The Quotes Thread

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

~Count Olaf~
Spoken languages: English

The Quotes Thread

Post by ~Count Olaf~ »

This is a thread in which members can post thought-provoking quotes so as to spark discussion, specifically concerning said quotes' meaning, applications, and validity.

Be it from a celebrity, a friend, or yourself, all thoughts are suitable for this thread, though I would ask that you specify from whom the quote originated.

Current Quotes:
G.K. Chesterton wrote:Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell that dragons can be beaten.
ZetaAzuel wrote:The worst crime a person can do to another is to give him the exact time and date of his own death.
I will update this post with the quote currently in discussion as it changes.
Last edited by ~Count Olaf~ on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
$Fth wrote:A man with such a name as that is a clear gentleman.
GuardianDreamer wrote:That name sounds like it belongs to some peaceful person who doesn't want to be disturbed, but then when you DO disturb him, he goes berserk and destroys you.
Reyson

Re: The Quotes Thread

Post by Reyson »

~Count Olaf~ wrote:This is a thread in which members can post thought-provoking quotes so as to spark discussion, specifically concerning said quotes' meaning, applications, and validity.

Be it from a celebrity, a friend, or yourself, all thoughts are suitable for this thread, though I would ask that you specify from whom the quote originated.

We'll begin with this:
Herman Melville wrote:It is impossible to talk or to write without apparently throwing oneself helplessly open.
I will update this post with the quote currently in discussion as it changes.
Can I post a quote?
Reyson Incarnate wrote:Criminals really do look like criminals.
I said that the first time I saw a trial.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

It is impossible to talk or to write without apparently throwing oneself helplessly open.
Interesting. No clue how that could be meant though... but it's an interesting sentence.
Since we all have to talk, I guess we're all helplessly open to everyone else.
Criminals really do look like criminals.
There are visual characteristics for criminals? You can see someone's a criminal just by looking at them? Now that's just wrong.
Reyson

Post by Reyson »

I wasn't implying that. I meant that known criminals don't particularly look like gentlemen.
Rey Rey the Jet Plane
~Count Olaf~

Post by ~Count Olaf~ »

Blackrune wrote:
It is impossible to talk or to write without apparently throwing oneself helplessly open.
Interesting. No clue how that could be meant though... but it's an interesting sentence.
Since we all have to talk, I guess we're all helplessly open to everyone else.
I think it means that everything you say (or write) reveals your own philosophy by which you view the world as well as your true character and the things you try to keep hidden.

If I was to say something like "Don't do X, it makes you look like Y," it would be apparent that I believe that X is something only Y would do and that being like Y is wrong.

Reyson's quote was another example of this: it told us how he looked at criminals, how he looked at non-criminals, and how he compared the two.
GuardianDreamer wrote:That name sounds like it belongs to some peaceful person who doesn't want to be disturbed, but then when you DO disturb him, he goes berserk and destroys you.
Koda

Post by Koda »

"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." - The Little Prince
Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet »

I interpret this to mean that certain people are going to find something to criticise no matter what you say or write.
~Count Olaf~

Post by ~Count Olaf~ »

Nudalman wrote:"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." - The Little Prince
Ah, we own a copy of The Little Prince! I had forgotten to read it, but this has reminded me. Thank you, Nudal!

As for the quote, it seems to be very clear on what it is trying to say, that our feelings will lead us where our senses can not. We are a skeptical people, often unwilling to believe what has been told to us unless it can be proven in some manner. While this isn't always bad thing, as it is often a good thing, neither is trust in oneself and in the words of others.
Koda

Post by Koda »

~Count Olaf~ wrote:
Nudalman wrote:"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." - The Little Prince
Ah, we own a copy of The Little Prince! I had forgotten to read it, but this has reminded me. Thank you, Nudal!

As for the quote, it seems to be very clear on what it is trying to say, that our feelings will lead us where our senses can not. We are a skeptical people, often unwilling to believe what has been told to us unless it can be proven in some manner. While this isn't always bad thing, as it is often a good thing, neither is trust in oneself and in the words of others.
No problem, it's definitely an interesting read. It has tons of other great quotes, but this was the only one I could remember at the moment. :P
$Fth

Post by $Fth »

G.K. Chesterton wrote:Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell that dragons can be beaten.
It's pretty obvious what the quote is saying but I still love it to death.
And all the carries and junglers will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll whisper...
"MORDE ES NUMERO UNO HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE"
Bad Player wrote:In comparison, you put objects in bags.
Just call me Ike.
Gombarry
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, 日本語のはなしています。

Post by Gombarry »

Hey, I don't blame you. It's a great quote. I mean even thought it's amazingly simple to interpret, it's just one of those quotes that can give a person hope every time you read it.

After all, all the great things in life are simple. That's whats great about this quote. It's simple and gives people hope in times of darkness and despair.
Holy Turnabout: Part 1 Coming Soon!
Creator of Minoru Akihiro and Jake Atari in Endless Time
Creator ofAntonio Fernandez Carriedo and plays Claudine Leferve in Final Warfare
Creator of Zorro in Redemption at Spirit Isle
Creator of Luke Andrews in Desertia
Creator of Xamen Yem in Infinite Odyssey
Shadowsleuth wrote:BE UNHAPPY DARN IT!
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

I suppose I can make my own quote. Only because I really do belive this.

"The worst crime a person can do to another is to give him the exact time and date of his own death" -ZetaAzuel
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Zeel1™

Post by Zeel1™ »

ZetaAzuel wrote:I suppose I can make my own quote. Only because I really do belive this.

"The worst crime a person can do to another is to give him the exact time and date of his own death" -ZetaAzuel
So, what you're saying is, the worst criminals of all... are doctors? :P
Turnabout Ghost - 1400 Frames
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

Doctors, Murders, Death Row, that kinda stuff. I say that because living your life being able to know you're own death really takes the joy out of life or just makes people reckless.
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Gombarry
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, 日本語のはなしています。

Post by Gombarry »

ZetaAzuel wrote:Doctors, Murders, Death Row, that kinda stuff. I say that because living your life being able to know you're own death really takes the joy out of life or just makes people reckless.
Hey don't forget Time Lords!
Holy Turnabout: Part 1 Coming Soon!
Creator of Minoru Akihiro and Jake Atari in Endless Time
Creator ofAntonio Fernandez Carriedo and plays Claudine Leferve in Final Warfare
Creator of Zorro in Redemption at Spirit Isle
Creator of Luke Andrews in Desertia
Creator of Xamen Yem in Infinite Odyssey
Shadowsleuth wrote:BE UNHAPPY DARN IT!