Method in the Madness

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Re: Method in the Madness

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

So, I can't create these ridiculous plots and crimes.

However, I can totally put them on paper and help the ideas actually become a reality.

If you happen to be such a person with a ridiculous crime idea, but lack the confidence in your scripting skills or free time to make it work... shoot me a PM. I'd be very interested in working with such a person, if one exists.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

One important rules point:

clcman pointed out that as written, the rules do not prohibit an entrant from submitting a rewrite of a previous case provided the rewrite does not "reuse large amounts of written content from their previous cases." He asked if it would be okay for him to submit a rewrite of one of his old, unreleased cases for this competition.

Gizmological is fine with this, as am I, but I figured it would be best to make sure we are generally agreed on what is fair before making this kind of rules change.

Currently, I am intending to write something to the effect of These rules do not prohibit submitting rewrites of previous cases, provided the rewrite is barely recognizable compared to the original. 'Barely recognizable' is determined by moderation, but as a rule of thumb, it means there are no substantial scenes similar between the rewritten version and the original. Similar examination jokes are fine. A similar sequence of cross-examinations is not. Anybody submitting a rewrite must inform moderation and the host in advance and should provide moderation the original case.

The goal is to block only the cases where submitting them would have an unfair advantage. Planning the cases before the competition has been a fair advantage for a long time, and the only new advantage I see here is having had the experience of writing and getting feedback on the first version. I believe the 'barely recognizable' blocks the unfair cases of this.

Given that clc is hoping to write this case, I would like to have a decision made on this by this time next week. Please post your thoughts on this rule change here. Thank you!
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Post by DWaM »

I'm with it. Can't really say much more than that.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Brace for locked rooms.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Seeing no objections, for this competition, it's alright. I'll get this formalized in the rules soon.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Okay, cool.
clcman is now officially an entrant.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Enthalpy wrote:Seeing no objections, for this competition, it's alright. I'll get this formalized in the rules soon.
Hooray! On that note, I would like to formally announce the entry of myself and SwagmanWampyr into this comp!

On the issue of the new rules themselves, the two points I would like to make would be that:

a) I would argue that a ban on repeat cases that have been released to the public might be appropriate. If a case already has a public reputation or feedback, that does give it an advantage. At the same time, though, I of all people probably shouldn't demand super-strict rules on this - the fact of the matter is that remake cases will always be an incredibly rare thing, so handling it on a case-by-case basis is probably better.

b) I'm a little concerned about the use of the word "similar" in the proposed new rule. I know there's not a good word to build future jurisprudence on this issue around, but the way I see it, of course any rewrites would be "similar." I'm imagining an "average" case (using this extremely rare loophole) would keep a general outline of the story from the previous version and, most critically, not copy dialogue or frames over from the original. So of course there are going to be "similar" scenes, in the sense that the two case's "search the crime scene" scenes will be similar, the prosecutor's case will be similar, some of the puzzles will be similar, and the big plot twist reveal scene will be similar. Now, I understand why you used "similar" (you can't use "identical" or people will just change one word), and this will obviously be a case-by-case basis and anyone wanting to do a rewrite should be held to a higher standard of proof (as it were) than a regular case, but I feel like there's a better word that can be used.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Declaro

Post by Declaro »

Well, since I officially have a competitor now, it seems like a good time to mention that I'll be collaborating with Tiagofvarela.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

So he declares.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

I've updated the entrants list.

I should probably mention that now that exams have started, I'll be a bit less active for a while. On top of that, I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks after that and won't have continuous internet access. I should still be around, so don't anyone hesitate to post here or PM me about anything. Just bear in mind that my response may take a day or two.

Cool? Cool.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Quick! Everyone trash the comp thread while he's gone!
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

Probably a bad idea. Enthalpy's not coming on holiday with me, you know.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Bah, authority figures can always be bribed.

That's totally one of the twists in our entry. Maybe
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Sadly could not kick things off with the bang I wanted to due to a very inconvenient schedule.

That's all over and done with now though, and I'm slowly starting to get back into things.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Gizmological

Post by Gizmological »

We're just over a month into the comp now. We only have a couple of entrants, but there's still plenty of time should anyone else feel like joining in. As I mentioned before, I'm going to have limited internet access over the next couple of weeks, but I'll still be around to keep an eye on things.