Where to find post-2011 downloadable character GIFS?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Torri 800
Spoken languages: English

Where to find post-2011 downloadable character GIFS?

Post by Torri 800 »

Yes, you heard me. POST 2011, meaning in games after Edgeworth Investigations 2 (Dai Gyakuten Saiban, Dual Destinies, etc). I tried looking for downloadable character gifs for 3D animated Ace Attorney characters such as Athena Cykes, Bobby Fulbright, Ryuunosuke Naruhodo, Susato Mikatoba, Simon Blackquill and the like, but I couldn't find any sources compatible with AAO. My investigative :atmey: prowess has turned into impatience. :tigre:

Because AAO isn't accessible to new characters by default, and with the Court Records site being the only way to use characters from post Apollo Justice (but not after the Investigations games), I thought that there must be another way I can get my desired 2013, 2015, and post 2015 character gifs. I'll let the title speak for itself. Then again, thanks for your help!

Court will reconvene after a brief recess! :judge:
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Where to find post-2011 downloadable character GIFS?

Post by Enthalpy »

Before I answer the question, let me explain why pre-2011 character animations are easy to find, but post-2011 is not. The difference is whether the game was intended for GBA/DS (easy) or the 3DS (hard). DS animations use what are called sprites. You have a 256x192 array of squares, called pixels. To make a sprite, each square is given a certain color. If you assign a color to each pixel, you have a frame, and if you put the frames together, you have an animation. Computers know how to display sprites, quite easily! Because these animations have a simple structure, and computers understand them, it's easy to use these sprites.

None of that is true for 3DS animations. They don't use pixels but 3D "models". I don't understand models, but I can tell you they are a far more complicated data structure. This means it is harder to extract these from the games. When you do so, it is much harder to get one of these sprites to display.

Now for the answer: The best solution we've found is for people to extract the animations and then cast those into 2D sprites that look like the 3D models as much as possible. I don't understand how they do it, but I appreciate them. Look in the Court-Records art forum for threads where people have gathered some of these sprites.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Torri 800
Spoken languages: English

Re: Where to find post-2011 downloadable character GIFS?

Post by Torri 800 »

Thanks for the feedback!