I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Re: I Don't Need to Explain That...: The Odd Premises Compo

Post by Reecer6 »

look look okay. school. come back to me after monday. tuesday is when school stops mattering.

if the almost 2,000 frames I've written for justice for the rest over the last year plus can attest, i can do the awards ceremony very fast. please.
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
clcman
Spoken languages: English

Post by clcman »

Reecer6 wrote:look look okay. school. come back to me after monday. tuesday is when school stops mattering.

if the almost 2,000 frames I've written for justice for the rest over the last year plus can attest, i can do the awards ceremony very fast. please.
Oh, I wasn't talking about you. Take your time. I just found it weird that everyone else was completely silent.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Spoiler : clc right now :
clcman

Post by clcman »

Blackrune wrote:
Spoiler : clc right now :
Don't be ridiculous. I already hacked Reecer's account, stole the links to the trials and finished them.
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

right okay another trial
it's not as long as cos but took me like five times as long to play somehow
Curiosity of a Turnabout
Spoiler : Full review inside :
The only time period someone like Rei could ever be allowed to exist.
Curiosity of a Turnabout is clearly a very Ace Attorney-inspired game, much unlike Circle of Suspects. However, the world of CoaT distinguishes it from any other regular fancase (as I had hoped making this contest) as, while technically it may still happen in the same universe, the setting, rules, and safety of mankind are all vastly different, which contribute to making the game feel like an entirely unique kind of story.

You play as Linus Skye, a man who is simultaneously a scientist and an attorney. You live in a futuristic world, but not just ANY futuristic world, because it's post-apocalyptic, but it's not just ANY post-apocalyptic world, because it's so future and yet so apocalypse that it's basically a fantasy world where mysterious dark creatures roam the dark and one shining bastion of a town exists where you and everyone you know lives. And there's magic. Much magic. As an orphan, you take care of another orphan, Hessehldahl's plague upon this world. And one day, you have to defend a child accused of killing his mentor far outside the city, but it seems like every magic spell in town confirms that he did it.

See, the story of CoaT is very intriguing, potentially more than CoS, but herein lies the problem that so often comes with every competition entry: it's unfinished. You have enough time to grasp who's probably the killer and the very basics of how they might've maybe killed the victim, but there are so many loose ends that I want to pick up and find that it's unfunny. Not just in the murder plot itself, but of the entire world. Why did it go to ruin? We just don't know! And maybe we never will! Hopefully we will know, one day.

I have to give it for the investigation sequence of CoaT—it's long and complicated but has a hint system that works well that makes it perfectly fine to play through. I can't imagine planning out that labyrinth, but it's kind of impressive, having more locations than your usual Ace Attorney case. However, I will also say that the lack of presents (I counted not a single badge present), and in most places, the lack of examine convos, takes away from it quite a bit.

For not really having a betatester, the puzzles in CoaT are actually rather solid. There are a lot of neat mechanics that Rune introduces in court too, as well as a couple of thought routes that string you along very well. Really, the only puzzle that I see being flawed is the more conventional Professor Laytonesque puzzle in the investigation section, which is just unforgiving, to say the least.

In terms of presentation, CoaT is... lacking. Again, no betatesters. There are typos and frame errors abound.
Picture unrelated. This is exactly as intended.
At least I can say the custom sprites and art (and in some occasions, ones I presume are done by Rune himself) are well-chosen, even if there isn't any, like, music made specifically by Dio for this case in this game, like some other entry may have.

Also it's unfinished. That counts as presentation, right?

Themewise, CoaT is REALLY GOOD! The entire concept of spells in this case is exactly what I was going for with this compo, though the theme in hindsight is a bit too ambitious to have a ton of people try to enter and do. And, of course, there's not just spells, there's the rest of the world as its built in the case as well. It's so very different from Ace Attorney, and allows for all sorts of new contradictions and ways to think about things. You may even have to use your understanding of the world to create a potential spell to fit a niche and explain your theory. It's beautiful!
WORLDBUILDING! IT'S ALL IN THIS EXPANSIVE LIBRARY!
Now, I do have to mark off a few points for immersion because we get a LOT of documents in the investigation, including things important to the premise of the case, and some parts of this giant textbook of how the framework of reality functions just are... never mentioned. Not too many points, though, because in general, spells and the nature of humanity are explained fairly well. So, now onto scores.

Story - 10/20 (would probably be a 20/20 IF IT WERE FINISHED)
Puzzles - 19/20
Immersion - 18/20
Theme Relevance - 20/20
Presentation - 10/20

TOTAL - 77/100
i'll probably post turnabout of the gods' review tomorrow because it's like 12 frames
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

i'll probably post turnabout of the gods' review tomorrow because it's like 12 frames
And I thought that my comp had short entries ;P
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Gamer2002 wrote:
And I thought that my comp had short entries ;P
It's the... thought that counts, right?
--Captivated by Persona 4--
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Unless I'm misreading the judging criteria, no, it is not.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
clcman

Post by clcman »

RiksKing wrote:It's the... thought that counts, right?
Enthalpy wrote:Unless I'm misreading the judging criteria, no, it is not.
If I ever (somehow) end up hosting another comp, I'm going to put "Yes, the thought DOES count" in my criteria section. And then greatly regret it by the end of the comp.

Reecer6

Post by Reecer6 »

If my criterion was that thought counted, I'd have a three-way tie, and that's boring. Let's have some EXCITEMENT and SUSPENSE.
~~~Image~~~

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

iunno, a three-way tie with like a million judges would be pretty cool

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

kwando1313 wrote:iunno, a three-way tie with like a million judges would be pretty cool
That's an interesting way to phrase "A total and absolute trainwreck"
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

NihilisticNinja wrote:
kwando1313 wrote:iunno, a three-way tie with like a million judges would be pretty cool
That's an interesting way to phrase "A total and absolute trainwreck"
I prefer "complete and utter s***storm", tbqh

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Clearly we should just have no judge at all.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Blackrune wrote:Clearly we should just have no judge at all.
No, no, no. Judging should be performed by someone who does not speak English and has never played Ace Attorney.