Collective Writing Forum

Discuss topics that are unrelated to Ace Attorney Online, introduce yourself if you're new and read the latest Member of the Month interview.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

lazyplague
Spoken languages: English

Collective Writing Forum

Post by lazyplague »

Okay so, I’m sure a lot of AAO-ers have problems with their writing abilities, since there’s a lot of limits we have as amateur writers. We all want to get better, but in a very casual RPing community like AAO, we can’t really do as much as we really WANT to, since there’s not as many motivations to take chances.

Basically, I’m asking if anyone wants to be in a writing group dedicated to pushing writers to be better writers. I’m going to say this: While fun is a priority, we want to keep the focus on improvement. That means as soon as you start RPing, your writing is open to criticism, which is generally posted in a thread about your character or you in general.

What I’m proposing:

1. Large RPs heavily based around world building (This is partially debatable, depending on the nature of the RP). While the bases will be set by GMs, RPers will be given the liberty to add concepts and ideas to the rps. How this will go about is free to be decided by the GM of that world.

Along with being large, the RP will be a lot more clear and specific, with threads sometimes being specifically for one on one interactions with no one intruding on conversations. This is mostly to write RP interaction the way we want it. Things like who will be interacting in said thread will be decided before hand, of course.

For example:

One forum area is based around a certain setting. Inside that setting is various other smaller RPs, that can be anything from interaction between two characters to an event with people in it.

2. Stricter rules. At the start, the RPing may be lax, but we will eventually get stricter, perhaps asking for at least one post a day, and more than one paragraph per post. Rules will depend on the GM in question. This means no speed posts or things like Pokerp’s famous TR and WP spam sessions.

3. Eventually breaking the motivation problem a lot of writers on AAO have. A lot of the problems caused by AAO’s RP group is that we have severely lowered activity due to lack of motivation. What we want is to slowly learn how to RP without having a large amount of motivation, or figuring out how to get motivated better.

What the players should expect to have to do.

1. Be completely willing to post often. We want an active group here, so you have to be willing to dedicate a fairly long amount of free time to this project. Eventually we may impose a consistent challenge of having at least 400 words in each post and a post each day. I will do exceptions to this rule in order to include those who want to RP and improve, but can't do it every day. The 400 word limit stays however.

2. Being ready to put a decent amount of effort in each post. We all want to have fun, of course, but a large focus is also on improvement. We also want characters to show a decent amount of effort and be shown to taken serious by their writer.

3. Be willing to listen to critique. What will happen most likely is that we will have a section for critiquing a writer’s style of writing (If they want it.). Extremely Important: This includes HARSH criticism, you can't complain about harsh criticism unless it's deliberately insulting you for no reason, in which case it is not criticism. If you refuse to accept criticism, or tend to act childish when you receive it, don’t join.

And now, for GOALS:

1. Generally improving. We're going to all work together to craft a fun and interesting story together to the best of our ability.

2. Overcoming personal boundaries with writing. As I said, we need to get past comfort zones and write things that we aren't used to. This will be done in multiple ways most likely, such as maybe one RP dedicated to assigning you a concept for a character and having you expand on that.

3. Having some goddamn fun while doing it.

Now, with the bare basics laid out, who’d be interested in this?

And WARNING:

This group will be SEPARATE from AAO with different rules. So there will be no direct links posted on AAO, only this thread to gauge interest. There may be obscene things like swearing involved.

This thread is the bare basics of what I want to do with this idea. I'm only posting it now so I can gauge interest.
Last edited by lazyplague on Sun May 25, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleuth

Re: Collective Writing Forum

Post by Sleuth »

I'm cool with this, as I said on the xat. I personally definitely could benefit from serious criticism on my writing.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

I would definitely be interested in such a project; I both need to learn how to force motivation more, and improve in general. Harsh criticism would do me good.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Since some people seem to be confused as to how we're actually going about handling this:

Yes, there will be a lot more seriously taken roleplaying. We're working on improving our writing and learning how to step over boundaries we set ourselves to, we have to take this seriously. Especially if any of us are considering using writing in our life as a possible means of obtaining the BIGBUX.

This however, does not mean that we will not have fun. The whole point of this is to improve in our writing while still having a large amount of fun. Some may say that it's possible to improve while being silly, and yes it is possible, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone, we're a group of people who want to improve as much as we can, and this is a solution. (Besides, there'll definitely be light hearted fun, but it'll be light-hearted fun with DESCRIPTIONS~)

And of course we won't be forcing the probably a bit more strict agenda for writing on everyone immediately, I plan to ease into it as we get into it.

In short: yes, it's more serious than most AAO RPs, but that's because it's more efficient and there's a lot more to actually do in terms of how the RPs work.
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

I'd be glad to join this since I feel that my writing ability(not just grammar and the like) needs to improve.
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
Court-Records

Post by Court-Records »

I think its a good idea. I'd join, simply to see what others can do. I've been at this for a long time, and I'm even writing a book. A stricter change in pace doesn't sound all bad.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I'm glad to say that upon a count of who was interested, (Including on skype) we have reached the minimum goal amount of players and are ready to start on the project.

Suggestions for how this should work out should be posted HERE until the site is ready.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

I am up for this, I could definitely use the extra practice and criticism.

Edit: For a suggestion, since we will want the RPs to be able to last for a while, maybe they should go through a review process (or something like that), and then set a max amount of rps to be running at a time.
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

I'm already joining this, as I said.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Ooh. Suggestions? (Or more like questions by me. xP)

1. How exactly will the RP be formatted? Will it be a more combat-oriented one? Plot-oriented? Character interaction? For that matter, how will the general concept of the RP be decided? Will there be multiple RPs running on the site, or just one?

2. How exactly will the posting work? Will there be a minimum word count? Will there be some sort of minimum "effort" count (for the lack of a better term)?

3. How exactly will the critiquing work? Will it be self reflection? Will it be have everyone comment on others writing?

4. What exactly will the minimum activity level be? Once a day? A few times a week?

Of course, I'm not expecting you to have all the answers right now, but... These are important things to have down pat, of course. xP

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

kwando1313 wrote:Ooh. Suggestions? (Or more like questions by me. xP)

1. How exactly will the RP be formatted? Will it be a more combat-oriented one? Plot-oriented? Character interaction? For that matter, how will the general concept of the RP be decided? Will there be multiple RPs running on the site, or just one?

Well, RPs can be in any kind of orientation, based on the goal of what we want to achieve with it. RP Formats will generally be the same as on AAO, but may change depending on the RP. RP concepts will be introduced by people who want to make them, and probably checked to see if it works and can last long enough. Multiple RPs will be a thing, but they'll probably be limited to a small number of them.

2. How exactly will the posting work? Will there be a minimum word count? Will there be some sort of minimum "effort" count (for the lack of a better term)?

Minimum effort is probably the best way to describe it. Most posts will probably require some sort of effort put in. I'm not going to be a jerkwad and encourage text walls everyday (In fact, I'm probably going to discourage that for most scenarios unless its needed) But at least two paragraphs is probably what we want from each post.

3. How exactly will the critiquing work? Will it be self reflection? Will it be have everyone comment on others writing?

I imagine that critiquing will work in both ways. However, it will be encouraged to make full out critiques of a person's writing style, as we're all trying to improve TOGETHER.

4. What exactly will the minimum activity level be? Once a day? A few times a week?

Starting off, it'll probably be a few times a week, but I want to eventually transition into once a day.

Of course, I'm not expecting you to have all the answers right now, but... These are important things to have down pat, of course. xP
Yeah it's important to know what you're doing. I've got a good set up in my mind, so we should be able to launch off well.

@Trybien: We'll probably review RP concepts before making separate RPing sections for them.

I'll provide a demo image for how RPs are going to play out in the forum, as it'll be fairly different from AAO's system.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I'd be interested in this, but I'm not nearly prepared to commit. I can't say with certainty that I'll have the time to commit to multiple new RPs, since there are other side projects I'm working on. I'd also like to see how this plays out a bit before committing.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

Beta formatting images are get:

kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Hmm... Is it best to have apps and OoC discussion in two separate forums? Also, for the different threads, would this mean each RP would get its own subforum? Otherwise... I can see it getting relatively cluttered (and confusing to use) relatively quickly...

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

My thought process here is that apps will be easier to find, approve, and critique. It's mostly for the GM's convenience really. Also OoC discussion can be anywhere from world building ideas, theorizing, (because RPs may end up being mysterious OoooOoOoO spooky.) and general chit chat about character relationships and the like.

And yes, there will be a separate sub-forum for each RP.