I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Re: I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Post by Evo »

If CoS wins, my mom will be the judge for the next competition. Or one of my grandparents.
Blizdi
Spoken languages: English

Post by Blizdi »

Evo wrote:If CoS wins, my mom will be the judge for the next competition. Or one of my grandparents.
If you win I can't wait for Ebony Darkness Raven Wright: Goffik Comp
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

right, so it's a day later. not three. just one.
Turnabout of the Gods
Spoiler : Full review inside :
10 Clues That You Are the Protagonist of a Morality Play
Did you know that Apollo Justice is literally the best defense attorney living today? He sure didn't. He also didn't know that Gods exist who control morality and space and the economy. But now, these Gods have chosen him to defend one heavenly being who has been accused... of murder!

See, that seems like a short synopsis, but it's actually a summary of the entire game, because it's really short.

It's really, really short and unfinished, guys.

I didn't even get to know who the world's best prosecutor is, though it's probably Edgeworth.

From the limited perspective of the case I've received, the odd premise, being that these people are Gods with their own powers and mechanics, is a pretty neat idea, not being one I've outlined in the OP. It seems like there has indeed been some thought put into this. And of course, you get, as seems necessary in this compo, a Rules Textbook.
ImageImageImage
The holy trinity of Books You Have To Read Now
So the case has potential, once it gets finished! But as it stands, I do have issues. First of all, out of the two people you can talk to, you can present your badge to neither. That's a 0/20 presentation already, but also, there are numerous missing nametags, timestamps are formatted really weird, a certain diagram gets weirdly formatted and looks all anti-aliased and off, many backgrounds just don't fit, and profiles in general are just handled oddly. And there's also the concern that the writing for Apollo feels really off, sometimes using turns of phrase that would sound much more fitting for the reverent and traditional God, who then anyways just goes ahead and says someone "got murdered." He doesn't seem like he's skeptical ENOUGH of the entire God schtick of the case, and Trucy ought to not be so much of a cloudcuckoolander that she takes it all in stride.

Also there are no puzzles in this yet because it's just an investigation portion.

In general, the game just isn't very solid overall. But at least the contents of our Rules Textbook are explained through dialogue. I can give the case that. Points!

Story - 4/20
Puzzles - 0/20
Immersion - 20/20
Theme Relevance - 20/20
Presentation - 7/20

TOTAL - 51/100
okay now please wait a year for me to write the awards ceremony
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

reecer why

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

it's ok i think we convinced him
one award each, right?

: ) : ) : )

(Good luck to the three teams. Hope to see the cases properly released soon.)
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

dw, we'll probs die of old age before results come in Kappa

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

oh god it's been 3 and a half weeks since i started judging this is bad i'm a bad judge there's three entries and NOBODY EVEN LIKES AWARD CEREMONIES ANYMORE SO IF I ACTUALLY SPENT THE TIME TO DEVELOP THIS AWARD CEREMONY CASE NO ONE WOULD READ IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
With no further interruption... I'm proud to announce the winner of The Odd Premises Compo is...
Spoiler : THE WINNER :
Evo with "Circle of Suspects!"
Now, I should probably explain my reasoning. Since Turnabout Gods is nowhere near finished and leaves a lot to be desired as I've mentioned, the vote came down to CoS and CoaT. And between those two, CoS was just better in every category. It had characters that seemed to have some depth to them (not to say everyone in CoaT is a 2d archetype, but a couple definitely are as far as the case goes right now, and no one witness really shines as a specific personality I should remember.), the custom assets easily push the matter of which presentation is the best in Evo's favor (as well as all the betatesting), and of course, as I mention again, it's finished. Which sucks! Because with the mystery in CoaT, if it were finished, it might very well give it a better and more intriguing story than even CoS! But it isn't finished, and I have to take it at face-value. Being flat-out not finished is always a handicap, and it's one that's hard to work past unless the only completed entry was Normal. CoS is only demonstrably worse at incorporating the theme, but it still definitely makes a showing in that theater as well, and it's not as if the subject had a very high points ceiling. So, in three of the five criteria, Circle of Suspects proves itself to be a more worthwhile case. Sorry, Rune, but you just happened to enter a competition in which another entry was basically a professional-level visual novel.
THAT'S IT

THAT'S THE COMPETITION

NO FANFARE

GO HOME

LET ME NEVER JUDGE AGAIN (until i ask nicely)
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
clcman

Post by clcman »

Reecer6 wrote: unless the only completed entry was Normal
Reecer6 wrote: LET ME NEVER JUDGE AGAIN (until i ask nicely)
Aren't you now glad we made the choice we did?
Spoiler : :
Otherwise, congrats, Evo!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

The curse of the second place strikes again.

But yaaaaaaaaaaay, gratz Evo~

Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Wow the complete entry won.

Gratz.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Congratz to the winner.

Didn't somebody say something about the judge of the next comp? ;P
clcman

Post by clcman »

kwando1313 wrote: But yaaaaaaaaaaay, gratz Evo~
Blackrune wrote: Gratz.
Gamer2002 wrote:Congratz to the winner.
Evo certainly seems to be getting a lot of "gratz," whatever that means.
Gamer2002 wrote:Didn't somebody say something about the judge of the next comp? ;P
If feel like someone did. If only I could remember who...
Evo wrote:If CoS wins, my mom will be the judge for the next competition. Or one of my grandparents.
Oh.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Had fun joining. Congratulations Evo!
--Captivated by Persona 4--
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Congrats again to the winning team. Who knew SoL space fun times could win a murder mystery comp?
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Congratulations to Evo.

I'll close this topic in two or three days, since the next topic is up already.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson