Help! My fades won't work when I have a foreground object

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

mars0id
Spoken languages: English

Help! My fades won't work when I have a foreground object

Post by mars0id »

I'm using the fade in for a character, not the background. So, normally the fade ins and outs for characters work. But for some reason when I put the character on a setting that has a foreground object, there is no fade, he just pops up. Is there any way to combat this?

I've tried using the setting the program gives you called "Detention Center (behind, PW)" and I even made my own version of this by hosting the foreground image (being the detention center counter that clients are behind) on imgur. My homemade setting works in every other ocassion, just not for character fades. Help!! :gumshoe:

-Seth
"uhh... there is no evidence,,, take off your clothes." phoenix at manfred, probably
Enthalpy
Community Manager
Spoken languages: English, limited Spanish

Re: Help! My fades won't work when I have a foreground objec

Post by Enthalpy »

Can you make an as-short-as-possible trial showing this behavior, so I can investigate?

"short" here means "as short as possible."
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mars0id

Post by mars0id »

Enthalpy wrote:Can you make an as-short-as-possible trial showing this behavior, so I can investigate?

"short" here means "as short as possible."
What the-? When I made a random test trial, it worked just fine! I may have to add you as a trial tester for my actual game I'm working on. Maybe I'll make it so it's only the specific trouble scene, but you'll go in with no context. That's fine, right?
"uhh... there is no evidence,,, take off your clothes." phoenix at manfred, probably
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Send me the as-short-as-possible trial, a link to your trial that demonstrated the bug, and the exact scene number and frame number that is causing problems. You can post those here or PM them to me.

I won't have the dedicated time I would need to investigate this for another eight hours or so.
[D]isordered speech is not so much injury to the lips that give it forth, as to the disproportion and incoherence of things in themselves, so negligently expressed. ~ Ben Jonson
mars0id

Post by mars0id »

Enthalpy wrote:Send me the as-short-as-possible trial, a link to your trial that demonstrated the bug, and the exact scene number and frame number that is causing problems. You can post those here or PM them to me.

I won't have the dedicated time I would need to investigate this for another eight hours or so.
short-as-possible-trial:

http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=118299

trial with the bug, (Investigation scene #4: Detention Center, frame number 417):

http://www.aaonline.fr/player.php?trial_id=118121
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

When you say "fade ins and outs for characters," do you mean an "Appearance animation" and "Disappearance animation"?
mars0id

Post by mars0id »

yes, that's what i mean
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

Okay, great.

You said the test trial "worked just fine." Does that mean for the test trial, you're seeing Maya fade in?
mars0id

Post by mars0id »

yes, i was originally talking about the maya quick test trial when i said it worked “just fine” but as i play it on mobile and on computer, it’s not working. i think what happened is that i thought it worked “just fine” in the trial editor, not in the link i gave you. i still have no idea what i’m doing wrong
Enthalpy
Community Manager

Post by Enthalpy »

I can explain what's happening with your test trial.

AAO is programmed to not transition in characters when the place changes. Every time you try to get the characters to appear, you also redefine the place, so AAO doesn't apply the transition. If you want the transition, you'll need to define the place on one frame and the transitioning character on another. You can use merged frames or wait timer 1 to accomplish this. (Let me know if you need me to elaborate on that last sentence.)

As for why AAO does that, it's so that the transition won't go off when a character stays on-screen, but the background place changes.
mars0id

Post by mars0id »

thanks so much enthalpy! your explanation helped, and I decided to leave the frame before the fade in blank but with the same background as the fade frame. its just a bit easier on my end. thanks much!