[T][CE] Turnabout Proxy ★

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: [T][CE] Turnabout Proxy ●

Post by Enthalpy »

Spoiler : :
Other people have reported this bug. If the background doesn't load, leave the current location and then return to it. That should fix the problem, although I haven't encountered it myself.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Ferdielance
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ferdielance »

This one was a lot of fun, and I thought that the character writing was both good and funny. In particular,
Spoiler : Spoilers :
... this is probably my favorite rendition of the Judge's brother ever.

One thing this case does especially well is play with Edgeworth's way of thinking. Caution and meticulous logic are all at play here, rather than the wild leaps of the usual defense attorneys, and the thoughtfulness shows.

One potentially weak spot is that if the player saves in one or two places, there's a VERY strong chance of ending up in an unwinnable situation. The 'reason for the witness to testify' is a killer in this regard; I had to restart the case.

The re-use of Mimi/Ini's sprite worked really, really well in this case; I would have expected that she has too distinctive a personality to make an OC, but the total reversal of her personality change proved me wrong. But oh, her poor hat!
All in all, this one was a ton of fun!
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Ferdielance wrote:This one was a lot of fun, and I thought that the character writing was both good and funny. In particular,
Spoiler : Spoilers :
... this is probably my favorite rendition of the Judge's brother ever.
I do feel that the judge's brother is a tragically underused character. He has as many eccentricities as the old judge, but is not constantly confused. He does very well for the more logic-oriented games, so he naturally works great with Edgeworth.

One thing this case does especially well is play with Edgeworth's way of thinking. Caution and meticulous logic are all at play here, rather than the wild leaps of the usual defense attorneys, and the thoughtfulness shows.
Thank you!

One potentially weak spot is that if the player saves in one or two places, there's a VERY strong chance of ending up in an unwinnable situation. The 'reason for the witness to testify' is a killer in this regard; I had to restart the case.
I'll take care of that as soon as I can, which will probably be later this month. I'll be busy working on my competition case, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to make all the fixes that people have proposed..

The re-use of Mimi/Ini's sprite worked really, really well in this case; I would have expected that she has too distinctive a personality to make an OC, but the total reversal of her personality change proved me wrong. But oh, her poor hat!
I really like the creative use of custom sprites, as it often forces the author to consider changes to the character that weren't planned. For me, I needed a young female who didn't have brown or black hair. I didn't have many options. Dahlia would be too distinctive as an OC, I can't stand April May, there was a featured case a while ago that featured Regina trying to frame Trucy by manipulating her magic props, so that wouldn't work... Of those who were left, only Ini had the anger sprites I needed. Looking at her spritesheet and wondering how I could make it work, I came up with the idea for her drastic personality change. You can judge how that concept worked for yourself.
All in all, this one was a ton of fun!
Thank you! I've included some comments in the spoiler tag.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

I should have reviewed this before... but I do'nt know why I dind't...

anyway lets a go~
Spoiler : Typo filled adventure of stream of consciousness :
Well who can you blame? If I was rich and successful I'd never give care about anyone but myself too :p

Aww... I was hoping that we had Apollo with he fake badge... edgy isn't as sarcastic :/

If(Defendant.equalsIgnoreCase("Your Daughter")){
System.out.prinltn("I dunno...)}

Just bank robbery pffft we can blame that on Ron easily.

Whip lady explains her perfectly... too common sadly we need a new name for her!

And now Phoenix is a secret agent man. Perfect. This should be easy to pin the crime on Ron.

You were arrested cause the plot says so, now get in the courtroom while we make legit reason.

hehe... aboot...

Your 60 and old, no one cares about you. In fact your younger bro might be a better candidate for the role we're in right now.

The judge... makes a good point on the homicide detective thing... I want a new detective ASAP

inept and loyal, like the family dog.

THE TWELFTH you SAY? I enjoy that word...

welp next on dumb criminals... person takes off mask as they flee the crime scene.

yes very curious indeed...

it's obviously a water gun :/

well made map btw, same goes for the earlier BG. Did you make that yourself?

It's my favorite witness from the AAI series :D MEEEEEKINZ

hmmm 8 years was also in the begging. I now suspect Mr. Meekins as being the culprit and not Ron. :/

tripping always worked in the cartoons...

Ez contradiciton is Ez

ITS SILVERYBLUE....

Sadly it's not the only contradiction.

Oh look another contradiction.

dmnit Meekins you're making our generaiton look like nubs and idiots...

well... this image is... interesting :/

HA I know that there are two guns! Just like 2 keys >:3

oh god another one... uh... I'd like to say its the person but I don't know dX
Actually you can't tell he's wearing gloves I just had to guess 3 times >:<

Y must I do all the work... edgey you do some of it DX

Dee Jourdour... trying to find the pun in this...

yay custom music that me likes :D But Dora what are you doing here in the past jk jk jk

Keyboarders are cool...

Well I'm tired I'll finish this up tommorow. Night night
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
danchat
Spoken languages: English and awful Spanish

Post by danchat »

I'm playing through this trial right now....and I'm stuck...and the link for the walkthrough isn't for Turnabout Proxy.
I'll put where I'm stuck on it in the spoiler tag below.
Not sure who to accuse of being a "hoser" and why...
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Zeta:

I'd respond to your review, but there isn't that much as-is.

Dan:

I have a few changes for this that I plan to start making on the 28th, and putting up an actual walkthrough is one of them.

Official Hints for "That Part"
Spoiler : A1 :
Edgeworth says that this person has been "leading this court in circles". This implies that whatever problem the Hoser caused could have been seen in the first two cross-examinations. If not, he wouldn't use "in circles". What problems showed up there?
Spoiler : A2 :
The first testimony didn't have any problems, but the second one had one piece of evidence cause quite a few contradictions... Which one was it, and what could explain away the problems?
Spoiler : A3 :
It was the gun. For whatever reason, a second gun was brought along and one was thrown away. Not only that, but Trucy's prints were on the gun. For what reason could this have happened?
Spoiler : A4 :
Look at it another way. Phoenix knew some pertinent information, and what triggered Edgeworth's logic was the fact that TWME meant "Trucy Wright: Magician Extraordinaire". How could the ideas of problems with the gun be connected with this?
Spoiler : A5 :
Trucy is a magician. Why would a magician have her fingerprints on a gun?
Spoiler : A6 :
What if, hypothetically, the gun wasn't a gun to begin with, but a mere prop? Whose incompetence would prevent the court from knowing this.
Spoiler : A7 :
Present Dick Gumshoe and the gun. The fact that Trucy is a magician has reminded Edgeworth of an explanation for all these mysteries surrounding the gun. It's one of Trucy's magic props, which was planted to frame Trucy. Detective Gumshoe should have known this.
danchat

Post by danchat »

Thanks for the hints.
But I ran into an error and I can't continue....
I'm at the part where I need to break Jordur's psyche-lock. On the first question, the bank deposit is presented. However, for the 2nd question, not any pieces of the evidence or profiles work. It seems extremely clear I should present the wig (based off of the hints) but it doesn't do it. Did I miss something or is it an error?
Last edited by danchat on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Have you talked to Gumshoe at Criminal Affairs yet? If not, you might want to investigate locations a bit more thoroughly. A lot of people have been missing one of the two pieces of evidence you can find in Jordur's apartment.
danchat

Post by danchat »

Thanks for the hints again. I finished it today.
My thoughts:
I thought it was a really good trial...all of the logic made sense, and the plot twists were good. I can't say that there were any glaring holes... other than at the end where Jordur is broken, all she says is "Default Text". (which I'm sure you'll get to editing eventually)
I also liked the reference to the Fragrance of Dark Coffee lyrics.... :XD:
Oldbag's appearance at the end was....uh, interesting. It made the trial seem more like a comedy....but..whatever...
AquaAce72

Post by AquaAce72 »

I found all the evidence in Jordur's room (Diary and Wig) and showed them to Gumshoe. However, when I go to Criminal Affairs, he is not there :/

I've exhausted all talk options with everyone but he still doesn't show up, and I know I can't finish the Psyche Locks with him...
EDIT: Nevermind, I went through all the talk options again and it seemed to trigger it.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Dan: About the last thing you mentioned. Trolling competition. And yes, I'll get to editing that. See below.

Bjc: Looking at the code, I found something that might cause a glitch like that. I'll take a closer look at that (among other things) over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Esrom

Post by Esrom »

Hey, I LOVED
the Oldbag scene. True, it was kind of a Big Lipped Alligator Moment,
but it was hysterical!
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Version 1.1 is released!

All indicated changes have been made, including:
* Enlarging the selectable region for the Journal
* Including hints in the post-Inquisition failure conversation
* Adding missing timers when examining the Wright Anything Agency after talking to Gumshoe in Criminal Affairs
* Correcting the mechanism for unlocking Gumshoe in Criminal Affairs
* Adding warnings for Death Saves in the trial
* Changing "pal" to "sir"
* Various failed line breaks and missing pauses
Known errors still remaining:
* Timers need to be added to Never Gonna Give You Up
* Several breaks and pauses are still missing
Errors discarded:
* Although a few glitches have been pointed out regarding the Psychelock sequence, all of them are due to problems with clicking too fast and cannot be fixed.
Version 1.2 should fix all remaining issues. Upon its release, I'll consider submitting this for Featuring/QA.
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Turnabout Proxy is going to be down, starting tomorrow.

The following changes are going to be made:
*Adjusting text speeds to increase playability
* Moving the warnings before death saves to the start of the game, to reverse the difficulty decrease while maintaining fairness.
* Adding timers to Oldbag's song.
* Fixing "ghost attorneys".
* Possible switch of file host from Dropbox.
At this point, I would estimate three days to apply the necessary changes, but estimates on this tend to be inaccurate.

EDIT: Due to technical difficulties with finding a new file host, things have taken slightly longer than expected. I'm changing my estimates to February 8th. In the meantime, there are more than enough competition entries for you to try out.

EDIT x2: All fixes complete! The OP has been updated.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

I'll be posting an SoC for each part, then do a consolidated review at the end.

REVIEW POSTED
Spoiler : Part 1 SoC :
Ahh... So I finally get to play Proxy.. A trial which I actually did break into during Trololol. But then stopped because I felt bad for breaking in. But... You really don't care about that do you?
Multiple choice questions which are traps? QUESTIONS HAVE GENDERS? :o
Deer -> Executive Totally a normal leap
"Righting the wrongs?" TOTALLY NOT A REVENGE PLOT
Huehuehue, Cardboard Badge.
OMG NO PROFILE FOR FEENIX AND I SEE HIS NAME????? :O
Trust -> Gavin ahahahahahahahahahahaahah
Oh I remember the fun we had on the trololol thread trying to guess what you meant by your thing
(T'was Umineko styling of wordplay, tbh)
Bank robbery, right. I remember that.

Gah! Writing von Karma is correct, but it breaks the text box... D:
lol Payne
Daddy was on his secret mission. Cuz, he's actually the Batman. :o
MR. BALIFF STOP INTERUPTING AT THE WORST TIMES GOSH
Ah, it's always good to see people doing court sprites.
Hmm... Soundtrack so far is remniciscant of... Something... Can't put my finger on it though.
"You looked like a promising defense attorney when I presided over one of your cases. " ahaha
Judge Chambers? Isn't the older brother Judge Arthur Chambers? Or am I misremembering TSub?
lol Payne legit is a janitor in this universe? xP
"Bank of the People" -> Japanifornia, the People's Republic
Gumshoe will screw up. WATCH IT HAPPEN
Well, let's start this, shall we?
Also, I'm going to try doing this without a walkthrough to assess for fairness.
Huh, AAI music?
(Y U NO USE GK2 MUSICS... DDDD:)
9:38 AM then using 1400? That's pretty annoyingly inconsistant... >_>
Hmm... No height for the woman? Are we even sure it's a woman? Couldn't it just be some crazy cross dresser or something?
lol "Sincerely, the Robber"
Brown hairs can be found inside eh?
CALLING IT NOW, PAYNE IS TOTALLY THE CULPRIT
Interesting... The defendant's fingerprints are on the gun, but no gloveprints?
I'm guessing, prop gun, anyone?
Meekins is the guard? Oh man.
LACK OF FLASHBACK SPRITEEEEEEESSSSSS DDDDDDD:
MEEKINS BEST MOST SECURITY GUARD EVER
Uh oh. Here seems to be a trap. Let's save scum to make sure I don't get tricked...
Well, let's hear about this woman first...
That was useless. Time to back off then. xD
Hmm... What to press on here? I'd guess the ski mask...
Well that was useless. Let's try woman in black.
That was useless too.
Gun, perhaps?
THERE. A BLACK GUN. THAT WAS USEFUL.
Silver is the new black, don't you know?
Gah! You forgot a hide character before showing the gallery!
Hm... He can't give out any info about the giving of the note? Interesting...
So... He didn't see it?
You... deleted the video? Lovely.
>woman -> looks like a man lol
Of course it's a second gun. no lol magic gun
Yes, wiped prints from a note. Totally.
Contradicts the silver gun, of course.
"This clearly tell us..." This clearly TELLS us.
Missing another hide character in front of the gallery shot...
Pokemon music? Surprising.
STOP IT WITH ALL THE NO HIDE CHARACTERS BEFORE THE GALLLLEEERRRRYYYY DDDDDD:
lol chess metaphors
play checkers insteeeeeaaaaaad
More press traps, I'm guessing? Lovely.
Easiest contradction ever?
Oh, I see. It's to lead to this? Fun.
Missing a background for Edgeworth here, strangely enough.
"(I can't act rashly. Don't even blink unless you're assured of the truth.)" missing a name tag.
Oh, request more or not request more? I'll save scum to check.
Oh. Game over. LOOOOOOVEEEELLLLLLYYYY
Instant press game over trap? Fun.
Trips -> No clothing damage? Totally.
Look for more hats~
The explanation? TOTALLY TELLING THE TRUTH
How do I explain this? She's the robber?
Huh. So on Thursdays she doesn't perform, eh?
Payne objections to himself? :o
Oh, is this a testimony trap?
WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.... PRESS EVERYTHING
WHY
WHY DOES SHE KEEP CONTRADICTING HERSELF
Wait, transforming to be more normal? That's... new.
"I was performing at the Wonder Bar." yeah lol nope
Hoser Inquisition?
Dat Gumshoe not checking dat evidence.
WHYYYYYYYY DDDDDD:
I said this at the beginning. >_>
OH GOSH THE DEFENSE AND THE PROSECUTOR AND THE WITNESS AND THE JUDGE DISAPPEARED (at the 10 minutes later part)
"To hose down the hockey rinks within a month from today's date." Hosing down hockey rinks wouldn't be good... Make them zambonie the rink instead! :D
Wonder Bar schedule, anyone?
Oh Cross Examination ~ Presto!
Missing a waiting frame in front of the last testimony.
She wanted to be found guilty? WHY WOULD YOU WEAR GLOVES THEN GEESH
Ah, nobody has proof.
This is why we have the investigation at the end... Ahh..
lol self help books. xD
lol "Abigail Bracole?"
Who on earth is that? Well, END PART 1.
Spoiler : Part 2 SoC :
You should hide that new element that's there, ya know...
"lefthad" Should be left hand side.
"Most chaotic trials you've ever been in" Well, you were a victim in ToC... I'd say that's more hectic. xD
Fiiiiiine Nick. LEAVE ME. D:
*sips tea*
"Go to a department where he can do less harm!" hahaha
Huh. Dee Judor got her account frozen? HOW ON EARTH DOES SHE EVEN HAVE 200k ANYWAYS
"I have an air conditioner now! I have food besides instant noodles now!" GET OUT GUMSHOE NEEDS HIS INSTANT NOODLES
Missing a wait timer on the line before, "That's what I said, sir..."
Let's go to her apartment, shall we?
CRAVAT SALE
MUST GOGOGOOGOGOG
Huh, a wig of brown hair that looks similar to Trucy which is probably made of Abigail's hair.
People getting arrested for perjury?
You suuuuuure this isn't an AU, Thally?
They're Psycholocks? BUT NOTHING SHOWS UP
Also, how can he see Psychelocks without the Magatama? O_o
AP Security? :p
THe chief RPs? EVERYTHING SOLVED
Her brother is Frank Sawhit?
Oh, the psyche locks jump back immediately to where you left off? That's nifty.
Yup. A big mistake indeed. Nick be like lololol
No sound effect on Unlock Successful.
Oh, so Nick was just trolling to get a confession? Lovely.
Ah, Edgey had the magatama all along. xD
Martin Summers book?
lol poor Edgey
Oh, Oldbag.
Oh, rickrolling? That's so passe.
(Contrary to what you may think... I actually /like/ this song.)
Uhh... I understand that's it's a rick roll... But, it just goes on for a bit too long.
Why is Edgeworth hanging up the phone a camera click?
Steel Samurai theme~
Spoiler : Kwando's Review of Reviewness :
Now then, let's cut to the meat of the review right away, shall we?
Story
Firstly, I want to commend you for doing an intriguing non-murder case. Not many people have done non-murder cases so props for you! Trucy being accused was good. The witness was interesting. However, I will say it felt a bit... Iunno, underwhelming? Which is weird, considering there were 7 testimonies and all, but... Maybe I'm just used to getting brutalized by stuff, and iunno. Anywho, I'm getting waaaaaaaaay off the point now. The story itself was quite solid, but it could use another witness or something to flesh it out a bit better.

Characters
You wrote the characters pretty well. Hobo!Nick is our jerky chessmaster that I expect. Trucy was kinda... irrelevant, unfortunately. Edgeworth, Meekins, and Canadian Udgey were well written. But... Judor just seems a bit too much of a Ini/Mimi expy for my liking... She needs to have a bit more... character to be fully fleshed out, otherwise, she's a bit boring.

Music
Not much to say here, other than the fact that the music selection was good for mostly using non-custom music.

Overall
Overall, this case was pretty good. There are no technical faults with this, aside from a few of the issues I mentioned in my SoC. However, I feel that a few things need to be changed before you put this in for QA.
1) Give Judor a bit more character. She seems a bit boring right now, even though you subverted upon the normal "happy -> angry" psyche.
2) Reduce the length of the rick rolling. Nothing to do with the rick roll, I think it just drags on for a bit too long.
3) I personally feel that this trial would be better with one more witness, but even without one, it's still fine.

Also, there were a few minor typos, but that type of stuff will get noticed in the QA inspection so...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."