretty sharp outline in black. But I just tested the sprites with the court background, and it isn't all that eye-catching there compared to the bright background of the forum.
So since I'm far too lazy to change everything over it really doesn't seem that grave, I'll leave it as it is for now.
But thanks for pointing it out! :)

Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Newest update: three more Sprites

Image Image Image

Those were done rather quick and haven't been too much work. Of course, they're barely edited at all. They will work though.

Now, the only thing missing before I consider the James sprites complete is the close up view. That one will probably take a while, since the close up shots are much more delicate to work with.

On a sidenote: I could use the help of somebody to find 2 backgrounds/pictures for my upcoming case. They do not have to be custom, but simply fit a rough specification that I have in mind. If somebody knows good sources and could do a quick search for me, that would be appreciated. Warning, the specifications could contain minor spoilers for my upcoming case.

Tap

Post by Tap »

Narokh wrote:On a sidenote: I could use the help of somebody to find 2 backgrounds/pictures for my upcoming case. They do not have to be custom, but simply fit a rough specification that I have in mind. If somebody knows good sources and could do a quick search for me, that would be appreciated. Warning, the specifications could contain minor spoilers for my upcoming case.
Have you checked out the 900+ BG package I've posted a few times? :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UKODKHKE

There are quite a few backgrounds in there which may help with what you're looking for. ;)
ImageImage
Narokh

Post by Narokh »

Tap wrote:
Narokh wrote:On a sidenote: I could use the help of somebody to find 2 backgrounds/pictures for my upcoming case. They do not have to be custom, but simply fit a rough specification that I have in mind. If somebody knows good sources and could do a quick search for me, that would be appreciated. Warning, the specifications could contain minor spoilers for my upcoming case.
Have you checked out the 900+ BG package I've posted a few times? :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UKODKHKE

There are quite a few backgrounds in there which may help with what you're looking for. ;)
I must have missed that - that sounds very useful, I'll have a look at those right away. Thanks a bunch! :D

Narokh

Post by Narokh »

And the final animations for James are done!

Image Image

I know they're not all that good, but the large sprites were a lot more difficult to work with. I think they'll suffice though.

As far as the next part is concerned, the only sprites left to be done are
Matt Silver as co-council, and some minor background work.
The most important part of the plot for the Failed Turnabout has been set, but I need to think up some more stuff to fill the case, or else it would be fairly short.

Learning from my work on Turnabout Deception, I want to prepare more in advance instead of relying on coming up with many parts just as I go - that only works for defense attorneys! :mrgreen: