Physics

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Meph
Spoken languages: English

Physics

Post by Meph »

Note that this topic was split from the comments/ideas forum. :cute:
Unas wrote:
Meph wrote:In the United Kingdom, students will learn and can take a GCSE in either French, Spanish or German, but most people (including me) can't be arsed learning them, because it's so boring! So in the UK, most people know only one language!
Because they're lazy, you mean :mrgreen:
No. I mean because it's boring. I don't mean the language itself is boring. I mean it's taught in a boring way. :april:

And yes, physics is very interesting. Are you planning on doing astronomy or the theoretical side as your future job?
Last edited by Meph on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Japanese section

Post by Unas »

In fact, I'm rather more interested in Maths (mainly linear algebra) and computer science, so I could work in that field. :)
About Physics, what I like most is Electromagnetism. And what I hate is thermodynamics. Physics represent a wide pack of knowledge, and some parts are more interesting than other :P

Anyway, our formation is quite general so when you end studies such as mine, you can almost get any job you want :)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:About Physics, what I like most is Electromagnetism. And what I hate is thermodynamics. Physics represent a wide pack of knowledge, and some parts are more interesting than other :P
I don't get electromagnetism. What's it got to do with electromagnets if it's about the spectrum?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

The study of electric or magnetic fields is quite important, for they're put to use in a lot of modern technologies. Since these fields can interact with each other and with matter without a physical contact, they're used to transmit information (think about how a mobile phone communicates) and even - as current experiments with superconductors show - levitate. Quite a lot of uses it could be put to if it were mastered correctly by scientists. :D
Also, light itself is an electromagnetic wave, so the branch of optics that's named "physical optics" uses the theory of electromagnetism to describe the behaviour of light. With instruments that require a great precision, this theory has to be used to control interferences and such, that Geometrical Optics (the simplest theory for optics, using several approximations) doesn't take into account.
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
RandomJibberish

Post by RandomJibberish »

Physics is fun.

Electromagnetism is awesome.

I can't think of another statement like that.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

RandomJibberish wrote:Physics is fun.

Electromagnetism is awesome.
You sound very convincing. One could almost believe you think so :P
ImageImageImage
RandomJibberish

I do! I'm a physics geek if nothing else!

I shouldn't have said that :side:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

I'm taking a GCSE in Physics at my school and I'm expected to get an A*! :cute:
Unas wrote:The study of electric or magnetic fields is quite important, for they're put to use in a lot of modern technologies. Since these fields can interact with each other and with matter without a physical contact, they're used to transmit information (think about how a mobile phone communicates) and even - as current experiments with superconductors show - levitate. Quite a lot of uses it could be put to if it were mastered correctly by scientists. :D
Also, light itself is an electromagnetic wave, so the branch of optics that's named "physical optics" uses the theory of electromagnetism to describe the behaviour of light. With instruments that require a great precision, this theory has to be used to control interferences and such, that Geometrical Optics (the simplest theory for optics, using several approximations) doesn't take into account.
Yes yes, I know. But you didn't answer my question. What have electromagnets got to do with the electromagnetic spectrum? :pearlhappy: Electromagnets are objects that create magnetic fields using electrical energy, whereas the electromagnetic spectrum is many forms of radiation ranging from gamma rays to radio waves, so doesn't that mean they've got nothing in common?
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Re: Physics

Post by Unas »

Sorry, I hadn't understood your question. :mia:

If I understand well, what you call the electromagnetic spectrum is the range of wavelengths (and the corresponding names) that an electromagnetic wave can take. At high frequencies, they're called radio waves; when the wavelength is located between 0.4 and 0.8 µm, it's called "light" (that's the visible range), etc. Here, it's more about the study of the wave, ie the propagation of the field.
An electromagnet is indeed an object that produces a magnetic field in response to an electric current. So here, it's more about the field itself. But if this field is transmitted, you get an electromagnetic wave - which wavelength will be somewhere in the spectrum. (sorry, I don't know the typical values by heart :april: ).

The spectrum in itself has little to no interest, it just gives different names to the same thing - that is, an electromagnetic wave - according to its wavelength.
ImageImageImage
Zeroes

Post by Zeroes »

This topic is almost like the one henke made; I understand nothing. >_>
RandomJibberish

I understand it mostly...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Meph

Post by Meph »

Thankfully, it's not too complex, so I understand it completely. :P
SupwithyouSammie

Post by SupwithyouSammie »

I used to want to be an astronomer.
I don't know what happened, just grew out of it.
ImageImageImage
D&P&P FC: 2321 2245 6436
Meph

Post by Meph »

I wanted to be one too, but I didn't want to move to a different country.
Prinny_Baal

Post by Prinny_Baal »

*Points at his interests line in his profile.*

Yea, I'm definitely interested in science. It's all interesting for a variety of reasons. Just don't let me get going on a long discussion about whatever I'm currently interested in, I usually start tuning out the fact that what I'm talking about ends up being boring to most people, and go on and on about various things.
"I can do this dood!"