[T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●●○○ (Case 2 Remake Out!)

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

Blizdi
Spoken languages: English

Re: [T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●○○○ (Case 1 remade!)

Post by Blizdi »

Oh cool. Gonna check it out, good luck writing case 2
IUndercoverTroll

Post by IUndercoverTroll »

Could you add some more music to the first trial part, after the first contradiction it seems that you stopped adding music.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

IUndercoverTroll wrote:Could you add some more music to the first trial part, after the first contradiction it seems that you stopped adding music.
Actually I used plenty of music after that and it works fine for me, that's probably a problem on your end. What internet browser are you using? I made the trial using Chrome, so maybe try using Chrome as well?
256 Pi

Re: [T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●○○○

Post by 256 Pi »

So, um. In the wake of having played through Spirit of Justice I saw some small things needed fixing in Case 1 to line things up with the canon timeline of the game (don't worry, there's no spoilers) and I did so, also fixed up a bunch of other things, fleshed out some scenes, etc. This should hopefully be the last update I make to this case.

And as for the rest of the series, I will at least say I've been feeling a lot better about it rereading some of the old comments on it. Still not particularly confident that it'll get featured but my motivation to get back to work on it has been coming back. Well, it's never completely disappeared, this series is never going to leave my mind and I've done too much thinking on it to let it go and move on as it were, but things are slowly starting to come together and hopefully I'll actually be able to give you guys something good.

Hoping to finish rewriting Case 2 and get started on actually assembling the trial by the end of this year.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

Well, um. So much for finishing the rewrite on Case 2 by the end of 2016. (also I know it's been ages since I've posted an update, but it really doesn't feel that long to me for whatever reason...)

Yeah, basically not much has changed since my last post. I've made some progress on Case 2 but not a lot, though it's become pretty clear to me at this point that just getting together a working outline for a good case is like 50% of getting it done, if not more (because once that's done then the rest goes more quickly). I have a pretty good idea on what I'm doing but some details are getting hard to put together and I end up thinking of a completely unrelated scene for Case 4. I'm sure at least some of you know the feeling. Not to mention while Case 1 is pretty passable the beginning kinda bugs me (it's basically a giant infodump, and the long blocks of exposition make for kind of a boring start and it all takes a while to really get going. I'm sure there's a better way to do it but not something I can easily accomplish, lol.) But as I've continued to say over and over for the past 4 years I plan on seeing this series through to the end and make it as good as it can possibly be. As of tomorrow I will have been working on this series for 4 years (and actually even longer than that as I'd had rough scripts for all the cases when I started up the thread so it's really like 4 1/2 or maybe even 5 at this point) and I still only have one public case, I'll wait another 8 or 12 if I have to in order to get it all done (though I should hope it doesn't take THAT long). It will get done. Eventually. And I'm gonna keep saying that over and over until it comes true.

I'll just lay everything out there. I've got no lack of ideas for this series and that's what's been driving most of my motivation to keep going on this, though I have been having trouble in a few major departments:
1) logic. I don't know, I think coming up with characters and their interactions comes more naturally to me, pinning down the specific details of the crimes has been tough for me. I'll be brutally honest, the characters and their interactions is like 95% of why I love the Ace Attorney games and I tend to fall back on the walkthrough more often than not because the actual mystery isn't as important to me personally as the story or characters. I know many may disagree with me there, and I have been trying hard to play through this series without looking at the walkthroughs to help me get past that aspect but it's not something that comes as naturally to me. Trying to fit in all the ideas I want to also requires me to think up more of those logical details, some of which I can think of but some take weeks of sitting on in order to come out, all the while trying not to let everything fall into a complicated mess. Definitely the biggest hurdle in writing this series.
2) spriting. I think I've gotten to the point where I can't really say I'm completely incapable of drawing (pretty proud of the Pearl sprites even though I got a fair bit of help on them and they're still not perfect) but yeah this isn't my strong suit either. I can kinda get around it and use my s--- uh, not-well-made sprites in the series but I can definitely see that taking people out of the experience. I rarely play Rise From The Ashes but when I do Lana really bugs me because of my bad sprite that looks like her and I'm more used to seeing, lol. Now to be honest, I've gotten by with my own sprites so it's not as big a priority, I could technically release this series having done most of the sprite work myself, but I don't think I could call the series "complete" then given my skills. Not a BIG blockade but still a blockade nonetheless.
3) well, social anxiety. I log on to this forum all the time but as you can see I rarely ever post anything. I know there's plenty of experienced people here to help me out but there's still that part of me that feels like I kinda got off on the wrong foot with this community when I initially rushed everything together on this series in all my excitement (even though I've since seen I'm far from the only one to have done it). And on top of that I'm kinda one of those guys who wants to do everything on his own time and I'm not the best at asking for help, and the next point certainly hasn't been helping either.
4) spare time. College has also of course been a major blockade as well as have both of my YouTube channels, as per usual. Those take precedence over this because I can obviously accomplish stuff on there a lot more quickly than here.

So all in all while there still are all these things in the way of me working on this series I'm not ready to give up hope on it nor do I feel like I ever will be. But I figured that since it's been a long time (and also half because I'm kinda bugged by having bumped down to the second page of this forum) I figured I should give all you guys a heads up on what's going on. Now if you'll excuse me I got college work and YouTube videos to work on.

Peace :maya:
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

Whoops, looks like I've been demoted to the second page of this forum once again. Time to post an update, I think.

So okay, there is actually something to update on here. I have nearly finished writing the first part of the Case 2 remake, I have basically all the sprites ready to go too. Going from here there are a few options available to me:
1. Put together the trial for just the first part. If I choose this option I think I should be able to have something ready by January or February. Only problem with this option is that I'll probably have to go back and edit it afterwards depending on where I take the other two parts (like I did with the first case, though that shouldn't need any more updating by this point. Even moved all my images to Imgbox for obvious reasons).
2. Wait until I've scripted all three parts to start building the whole thing. This is obviously going to take a while and I won't really have any concrete dates for it as per usual, even if right now I'm really only having writers block on one major point. At least this way when I'm done I'll have everything in order (unless I miss something but I presume that's what betatesting is for). And if I go with this option, I could post a trailer which contains a primarily inconsequential part of the intro, just something to give you guys after all this inactivity and not following through on promises and the like.

Not sure what to do between these two options, maybe you guys can help me decide. As always I still plan on seeing this thing through to the end no matter how long it takes.
256 Pi

Post by 256 Pi »

So, um... guess that whole trailer thing from the last post didn't happen. Oh well.

Anyways, I got some good news: Case 2's script is finally finished! Not just the first part as mentioned in the last post, but all three parts (two trial sections and one investigation section). So that means the hardest part is done and I'll be able to finally work on assembling the trial proper really soon :maya:

At this point all that needs to be done is some sprite work, and that's actually not coming along that badly either in spite of my still doing the bulk of it myself. There are some sprites I'm using from the "Random Characters For People To Use" thread that I was hoping to make some new poses for, but I'm waiting on permission from the original creators. (Not sure how long that might take, one hasn't been active for quite a while but we'll see.)
On top of that, once it's done I should have it open for beta-testing first, which is something I've never actually done before and I'm not sure how that works, but that's something for the future.

I know I've just been continually bumping this thread saying "I haven't forgotten this!" without having anything to show for it for... heck, years now, but hopefully I will finally have something up for you guys real soon. Possibly before the end of the year but that depends on what happens in the next couple of months.
256 Pi

Re: [T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●○○○ (Seeking Betatest

Post by 256 Pi »

Alright then. So I have been working on the remake of Case 2 of this series for several years now (since 2015-16-ish? A really long time) and I have finally reached the point in the case where I think it's more or less ready for release. Yes, for real. All three parts of the case are basically done.
However, I didn't want to just release it right away like I did all the other times I've released cases here, I figured I should have at least one betatester look it over and make sure there's no big screw-ups I might've missed (bugs, plotholes, whatever applicable). I've tested it pretty extensively myself and don't think much needs to be fixed, but I've been wrong on that before, so I figure I should make sure. (Especially since the second part is a full-on investigation sequence where you can complete sections in basically any order and I made sure not to make it too linear.) Suggestions for alternate present options and that kind of thing are also welcome.

So yeah, PM me if you're interested. Would prefer someone who's familiar with the process already (since I've never actually had betatesters on my cases before and I'm not actually familiar with the process myself.) Knowing what happened in the original version of case 2 is NOT required, this remake has been really extensively retooled and doesn't have much in common with where I started anymore.
Also not asking for testers to necessarily scrub through every possible minute detail. Well, you can if you think you'll have time for it but I get the feeling most people here won't. I'm basically hoping to make sure the case works well to someone who hasn't gone through it dozens of times like I have.

Also, sorry if posting here counts as spam, I posted this request for help 2 weeks ago in the case assistance topic but haven't heard back from anyone, so I'm reposting the request here. No spam intended.
256 Pi

Re: [T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●●○○ (Case 2 is Public

Post by 256 Pi »

Alright then, the time has finally come... I've released Case 2 of this series to the public. It's ready to play at long last, all these years of seemingly empty promises actually paying off to something now.

Not gonna act like it's perfect or anything, I'm sure other people are going to notice flaws or bugs or plotholes or whatever else I may have overlooked since I never actually got anyone else to playtest it ahead of time. (I mean, I requested betatesting help and waited a month, but no one stepped up so I just decided to go ahead and release it anyway. I've playtested it plenty though so hopefully any further fixes should be fairly minor at this point.) But it's definitely in playable shape and should work well enough.

Not sure how many people will actually care at this point but hope you enjoy anyways :maya:
256 Pi

Re: [T] Maya Fey: Spiritual Successor ●●○○ (Case 2 Remake Ou

Post by 256 Pi »

Alright, last bump for a while, I promise.

Decided to spruce up the OP to make it look more visually appealing, not to mention I fixed up a couple of sprites, most notably the last witness in Case 1 doesn't look like nearly as much of a walking cut-and-paste nightmare anymore. For comparison:
Spoiler : :
Before: Image
After: Image
Okay, I guess he's still not particularly great-looking, but he doesn't hurt my eyes to look at anymore.

Not necessarily an invitation to replay Case 1, I think I've shoved it down people's throats enough at this point. But hey, if anyone wants to check out the newly completed Case 2 and leave behind some feedback, I'd very much appreciate it! I think it's easily the best thing I've posted to this site, but whatever. Interested to see what other people would think (even if you think it's crap).

Anyways, I'm gonna be getting started putting Case 3 together, I won't bump this anymore until that case is ready. Probably won't take 4 years this time, hopefully.