The Most Despair-Inducing Turnabout in the History of AAO

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Re: The Most Despair-Inducing Turnabout in the History of AA

Post by Blackrune »

This was pretty hard to judge, that has to be said. These entries were as diverse as they come, and I was able to enjoy all of them in their own way.

RESULTS:

Spoiler : 5th :
Our Last Masquerade by dehughes.

Well, this simply still feels incomplete. Your accident resulting in no music didn't help. Doesn't mean it's bad, just can't compete in its current state. Once it looks as it's actually supposed to it should be an interesting read though. It was also very difficult to spot that much theme relevance at the moment.
Spoiler : 4th :
Stalin's Organ by Rtaos Grimm

You know, this one was pretty hard to place. Quality-wise, this case is pretty far up. If this was purely about quality this could've probably gotten at least 2nd place. But I just don't see enough theme relevance at the moment to give this a higher placement. Even conveying it via the setting doesn't quite work. Firstly because none of the characters are in much despair because of it, so that's just not the message it sends. The other problem is that it's set in our past, so instead of thinking "Damn.... there's no hope left in the world" I think "Damn... things sure were bad back then. Good thing they're different now."
Still sure this case will have many fans though.
Spoiler : 3rd :
Rebirth by Despair by enigma and Swagmawampyr

This was a pretty close race with second place. If it had just a little more theme relevance it could've made it. But... it goes from carefree to has horror elements, then mystery... only in one scene in the middle and the very end do we get a peak in despair and it's over fairly quickly. Before that it's kind of there, but the focus isn't quite on it, so it can't fully compete with the extreme theme relevance of who's in second. Which is a shame because otherwise this case is really solid so far.
Spoiler : 2nd :
Turnabout Dilemma by Whirlwind and Evolina

This case made it this far for being probably the most concentrated theme relevance there is. It fits the description of despair I wrote in the OP the most. Like a precision shot of despair especially tailored for this competition. It also felt really polished. Felt like the work of a perfectionist, not that long but what's there is thought through extremely well.
Spoiler : 1st :
Gates of Sacrifice by ZetaAzuel and kwando

You know, on paper this case had a lot going against it. Game-breaking bugs, for one. Really pointless and random character inclusion, for two. Theme relevance-wise, it was fairly good though. And quality-wise... these bugs really didn't take much away from enjoyment. I have to weigh hours of fun vs. instances of annoyance. Heck, multiple smaller cases could fit into the parts that are fully functional, so scale-wise those didn't leave much of an impact. And so despite those issues... I still felt like it would be wrong to substract that many points for it. The fact it's still first despite all those things I had to consider against it should say something about how much I value the good parts of this case.
Congratulations, this is The Most Despair-Inducing Turnabout in the History of AAO.

There goes our chance for a collab. ;P
And with that I resign control of what happens next to our winners.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!! <3

This made my day happy while riding off to school~

But great job with all the other entries too guys~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
SwagmaWampyr
Spoken languages: English, Basic 1337

Post by SwagmaWampyr »

Raise your hand if you're surprised... kinda regret we wasted half the time we had. Oh well. 3rd place for half the time isn't bad at all.
The one and only Rated B member.
Engaged to Gumpei <3
ImageImageImage
Whirlwind
Spoken languages: English

Post by Whirlwind »

8DDD

SECOND PLACE

JUST LIKE I HAD HOPED

So, Rune, are you not going to post your ratings at all?
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Congrats to kwando and Zeta! I'm interested to see what theme you'll come up with for the next one.

...ONCE YOU READ MY BETA REPORT, THAT IS

(In any case, congrats to all the other earned places, as well. I still have to play through Dilemma but from what I've seen from the first couple of minutes, seems like a strong case.)
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

Whirlwind wrote:So, Rune, are you not going to post your ratings at all?
Well, while fairly accurate if you compare each individual category, the total score is meaningless now. So nah.
Whirlwind

Post by Whirlwind »

But I wanted to seeeee. D:
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Congrats, Kwando. Now hurry up and choose a come theme so we can ll get started on our next entries. :XD:
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

enigma wrote:Congrats, Kwando. Now hurry up and choose a come theme so we can ll get started on our next entries. :XD:
OH SO DON'T GIVE ANY LOVE TO ZETA EH?????

But thanks for all the congrats guys~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

I would. But then he'd become an egocentric maniac. XD
Nah... I just typed Kwando instead of Kwandzeta by accident.
ZetaAzuel

Post by ZetaAzuel »

kwando1313 wrote:
enigma wrote:Congrats, Kwando. Now hurry up and choose a come theme so we can ll get started on our next entries. :XD:
OH SO DON'T GIVE ANY LOVE TO ZETA EH?????

But thanks for all the congrats guys~

Nah jk, we're gonna try and think of some good idea for a case. Also, congratz to other competitors, couldn't have done it without your competition ^^" NOW GO TAKE THE NEXT CHALLENGE... or finish the case you have... like I'll have to do...
Hersh is officially the best for making this awesome Rogan and Parseline Sig!
~Ask Rogan and Djin~
Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Rogan Esquin & Djin

TEAM LINK

Storage:
Eclipse the Lunatone
Abdowing the Woobat
Lasir the Zangoose
Voodoo the Wobbufett Lv. 14
Getter-2 the Porygon 2
ImageImage

Zeta x Dio
~~Proud Son of Dypo deLina and Evolina deLuna~~
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

A massive congrats to both kwand and zeta, and a great job to all participants. Generic, but I can't think of anything new or original to say atm. ^^
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

Super happy to see Zeta finally take home the big one. Congrats, buddy. And Kwando as well.

(Also, there was only one case with 'turnabout' in the title. Now ain't that peculiar.)
Rtaos Grimm

Post by Rtaos Grimm »

Blackrune wrote:Stalin's Organ by Rtaos Grimm

You know, this one was pretty hard to place. Quality-wise, this case is pretty far up. If this was purely about quality this could've probably gotten at least 2nd place. But I just don't see enough theme relevance at the moment to give this a higher placement. Even conveying it via the setting doesn't quite work. Firstly because none of the characters are in much despair because of it, so that's just not the message it sends. The other problem is that it's set in our past, so instead of thinking "Damn.... there's no hope left in the world" I think "Damn... things sure were bad back then. Good thing they're different now."
Still sure this case will have many fans though.
Spoiler : :
"At least 2nd place?" "At least?" Nitro's taking the fall for this one, if only everyone didn't look forward to World War III. Fair enough, that statement says to me you really liked the plot. I'll leave you a quote from Triple Six: "When you play to win against a bunch of demons, be sure you're holding all of the cards."

Appreciated.

Though I received 4th place but could of gone higher, I still need to thank the people who made this case possible.
Thank you to Dataman for all sprites and custom images.

Thank you to Unknown Davective and Singidava for a custom background that I'm fond of.

And thank you to Albert Pierrepoint, Sand dan Glokta and Bremer dan Gorst for the inspiration.

Congratulations to Zeta and Kwando on the victory.

Bullet Tooth Tony: "Boris the Blade?
Solomon: "Yeah."
Bullet Tooth Tony: "As in Boris the Question Dodger?"
Solomon: *nods head*
Cousin Avi: "Why do they call him the Question Dodger?"
*pause*
Bullet Tooth Tony: "Because he dodges questions, Avi."

Adapted from the film "Snatch"
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »