The Ice Bucket Challenge

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Miss Terius
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese

The Ice Bucket Challenge

Post by Miss Terius »

Where I'm from (California) a lot of 'Ice Bucket Challenge' activity has been going on, ironic too since we're having a drout!

*Challenge Description in a nutshell:
When someone tags/nominates you to do this challenge, you have 24 hours to film yourself getting poured on by a full cold bucket of water! (ice + water mix vary)
If you do not finish this challenge, you must (well not really forced, it's really optional but the rules say) donate $100 to the ALS Association.
After completing the challenge you tag/nominate 2+ friends and the cycle continues! (I guess it was easy for this to go viral since it's around summer time)

There is a choice for you to voluntarily start doing the challenge without being nominated, but I've rarely seen it happen.

Have you heard of this challenge? Have you taken part in it? What do you personally think of it?

[Personally I think it's really silly, but if people were to donate just a little considering they did the challenge then it'd help out any association! (Like pay $10 to play)
I haven't been nominated myself *knock on wood* but I'm interested in seeing if anyone here has already been dumped by a bucket of cold water~ xD]
Reyson
Spoken languages: English

Re: The Ice Bucket Challenge

Post by Reyson »

I did it. It was cold. Because we felt bad for not having to donate anything if we actually did the challenge, my friends and I agreed to all donate $10 on top of dumping the water on ourselves. I think that it's kind of funny.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane
Miss Terius
Spoken languages: English, learning Japanese

Post by Miss Terius »

Hehe that is so awesome and noble for you all to donate $10 each! I was going to do that too if I was nominated, I'd feel bad if I just did the challenge and didn't contribute.

Do you have a video of the moment happening? xD
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Miss Terius wrote:Where I'm from (California) a lot of 'Ice Bucket Challenge' activity has been going on, ironic too since we're having a drought!
Yeah, I'm wondering about that... :hobo:

I do have a beef with these viral charity campaigns. The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that whoever does it misses the point of doing the challenge in the first place. I suppose it's the natural life cycle of these is to go through a memetic mutation.

For example, do you know what ALS is? Or the more common name for it? Are you able to educate people on ALS? /rhetoricalquestionsdontanswerpls

That being said, I haven't been called out to do it. I have no problem doing it. I don't think I'll be donating $100, though. Maybe $50 or $25 either way.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

My family just all did the ice bucket challenge (my parents both got picked in the same week but we waited for the weekend so my sister could be here for it, then my dad nominated me and her in his). I was the only one who didn't flinch somehow, mostly because my hair and swim-shirt seemed to take most of the impact. We're gonna write a check and donate as a group, of course.

I do really like this challenge. It's easy to bash it because it's a stupid trend people do without even knowing what ALS is (I admit I have very little knowledge on the matter myself) but it's raised tons of money for a good cause and is a simple idea that is in good sport. Plus it's kind of genius to have a memetic trend as a way to raise money; it basically peer-pressures people into donating money. That's just great. And there's no real harm in it so yeah, I like this. This is a good idea. Yes.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!