Keeping it Simple

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Southern Corn
Spoken languages: English, Bad Jokes

Keeping it Simple

Post by Southern Corn »

Keeping it Simple
Co-hosted by Southern Corn and cesar26100

Good question, Ema. Why can't we? Well, maybe it's time for one. Nowadays, cases are quite complex. The way the crime is done, the number of witnesses, the elaborate cover-up...sometimes I wish we could go back to the good old days. And, well, that's what we'll be doing now!

For this competition, we want "abstract" cases. What exactly does it mean? Well, it's simple. We just want a normal case with not too many characters and not many pieces of evidence (preferably in the single digits, if possibly, not counting the attorney's badge and such). If you need any examples, 3-4 is a pretty good canon case example. It's simple yet efficient with its pieces of evidence and they're all used a lot throughout the case. Think of the muddy scarf or the map of the bridge, and the different ways they're used for contradictions. We want creativity of that sort in these cases.

Judging
  • Story- The story should make sense and be easy to follow, and the writing should be natural. The case logic should, obviously, be simple enough to grasp but must also be clever in its own respects.
  • Presentation- Try to make the music and graphics fit the tone of the case.
  • Puzzles- The puzzles should be simple yet effective and should use the limited amount of evidence efficiently yet cleverly.
  • Theme Relevance- Is the case simple enough to follow while being interesting in its own right? Does it use its minimal characters and evidence cleverly and properly?
Once the cases have been submitted, me and Cesar will play through the cases individually before discussing them together and then posting our review of the case.

Rules
  • The entry must have been created between 17th November 2018 and 31st December 2018.
  • The entry must not be publicly showcased until the judging period is over and the winner is announced.
  • The entry must be a trial. No investigations or comedies, unfortunately.
  • The entry must have a very minimal number of evidence/witnesses (at most 9 for evidence discounting irrelevant ones like the attorney's badge, at most 4 for case relevant witnesses). It should also use said evidence/witnesses in clever yet simple ways.
  • The entry may have spoilers for any AA game, including DGS2. Me and Cesar have played them all, so feel free to be as spoiler heavy as you'd like.
  • The entry may be of any length and can have any number of cross examinations. We won't put any hard rule on it though it's preferable if you try not to make it too long.
  • The entry may be incomplete. Arguably, this is a good comp to submit an incomplete entry to considering the theme.
  • Entries which involve 2 or more cases overlapping may be allowed as long as it doesn't affect the simplicity of the case in terms of characters or evidence.
  • The entry must be submitted to Southern Corn and cesar26100 by 12:00 AM EST, 1st January 2019 (though we'll allow some minor room for error there), along with a walkthrough of the case.
Entrants
  • bigwins
  • AwesomeYears
  • Vagrant
  • Super legenda
  • Mr. Insane
  • Tiagofvarela
  • Salamence
  • AceJakkidFan
  • DJJ6800
Last edited by Southern Corn on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Vagrant
Spoken languages: English, Italian, some French.

Re: Keeping it Simple

Post by Vagrant »

oh hey I might join

MIGHT

y'all better hope i do though so you won't be at last place
coming soon

turnabout in the mist
bigwins
Spoken languages: English

Post by bigwins »

Alright, sign me up. I've got an idea (kind of).
AwesomeYears

Post by AwesomeYears »

This seems like a good idea for beginners like me to try making a case. I'll participate most likely.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Ooh, only a month and a half for this competition? It goes well with the theme. Good luck to entrants! As previously noted, this is a good competition for new trial makers, so I'll sit this one out.

Entrants, send me a PM if you need a tester.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Alright, added a new rule about having two or more cases overlapping. Also added bigwins and AwesomeYears to the entrants list. Hopefully we get more entrants as time proceeds.
cesar26100
Spoken languages: English-Ingles,Español-Spanish

Post by cesar26100 »

Yes everyone please join we're not desperate enough to accept any entries regardless of following rules but we totally will be if we don't get more people so yeah.

Also anyone that refers to me as cesar26100 instead of just Cesar is immediately disqualified I'm still waiting for that name change request to go through thanks for listening.
♂ + ♂ = ♥
♀ + ♀ = ♥
♀ + ♂ = ♥
Love should be genderless.
If you agree, please add this to your signature.
Vagrant
Spoken languages: English, Italian, some French.

Post by Vagrant »

sign me up
coming soon

turnabout in the mist
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

Nice! That's enough entrants to keep me somewhat relieved for now, at least.
Super legenda
Spoken languages: Español e Ingles

Post by Super legenda »

I'll join too.
Mr. Insane
Spoken languages: English, Dutch

Post by Mr. Insane »

Really like this idea. It almost screams “Yo beginners are welcome!”, while still being challenging. I think it’s smart to sign up now, when the deadline is more than a week away. I’ve got a general idea of what I want to do.
Well, I don't consider myself crazy...

I prefer insane...
But that's Mr. Insane for you.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I better throw my name in there quick, lest I be the last one to sign on.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Salamence

Post by Salamence »

I'd like to enter!

Part 1 complete

Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

I'm not entering, but I can be a playtester for hire, if anybody wants one.
Southern Corn

Post by Southern Corn »

All added! Definitely excited to see this much activity so early on and I can definitely sleep in peace now.