About the French language...

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Zeroes

About the French language...

Post by Zeroes »

I was randomly thinking, and came across this thought:

How different is the French language in school, than in actuality? I'm pretty sure there is slang in the French language just as there is in the English language, so if I went to France and spoke the French I know, would people look at me weird?

Hypothetically, of course. I can't even put a paragraph together in French. >_<
~Lights~

Re: About the French language...

Post by ~Lights~ »

Hahaha, s0l0. Nice thought.
Technically speacking, France French is evolutionized French, while Quebec French lives in the past; they use more traditional vocabulary. According to some people, Quebec French is slang French. Others oppose. *Consult a French Speaking Person Here*
There's also a type of French mixed with Acadien, if I can recall correctly, but I don't think that's what you mean.
The French we learn, is France French/ traditional French. Differences in them would generally be like, the idioms used in Quebec would seem quite absurd in France. And vice versa. There may also be different language structure and etc.
So no need to worry about going to France and being misunderstood! Thats the reason they take us to France and not Quebec in g11/12.

..And I hope my information was correct. >.< I blame Zhuzhu if it's not./Kidding.
Frachement, ma cherie...
We're Sorry, But The Number You Have Reached Is Not In Service.
-Inactive-
AIM: Lights5229 if you want to find me;
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, I don't know exactly how you learn French, but I believe it's quite the same as with me and English. I mean, I've been learning traditional - rather British than American, by the way - English, and I can be understood quite well in most situations. I don't know all idioms, but they don't prevent me from being understood - it can only hinder me with understanding what other people say :)
The most important problem is the oral part : although I can understand quite well when a British man speaks normally, it's much harder to understand someone who speaks fast with the American accent :P

I guess it's the same for you : if I speak clearly, you should be able to understand, but it'll be harder for you to understand anything if I chat with another French guy as I usually do :)

Also, about Quebec, they indeed use many words from old French, and have an accent that at first makes it very hard for French people to understand them. I've never been to Quebec, and I suppose if I lived there I could get used to that accent, but it's much harder, I believe, for French people to understand Quebec French than for British people to understand American English. :larry:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
SupwithyouSammie

Post by SupwithyouSammie »

Wow really?
Hmm, I always wondered about the French that they didn't teach you in school.
I mean, this is only my first year, so I know basic things.
This topic brings up good points XD
ImageImageImage
D&P&P FC: 2321 2245 6436
~Lights~

Post by ~Lights~ »

You're taking French in Highschool without taking it in elementary? o_0
Ah well. No matter. It's still awesome. ;D
Frachement, ma cherie...
We're Sorry, But The Number You Have Reached Is Not In Service.
-Inactive-
AIM: Lights5229 if you want to find me;
SupwithyouSammie

...yes XD
Most people start in high school.
ImageImageImage
RandomJibberish

Post by RandomJibberish »

I took french in primary and I take german now :larry:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tvmady

Post by Tvmady »

I take spanish in my school, My year is split into half and one half gets to take spanish and the other takes french.
--
Dramatica

Post by Dramatica »

I, similarly, had to take German in primary and had to take French in high school.
SupwithyouSammie

I say we rename this topic to (Alternate Languages you Take)

If not, I will stay on topic saying...
In French, we often learn two translations for one thing, one being traditional, one being more modern.
ImageImageImage
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

I guess what I'm asking is, if I only learned French from school and had a fluent grasp of it, would my speech sound excessively "proper"?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

SupwithyouSammie wrote:In French, we often learn two translations for one thing, one being traditional, one being more modern.
I guess it's kinda the same as in English. Modern English isn't the same as the one you read in Shakespeare, or even Tolkien :P
Zeroes wrote:I guess what I'm asking is, if I only learned French from school and had a fluent grasp of it, would my speech sound excessively "proper"?
If you said anything to me in French as an example, I could tell you if it sounds rather "formal" or "common" or not, but without an example I cannot say :larry:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ami »

I take Spanish. It's rather difficult speaking fluently. Heck, it's hard to LISTEN fluently.

Try this: If you're studying a language, try listening to a movie completely in that language. Write down every word in that language you recognize in the order it's said, and never repeat a word you've heard before.

I watched Buscando a Nemo (Finding Nemo) in Spanish. I got around 200 words (about 40 from the next day when we watched the last 28-ish minutes, and started with a clean slate).

So. Zetta. Hard. And from what I hear in the Spanish language there's PLENTY of slang, not to mention that words mean different things in different places. In fact, about the only country that uses the vosotros form of words is Spain.
since 2008!
Tvmady

Post by Tvmady »

Hola geno XD

I would like to be able to learn irish considering i live in ireland, i also take irish but its really hard :(
--
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

We watched Deep Blue Sea in French.

That was tough. >_<

Good thing it had a really simple plot.