Is there any way to make GIFs always start at the beginning?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Aviivix
Spoken languages: English

Is there any way to make GIFs always start at the beginning?

Post by Aviivix »

> I say GIFs but I mean APNG and animated SVG. Just animated images in general.

I have this recurring problem. I use fade pop-ups to transition scenes, but the problem is they're either totally non-functional (in the case of the SVG fades that are "played once" and then just frozen from then on) or super inconsistent (I have APNG fades that are loops with long delays on the last frame. I guess the idea was if it looped it wouldn't be averse to replaying. In hindsight I should've seen this coming.)

I can only assume that when all the images and sounds are loaded, they're just kept sitting there in the background or something, because I attribute both of these phenomena to the possibility that fades are never actually being restarted, just made visible and invisible.

As such, though, there seems to be no way to actually reliably make a fade. Just janky inconsistent workarounds. But there's totally gotta be a way to make it work right? Anyone have experience in this regard? Fades are important to me, man. Everything looks so choppy and not-good without fades maan. I need my fades.

Please help.

(Evidence of the inconsistent fades with looped APNG; without editing the case at all and just going back 1 frame before and playing it back, I've had one fade fail 2/5 times, another fade fail 5/5 times, several others fail 4/5 times, and even caught one restart once.)
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Is there any way to make GIFs always start at the beginn

Post by Enthalpy »

Can you give me a link to a trial where this is an issue for you? I have the vague memory of this being related to browsers.

I'll investigate this bug, but no matter what happens, I can promise there will be a solution for fades in the next AAO update. We've spoken to Unas about when that will be, but we don't have a date yet.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Aviivix

Post by Aviivix »

Enthalpy wrote:Can you give me a link to a trial where this is an issue for you? I have the vague memory of this being related to browsers.

I'll investigate this bug, but no matter what happens, I can promise there will be a solution for fades in the next AAO update. We've spoken to Unas about when that will be, but we don't have a date yet.
Not sure if you need me to add you to the contributor list - always coin flip on whether site staff can automatically go into your stuff lol, but adding you to the list in case that's something I need to do. :P

The best place to observe this is the scene starting on frame 601.
http://www.aaonline.fr/editor.php?trial_id=112888

Pardon the janky writing by the way. I'm adapting a YouTube video series into a playable case, and I'm writing first, then going back and making phrasing adaptations/rewriting sections to feel more natural.

And for the record, I'm on Chrome.
Aviivix

Post by Aviivix »

I just thought of a genius, albeit really tedious, hypothetical solution that I might be able to turn to if all else fails. Which is just having like 10 static fade frame pop ups of varying opacity, then stringing together 10 frames with short waits. It's I think the most MacGyver solution to any AAO problem ever, but if it winds up working, I'm 100% willing to put myself through that circle of hell to get flawless crossfades.

I told you, man. I'm addicted to the fades.
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Post by Enthalpy »

I have access to everything in English, but I don't know which trial to look at for examples unless you tell me. I'll give it a look over the next couple of days!

Your MacGyver solution is completely unnecessary. Again, I can promise there will be a solution for fades in the next AAO update.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
Aviivix

Post by Aviivix »

Gotcha - eagerly anticipating that then! Next to "evidence added to court record" pop-ups, fades are the biggest thing I've been wanting to see.

You guys do awesome work, thanks a ton for the answers!