Ace Everything Else Online

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

TheDoctor
Spoken languages: English

Re: Ace Everything Else Online

Post by TheDoctor »

I like the idea of re-imagining a canon case. Gives me an excuse to work with the Shattered Glass worldline even more. lol
Image Image Image
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

kwando1313 wrote:Breaking canon, to me, is more "let's tweak A LOT of things to change canon"!

Re-imagining of canon is more "change one detail, what happens then"?

But... It's not a huge difference though. xP
It's essentially the same thing. Changing one thing IS tweaking a lot of things. One event is tied to another in a mystery. It's like Gumpei said - the line is so thin it'd be really easy to cross it. How would a re-imagined case look like, even? Same setup as an official case, but different outcome? Different setup of a crime, but same characters? Either way, it'd be based on largely the same information or motivation from the original, I'd say, in order for it to be a "re-imagining". I don't think, personally, that many players would be interested in playing something they'd be largely familiar with or that you'd find a terribly high number of authors willing to write something like that. They'd be much more tempted to simply take existing characters and just create an AU altogether or something.

You could put out something like "oh, but this thing that we thought happened like this in canon actually happened like THIS" or elaborate on something that happened (ie Broken/Bitter), but there's only so many point in canon where you can actually DO that...
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

That's why I said it's a really tiny difference mentally. xP

(Why are we even talking about this, anyways?)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

I think the main difference/"test" for a re-imagining as compared to just breaking canon is that you'd need to be able to point to a specific case that you're re-imagining.
clcman

Post by clcman »

DWaM wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:Breaking canon, to me, is more "let's tweak A LOT of things to change canon"!

Re-imagining of canon is more "change one detail, what happens then"?

But... It's not a huge difference though. xP
It's essentially the same thing. Changing one thing IS tweaking a lot of things. One event is tied to another in a mystery. It's like Gumpei said - the line is so thin it'd be really easy to cross it. How would a re-imagined case look like, even? Same setup as an official case, but different outcome? Different setup of a crime, but same characters? Either way, it'd be based on largely the same information or motivation from the original, I'd say, in order for it to be a "re-imagining". I don't think, personally, that many players would be interested in playing something they'd be largely familiar with or that you'd find a terribly high number of authors willing to write something like that. They'd be much more tempted to simply take existing characters and just create an AU altogether or something.

You could put out something like "oh, but this thing that we thought happened like this in canon actually happened like THIS" or elaborate on something that happened (ie Broken/Bitter), but there's only so many point in canon where you can actually DO that...
Seconded. A AU case has to be noticeably different from the original. This is especially true for mysteries: Does anyone really want to sit through a version of 1-4 that's exactly the same (plot twists and all) except Mia is alive, so she's the player character? Even small tweaks have to have noticeable consequences, even if, say, the only thing officially changed was putting milk in a cup of coffee.

@kwando: We're trying to get to 50 pages while theoretically on-topic so that enigma has no choice but to release the final tape and announce the winner so someone can use one of these ideas!

And yes, I have every right to complain about judges taking too long to announce the results...
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

Well, the theme could be "reimagining canon without breaking it". So ToC, Pre-Emptive or Shattered Glass wouldn't be allowed, but Broken, Bitter or HTB! would.
Trybien

Post by Trybien »

Evolina deLuna wrote:Well, the theme could be "reimagining canon without breaking it". So ToC, Pre-Emptive or Shattered Glass wouldn't be allowed, but Broken, Bitter or HTB! would.
Sounds like it could be fun, but very difficult. Good way to separate the predators from the prey :chew:
Winner of the “Broken Commandments” Case Competition
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

This rule can cause a problem, because authors may make a mistake that contradicts canon.

But anyway, how you folks liked our theme? I know the comp created big interest, but I also wonder how it was working with it.
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Ohhh lordy. Now the ideas I have for things I'm never going to do are getting quite dark and disturbing.

Thankfully, we already had the Despair comp, so I have zero chance of actually feeling the need or desire to capitalize on these sick, sick thoughts.

All the same, I am starting to get antsy to see the next theme. Y'know, just so I can breathe a sigh of relief and go all "phew, no reason to actually post this hot garbage on AAO." I don't mean to pressure the judges, but are we getting close to a ruling on the winner? Just so I can rest easy at the fact that none of you have to look at what goes on in my deranged mind.

As for the theme, well... I thought it was interesting, but I'd question how well the entrants followed it. Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoyed Desolate Corridors Walking Down the Burning Men, but it didn't score many points for theme relevance at all, in my book. And from my understanding, it's not the only one that didn't follow the theme to the letter.

And I mean... what's the point of a theme if you're just gonna find loopholes and workarounds to said theme rather than play to it?
Last edited by SwagmaWampyr on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
AceAttorneyMaster111
Spoken languages: English, français, un poco de español, עברית

Post by AceAttorneyMaster111 »

6 5 more posts and counting, enigma! Hope you're almost done! :chew:

btw take your time.
Gamer2002 wrote:This rule can cause a problem, because authors may make a mistake that contradicts canon.

But anyway, how you folks liked our theme? I know the comp created big interest, but I also wonder how it was working with it.
I think it was perfect, and just in time for the rule change that miscellaneous stuff can be featured now! (thanks @unas)
Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Post by Evo »

I like the theme. I wish I had returned early enough to join.
Acid Rain
Spoken languages: English, Canadian Redneck English

Post by Acid Rain »

Gamer2002 wrote:But anyway, how you folks liked our theme? I know the comp created big interest, but I also wonder how it was working with it.
As someone who stopped being interested in Ace Attorney years ago, this was a dream comp true.

rip less cool ttt banner
clcman

Post by clcman »

SwagmaWampyr wrote:Ohhh lordy. Now the ideas I have for things I'm never going to do are getting quite dark and disturbing.

Thankfully, we already had the Despair comp, so I have zero chance of actually feeling the need or desire to capitalize on these sick, sick thoughts.

All the same, I am starting to get antsy to see the next theme. Y'know, just so I can breathe a sigh of relief and go all "phew, no reason to actually post this hot garbage on AAO." I don't mean to pressure the judges, but are we getting close to a ruling on the winner? Just so I can rest easy at the fact that none of you have to look at what goes on in my deranged mind.
You do realize that DWaM is in a good position to win this one, right?

As for the subject of comp themes, in my experience, they pretty much all fall into three categories: Format Themes, Element Themes and Thematic Themes. Format Themes (requesting a specific type of structure to the case, like this one, or "Short and Sweet") tend to make people do things they wouldn't ordinarily and think outside of the box. Element Themes have one or two specific things you have to do (say, "An Attorney's Badge or Equivalent Must Be A Valid Present At Some Point" or "Your Case Must Have At Least One Non-Human Animal In It"), but leave it up to you to try and implement it. They aren't very common. Thematic Themes are (redundant name aside) more about a tone, a genre or a specific background. Like the last comp, for example, or "Roulette Rules."

Also, another one to add to the suggestions pile: SUPERHERO COMP!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

This was a pretty good comp theme, even if we sort of had it before. It's good to see all these totally not AA characters in cases in situations that have nothing to do with law, and then the large amounts of coding that comes with having to put something really odd in a v6 format.

Anyway, since I'm probably not winning a compo anytime soon, I might as well say what theme I would've gone for had I gotten the chance. It would've been titled something like "I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo" and the theme basically would be that your trial has to come with some sort of basic logic that is built into the world that the characters are all familiar with, but don't match up with our reality. For example, all of PLvAA's magic stuff gave Labyrinthia many more opportunities for puzzles that have solutions that would never work in other canons. Another example would be any case that took place in, mmm lets say SPACE, or if everyone could just fly. Those elements would all add some definite (although perhaps more limited than in PLvAA) shifts in logic.

Does that make any sense?
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

Gamer2002 wrote:This rule can cause a problem, because authors may make a mistake that contradicts canon.

I enjoyed the theme. It ended up inspiring me to more thoroughly and completely look into how to go about making one idea I had for a fancase buried on my computer into a reality.

I'll admit, that I stretch the theme a bit... but hey, the intended result was reasonably different gameplay built around a different puzzle paradigm with a significantly altered theme and tone to boot. Even though, y'know, the total absence of gameplay made it kind of impossible to see any of that at all, ehehehe.....
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!