Windows 8 — Finally unveiled!

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Windows 8 — First UI preview shown

Post by Unas »

scratch_yoshi wrote:Do you people know why Windows 7 is called Windows 7?

IT WAS MADE IN 2007.
Erm... Not really.
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/arch ... why-7.aspx
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
energizerspark
Spoken languages: English

Post by energizerspark »

So they name it after the version.
That could be misleading.
Because if you told someone that the Windows computers were named after the iteration, they might think that Windows 98 was their 98th computer.
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
the avatar is from Urusei Yatsura in case you were wondering
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:
Meph wrote:I don't think we're going to move completely away from the mouse and keyboard. Microsoft have been saying for a while that they'll always have their place, so I don't think they'll ever go away. :)
I certainly hope so, but they show the contrary on this video, by demonstrating the WIndows8 UI on a touch screen... :?
Not really. Windows 7 has had touch support; it's just that the UI wasn't as suitable for it. With Windows 8, They've made a better UI that's appropriate for both mouse+keyboard and touch.
Unas wrote:
Meph wrote:By the way, there's another preview, if anyone's interested. ;)
Too bad they require Silverlight to watch it.
Yeah, I was thinking you probably wouldn't be able to view it. :XD: Sorry about that.
Energizerman wrote:I didn't like Windows 7. I couldn't disable the stupid "tap twice on the touchscreen to click" thing, the resolution seemed too low even at max, and every now and then, my mouse would randomly fling itself to the lower right corner for 10 seconds.
1. Were you using a touchscreen? What was the problem?
2. If the resolution was odd, that was because the resolution of your monitor wasn't supported by your graphics card. :)
3. That would be caused by either a fault in your mouse, the surface that your mouse is on, or a bug in your mouse's driver. ;)
Energizerman wrote:So they name it after the version.
That could be misleading.
Because if you told someone that the Windows computers were named after the iteration, they might think that Windows 98 was their 98th computer.
They've been going mad with the names ever since Windows 95. :P
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Meph wrote:
Energizerman wrote:I didn't like Windows 7. I couldn't disable the stupid "tap twice on the touchscreen to click" thing, the resolution seemed too low even at max, and every now and then, my mouse would randomly fling itself to the lower right corner for 10 seconds.
1. Were you using a touchscreen? What was the problem?
2. If the resolution was odd, that was because the resolution of your monitor wasn't supported by your graphics card. :)
3. That would be caused by either a fault in your mouse, the surface that your mouse is on, or a bug in your mouse's driver. ;)
I was using the in-built touchscreen. And I should probably change "mouse" to "cursor".
this signature has been left as it was when I left the forum for archival purposes
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Well, Windows' versioning scheme is one of the most obscure ever seen ^^
They explain part of it in the post I linked to : for a while, they used normal version numbers, then they took years as version numbers, then they decided to use names ("Me, XP, Vista"), and now they're going back to version numbers.
The funniest part though is that the numbers they use no longer have any meaning : Windows 7 is following Vista which was NT 6.0 - logical so far. But 7 is actually NT6.1... And judging from the fact that Windows 8 seems to be basically launching a W7 desktop and W7 apps, it must be technically quite close to 7 and will probably use the NT6.2 number or something of the sort.
In short, don't try to understand Windows version numbers - just be glad when it works fine :XD:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Meph

Post by Meph »

Unas wrote:and will probably use the NT6.2 number or something of the sort.
It does! :P Apparently, it's for driver support, because they want to avoid the Vista driver fiasco. :P
Dr.Cookie Master
Spoken languages: English, very very basic French, learning Spanish.

Post by Dr.Cookie Master »

Speaking of which, I actually got a Trojan last week :shock:
It only infects VISTA computers, ironicly because of its alias....VISTA INTERNET SECURITY 2011.

It drove me nuts! The Trojan was so bad, it maniplunated my firewall system, and kept on saying a virus was implemented for EVERY program i opened!
INCLUDING TASK MANAGER.WTF
How could anyone say that vista is NOT bad now?!
This virus was also stupid, becuase If i clicked 'buy internet security' on the fake anti virus program, it was supposed to lead me to an IE page telling me to buy the system, but irony took its bite and the 'Vista security' said that IE was infected.

Vista is BAD.

My anti virus is Mcaffe. I had Avast (Which was awesome and was updated regularly) but Sky broadband had to replace it with Mcaffe....WHY DID I GET THE HD PACKAGE :x
“Empty?! You took all the cookies!"
"They were crying to get out of the jar... Cookies get claustrophobia too, you know!”
― Charles M. Schulz
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Avast is just average... AVG or Panda Cloud Antivirus will do great though.

Btw, Cookie, is there a red X on your taskbar? There IS a way to get rid of it, as I've had that problems quite a few times...however, it's a PAIN to get rid of the trojan (safe mode+program that could freck up your hard drive if you didn't follow the directions carefully)

Yo...I need like, some better specs to even bother trying out Windows Vista/7/8 xP
Meph

Post by Meph »

Phantom wrote:Yo...I need like, some better specs to even bother trying out Windows Vista/7/8 xP
Even the really cheap ones have very good specs, now. I got this computer for £280, so, in America, you could probably buy it for as cheap as $280 (when companies want to sell their products in Britain, then don't bother with exchange rates; they just change the currency symbol and make it more expensive). :P
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

CookieMaster wrote:Speaking of which, I actually got a Trojan last week :shock:
It only infects VISTA computers, ironicly because of its alias....VISTA INTERNET SECURITY 2011.

It drove me nuts! The Trojan was so bad, it maniplunated my firewall system, and kept on saying a virus was implemented for EVERY program i opened!
INCLUDING TASK MANAGER.WTF
How could anyone say that vista is NOT bad now?!
This virus was also stupid, becuase If i clicked 'buy internet security' on the fake anti virus program, it was supposed to lead me to an IE page telling me to buy the system, but irony took its bite and the 'Vista security' said that IE was infected.

Vista is BAD.

My anti virus is Mcaffe. I had Avast (Which was awesome and was updated regularly) but Sky broadband had to replace it with Mcaffe....WHY DID I GET THE HD PACKAGE :x
Just get Norton 360.
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Meph wrote:
Phantom wrote:Yo...I need like, some better specs to even bother trying out Windows Vista/7/8 xP
Even the really cheap ones have very good specs, now. I got this computer for £280, so, in America, you could probably buy it for as cheap as $280 (when companies want to sell their products in Britain, then don't bother with exchange rates; they just change the currency symbol and make it more expensive). :P
I'm still amazed by the electronics industry (specifically when it comes to computers,laptops,etc.) just improving the products YEARLY, it's definitely fast growth, and yeah, definitely agreed on the cheap=actual good specs xP

Mine's pretty outdated netbook, but for its time, it was pretty amazing for what it could do...it's still got some great power, but the 1gb is killing me.
Meph

Post by Meph »

Energizerman wrote:Just get Norton 360.
Why? It's rubbish, slow and expensive. Get Microsoft Security Essentials. :)
Phantom wrote:I'm still amazed by the electronics industry (specifically when it comes to computers,laptops,etc.) just improving the products YEARLY, it's definitely fast growth, and yeah, definitely agreed on the cheap=actual good specs xP
Yes, and with these systems-on-a-chip that they've started selling, I really don't see why desktop computers still need to be in big, heavy boxes. :XD:
energizerspark

Post by energizerspark »

Meph wrote: Why? It's rubbish, slow and expensive. Get Microsoft Security Essentials. :)
:objection:
Since I got Norton 360, I haven't been infected ONCE.
God, I sound like an advert. :XD:
Currently watching:
Steven Universe
Currently playing:
Currently reading:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Energizerman wrote:
Meph wrote: Why? It's rubbish, slow and expensive. Get Microsoft Security Essentials. :)
:objection:
Since I got Norton 360, I haven't been infected ONCE.
God, I sound like an advert. :XD:
Norton's a horrible resource hog...McAfee and Norton is the worst security proggies out there, LOL, your firewall's most likely preventing you from getting infections on your local storage drives, which any regular firewall can do (heck, even windows firewall can prevent that, including browsers like chrome which has a built-in safe mechanism from getting viruses on the net).

Let's see Norton scan for a legit virus on your hard drive...most likely, you won't be able to find it :P
I'll go with Meph's advice for sure, MS Essentials has been stepping up greatly I hear (though I myself don't personally use that suite.)
-------------------------
@Meph, definitely agreed man, but you know what would be just as better? If we can get a Minority Report-like user interface (I mean the movie's universe interpretation of how UI's will be in the future, starring Tom Cruise)...I feel like hardware like Kinect is just one step to reaching that kind of dream UI...I just hope it's not going to be tainted Windows-style xP
Dr.Cookie Master
Spoken languages: English, very very basic French, learning Spanish.

Post by Dr.Cookie Master »

AVAST IS AWESOME.
AVG is plain slow.
What does it do when it detects a virus?
IT GIVES YOU OPTIONS LIKE A POKÉMON BATTLE. Avast independantly stops the virus before IT EVEN REACHES YOUR SYSTEM IN LIGHTNING SPEED!

Norton? NORTON?!? :calisto: :calisto: :calisto:
“Empty?! You took all the cookies!"
"They were crying to get out of the jar... Cookies get claustrophobia too, you know!”
― Charles M. Schulz