[M][CE] At Dawn's Break ○

Find and discuss trials made by other members and showcase your own trials.

Moderators: EN - Forum Moderators, EN - Trial Reviewers

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

[M][CE] At Dawn's Break ○

Post by DWaM »

Prologue / Chapter 1 / Chapter 2 / Chapter 3 / ...
Well, then -- allow me and Ping' to welcome you to the thread for our entry in the "Turnabout Convergence" competition hosted by ZetaAzuel and Wooper. This is our little... 'game' - both concerning on what it is in terms of narrative and gameplay... but also on how it will be made. You see, this project isn't completed yet. ...But that's because we decided to make another one out of it entirely. (I'll get to that later, though).
Premise
As usual, I'm not the one for giving silly premises and a general clue of what you're getting into, so I won't be making an exception this time, either. All you need to know is that the world you're about to step into is one of mystery, deception, and survival.
The game does have points were you might be potentially stuck, so please don't be afraid to ask for a walkthrough, if it becomes necessary.

Notes
  • Do note that the music custom content is hosted on kiwi6, so there's a possibility you could be experiencing sound issues that have been popping up recently. If it seems that you aren't getting any music whatsoever, and that refreshing the chapter isn't doing it, then please notify us and we'll switch the host to Dropbox.
  • Chapter 1 contains a rather... erm... "uncomfortable" scene which we've decided to lock with a password. If you're interested in seeing the scene, PM me.
Credits
Spoiler : :
Writing/Story
DWaM and Ping'

Sprites
Greeny - Earnest's and Patrick's Sprites
Ceres - Baker's and Barman's Sprites
Lind - Caesar's, Mickey's and Mayfield's Sprites
Dragon Trainer - Rose's Sprites
gotMLK7 - The mystery police officer sprite (base for edit)
BynineB - Avery Johnson
LadyK - "Ruth"

Beta-Testing
Bad Player
Ferdielance
Wolf Speaker

Special Thanks
Zeta and Wooper - For hosting the competition
Our competitors - For bringing out the best in us.
The "Game"
But here's what we've decided to do, something we both consider interesting - a bit of fun with the trial making community (granted, some people who enjoy writing straight up AA-trials might be disappointed, but we encourage them to participate, too!) and the people interested in just writing something they would consider intriguing and see how an idea can be done by different individuals.
As you can see, we have successfully completed three of the game's chapters. We estimate that three more are needed for the story to reach its conclusion. However... Unlike the first half of the story, I won't be the one writing the dialogue for it. Instead, you will! Well, okay, okay, that sounded a bit cheesy and like we're in some sort of weird 90's commercial, but let me clarify.

We're interested in having people (that want to participate, of course) in this apply to write the rest of the chapters -- one chapter per person. The person would be given the chapter's basic outline -- what needs to happen, either from the story or gameplay perspective -- but in such a way that we allow enough creative freedom for the person in question to add things of their own (if you haven't played this, you'll eventually see what how this is possible). Once the chapter's complete, we would release it and work on the next chapter would start, this time handled by a different author. We've decided to do it like this mainly because this way, even people who have other projects can still participate, considering that they aren't required to deal with an entire case, but rather just one small part.

Naturally, everyone's free to join -- however, do note that we do have a right to reject you if we feel like the writing needs improvement, looking at your previous works. If you do not have previous works (or wish to show that you've improved from your previous work), then we'd like to see what you could do with a small "example trial" - doesn't need to be long or even an actual trial with a story, just something that shows off your dialogue.
Now, while we'd actually need about three people, if the interest is high enough, we could easily accept more and integrate their work in a different way.

And, if nobody's interested, then we're kind of screwed... (chew)

We have several goals with this:
  • To encourage aspiring writers to "break the ice" and show off their talent.
  • To see how veteran authors differently handle certain concepts.
  • To encourage activity in the trials section in general.
If you wish to apply, either PM me or Ping', or post it here in the thread.
Last edited by DWaM on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Re: [M][CE] At Dawn's Break ○

Post by enigma »

I haven't played it yet, but I'm putting my hand up as a writer! I'd like to reserve a spot~!
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

And reserved you have! Welcome aboard! Wait, is that an appropriate term for this...? Hm...

Oh, well. Welcome, either way.
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Spoiler : prologue. probably a bug :
So, when interviewing those two people, I first asked Baker stuff, then Patrick, and then it just went back to Baker except I'm stuck forever on his three questions (which he doesn't even really answer again).
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

:o

Woah. DWaM is getting it done. I'll give this a play some time later today.

Does this mean Curtain stuff next?

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Blackrune wrote:
Spoiler : prologue. probably a bug :
So, when interviewing those two people, I first asked Baker stuff, then Patrick, and then it just went back to Baker except I'm stuck forever on his three questions (which he doesn't even really answer again).
I've experienced a person having a bug on this section, but it usually didn't appear like this... Especially since if the editor registered that you finished one section, he should've done the same with the other...

In truth, this entire prologue feels like some sort of weird haunted mansion. We've had people who experienced bugs on certain sections, some people that didn't. Some people got stuck in a loop, some people didn't. Some people could progress, some people couldn't. I actually seem to remember having similar issues when testing the thing out myself and never being able to figure out what was going on. I mean, looking at the editor now, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to progress, especially considering that Patrick's is the more stable and variable-free one. I think it's the fact that I chose to proceed directly to another frame with '1' wait timer on it... Though I've done that trick before and usually worked fine. ...Except for here, apparently.

In any case, here's an avancement so you don't have to start all over again. (Don't worry about your responses - none of them have a major impact).
kwando1313 wrote:Does this mean Curtain stuff next?
EEYUP
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

IT'S A NEW YEAR'S MIRACLE!

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

I'm starting to see where you're coming from.
Spoiler : dis prologue :

For the record:
-I tried twice. No clue if it could still be on my end. If others don't have the same problem it technically should be.
-if I press ok it's an endless loop leading back to this
-This is using the avancement link, so MAYBE that somehow messes it up, though it'd make more sense if it's a problem with the uploaded image, or the link to said image.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

GODDAMMIT IMGBOOT EVEN IN DEATH YOU MOCK ME

...Okay, I went over everything and every link should be replaced now properly.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Spoiler : Sock :
Figured I'd play this because it nothing in the description makes it look too OTT or grimdark or tryhard or pretentious or anything.

NEVER MIND

lyrics why

WALKING

wow dramatic typography this isn't heavy-handed at all

Nice graphics though.

ooh ceres

"Me"? What a weird character name.

OH HEY YOU'RE USING MY SPRITES

Touch the sprites.

Lick the spriiiiiiiiiiiites.

Lick the sprites. Lick the sprites. Lick the sprites. Lick the sprites. Sprites. Spr-spr-spri-spr-sprites.

Baker? Baker's Dozen? Tom Baker? Colin Baker? 221B Baker Street?

Oh dear, I used these backgrounds for Twofold.

So is the main character going to actually get involved ever or...?

Wait, is Caesar the protagonist? Having him actually be onscreen threw me off.

I hate sand. It's dry, it's coarse, and it gets everywhere.

SCIENCE

Settle down, Hannibal.

"Phantom of the Opera"? Oh boy i can't possibly guess which sprite you used for the last guy

oh hey interactivity

fiiiiiiiiilm noiiiiiiiiiiiir

whoa was that a timer

ALSO BAKER STREET HAH

So control flips about randomly, whenever we actually have it? Interesting.

OH BOY A COMPLETELY BLIND SHOT IN THE DARK THAT I HAVE LITTLE TO NO HOPE OF GUESSING CORRECTLY

Whelp, Patrick is wacky.

The writing in this is generally pretty good.

THE CLOWNS ARE NOTHING BUT ULTIMATE EVIL! THEY WANT TO BE THE DOMINANT SPECIES ON THE PLANET, AND THEY'LL DETROY US ALL TO MAKE IT HAPPEN! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL! I'll take the chicken. DESTROY US ALL! DESTROY US ALL!

oh boy a pseudo-deep tangent

Oh, it's Ludwig von Schmerzenberg. Totally didn't call that.

Oh hey, the scar is likely to be plot-relevant. Cool.

IMAGE COULD NOT BE LOADED

saving here and resuming later maybe once the images are fixed.
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

Hi everyone! We hope to finish 2013 in beauty with this little present for all of you. I'm not going to go into any specifics about the game yet, so all I can say for now is... enjoy :wink:

Btw it's Turnabout Convergence, with an e
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

OH GOD I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING

So, uh... Lind...
We're kind of using your sprites.

(Also, again - the images should've been fixed a while ago. If reloading it doesn't work, then you're free to use the avancement I gave to Rune)
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

uuuuuuuuuuuuuh

So what am I supposed to do now that I've done everything with the whole "take control" section?
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Did you examine stuff as Baker and then think?
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Yeah, then I tried showing the keys to Patrick again... Nothing's happening.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.