Niiko's drawings ~

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

spookysneeze
Spoken languages: English

Niiko's drawings ~

Post by spookysneeze »

I think this is the right place to put this?
But yeah, these are some of my drawings.

I'll keep updating it as I go.
mercurialSK

Re: Niiko's drawings ~

Post by mercurialSK »

Hey. Welcome :) It's the right place yeah.

I like the concept of the first picture but it's unclear if the black mass is her shadow or maybe something like wings.

Are they your OCs?
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Ooooh I really like your drawing style. These are cool, keep up the good work!
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

spookysneeze

Post by spookysneeze »

@Mercurial - It was supposed to be shadow-y stuff, yeah, but I can see how they could get mistaken for wings now that you point it out. And yeah, they're both my OC's.

@gotMLK - Thanks! ^0^
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I don't want to be rude or ask a thousand questions, but... are you interested in criticism of your things?
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
spookysneeze

Post by spookysneeze »

Yeah, 'cause normally people point out things I hadn't noticed (Like sometimes I draw hands the wrong way lol) so it's always helpful, I guess.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Spoiler : Words and things :
Well the first pic looks like there's some storytelling there but nothing's working together and it's hard to tell what's going on... is the angle to make her look scared? The expression looks like it but the pose is weird then. She kind of looks like she's preparing to attack maybe too but then the expression is too meandering for that. Also the cropping makes it hard to tell what's happening especially with the lower body. The third pic comes across as poorly-planned and an attempt to add some background while hiding feet because the ground plane is so low.

I recommend you look into composition because that's letting your stuff down a lot. Or perspective. There's no sense of depth in any of the pictures because there's no real ground plane and the composition is kind of weak. Improving understanding of cropping, negative space and planes would make a huge difference.

Otherwise work on being more confident with your lines. The chicken scratch look isn't good and there's a lot of waste that don't contribute anything.
spookysneeze

Post by spookysneeze »

Alright, thanks! (I actually super appreciate this because when I ask for feedback from people they don't really go into much detail)

So basically.. focus on the composition n stuff?
I admit I'm kinda bad with backgrounds x-x A lot of my drawings are just characters with no background or anything, so I'm still kind of new to drawing them on a computer.

As for the line thing, yeah. I used to use the lineart tool, but then I wanted to try without it (I'm using my mouse until I get a tablet so drawing is kinda hard)
With the picture I'm drawing right now tho, I'm using both
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

spookysneeze wrote:Alright, thanks! (I actually super appreciate this because when I ask for feedback from people they don't really go into much detail)

So basically.. focus on the composition n stuff?
I admit I'm kinda bad with backgrounds x-x A lot of my drawings are just characters with no background or anything, so I'm still kind of new to drawing them on a computer.
No problem. It's nice that you're wanting to improve, that's always a good thing :)

If you want to improve on drawing people in places, or improve with backgrounds, learn perspective (how it works and how to see objects in it) first. Perspective is something that really can't be missed if you ever want to draw backgrounds that have some kind of presence.

With composition stuff, look into negative space (how to see it, then practice seeing it for a bit) and that'll help before going into composition guides. There's a Ctrl+Paint video on that here Some composition tutorials don't go into the whole storytelling component though so maybe storyboarding tutorials can help too, if you want to get into that and you're not doing like illustrations or prints or something that wouldn't need it.

If you'd rather get better at illustration or drawing people and leave backgrounds for later then it's better to focus on improving your lines. Line quality is directly proportional to an understanding of what's being drawn and there's really no way around it other than studying forms... I'm not good with it since I spent time learning how to see things and not enough time studying, so that's the limit of what I know. There are probably things out there that explain the role of lines better than I could XD Forms would be good to improve on because the shading (face, suit, hands) don't suggest an understanding of it properly.
spookysneeze wrote:As for the line thing, yeah. I used to use the lineart tool, but then I wanted to try without it (I'm using my mouse until I get a tablet so drawing is kinda hard)
With the picture I'm drawing right now tho, I'm using both
Draw on paper if it's hard on the computer, and you can always scan it in or something... be careful with the mouse not to use too many wrist movements, try using your shoulder and upper arm, otherwise you'll injure yourself. I've been there XD And I'm still recovering from some wrist strain that happened at the beginning of the year. (I drew too much with my wrist on a tablet because of shoulder problems lol, problems everywhere) Until you get the tablet it might be better to stick to traditional, or take lots of breaks.

Hopefully I don't end up putting you off drawing XD I only went into it because you seemed interested in improvement too. If you want me to not say anything any time then just say so (I get the feeling I'm kind of a thread killer around here)
spookysneeze

Post by spookysneeze »

Alright, thanks ^0^

It's fine! I'd actually prefer people giving me honest feedback on stuff, I generally don't like to turn down advice I get since someone took the time out of their day to help me improve, which is pretty cool.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I wish I could teach my old self to appreciate honesty like you XD If you post anything I'll make sure to do that then. Good luck sticking with it :)