Ask player for a variable's value questions

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

karlkablisk
Spoken languages: English

Ask player for a variable's value questions

Post by karlkablisk »

I want this thread to explore the uses of this new feature.

I was thinking of having this replace my "Save it!" feature since its all in game and doesn't require copying and pasting in the browser kinda breaking the 4th wall.

Like enter a password and they type in a password thats given at key points of the game and can go there. I thought something like var is password but how would it work? Because this is one of the few actions that doesn't have a skip to frame thing so after someone enters a value nothing happens.

Is this JUST for manually setting values from the player's side?

If thats the case then they type in the value then I have the evaluate thing in the frame after that and it says if the password = password number 1 then they got to the checkpoint where #1 is?

Hey I think I just answered my own question, you're awesome Unas! lolz.

This has one advantage over my checkpoint thing. It allows someone to use it no matter if I update the game or not. With SAVE IT, one downside is that the number is static but if I go back to update previous parts of the game the number on the frame changes. So I would have to update the link. But with the password it will go to the correct frame every time because everything is processed in-game. I've already put the password system into my trial for testing purposes.

What other uses can we get out of this? The name thing was cool, we can make the player the killer now. lolz.

I have another use for this that I want to use in investigation 2 of my game, hehehe.
Trials in Progress

Play: "Turnabout Suicide"
PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

"Gyakuten Rap" (short song timed to the game animation with evidence)
Progress: Complete

- KKL
karlkablisk
Spoken languages: English

Re: Ask player for a variable's value questions

Post by karlkablisk »

It works very nicely except I have to reload all evidence and any required variable etc in those save spots. It was a bit less work with the "SAVE IT" feature. Still I see how it could work well.
Trials in Progress

Play: "Turnabout Suicide"
PROGRESS: Finished part 1! Currently reviewing since it was made a long time ago.

comments go here

"Gyakuten Rap" (short song timed to the game animation with evidence)
Progress: Complete

- KKL
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Re: Ask player for a variable's value questions

Post by Unas »

Good, you answer your questions by yourself :P
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )