How do you add a black&white/sepia flashback visual effect?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Mr. Onizuka
Spoken languages: English, Español

How do you add a black&white/sepia flashback visual effect?

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Greetings and salutations! I've watched a couple of fan trials, and noticed that some use that visual effect for Flashbacks: they repeat a brief scene they already showed, but in a Black&White or sepia color pallete to show it's a flashback.

My question: is there a simple way to do this via the editor (dunno, using some sort of semi-transparent filter above the frame) (yup, I've no idea about image editing), or you just have to take the long way? (meaning, take all the background and sprites in those scenes, and re-colour them so they look like this)
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Re: Black&White/Sepia Flashback visual effect

Post by Tiagofvarela »

I am almost entirely positive you need to recolour the backgrounds (and characters, I guess) yourself if you wish to achieve this effect. At least that's the idea I got from researching it, and the method I'm using for my cases.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

There's currently no way of doing it in the editor, but there are plans to add a filter some time in the future (thank you based css3).

Right now, you'd have to use paint.net or gimp to edit the picture.

Though, honestly, it's not too bad. It's literally just a filter you need to apply on top. Sprites are more of a pain because you need to go frame by frame, but... It's not hard. (Just a bit tedious.)

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Aw, I see. Well, if you want something well done, you gotta suffer for it haha. Thanks for your answers, guys.
Reverie
Spoken languages: English

Post by Reverie »

first there was only dark
http://www192.lunapic.com/editor/?action=effect-bw
but then, there was dark with a bit of light too
Last edited by Reverie on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calvinball

Post by Calvinball »

In other words, the website lunapic has a great tool that can make both .png and .gif images black and white.
The score is still Q to 12. Shirley Homes avatar by my Invisible Friend. They're an awesome artist!
ImageImage

A huge thanks to my Invisible Friend for this AMAZING Shirley Homes art!

Shirley Homes

Connie Harper
A big thanks to gotMLK7 for this Shirley Homes and Connie Harper art. He is an awesome artist!
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

Those who are interested in when AAO will support this feature can see its status on the Issue Tracker here.

This is a feature I personally want to see, and if it isn't done before then, I plan to pick this up after a I'm done get Omniscient Game working.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
TheDoctor

Re: How do you add a black&white/sepia flashback visual effe

Post by TheDoctor »

Hmm, I wonder if Ferdielance might know whether or not there's an SVG filter that can do this in the meantime.
Image Image Image
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

"Image," not "filter." No matter what we do with SVG's, any approach like what you're describing is going to be simply adding two images together. With fades, this can work. We can overlay a generic fade-to-black graphic on a picture. The generic fade-to-black exists, and we get the desired effect.

Not so with a greyscale effect. What you'd need is a single image such that you can overlay it on anything, and it produces a greyscale effect. I don't believe this can be done. If you overlay a transparent grey background on a picture, you can still see the color underneath. I'd love to be proving wrong, but I struggle to believe that an image with these properties exists.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Mr. Onizuka

Post by Mr. Onizuka »

Spyromed wrote:first there was only dark
http://www192.lunapic.com/editor/?action=effect-bw
but then, there was dark with a bit of light too
Awesome! Just what I needed. Thanks, Spyromed.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

SVG stuff is basically CSS, so the issue tracker thing is still it unfortunately.

edit: can't read, Enth answered it already...but yeah the only way via SVG is to use the CSS grayscale filter.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)