How Long Do You Like Video Games To Be?

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

How Long Do You Like Video Games To Be?

Under 5 Hours
No votes
5-10 Hours
No votes
10-20 Hours
4%
20-30 Hours
17%
Over 40+ Hours
79%

Total votes: 24

AntiRoyalty

Re: How Long Do You Like Video Games To Be?

Post by AntiRoyalty »

20-30 hours for storyline, really. Then hella lot of hours for added features/beating the game 100%.
Brb.
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

~Count Olaf~ wrote:
Zeroes wrote:KHI had non skippable cutscenes. Before bosses. It sucked. v_v
Nope. Hit start button and you can choose to skip it.

~Olaf~
...V_V
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ami »

It depends. I don't mind if a game is short if there's a lot of replay value. But I also like a game with a deep, involved storyline, with lots of sidequests and stuff.

One of the best RPGs ever:
Star Ocean: The Second Story

You have two main characters to choose the perspective of, and you never truly get a grasp on everything without each. Each has consequences, as one character accompanies you while another doesn't depending on who you pick (Claude Kenni gets Leon Geeste, Rena Landford gets Dias Flac). There are many characters to choose from, each can be an asset (Well...some more than others). Ernest isn't available unless Opera is in your party. However, that means not getting Ashton Anchors. Getting Bowman, pharmacist causes you to not gain Precis Neumann, teen genius with a robot.

>_> ...<_<... Noel sucks. Leave him to his animals. There's better healers and damage mages, this weak tweener will never cut it.

So despite beating the game, then beating the last boss on his tougher mode by talking to this one person, and beating the 100 level dungeon with no save points, you want to play again. You want to go back and do the little scene thingies with as many characters as possible with as many outcomes as possible. You want the 64+ endings and the secret ending you can get by putting both friendship meters for all characters towards all characters to max out, and filling up all 8 positions.

Another example?
Ogre Battle 64

So many paths in life. What shall the fate of Magnus Gallant and the country he lives in be? His path may be dark, or it may be luminous. The path that brings all Zenobians doesn't yield Paul La Biske, Lycanthrope. Keeping some characters alive is pivotal, and rationing funds is key. And there's, of course, a very slim chance you actually get a good ending (ungrateful b******s threw me out of my own country I helped save from <Spoilers>!). But you'll try and try again. You'll want to make sure you get your dragons, the Ceberi, and of course, Medusas and Ogres (Creatures of the Netherealm are invaluable minions).

Need another one, Trite?
Pokemon.

Have to catch them all. Is it possible without cheating or gaining help from someone that has cheated or used the help of someone who cheated?? Nominal at best. But damn it all if you don't try anyways. And of course there's the frustration of jumping from the kiddy pool that is athe gyms and the Elite 4 to going to the Battle Tower (or whatever it's called) where they ACTUALLY use strategy. It is then you realize: You're f***ed. Because things like the Battle Tower uses multiplayer rules: no items, no mercy.

And how about these apples?
Overlord, Fable, and others of its kind

You love to be evil. Who are you kidding? But we all go through the first playthrough as good or neutral to try and get the desired ending. But then the next play through is no-holds bar a**hole mode. Ravage the land, pillage the women, and get the really cool weapon with shadows teeming from it.

Want more? HUH?
Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout Series, Mass Effect, KOTOR and others of its kind:

Morality. Weapons. Abilities. Party Members. You gotta love these kinda games. While some are a little more arbitrary than others *cought*whydoIhavetojumpagazilliontimestolevelupsomethingIdon'treallyNEEDtouse?*cough* And even through all the battles, randomly encountered items, and headshots, you live for the different snarky comments you can give to the random idiots.
"I need a book...could you get it for me so you can get 5 XP and 10 money?"
"IT'S FIVE FEET AWAY! Do it yourself!"

However, length isn't everything.

Silent Hill 4

It dragged on forever. Don't get me wrong, I like the SH series, but it's kinda annoying to lead a dumb NPC through all the places you've already been while avoiding new overpowered enemies.

There's more examples of both sides....but it's almost midnight.

The short answer? A long game is good, especially if there's re-playability. But length is in no way something to denote awesome.
since 2008!
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

Geno had enough sense to write a tl;dr version. >___________>

Don't worry, I read it. >_<
Dj_Zao

Post by Dj_Zao »

When I was younger... I liked the games that was 2-3 hours {like the platformer games}... right now... I like the games that have many hours... {like the RPGs games or strategical games}... :wink:
AAO Tree 2: Mommy NatLazy | Daddy Force | Bro Mousy
AAO Tree 3: Mommy NatLazy | Daddy Ryuusai09 | Sis Lights
Pink Princess Tree: Mommy NatLazy | Daddy NintendoSaiyan | Bro vhunter13

Flandre

Post by Flandre »

I personally think that games should be at least thirty hours, or else they aren't worth buying, in my mind.
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

In my opinion, a game is good either if I want to play it again after I finish, or it's so long that it's nigh impossible to finish, yet I still try anyways.
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Jim Raynor
Spoken languages: I know, you know...
Location: From Mar Sara, taking care of the Zerg infestation.

Post by Jim Raynor »

genodragon1 wrote:Want more? HUH?
Elder Scrolls Series, Fallout Series, Mass Effect, KOTOR and others of its kind:

Morality. Weapons. Abilities. Party Members. You gotta love these kinda games. While some are a little more arbitrary than others *cought*whydoIhavetojumpagazilliontimestolevelupsomethingIdon'treallyNEEDtouse?*cough* And even through all the battles, randomly encountered items, and headshots, you live for the different snarky comments you can give to the random idiots.
"I need a book...could you get it for me so you can get 5 XP and 10 money?"
"IT'S FIVE FEET AWAY! Do it yourself!"

However, length isn't everything.
LOL! The NPC are lazy when it comes to that type of things. And, lol, 5 XP and 10 money is really small amount. Did you really say that to the NPC? It'll be funny if you did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg

Golden Sun 4 coming out on the Switch with Golden Sun remakes of the first two games?
Was previously Ryuusai09.
Credit to Gumpei.

Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite video game composer.
My favorite video game companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, former Rare, and former 3DO Company before it shut down.
Spoiler : Favorite characters in video games :
Starcraft: Jim Raynor, Fenix, Tassadar, Zeratul, Artanis, Alexi Stukov
Army Men: Sarge Hawk, Riff
Warcraft: Grommash (Grom) Hellscream, Thrall
Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth (And a GK2 character which I shall not add here.)
SRT/SRW: Sanger Zonvolt, Kyosuke Nanbu, Elzam V. Branstein
Forcemaster

Post by Forcemaster »

*loves this thread's sinister purpose*
He robbed from the rich, and he gave to the poor
Stood up to the man, and gave him what for
Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain
The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne
Flandre

Post by Flandre »

I'm mad at Professor Layton for not being hard enough. I picked it up earlier, and I have so far have 23 puzzles done. It's frustrating, I mean, I want value for a game when I buy it.
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

Stop using hint coins.
And plus, how much is Prof. Layton now? It can't be that much.
Flandre

Post by Flandre »

I bought it used for twenty-four. I just traded in FF-IV and a few others. And I do not use hint coins ._.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

I really like long games, but there's also gotta be motivation to replay the game. :mrgreen: (Does not apply to Phoenix Wright games.)

I'm honestly a big fan of the whole "New Game +" idea, cause I always go to replay the game at some point anyway and it's nice to have extra bonuses and stuff.

Then again, my favorite game is Mother 3, and that's not incredibly long or replayable.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
King Pie

Post by King Pie »

I like pretty much any games with no guns combat,puzzles and wide open spaces so pretty much Legend of Zelda games
Go here alot
DAVE X PIE FOREVER
Puc

Post by Puc »

I like my games longer than .hack//infection.
:x