Never Trust The Narrator

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

Never Trust The Narrator

Post by Evo »

Never Trust The Narrator
The False Premises Compo

Who do you trust... when you can't even trust your own eyes and ears, or even thoughts?

Theme

Create a story with misleading, lying or mistaken narration. Narration in this context includes the thoughts and narration of a PoV character (including graphics, sound and dialogue) as well as more meta aspects like evidence description or red truths.

Some examples of what you could do:
  • The PoV character is hallucinating and we see their hallucinations.
  • The PoV character is delusional, and the graphics and dialogue reflect their delusions.
  • The witnesses' testimonies are told through flashbacks from their point of view.
  • The evidence descriptions are deliberately misleading.
  • The narration makes us think we're dealing with a locked room mystery when it's actually... number locks. :tigre:
  • The narrator isn't who we think they are, but actually somebody with a telepathic connection to the supposed PoV character.
Judging

Entries will be judged by DeeYo, kwando1313 and Evo and Evo's grandma on these categories:

Story Concept - Do you have an interesting, engaging, innovative and logical story? Are the characters interesting?
Story Execution - Is the story well-paced? Is the dialogue and narration well-written and natural-sounding?
Graphics & Music - Are the graphics and music well-done? Do they fit the characters, situations and atmosphere?
Technical Perfection - Has your trial been tested carefully, with few bugs, typos or grammar mistakes?
Gameplay - Is the gameplay fair, interesting and enjoyable? Are the puzzles designed and executed well?
Theme Relevance - Is the theme relevant to your story? Is it interpreted in an interesting and innovative way?

Evo will grade each category on a ten-point scale. The final score will be the average of all applicable scores (so don't worry about being deducted points for lack of gameplay if you're going for a kinetic novel.) The final score will influence, but not determine who Evo pushes for as the winner.
Kwando will give an opinion on each category, but no scores.
Dio will give snarky reviews in l33tspeak. The numbers in the reviews will signify the scores given for each category.

After all reviews have been published, we will discuss and announce the first, second and third place. There will not be an awards ceremony trial.

Rules
  • The entry must have been created between June 6th, 2016 and September 16th, 2016.
  • The entry must have an element of misleading, lying or mistaken narration.
  • The entry may be a trial, investigation, comedy or neither.
  • The entry may be unrelated to AA. Mysteries, gameplay and puzzles are not required.
  • The entry must not spoil DGS or AA6, but may spoil any other AA game.
  • The entry must be submitted to DeeYo, kwando1313 and Evo by the deadline.
  • The entry must be sent along with a walkthrough that includes every potentially difficult puzzle, provided such puzzles exist.
  • The entry must not be showcased and/or set to public until the winner has been announced.
  • The entry may be incomplete, although complete entries might be preferred in certain categories.
Deadline

All entries must be declared and submitted to DeeYo, kwando1313 and Evo by September 16th, 2016 at 11:59 PM CEST.

Entrants

If you enter, you'll get a goffik version of your avatar.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

SpyromeDEVIL | EVILind & DEATHenceLawyer | GuardianREAPER | palex666 | SIXKing & cHELLcman | TheDARKtor | DIABOLOgam | ALUCARD Rain | Paul DYING 2016 | TryMAUVAIS | GRAVE | BLOODrune | DSaE (Depressing Sorrow and Evilness) | eNIGHTMARE
Honorary goff: HesselBAAL (offering sprites)

Dropouts

If you drop out, your goffik avatar will be changed to a preppy version.

Image Image Image Image

PREPPY Player | SwagmaWamPREP | TiaPREPvarela | FenrirBRIGHTwolf
Last edited by Evo on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 28 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: Never Trust The Narrator

Post by kwando1313 »

Yay judging! :D

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Well, good luck to all entrants! Per usual, I won't be entering this one (I swear I'll write this case someday), but I'll be happy to beta-test.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheOatyBiscuit
Spoken languages: English

Post by TheOatyBiscuit »

Looking forward to seeing the how the entrants take on this theme, it's a great idea.
Last edited by TheOatyBiscuit on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Same page? I don't think we're in the same book

Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

I don't join this competition.

Every sentence in this post is a lie.
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

TheOatyBiscuit wrote:Looking forward to seeing the how entrants the entrants take on this theme, it's a great idea.
I have faith that the entrants will very entrants.

Total times sued: 10328
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Deep, DeeYo.

Deep.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

I don't trust this comp.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

I don't know if I should trust you, Rune.

*stare*

Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

can't wait for the 8 derivative "The X Premises Compo"s after this

nice theme tho

i won't be joining.

HOWEVER, if you'd like to have me sort of collaborate with you and make your art assets, send me a message and I'll see!
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Oooh I like the theme. Probably won't be joining though because -30302333033030 creativity points.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

So much not joining ;_;

gaiz pls

Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

kwando1313 wrote:So much not joining ;_;

gaiz pls
This is like the opposites day thing isn't it.
You can't enter if you say you want to because everyone's untrustworthy.
...but if you say you don't want to it's taken at face value
You can blame yourself for this.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

In which case, I'll try to enter the competition. I've already started on my entry, after all.

Unlike last time I tried to enter a competition (where I spent all month trying to think of a plan), I actually have an idea and I trust myself enough to go through with it. Forwards and Onwards! I'll actually make a trial this time.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
RiksKing
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, Little bit German & French

Post by RiksKing »

Interesting, I'd like to join, but I'm also going to, after a year, take Enigma & Zeel's advice to heart, and ask if there's someone here who wants to collab with me. I'll of course always try my hardest, but I'm seeing it more as a chance to learn. If there's anyone, preferably someone a bit experienced with trial making, doesn't mind playing a bit of a 'leading role' where he probably has the final say in things and can give me some direction who'd like to collab with me, feel free to PM me/reply!
--Captivated by Persona 4--