Social Politics Thread

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Social Politics Thread

Post by Unas »

Well, we have our International Politics Thread, and I saw in the ToR some comments that made me react, so I think it might be a good idea to open a social politics thread.
Please keep in mind that this topic is meant to create discussion and debate, but is not in any case exempt from the rules of this forum, especially the one about respecting each other. Also, political disagreements should be kept to this thread - I don't want any tension that may appear here to spread to the rest of the forums.

But seeing as the International Politics Thread didn't cause any conflict, I'm willing to try this. I might close this topic at any time if it seems to be going too far, though.

Anyway, now, to the thing I wanted to react to - the issue of the gay marriage that was brought up in the ToR.
Trufseeker wrote:Tories suck everywhere. [...] AND! Worst of all, they're trying to send our progressive(Adapting with the times really) stance back to the stone age. If Harper can stack the Senate enough, years of fighting for legalizing Gay Marriage just went down the drain.
"Adapting with your vision of the times", you mean. You present that as an obvious truth yet, if it was, laws regarding it would have no trouble with passing, since everyone would agree with them.
The fact is, it's not obvious to everyone. And especially, it's not obvious to me at all that the times require such adaptation. On the contrary, I could say that the we "obviously" don't have to adapt laws to such tendencies.
In fact, SuperGanondorf summed up my view on the matter quite accurately regarding the value of marriage as a very fundamental element of our cultures, and I do think there is no sense in changing it.
Hodou Okappa wrote:Gay marriage is a conservative hate target EVERYWHERE? I still don't understand why the hell it somehow is seen as an affront to conservative beliefs, it has nothing to do with law or the economy... -.-
Do you think conservatives are only rigid and greedy guys, so that they only care about the law or economy ? :roll:
It's not because their vision of society is different from yours that they have no social sensibility.
Hell, if I didn't have one, I wouldn't be reacting to these posts anyway :-P

To be honest, I find it amazing how some progressists can not only believe they are in the right - I do believe the same about myself - but also consider obvious that the others guys despise society...
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Re: Social Politics Thread

Post by Bad Player »

I did post this in the ToR... but I also hid it, so I guess I may as well re-say it:
me wrote:My thoughts on the gay marriage issue: If you really don't want gay 'marriage' whatever, but then at least give same-sex civil unions the same benefits as marriage.

(Also in xat ED, Phantom, SG and I had a discussion about this (well not this exactly but something pretty close) and it was nice and civil, so hopefully we'll be able to retain and maintain that maturity~)
Ami
Spoken languages: English

Post by Ami »

The problems surrounding the Gay Marriage controversy, as I see it, are as follows:
- Special rights are afforded to straight, married couples, which even civil unions do not have. This leads to an unfair inequality due to religious differences. Whether intended or not, homosexuals aren't afforded the same rights as heterosexuals because of what they are.
- A church has the right to not perform a same-sex marriage, that I will not argue. However, any government that purports itself to not be a theocracy cannot prevent a same-sex marriage under those views. In America, we have the Establishment Clause (better known as Separation of Church and State), which I will site any time religious issues come up.
- Being gay is not a choice, nor is it a defect of a human being. A homosexual can no more be straight than a black man could be Hispanic.
- "Studies" on all sides of the spectrum are inherently flawed and biased. There has been no truly neutral and unbiased study that proves or disproves the ability of homosexual parents to raise one or more children.

Both sides of this issue, frankly, annoy me. Conservatives tend to play off of ignorance and bigotry while liberals are either too busy demonizing conservatives to get to the real point, or are entirely non-effectual. This is, at its heart, a civil rights issue. Either benefits of being married (which is a religious sacrament) need to be nullified, or the rights of homosexual partners need to be elevated to that of straight couples.

[quote="Unas"]
Do you think conservatives are only rigid and greedy guys, so that they only care about the law or economy ? :roll:
It's not because their vision of society is different from yours that they have no social sensibility.

To be honest, I find it amazing how some progressists can not only believe they are in the right - I do believe the same about myself - but also consider obvious that the others guys despise society...

With how virulent the broadcast political discussion is in The States, it's no wonder that comments like this happen all the time. Both liberals and conservatives hold themselves so high while demonizing the other side. There are reasonable people, but many have become so unilaterally jaded by politicians and pundits on all sides, it's any wonder the political parties haven't declared open warfare (joking, of course, humanity is a little more stable than that).
since 2008!
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Let's see~ Gay marriages, huh~?

Honestly, I don't get why people get so stressed over this. Marriage is only a legal function where a couple shares their property in a certain way (at least here it is) and since I believe in equality I'm for gender neutral marriage. This shouldn't be a matter of religion but a matter of law. Sharing property doesn't have anything to do with religions. Of course, I'm not telling them to just accept it. Every religion can decide wheter they bless gay couples for themselves, nobody can deny that right. If the church (or any other religious organization) doesn't want to it doesn't have to hold the weddings. But legally every couple should have the right to get married.

If we look at it rationally marriage itself doesn't really have anything to do with religion - even atheists can get married so why not gays? In the end it's just about wheter we want to change the tradition.
Last edited by Singidava on Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Wrong. That's not why I said that.

I said that because the conservative party is a political movement. It's not that they only care about law and economy -- it's that they're only SUPPOSED to be fighting for power over law and economy, like any political party. It's the same for the Democrats. We have no right to get involved in social affairs.

I don't know how it's done in Britain, but America is (supposed to be) founded on a STRICT separation of matters of church and state -- i.e. the law should NEVER reflect or reject the beliefs of any religious group.

Therefore, to oppose gay marriage for religious reasons is all your choice. I can't really say anything about it. But when you try to OUTLAW it, you're going directly against the Constitution and everything this country stands for. I take the same exact position on abortion, mind you, and I personally am AGAINST abortion. But I know that just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I have the right to tell other people they shouldn't be allowed to either. (For the record, I'm entirely FOR gay marriage, I'm just pointing out that it goes both ways.)

Again, I don't actually know if England does the same separation, so my comments might not apply there.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

genodragon1 wrote:- Special rights are afforded to straight, married couples, which even civil unions do not have. This leads to an unfair inequality due to religious differences. Whether intended or not, homosexuals aren't afforded the same rights as heterosexuals because of what they are.
Well, from a purely pragmatic point of view, I'd say it's for the benefit of the state. If we're talking about civil marriage only, there is an important question : why did states give advantages to married couples in the first place ?
I believe it's simply because it is the state's interest to favour a union that will help renewing the population and - hopefully - provide a stable situation for the children to be raised.
About the last point, I have little to say - as you said, neutral studies about the ability of gay couples to raise children do not exist, so one can only make one's opinion. However, it's quite commonly accepted, I think, that gay couples can't procreate.
I'm not saying they are inferior or anything, just that a state probably is better off by encouraging heterosexual unions - at least while it's not overpopulated.
I guess it's not that much a concern in the US, since they claim to be a country of immigration anyway, but for countries like France where the feeling of national identity is strong, people are more pleased with the idea of renewing the country's population through procreation than through immigration, so this might play a role - and probably has done so historically.
genodragon1 wrote:- Being gay is not a choice, nor is it a defect of a human being.
You mean it's a "natural characteristic" of a person. Well, in the same order of ideas, my bad eyesight is not a choice, nor does it make me inferior. Yet, it deprived me of some future perspectives, like the one of being a fighter pilot that I had when I was young. And between a fighter pilot and a computer scientist, there is quite a huge difference, so I could say it affected my social life a lot.
In the same way, gayness may not be a choice, yet it deprives one from the perspective of natural procreation. It doesn't seem absurd to me that it has some consequences on these people's social life.
Don't get me wrong : I don't mean it's fine to ostracise or reject them, because this would prevent them from being happy. However, not being married does not prevent them from living a happy life together if they want to. If civil marriage is not much more than a bunch of small fiscal advantages, as some tend to say, it doesn't really matter to the happiness of their love, does it ?

Also, about the first part of your sentence, I'm not sure it applies to everyone. True, the feeling of love is not one that you consciously control - but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the people who show their gayness the most openly are really doing that out of love. It's just a personal impression, so it has little value, but it seems to me that being gay has become somewhat "trendy" : some groups of gay people do things only to get the media's attention, so much that I wonder if their gayness doesn't result, consciously or not, from their will to be seen.
Anyway, this was a digression, but I agree with you for the sake of those whose feelings are natural and real - these ones perfectly have a right to live their life.
genodragon1 wrote:There are reasonable people, but many have become so unilaterally jaded by politicians and pundits on all sides [...]
I guess that's the fate of reasonable people, judging from the state of politics in our western democracies... :? (and there I fall back on my participation to the International Politics Thread :mrgreen: )
Singidava wrote:If we look at it rationally marriage itself doesn't really have anything to do with religion
This is because of the definition you give of marriage. Marriage in the Catholic church has a deep religious meaning and value...
Also, although it dates too far back to have a precise account, the "formal" concept of marriage seems to have developed through religions. The first known tracks of it are in ancient Egypt, ancient Greece and ancient Rome, where a lot of their Gods were in couple, and people saw marriage as a way to be closer to their god and farther from animals. Other old traces of marriages are seen during early days of Judaism, and so on.
In fact, the concept of non-religious marriage is pretty recent : 1836 in England, 1792 in France...
So saying that marriage has nothing to do with religion is an oversimplification of the matter, and in the culture of those countries it still means more than just a property-related contract.
Hodou Okappa wrote:I don't know how it's done in Britain, but America is (supposed to be) founded on a STRICT separation of matters of church and state -- i.e. the law should NEVER reflect or reject the beliefs of any religious group.
France is the same, but the UK still has a religion of state - after all, their head of state is also head of their Church -, so it's probably not legally enforced. Though they do have freedom of cult and so on, so it shouldn't change much.
But having the state not follow a church's point of view is not the same thing as not doing any social politics at all.
Hodou Okappa wrote:But when you try to OUTLAW it, you're going directly against the Constitution and everything this country stands for.
No-one is trying to outlaw it, since it's not legal in most of the US, to my knowledge. People are trying, on the contrary, to add it into the law. And again, if it was so obvious that it was "everything this country stands for", then this country would have accepted it long ago. Like Truf, you take your opinion as an obvious generality...
What seems to me more unrespectful of the Constitution is the pressure some people put trying to force it to pass, when it has been democratically rejected several times...
Not to mention the fact that the US and EU representatives are also trying to make this kind of policies pass as international laws at the UN, not respecting a bunch of not-as-powerful countries who oppose it.
Hodou Okappa wrote:I take the same exact position on abortion, mind you.
Meaning you consider it's against your Constitution to forbid murder ?
Because the case of abortion is far more troublesome than the one of gay marriage. As far as gay marriage is concerned, I could say I don't care, people live their lives as they want, and so on.
In the case of abortion, however, there is a life at stake - and I do believe your Constitution (and ours too, for that matter) guarantees the right of any human being to live happily.
And it's precisely the matter of defining a human being that's troublesome here. The most "objective" definition that can be found at the moment is the genetic one, and abortion consists in killing an organism that already has all the genetic material of a human being, so...
And if you argue that it's possible for everyone to have his own definition of a human being, you reach a very dangerous ground : I might as well decide that you do not fit with my personal definition, and kill you, without going against the law... (That's just an example, I have no intention of doing so :P )
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Ami

Post by Ami »

Unas wrote:
genodragon1 wrote:- Special rights are afforded to straight, married couples, which even civil unions do not have. This leads to an unfair inequality due to religious differences. Whether intended or not, homosexuals aren't afforded the same rights as heterosexuals because of what they are.
Well, from a purely pragmatic point of view, I'd say it's for the benefit of the state. If we're talking about civil marriage only, there is an important question : why did states give advantages to married couples in the first place ?
I believe it's simply because it is the state's interest to favour a union that will help renewing the population and - hopefully - provide a stable situation for the children to be raised.
About the last point, I have little to say - as you said, neutral studies about the ability of gay couples to raise children do not exist, so one can only make one's opinion. However, it's quite commonly accepted, I think, that gay couples can't procreate.
I'm not saying they are inferior or anything, just that a state probably is better off by encouraging heterosexual unions - at least while it's not overpopulated.
I guess it's not that much a concern in the US, since they claim to be a country of immigration anyway, but for countries like France where the feeling of national identity is strong, people are more pleased with the idea of renewing the country's population through procreation than through immigration, so this might play a role - and probably has done so historically.
genodragon1 wrote:- Being gay is not a choice, nor is it a defect of a human being.
You mean it's a "natural characteristic" of a person. Well, in the same order of ideas, my bad eyesight is not a choice, nor does it make me inferior. Yet, it deprived me of some future perspectives, like the one of being a fighter pilot that I had when I was young. And between a fighter pilot and a computer scientist, there is quite a huge difference, so I could say it affected my social life a lot.
In the same way, gayness may not be a choice, yet it deprives one from the perspective of natural procreation. It doesn't seem absurd to me that it has some consequences on these people's social life.
Don't get me wrong : I don't mean it's fine to ostracise or reject them, because this would prevent them from being happy. However, not being married does not prevent them from living a happy life together if they want to. If civil marriage is not much more than a bunch of small fiscal advantages, as some tend to say, it doesn't really matter to the happiness of their love, does it ?

Also, about the first part of your sentence, I'm not sure it applies to everyone. True, the feeling of love is not one that you consciously control - but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the people who show their gayness the most openly are really doing that out of love. It's just a personal impression, so it has little value, but it seems to me that being gay has become somewhat "trendy" : some groups of gay people do things only to get the media's attention, so much that I wonder if their gayness doesn't result, consciously or not, from their will to be seen.
Anyway, this was a digression, but I agree with you for the sake of those whose feelings are natural and real - these ones perfectly have a right to live their life.
genodragon1 wrote:There are reasonable people, but many have become so unilaterally jaded by politicians and pundits on all sides [...]
I guess that's the fate of reasonable people, judging from the state of politics in our western democracies... :? (and there I fall back on my participation to the International Politics Thread :mrgreen: )
I'll respond to your response in bullet form, because I'm too sick to keep paragraphing all the time.

- If procreation, and merely that, is a goal, then it'd actually make more sense to forbid marriage entirely, as monogamous relationships restrict one to only one partner. If two people who wanted to hook up didn't do so out of respect to marriage, that is actually less procreation. But, you also forget that with artificial insemination and adoption, kids can be born or know the feeling it is to have a stable home that otherwise wouldn't happen as long as there are restricted rights for homosexuals. Furthermore, if you must be able to procreate to have certain rights, what does that say to people born or are somehow made sterile? When the woman of a straight couple has a hysterectomy, does that invalidate the marriage? Keep in mind, I'm not trying to speak for you, nor denounce your stance, I merely want to get a handle on your stance. If I somehow misunderstood, please feel free to correct me.

- Since when did the population get so low that we need to encourage procreation to survive? Silly Unas, there are (if I remember correctly) approximately six billion people in the world. Since only a certain percentile of the population is homosexual,

- What I speak of in terms of less rights consists of (but not limited to) many things. The first is (I think this was repealed recently, but it may apply to other countries) to where homosexuals are not allowed to be open about their lifestyle, lest it get them fired or kicked out of the military. The second is actually a legal loophole that politicians refuse to close: when a homosexual is in a critical state in the hospital, the partner is not allowed to make decisions in his/her lover's stead (if the one in critical state cannot speak for themselves), and are not even allowed to SEE their partner, while many others are allowed in (imagine being in a delicate position where someone who didn't like you was able to call the shots instead of your lover who cares about you). Third, there's the multiple bureaucratic benefits allotted to straight couples, such as tax reliefs, et cetera. Fourth, inheritance rights also become a problem for homosexual partners who have stood faithful to their partner for a lifetime, and aren't able to collect the benefits that would be allotted to any straight couple. These are but a few of many rights a straight couple has that a homosexual couple do not have.

- Actually, everything is a concern in the US, according to politicians. XD But yes, we aren't so nationalistic to the point that we want everyone to be a pure-blooded American (and even then, one would have to define what an American looked like, anyway~).

- While having poor eyesight bars you from being a fighter pilot (which, let me tell you, is somewhat laughable considering how peaceful and passive you seem to be), it doesn't cause people to look down on you. It's like comparing slightly imperfect hearing with the plight of black people. Having imperfect hearing may prohibit someone from some tasks, but that same person can still walk down the street without people wondering if s/he's a criminal. Unless you consider homosexuality a genetic defect or a disease, you cannot, in turn, compare it to any ailment.

- ... I'm sorry, what? It may be socially acceptable to, say, be a homosexual male in fashion design, but there are very few circles where being a homosexual is truly tolerated, much less trendy.

- I know you agree that the homosexual has a right to a happy life, but there are still many things that prohibit the homosexual from being so, whether it's intolerance from communities, a learned discomfort of those around you, the implied "you stay silent, I don't fire you", et cetera and so forth. Social stratification is highly prevalent in all socioeconomic areas, from the poorest to the richest, from the most conservative, to the most liberal.
since 2008!
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

Unas wrote:
But letting homosexuals marry or not doesn't change the fact that they can't have kids.
But having bad eyesight will have an effect on your ability to be a good fighter pilot. What should your sexuality have to do with "a bunch of small fiscal advantages"?
Only saying this cuz geno responded, but... yeah, I've kind of felt that in some places it's become "fashionable" to be gay, and there's this nagging question of whether it's genuine or for the attention. (And yes, geno, I know homosexuals are discriminated against in a bunch of different situations, but I'm not talking about most situations; this is mostly with some groups of young liberal pplz)
What seems to me more unrespectful of the Constitution is the pressure some people put trying to force it to pass, when it has been democratically rejected several times...
Not to mention the fact that the US and EU representatives are also trying to make this kind of policies pass as international laws at the UN, not respecting a bunch of not-as-powerful countries who oppose it.
Oh, Rosseau... xD
SuperGanondorf
Spoken languages: American English, learning German

Post by SuperGanondorf »

Hodou Okappa wrote:I don't know how it's done in Britain, but America is (supposed to be) founded on a STRICT separation of matters of church and state -- i.e. the law should NEVER reflect or reject the beliefs of any religious group.
Hodou Okappa wrote:But when you try to OUTLAW it, you're going directly against the Constitution and everything this country stands for.
Show me where exactly the Constitution says a word about religion. The only place you'll find it is in the First Amendment, which clearly prohibits "laws respecting the establishment of religion or abridging of the free exercise thereof". Congress can't force people to be a religion or not be a religion. That's as far as the Constitution and any of our founders took the idea of so-called "separation of church and state." Frankly, America was founded more on the precepts of religion than secularism. When religion is taken out of the equation, what's left? Look at the Declaration of Independence: "that men were endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these rights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". Basically, by making the claim that religion has no place in government at all, you're basically saying that the government can do whatever it pleases to you, since if there is no Creator then that means there are no rights. Now, I'm not saying that you have to be religious to love this country, but the fact remains that America is strongly rooted in the idea that God exists and that rights come from Him. It's not as though we impose Biblical law or Sharia law or anything like that, like "Oh, no, the Bible says you shouldn't drink, so sorry people" (which we tried, I believe completely illegally, and which failed miserably). However, institutions like marriage date back thousands of years. The family unit consisting of a man, a woman, and perhaps children has come to be how we define society. I don't think it would be wise nor right to just change the definition of marriage. I don't think it would have a positive impact on society, frankly.

As for abortion, hell no. Unas summed it up nicely; even if you do think that religion has no place anywhere near government, abortion can still be seen as murder.
Main admin of the official AAO Chatroom
Ace Attorneys: Emerging Legacies Team Member
Creator of AAO's #1 Roleplay, Endless Time! Come join today!

It even has a TVTropes page!

ENDLESS TIME: WINNER OF BEST AAO RP
Also the winner of:
Spoiler : Endless Time's Awards :
Coolest Original Weapon or Power: The Relics
Best Villain: Thereme
Most Well-Written Character, Most Original Character Concept, Best Design: Narome (LunchPolice)
Most Depressing Character, Greatest Backstory: Kenneth Roymond (GuardianDreamer)
Greatest RP Moment Ever, Saddest Moment: Narome's Feeding off Mika
Best NPC: The Doctor (ShadowEdgeworth)
Best Fight Scene: Drey Wilkins vs. Narome (Drey Wilkins, LunchPolice)
Best World
Most Eccentric Character: Ewyn (GuardianDreamer)
Best Duo: Narome and Kea (LunchPolice, Paradoxinparticles)
Biggest Crowning Moment of Awesome: The Sabolin Battle
And Best GM: ME ;P
Unas
Admin / Site programmer

Post by Unas »

genodragon1 wrote:If procreation, and merely that, is a goal, then it'd actually make more sense to forbid marriage entirely, as monogamous relationships restrict one to only one partner. If two people who wanted to hook up didn't do so out of respect to marriage, that is actually less procreation.
You forget part of my sentence here. I mentioned procreation and building a stable home to raise the children. Before divorce was authorised for any reason (in 1975 in France), it was actually a strong contract between the two members of the couple, encouraging them to stay together and walk through difficulties, rather than break up at the first disagreement.
It's perhaps not the only way to raise children happy, but it's the one most strongly anchored in our culture and that's why I believe marriage is here to protect it.
genodragon1 wrote:But, you also forget that with artificial insemination and adoption, kids can be born or know the feeling it is to have a stable home that otherwise wouldn't happen as long as there are restricted rights for homosexuals. Furthermore, if you must be able to procreate to have certain rights, what does that say to people born or are somehow made sterile? When the woman of a straight couple has a hysterectomy, does that invalidate the marriage?
You do realise that your two sentences compensate each other ? ^^
Children can very well be adopted by a sterile couple, I don't see how the operation is not possible "as long as there are restricted rights for homosexuals".
As for artificial insemination, I'm not entirely against it as long as the "real" (genetic) parents are also the ones to bear and raise the child - otherwise it seems morally wrong, but that's a matter of personal opinion so I won't really argue on that.
Also, just as information : one of the 4 conditions of marriage in the catholic religion (which is mine) is the will to have children. But if it turns out not to be possible, the marriage isn't considered null. Love can be lived without children, though it's probably harder.
And I think the same about homosexuals : they can live their love even if they don't have children, and so on. Here, I was only talking about the pragmatic part of civil marriage.
genodragon1 wrote:Since when did the population get so low that we need to encourage procreation to survive?
That's why I added the note about overpopulation : it is indeed changing, since compared to a few centuries ago, the mortality rate has drastically decreased, and the population increased incredibly fast. I admit that this point about numbers is becoming less and less relevant with time, but I still think it played its role historically.
However, the point about education and growing up is as relevant as ever nowadays.
genodragon1 wrote:- What I speak of in terms of less rights consists of (but not limited to) many things. The first is (I think this was repealed recently, but it may apply to other countries) to where homosexuals are not allowed to be open about their lifestyle, lest it get them fired or kicked out of the military. The second is actually a legal loophole that politicians refuse to close: when a homosexual is in a critical state in the hospital, the partner is not allowed to make decisions in his/her lover's stead (if the one in critical state cannot speak for themselves), and are not even allowed to SEE their partner, while many others are allowed in (imagine being in a delicate position where someone who didn't like you was able to call the shots instead of your lover who cares about you).
On these points, it's "gratuitous" ostracisation of homosexuals, and I agree with you when you say it should change. As I said, I do understand that love can appear anywhere, and the second point you mention hurts it for no reason.

On the financial points, I still think they are not necessary for their happiness - but the decision to remove the privileges or marriage (or expand them to everyone) depends on states, and whether they think it's an evolution of their society they want to encourage or not.
genodragon1 wrote: we aren't so nationalistic to the point that we want everyone to be a pure-blooded American (and even then, one would have to define what an American looked like, anyway~).
Oh, don't worry, the French don't have an obsession with "pure blood" either - well, most of them anyway. However, there is a general French culture that is much stronger that the one in the US, since the US is based on multiculturalism from the beginning.
genodragon1 wrote:- While having poor eyesight bars you from being a fighter pilot (which, let me tell you, is somewhat laughable considering how peaceful and passive you seem to be), it doesn't cause people to look down on you. It's like comparing slightly imperfect hearing with the plight of black people. Having imperfect hearing may prohibit someone from some tasks, but that same person can still walk down the street without people wondering if s/he's a criminal.
Again, I agree on the fact that looking down on them is bad. Looking down on anyone is bad, for that matter. And this is a behavioural issue - people's behaviours have to be more open to respecting others.
However, my point was about the gay marriage itself - refusing marriage to gay people does not necessarily mean looking down on them, just like refusing me as a pilot does not mean looking down on me.
genodragon1 wrote:Unless you consider homosexuality a genetic defect or a disease, you cannot, in turn, compare it to any ailment.
Well, to me it doesn't really matter whether to call it a disease or not : I have the same respect for the rights of diseased people as for the ones of others, so... If it hurts their sensibility, then let's just not call it so, but it does not really change the meaning of my argument.
genodragon1 wrote:(which, let me tell you, is somewhat laughable considering how peaceful and passive you seem to be)
"seem to" is the right keyword here ^^
When I talk about internal or international politics, my discourse tends to shock many of my friends as I am able to consider violence in order to reach certain objectives...
Back on the subject though, I've always been fascinated by fighters - and at the time I was too young to consider that it might involve killing people.
Not that I consider myself completely incapable of killing, but well, I wouldn't be comfortable with it, I think.
genodragon1 wrote:- ... I'm sorry, what? It may be socially acceptable to, say, be a homosexual male in fashion design, but there are very few circles where being a homosexual is truly tolerated, much less trendy.
Oh, I didn't mean it as everyday life being easy for them - and especially not all of them.
I was thinking of the way some militant groups go into gay parades and yell about the fact that they are gay, and so on. These ones just want (and often get) the media's attention - it does not really look like their gayness is natural and motivated by love. It sounds quite contrary to those that you describe, those that only ask for a normal life and consideration, which I agree they should have.
genodragon1 wrote:- I know you agree that the homosexual has a right to a happy life, but there are still many things that prohibit the homosexual from being so, whether it's intolerance from communities, a learned discomfort of those around you, the implied "you stay silent, I don't fire you", et cetera and so forth.
Unfortunately, and I certainly do not approve of this situation.
You see, I consider myself a man of Reason and Religion - and my religion promotes love about everything else. So whenever there is no logical justification to discrimination, I don't wish for people to be hurt unnecessarily.
Talking about making the gay marriage official, my reason tells me it's a bad thing; however, regarding intolerance, I have no reasonable justification, so I'm against it and wish for people to be more open minded.

Sorry Bad, I won't answer you right now, it's 1:30am for me, I should go to sleep xD
ImageImageImage
Hodou Okappa

Post by Hodou Okappa »

Unas wrote:
No-one is trying to outlaw it, since it's not legal in most of the US, to my knowledge. People are trying, on the contrary, to add it into the law. And again, if it was so obvious that it was "everything this country stands for", then this country would have accepted it long ago. Like Truf, you take your opinion as an obvious generality...
My argument, then, is that it should not have been outlawed in the first place. The law has absolutely no business taking part in this. If an individual church wants to reject gay marriage, that's their prerogative -- I disagree with them, of course, but I can't stop them.

As for your other question, well... It's funny, because here the problem shifts from gay marriage and social politics to my own disgust with my country, and my disgust with a major centerpiece of organized religion as a whole: religious writings.

Yes, gay marriage has been democratically rejected many times in several states. I believe the only one that currently allows it is Massachusetts -- the state I live in, by coincidence. The fact is, though, that to say a homosexual marriage is not socially acceptable is bigoted. Plain and simple. You cannot justify this by saying "children cannot grow up properly without a mother and a father." There is ZERO evidence to support that. You cannot justify this by saying homosexuality is a choice -- you simply need talk to anyone who is homosexual to realize this is not true. It is as natural to them as loving a woman is to a heterosexual man. There is no non-religious reason to oppose gay marriage -- a man/woman marriage is as much as "pillar of our society" as television; which is to say, a false one, which people fill with unjustified praise and acceptance.

Likewise, on the religious side, you cannot justify this by saying "The Bible says it's wrong." The Bible is NOT God's word. I believe in God, and I will never believe the Bible is God's word. It was written thousands of years ago by men. Even the Church acknowledges that it was written by men. Their names are printed right there in the damned book. And to say that some dead man's words, written in a different time, with different rules, are the words of God directly from His mouth, is nothing but bald-faced blasphemy.

Imagine if the Bible had been written in the 1800s, and everyone insisted on following it to the letter. We would still be a segregated society, separating blacks and whites because "God tells us, in His holy book, that they are not equal and should not associate." Owning slaves would still be an acceptable and widely practiced process. Hell, in the actual Bible owning slaves is regarded as an acceptable process. It also details ways in which to make sacrifices to God and notable priests, and what may be done if it turns out that your wife is not a virgin (read: kill or publicly humiliate her.)

But why do we not follow THOSE passages? Why does the Church turn a blind eye to so many of these other "orders from God," but suddenly when we get to gay marriage, we can't dare turn against any of God's words?

It's because God has nothing to do with it, in the end. The Church has always opposed the new, the intimidating, when it's mentioned in the Bible. You may remember a somewhat obscure man who was executed for saying the earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around? And the Church will commit horrible acts of prejudice until the end of time, but society will never move forward that way. We can't progress as a society, as people, by listening only to men who died thousands of years ago and pretended to speak the words of God. A great deal has to be taken on faith here, but if we are all creations of God, then why would he forsake some of us just for being different? Though the Bible is filled with bigoted rules from a different time, many of its passages express the common themes of decency and respect that have been viewed as good throughout human history, and among these is the belief that we are all God's children. It is muddled through the pages with several accounts of "God" (read: the author) being disappointed by other religions and races, but in the end the original message should stand: we are all God's children.

Which brings me back to the key problem here -- the fact is that gay marriage has been democratically rejected by most US states. It's really not hard to see why. 76% of Americans identify as Christian, and the Church is dead-set on opposing homosexuality as a whole. I saw this myself during my time in Maine. I attended USM, which is one of the most heavily-LGBT schools in the area. Because of this, preachers traveled all the way from various churches, both local ones and distant ones including the Westboro Baptist Church, to shout their disapproval across the campus. Yes, this is something that happens to some degree at every college, but here it was different. Hateful. These men had nothing but contempt for us, straight and gay alike. They claimed to be spreading God's love, but whenever you would engage them in conversation or debate it became clear what we were to them: sinners, astray from the path of God, destined to hang in the fires of Hell forever.

Because the majority of voters are Christian, it has been turned into a very political topic, as well. The Republican Party religiously (pardon the pun) plays on this for free and easy votes. So yes, perhaps the US HAS democratically rejected gay marriage. And on that note, I feel democracy has failed. As has society. We have been taken over, indoctrinated by the Church and turned against the minorities. It is a disgusting truth, and I spend every day trying not to face it.

The fact is, I personally feel that if somebody wanted to save the world, all they'd have to do is dissolve organized religion. Follow Descartes. Reject everything you have been told, for it has been told to you with ulterior motives. Only then will you truly find God.

...Unfortunately, even Descartes could not oppose the church safely. He ended up providing what they misinterpreted as one of their greatest proofs, after all.
Unas wrote:
Hodou Okappa wrote:I take the same exact position on abortion, mind you.
Meaning you consider it's against your Constitution to forbid murder ?
Because the case of abortion is far more troublesome than the one of gay marriage. As far as gay marriage is concerned, I could say I don't care, people live their lives as they want, and so on.
In the case of abortion, however, there is a life at stake - and I do believe your Constitution (and ours too, for that matter) guarantees the right of any human being to live happily.
And it's precisely the matter of defining a human being that's troublesome here. The most "objective" definition that can be found at the moment is the genetic one, and abortion consists in killing an organism that already has all the genetic material of a human being, so...
And if you argue that it's possible for everyone to have his own definition of a human being, you reach a very dangerous ground : I might as well decide that you do not fit with my personal definition, and kill you, without going against the law... (That's just an example, I have no intention of doing so :P )
You know, I can't actually argue with you on this. As I've said, I DO oppose abortion. Personally. I just don't feel like I have the right to forcibly tell somebody they can't have one. I feel like it should be the mother's choice -- I may be disappointed if she chooses what I would see to be the "wrong" choice, but I don't see why I have the right to tell her she can't. It's her body, her womb, and her child.

As for whether or not it's murder, that's an even stickier subject. Yes, it ends a potential life, but I'm also of the opinion that life begins with consciousness, which an unborn child does not yet have. Since the baby is not, IMO, alive yet, I do not view it as murder, and yet I still feel it's wrong to take away that life's chance to exist. As you said, it's a difficult topic, because everyone could have their own definitions.
Also known as: okappa, houdou.
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Love is love, and I support gay marriage all the way. Why shouldn't two people who love each other that much not get married? Banning it is wrong I tell you, wrong.
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

I find it highly annoying that before Obama signed the bill repealing Don't ask, don't tell, gay people couldn't join the army. This will be taken to the rant topic in full form.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Ami

Post by Ami »

LilGav wrote:I find it highly annoying that before Obama signed the bill repealing Don't ask, don't tell, gay people couldn't join the army. This will be taken to the rant topic in full form.
Actually, they technically COULD, as long as they don't make any indication towards their sexual orientation. Still a stupid law, but I feel corrections should be made where due.
since 2008!
Holhol

Post by Holhol »

Gay marriages should be allowed.

I don't follow the practice myself, but I have a few good friends who are either bisexual or homosexual. They're just like me, you, and everybody else. So what someone's married with the same... personal parts. I find it's ridiculous to not allow such a thing. People treat it as a mockery...

Though, I can't say I've never used "gay" as an insult, I will say I support them.
~Danielinhoni is the bestest friend anybody could ask for~

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­▬▬▬

TKinhonipei is my soulmate ~<3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Liquid Snake wrote:Snake, did you like my sunglasses?