Turnabout Twist!

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

FenrirDarkWolf
Spoken languages: English

Re: Turnabout Twist!

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

:awesome:
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Wait, we have to send the entries by PM? xO
Sending it by PM
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

Btw, I want to say that I was quite rushed when I wanted to finish the twist so I couldn't explain the twist and everything with much detail D:
Bad Player
Spoken languages: American

Post by Bad Player »

And the contest... is... OVERR!!

Suspense is lame, so we'll get that part out of the way first!
Spoiler : the winner is... :
Oh, wait.

Did I say suspense is lame?

Cuz I meant to say

suspense is awesome! :awesome:

C'mon, you expected this sort of thing

Don't delude yourself!

trololol

just to make you wait even longer

I think I'll announce the runner-up first!

so the person who came in second place is...

not revealed in this line!

but yeah, it's Zeel with his hilariously twisted Undecided Turnabout!

...that was the runner-up, btw

...in case you just joined us

...cheater

I hope there isn't a character limit or something....

welp, I suppose I may as well say the winner already, right?

...Nah

I think this is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Lol, fine

the winner is....

TheFifthAce, with his twisted Turnabout Checkmate! Congratz, bro!

...Oh, and one last note:

Don't think scrolling all the way to the bottom from the start is going to get you out of this! ;)
Thanks to everyone who entered! I really enjoyed them all :) Here are my comments... Frenchy will probably post up his shortly. (Oh, and my comments are also in the order I played the games, in case you were wondering xD)

Spoiler : reviews! :
Dan: The Twisted Turnabout:
-Nick’s profile should probably have a description… Although I had forgotten you come from the Spanish section!
-Alternate title: “Dude, Where’s My Turnabout?”
-What the…?! Spanish!? What am I supposed to do!? “Examinar”? WHAT DOES THAT MEAAAAAAN
-Turnabout Sisters 2002. Nice… I prefer it over 2001.
-Saturday afternoon, but… I like the almost-immersion ^_^
-Wait, I know what this means…. INVESTIGATION!! (Yes I’m slow)
-Grossberg? :o Interesting…
-Grossberg doesn’t recognize an attorney’s badge any more…? Someone’s been hitting the booze hard.
-High Court Judge…? NUUUUU NOT STRINGS YOU MONSTER
-I think Grossberg is being very in-character :3 With a “Like the scent of fresh lemons, you see…” it’ll be perfect xD
-Ooooooooooooh Franzyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Too bad for her, Kristoph is going to get the jump on her before she can do this to Nick…
-The pigeons. They want bloooooooooooooooooooooood.
-Investigation ~ Opening 2002? Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu 2001 is bettar! Oh wellz, at least it’s consistently JFA
-It’s a good thing we happened to run into this apparently decisive witness right when we were going to leave, huh? :D
-Wait, this guy… is a painter?! Screw it, I don’t need to play any more cases; I don’t think anything else can trump THAT twist.
-Okey…. Guess it’s time for the next part. Lesse the Twist!
-HA! YES! AMAZING!
-Okay. Well. I love Phoenix. And you’re making him an evil murderer. But you’re doing it in an epic way, so <3
-Lmao! Where’d he get a gun? xD

Concluding thoughts:
Well, that was definitely a surprising twist! “The attorney is the criminal!” has always been an interesting idea, but it was never too plausible because the attorney wouldn’t prove that he’s the criminal. But with the amnesia… :D Besides the middle section that was missing due to time constraints, I think the biggest issue is that there isn’t much gameplay; even after the twist, you just watch the events unfold. If there was one or two Franzy v. Phoenix AAI-style rebuttals where Franzy proves that Nick did it, I think that would’ve improved it. Also, if you stretched out the finishing segment that way, it would take longer for the player to realize that Nick actually is the murder.
Anyway, even though there wasn’t too much for me to do and the middle was missing and there were some typos, it was still really enjoyable with a great twist!

Diego: Turnabout Twins:
-Twins? Oh ho, this will hopefully prove interesting…
-An interesting intro… It lined up with the music, which I find doesn’t happen that often when people use the game’s intro music. Sometimes the text didn’t stay long enough, but… I guess you had a lot of dialogue, eh?
-Franzy is defending Nick? :o After Dan’s entry… xD
-Aw, Adrian is the defendant? Oh well.
-Killed with a shoe? xD (inb4 the twist is the murder weapon is Shoe the cat, not the actual shoe)
-LOL xD
Well, that was nice and short and sweet. I’m playing it a day late, but… xD I think the fact that you didn’t have any other big jokes made it so unexpected :P

Zeel: The Undecided Turnabout:
-Wow. Great intro… funny, perfect music.
-I don’t get the Haipe reference, but… xD (Haven’t played the TMafia preview)
-“And hey – would I lie for weed? I don’t think so” xD
-SHUT UP MAYA THEY’RE STEPLADDERS
-BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA …I don’t get it.
-Well, there ARE more murders than child births…
-The only thing better than domestic violence is self-referential comedy!
-Lmao! XD Also props for Le Mis!
-D’awwwwwwww that’s Nick for you! Corrupting Pearls properly, unlike some people. (Killing = bad. Stealing = GO NUTS)
-H-Hey! D: We worked hard on NYT and TSub… Of course, the only thing that sucks more than the fangame plots and players is the authors! :P …Wait.
-Manipulate…? *cough*white*cough*tongue*cough*
-Mansion… fetish? Lolwut?
-Yay I’m a moron! :D
-“Oh look, a shamelessly stolen background.” Hey, that’s exactly what I was thinking! :D
-Oh wow I know this song from some random yaoi flash video… …Gah why did I admit that?! >.<
(I can’t decide whether you should live or die~)
-Silly Wright, those are only on Youtube and Newgrounds!
-relliK xD
-Normally I would complain about cut-off sprites, but…
-“Yeah, I guess so… Wait, no!”
-Who’s Mike Tenay, anyway? :o
-Shouldn’t relliK’s husband’s name be xoF, not Xof?
-I think that’s the third joke you’ve stolen from Family Guy, but I don’t mind~
-xDDDDDDD “Now can we go in?”
-God, this guy is an idiot. Everyone knows that zebras are just cover agents for antelopes!
-Props for Frankenstein reference.
-Antelopes…? HA! CALLED IT!
-“Very reliable unsourced sources”?
-I like my horoscope :3
-I like this guy’s conspiracy theories xD
-Oh noez, no super-obvious instructions on what to do next! D:
-Random Penny cameo xD
-…And if you ever think it’s doing those things, consult Aperture Science technicians immediately! :D
-“Limit you played on your own imagination”…? Reminds me of 1984.
-ALL HAIL THE SPIRIT OF IMAGI!
-Oh noez, random face-shadow switch!
-Also WHERE DID YOU GET THESE ‘HUH…?’ SFXS THAT INCREASE IN PITCH?! DO WANT!
-Terrrrrry! You can do it! I believe in youuuuuuu!
Time for a break… Back!
-Lolz, I wondered about “centre” too xD
-Wow, Nick has an impressive knowledge of Salinger, Lennon, and Copperfield.
-I can’t figure out this contradiction… I was drifting in and out, cuz Ghost Whisperer was on
-An upside-down fox mask…? WAIT, relliK said her husband’s name was Xof! :o
-“Satan’s glorious name” xD
-“killer – that’s relliK spelled backwards, Mike Tenay!” Love the reversal xD
-D: Duncan said I was hired, and when I went upstairs, I got locked outside her room with nothing to do… Good thing I randomly saved beforehand, tho!
-LolAbrupt.
-April 1? Uh oh…
-Well, he doesn’t really fit the bench, but… okay, he’s new and interesting xD
-ZOMG IT’S ELLE …Okay maybe not.
-…Wow, that was the best court overview ever xD
-You stole that last joke from Family Guuuuuuuuuuuy
Well… This was a super-funny and entertaining trial. I always wondered if it was possible to make an actual comedy trial (instead of a comedy that takes place during a trial) and while this doesn’t go to the end, it was still really great! Unfortunately, there didn’t really seem to be a big twist >_>… but I really liked the trial!
(Note: No, I haven’t played Turnabout Orange yet)

Mimi Mika: Conspire a Turnabout:
-*gasp* In Media Res?! And Hotel Dusk music?!? AND KLAVIER HAS BEEN CONVICTED? YES I LOVE THIS TRIAL.
-AAAAAANGST. But this is much better than random angst conveniently introduced in order to get the two characters in question to start making out :3
-December 26…? TSub xD
-I really think everyone’s being in-character… You’ve even captured Ema’s could-be-a-crush-or-could-be-straight-up-dislike of Klavier (even if she doesn’t talk that much about him… I’m getting that vibe from her)
-Aaaaaargh I did NOT like this song from TWEWY… I also never got why it was… like… 3 minutes long even though you never had to spend more than 3 seconds on the game over screen
-Also December 25? Is that a flashback or a typo? :o
-That last scene… was certainly interesting.
Well, to be honest, there’s not much here. However, I think you have a solid foundation for a really interesting case. As I already mentioned, I think everyone seemed really in-character. I’m guessing the twist was about Daryan… but I didn’t really see how it all connected to the plot xD I’d be really interested in seeing the full version of this, once you get a chance to complete it!!

TFA: Turnabout Checkmate
-ZOMG GK2 SPOILERS. AND THE FACT THAT I RECOGNIZE IT AS A GK2 IMAGE MEANS I’VE ALREADY SEEN IT WHICH MEANS I’VE ALREADY BEEN SPOILED FOR IT BUT ZOMGWTFBBQ I like how this (apparently) takes place during JFA but you’ve explained why we don’t know about it
-ZOMG AN AAI TALKING-BG?! DO WANT!!
-ZOMG KRISTOPH
-ZOMG I’M SAYING ZOMG A LOT
-ZOMG
-I like his theme music C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
-ZOMG Killers everywhere! You could’ve made the flight attendant Cammy…. xD
-ZOMG GK2 MUSIC SPOILERS I COULD RECOGNIZE THOSE FIRST 5 SECONDS ANYWHEREEEEEE
-Lol at Squire being a Nick fanboy xD
-xD at Grimm
-O-ONE SIXTY PROOF?! That’s like… moonshine! …It really is American, isn’t it? xD
-For some reason, when Grimm speaks without her glasses she disappears… (Something wrong with the hosted image?)
-Lol way to go Nick xD That’s right, annoy everyone!
-Presto already? :o
-Hmmmmm I wonder how starting the flames with the wine and putting them out with the stones proves Squire didn’t do it? I mean, we’re solving the mysteries, but I don’t see why Grimm is getting so worked up.
-There it is :3
-I was wondering how the police got access to the crime scene if the key was supposedly destroyed… Yay!
-Zomg twist! xD But there’s another possibility: What if the killer took Cornelius’ crown with him when he left the scene? After all, he was unconscious, which would make stealing the crown pretty easy…
-…Wow, another twist xD These people sure are delusional... (This kinda reminds me of Detective Academy Q, actually)
-Finished~!
-For the record, there weren’t too many of these cuz I was really into it :P
Well, there were two impressive twists! The king was alive, and it was all America… It was a bit short and could’ve been fleshed out a little bit more, but I know there were time constraints, so… :3 All the OCs were well-done and memorable… and I’d like to see Grimm in another case xD Also the music was really good :3
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: Turnabout Twist! ~ Judging is Finished and Out!

Post by Blackrune »

No surprises here.
Congratulations! :D
FenrirDarkWolf

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Indeed, congrats. :)
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Spoiler : Wanted to use these as avatars, but it wouldn't let me. They're by Nibroc-Rock :
Ping'
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Ping' »

And here are my comments, in the order I played the cases.
Spoiler : comments :
Zeel1’s entry : The Undecided turnabout

An absurd comedy that thrives on randomness and breaking the fourth wall. Those can either be exceptionally funny or exceptionally bad ; fortunately, yours falls much closer to the first category.
A restless case of impressive length given the context of the competition, The Undecided Turnabout mercilessly pokes fun at all the conventions and stereotypes of AA games, but also fangames, making it our own little Quijote/Jacques le fataliste. There’s a fine line between Pythonesque nonsense and lolmeme laziness, but this case avoids the latter trap thanks to wonderful imagination and the standout quality that your trials constantly deliver: sharp writing.
There is a great creativity to the case that makes the player want to find out what next you have in store, from fake livejournal entries to intentionally terrible music. Many of the jokes work tremendously well. You have impeccable timing and a particular knack for subverting expectations in innovative ways. Some running gags, such as the timestamp guy, are priceless. I also like that the trial is not afraid to cross the line and venture into controversial subjects such as race, sexuality, drugs, and criticism of the very community it is a product of. The presence of Portsman is a must for fanservice (I’m pretty sure everyone who played Bloodlines had the same feeling then they heard AWSUM), and Spearacy is one of my favourite comedy OCs ever, with a brilliant concept.
In regards to how well it fits the theme, many gags could qualify as twists, setting up a situation only to surprise us, and the troll ending, whether intentional or not, is most definitely one, though knowing the number of frames unfortunately made it expected.
To sum up, this is the work of a great talent confidently deciding to do whatever the *** he wants, and we share his pleasure. One of the best comedies this year, and a demonstration that pure license can have its advantages too.
When you polish it up, just make sure to replace misplaced “it’s” by “its” and to fix the one game breaking bug I found: there’s no “move” in the corridor if you decide to go back there in the middle of Spearacy’s conversation.

Diego’s entry: Turnabout Twins

That was predictably short XD
The April’s fool idea is fun, unfortunately the writing is a bit shaky, with several grammar/punctuation errors, weird turns of sentences and redundancy. In addition, character interactions often seem abrupt, and Franny says “fool “ too much for her own good (yes, there is a method to her use of the word :p).
Overall, while this concept could have worked despite being rushed, poor execution kind of prevented it from doing so.
Thanks for participating nonetheless, it’s great that we could get an entry from you.

Danielinhoni’s entry: The Twisted Turnabout

As expected, more of a “sketch of a trial” than a trial.
Still, despite being unpolished (I couldn’t help but notice, for instance, that the menu options are in Spanish, and that Phoenix’s profile says “Nuevo elemento”), The Twisted Turnabout is mostly decent, and certainly a lot better than The Non-Turnabout-That-Doesn’t-Exist.
It has all the basics of an AA case, and while the dialogue is not the most inspired and suffers from a few errors, there are no out of character moments either.
The game gets points for featuring some custom graphics, nice music, and especially for fitting the theme to a T. The twist is genuinely surprising, and we even get a second twist right after the first one.
Unfortunately, in the absence of backstory, it is impossible to tell whether it actually makes sense ; I’d love to hear what the motive was meant to be sometime.
For the time being, I would describe the case as neither bad nor remarkable. It was worth playing for the ending, and so I would like to thank you from submitting your entry even though it was incomplete =)

Mimi Mika’s entry: Conspire a Turnabout

This has huge potential indeed! A unique trial that begins “after the battle”... With the help of a fascinating premise, the story starts in a very emotional fashion, and the dialogue and interactions are believable. Of course, the unexpected twist at the end earns you points as well.
You should finish this, if you’re able to support it with a good murder mystery and solid gameplay, this could be great, I mean it. In the meantime, you’ve submitted a nice little teaser.

TheFifthAce’s entry: Turnabout Checkmate

A very good case, exactly the kind of trial I was hoping to see when I came up with the “twist” theme. Right from the start, it’s got the natural advantage of being the only classically AA-like, fully finished case of the competition, with over 3000 frames and both an investigation and a trial. But even with those attributes, it could’ve been a mediocre case. It’s not, for many reasons.
First of all, it plays and feels the most like a true AA case. Though it innovates a bit, it does so within a formula it knows how to respect. The dialogue is quite solid, and the characters always remain in–character. The gameplay aspect, if a bit easy, is well executed, with clear contradictions. The music choices are excellent (I knew where most of the themes came from, but even if I hadn’t known I still would’ve been impressed by them), and in spite of the lack of custom content, the backgrounds you picked allow “suspension of disbelief” to function admirably. Unfortunately, the fact that some of Grimm’s sprites do not appear is considerably distracting at times.
Secondly, I loved the premise even before the twist. The idea of Phoenix discovering a foreign country, with its own customs and most importantly its own legal system, is perfectly implemented. The case succeeds in making the player feel like a stranger in a strange land, which reinforces the “Phoenix against the world” leitmotiv of the series. The new characters were instantly endearing, and several have some fascinating traits. I especially like Squire, Grimm (admit it, her being French and the great line about lighters was to get my vote, wasn’t it? I noticed Danielinhoni also used a presumably French character :p), and Cornelius. Some of them might have been developed a bit more, but this is probably due to time constraints ; in any case, the potential is definitely there.
Thirdly, it completely fits the theme and makes the most out of it. Not only are there two big twists (and boy is the bigger one shocking) that take this turnabout in unexpected directions, but it’s obvious the case has actually been built around them, which was one of the requirements. In particular, the amount of clever foreshadowing is one of the case’s strongest points. Even the (at first) seemingly random title was chosen on purpose. By the time everything is revealed, you get those satisfying feelings of “AAAAAAAAAAH so that’s why this happened”, which is precisely what I was looking for in this competition. You’ve crafted a convincing mystery, revealing the pieces of the puzzle one by one at just the right moment. Yes, it is somewhat hard to swallow, but to my knowledge, it’s coherent, and not entirely IMPOSSIBLE. In that regard, the scene with Cornelius does a good job of explaining everything. The ending as a whole could’ve gained from delving into Cornelius’ personality more (as his motive was unique, in fact one of the best I’ve seen in a while) and featuring an actual epilogue, but I quite understand why that couldn’t happen.
With a few changes (in particular fixing the sprite issues and expanding the epilogue, the rest is less crucial), it is a likely candidate for featuring in my opinion.
As for the competition, Turnabout Checkmate is my personal winner.
Here is why: while Zeel’s entry has more than a few moment of brilliance, and not only made me laugh my head off but has a good deal more intelligence than your average comedy, Checkmate succeeds on the very terms of the competition. It is the only case that truly fulfills the theme’s promise all while delivering an all-around quality AA-style experience. The Undecided Turnabout, with its extreme qualities, is not that far behind, though.

So here is my final order:
Turnabout Checkmate – 1st
The Undecided Turnabout – 2nd
Conspire a Turnabout & The Twisted Turnabout – 3rd ex aequo
Had Mimi Mika’s case been longer, it would’ve probably been ahead thanks to its premise and good writing. But in the current situation, fairness dictates an ex aequo, as Danielinhoni’s was an honourable effort.
Honourable mention: Turnabout Twist
Once again, congratulations to everyone who submitted their entries, I really enjoyed playing through your cases, and the twists were quite surprising!

Looking forward to the next competition ;)
Koda

Post by Koda »

Congratulations TheFifthAce! :D

I'll look forward to playing your entry. ;)
Mimi
Spoken languages: English: the only language I can brag about

Post by Mimi »

:D

Yay, you liked it! Like I said before, you needed to play the first two trials before this one... and no, it wasn't a typo. :twisted: It's called foreshadowing and hinting...

It wasn't the twist I wanted to put in, anyway. Just a little teaser, like Ping' said... :cry:
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Can't wait until Zeel's is done: I refuse to get cut off halfway. I respect Zeel's writing too much for that.

And good: This should get Checkmate some publicity. It really deserves some. It's henke-approved for crying out loud.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Mimi

Post by Mimi »

>: ( The only suckish thing is that I'll never be able to play these great entries...
Meph

Post by Meph »

Congat's Fifth! :D

And I loved the suspense. :XD:
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Congrats!!!

I'll probably release my former entry Turnabout Dance Hall at a later date.

Oh, and BP, you evil troll you~
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Yeah, I hated how you just made me scroll on and on and on...
TheFifthAce

Post by TheFifthAce »

Whew! I was without computer access this whole weekend and this was the best surprise to come back to! :D
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support and I'm looking forward to playing the other entries!!