Time Goes By...

Join in with competitions to make the best trials... with a twist!

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

DWaM
Spoken languages: English

Time Goes By...

Post by DWaM »

Okay, so before we begin -- I'd like to announce that I've chosen a co-host for this competition. As far as I know, such a thing is not against the rules, and even if so, I see no reason why such a thing would be forbidden if I, as a host, see it fit to get someone else on-board.
That being said, I'd like to thank enigma for joining me in this... epic quest! ...Of sitting here for three months and then having everyone tell us to hurry the hell up once we fail to judge the entries in like a month after the deadline.

*Ahem* In any case, I'd like to welcome you all to the next theme, which is...

Time Goes By...

How did it get so late so soon? -- Dr. Seuss

...Time! Everyone loves time, right? Oh, what a wonderful thing it is. The most inexhaustible of humankind's resources. Time - you've got plenty of it!
Except you kinda don't. A moment spent can never be returned. Life's a mean salesman that doesn't do refunds. And yet, like it or not, you spend another. And another. And another. Until it all eventually builds up and forms a debt that you can never repay. All we can do is look back and watch what we've done. Who we were. The moments that defined us.

Task:
So what exactly is it we want from you? It's simple. Show us time.
Well, let's be more specific:
Show us a character's life through a longer passage of time. Let's say that the minimum would be a year. Some more creative could do it with a few more. Some could do it in centuries, if they're really creative. But the key word here is life and the changes that happen with it. Show us an inexperienced rookie turn into a hardened veteran. Show us the tall and mighty fall. Show us the broken and begging rise.

Now, don't misunderstand - we're not telling you to do a trial series. Your entry may contain a case (or even multiple, if you're up for it), but there are other ways of showing what we want. How you want to show this is completely up to you.
Naturally, we're also not asking for you to show us everything that happens, day after day after day. Show us a journey. Tell us an epic (or perhaps not - you can also follow a character through his or her normal life... though that would arguably be risky, I suppose, since there's a danger of the story becoming a bit boring, but hey - anything can be made interesting). Give us change. Give us moments that would define the MCs or even other characters' lives. Give us... life!
(This also doesn't have to be "from cradle to grave" kind of thing. Just... a part of the journey - but an interesting part, ideally.)

Do note that the character in question doesn't have to be the MC. Sure, the MC will age and perhaps change, but you're allowed to put the focus on another character - that goes without saying.
And, naturally, we should be able to witness the evolution of the character -- that is, a simple timeskip that suddenly has a complete personality shift is kinda... eh. (UNLESS you manage to somehow show that evolution through other means? Hmm...) But you get what I mean. A complete out-of-nowhere character shift after 10 years isn't quite what we're looking for.

Do note that we will not be assigning points to each of the five categories during our reviews. Don't know why I'd mention that, but just so it's all straight out in the open.

Conditions
  • The entry must have been created between December 24, 2013 and March 24, 2014.
  • The entry must not be showcased until March 25, 2014.
  • The entry must follow a character go through a larger passage of time. (Minimum of 1 year)
  • The entry can be a miscellaneous or a comedy.
  • The entry may contain DD spoilers.
  • The entry may contain PLvAA music spoilers, but may not contain story or sprite spoilers.
  • The entry may contain GK2 music spoilers and may contain story or sprite spoilers from Cases 1 and 2. The entry may not contain GK2 story or sprite spoilers from Cases 3 onward.
  • Naturally, the entry must be sent to both me and enigma.
Deadline
March 24th, 2014 - 11:59 PM CET
Do note that I also won't be terribly strict with the deadline. You'll probably have additional 14 hours, give or take after this deadline, but at the time, I'm only assuming. Since circumstances change, I'd rather you focused on this one and tried avoiding doing everything at the last minute.

Entrants
2002: A Gamer's Odyssey (sponsored by Doritos); hosted by some chubby guy who apparently knows stuff
Matthew J. Socks
FalselyAdvertisedNinja and AAO's Neil Diamond
"I. AM. THE LAW!" -- Nick, Age 75 (RIP 1992 - 2057)
Gav (I was gunna flip your name backwards, but I'd rather keep my membership, thank you very much)
The Incredibly Handsome Dave
Wacky "I swear to God I'm gonna drop out" man
The SCIENCE Team Actually, I suppose it's "duo" But no, on AAO two people working can be considered a "team" But it technically isn't, it's a duo Well, kinda, a duo's more of a music thing Oh God, I really need to get this right Team
We, alone, are the fire! (It's a Croatian pun on "sami"... I... couldn't really think of anything appropriate to make fun of Sami. I AM NOT CRUEL AGAINST WOMEN, DAMMIT)

Well... Have fun, enjoy, live long and prosper and whatnot.
Last edited by DWaM on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Wackyman

Re: Time Goes By...

Post by Wackyman »

Hm...interesting concept. I dig it.

Although, I'm currently trying to plan another case, and I'd rather put more focus on that, but I'll keep this in mind if I ever get an idea.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

...I've had an idea for a while that would work impeccably with this. Hm. I'll give it some thought. Regardless, quite interesting.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Chalk me up as a "maybe" for this. I have a very simple idea (don't expect a mystery out of me) but don't know if I'd get myself to actually work on it. I'll have to see.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

Alnar
Spoken languages: ??????

Post by Alnar »

Interesting, the case I had planned for the previous Competition might work for this.

Don't count me in just yet though.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

And don't forget, you're not just bribing DWaM but me too~! JudgEnigma, standing by for judging and bribery and sitting around while you guys make your cases. :3 inb4 Rena'slifebeforeHinamizawacase
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Interestingly, before reading this I had idea in my mind that could work out for this after some modifications.
Though this topic asks to make another some biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig case ;P
But I'll try to restrain myself this time.
And try to recruit help before last minute ;P

So I'm in it.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

I'd actually be totally interested in a case that would span over something like an hour or a day, time is an interesting concept, both on the long and the short term.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Wackyman

Post by Wackyman »

A case taking place over the course of a day isn't exactly new, though...It's been done in fancases and actual AA cases alike.
HIROSHI-SAMA IS STILL THE GREATEST.
SS Sleuth and I are the same person.
gotMLK7 fashioned the Trama picture below out of female skulls.

[3/19/14 11:31:48 PM] Ultimate Butt-Rubber (Gumpei): on the other hand you could try playing with your balls submerged in icy water
[3/19/14 11:31:51 PM] Nick (Hodou): yeah I'm thinking that's the idea.

Check out my first trial co-created with Dypo_deLina Firing up the Turnabout!
Call me Wacky.

Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

I don't know what's been done but a game based on the idea of time flowing could be awesome, gameplay and story-wise.
I remember a French event "the 24 hours of comics" which theme was "a comic in which each pannel and each page covers the same timespan", some happened in years, some in seconds, it was awesome.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Blackrune
Spoken languages: English, German, Japanese

Post by Blackrune »

You and your tempting themes.
Even worse, you and your themes that only give me ideas that'd inevitably involve a ton of frames.
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

I'm not sure how you could do this WITHOUT a ton of frames honestly. Unless you did this.
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

Masterpiece.

But in all seriousness, I'm willing to bet it can be done within a reasonable amount of frames. It all depends on what story you're trying to tell and how you're trying to tell it. You can consider it a part of the challenge, in a way.

...Granted, that's only me making assumptions. For all I know, it's impossible and in actuality can only be achieved by a 4-way collab or something. I'm still willing to bet against it, though. I'm certain that a way must exist.
clcman

Post by clcman »

Well, would it be within the theme to have, say, one case mixed with a lot of flashbacks of a previous case (such as the final case of AJ:AA)? Obviously you'd want to have some flashbacks to the mid-way point between the two times, but that might be a way to cut down on the frames.
What do REAL, NON-BRIBED people have to say about HTB!?
"This really changed the way I thought about Phoenix as a character. ...Wow." - Reecer6
"HTB! contains truths that might be hard to stomach, but had to be unveiled nonetheless." - Blackrune
"This deserves a best plot twist award." - Evo
"It changed my life, and it can change yours too. For the better, I mean." - Calvinball
"I will never look at Phoenix Wright the same way again" - PhoenixRises123
"omg best thing on aao" - AceAttorneyMaster111
DISCOVER THE TRUTH YOU NEVER KNEW YOU DIDN'T KNOW IN HTB! PROLOGUE AND PART 1, AVAILABLE NOW!!

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." -Isaac Asimov
"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." -H. L. Mencken
DWaM

Post by DWaM »

That would be okay - as long as they are tied to the MC and the situation at hand, of course. That being said, if you're going for that, we should ideally see some kind of difference between the two periods of time (either visual - erm, aside from the black and white, preferrably - or in characters).