How do I centre text?

Learn how to use AAO by reading tutorials, and seek help from the AAO community.

Moderator: EN - Forum Moderators

Transfinite
Spoken languages: English

How do I centre text?

Post by Transfinite »

I've noticed a lot of trials have tried to do the whole, -- Centered text here! -- thing for the beginning of witness testimonies that the actual games do. However, it winds up not working.

After some testing, I've found that it's possible to move the text down one or two lines by hitting enter, and you can more-or-less center it by adding   a number of times before the words you want centered (though it takes guesswork to see how many you need, and it may display differently for others), and it will display that way when you play the trial (example here) but if you go back to edit the trial, you have to fix it all over again or else it will have been lost. Not fun.

Is there a simpler way to do this?
RandomJibberish

Re: Centering text

Post by RandomJibberish »

you can use <centre></centre> tags IIRC, but the text will appear immediately and not click in.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Transfinite

Post by Transfinite »

Nope. I tried it with <center> and <centre> and neither worked. And in the text box, once I clicked confirm and then clicked on it again to see what was in it, it had somehow become <span style=""></span>. And I looked it up, there doesn't seem to be a way to center text using span tags.

I tried it with div tags and that didn't work either.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Yeah, that about the <center> tags is a myth someone launched long ago, it never worked. Because a <something> tag in a normal text is automatically converted as a <span style="color:something">. Since "center" is not a colour ( :P ), it's removed. That's how you get the style="".
Anyway, it's not currently possible to center texts, sorry :wink:
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Transfinite

Post by Transfinite »

Aw.

Oh well, thanks! I'll live.
Powerdrone

Re: How do I centre text?

Post by Powerdrone »

Is it possible to center text in the forums? If so, how?
Meph

Post by Meph »

Do not ask questions about the forums here. :) And no, it's not possible. ;)
Powerdrone

Post by Powerdrone »

Alright, thanks haha. (Sorry, about the question, but the theme of this topic seemed to fit well lol.)
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

I saw this topic in the list of FAQs, and I wanted to point out that it IS possible to center text in-game, and you don't even have to mess around with non-breaking spaces. Regular spaces get deleted, but you can use a special EM SPACE character copy-pasted into the text input area.

Like so (it's in between the brackets): [ ]

That allows:

   Courtroom Lobby No. 3
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

Wow this is 3 years old Ferdie xP
Meph

Post by Meph »

And yet he contributed something relevant and helpful, rather than pointless creating a new topic. However, what you have posted is off-topic, Mono.
Unas
Admin / Site programmer
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español

Post by Unas »

Relevant, yes, but I already warned against using this technique a short while ago :
http://aceattorney.sparklin.org/forum/v ... 48#p474448
Unas wrote:I wouldn't recommend using too many special characters on V5. It's supposed to work, but is quite a big mess in the V5 format, and might get troublesome at some point. (most notably, it'll make the conversion from V5 to V6 a little risky)

V6 should handle this kind of characters cleanly without any problem, but it's not normal for them to be needed, it's a bit of a hack and completely non-intuitive behaviour...
I think I'll just make it so that regular spaces aren't collapsed when displaying text in V6. It's not much work, just a small line of CSS :-P
And I should add that, since then, the update has been made to V6 : V6 no longer collapses regular spaces.
So I'd rather advise waiting until V6 is ready ;-)
ImageImageImage
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Si le savoir peut créer des problèmes, ce n'est pas l'ignorance qui les résoudra. ( Isaac Asimov )
Ferdielance

Post by Ferdielance »

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I'll leave the spaces plain for now, then.
"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"