[FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past [Chapter 4]

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

[FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past [Chapter 4]

Post by enigma »

Click to Read!

A Fate/Stay Night Fan-fiction by Enigma and Shadowsleuth
Discussion Rules
  • Don't discuss spoilers for this story nor any of the canon Fate series entries outside of spoiler tags.
  • Do keep all theories about the identities of the servants in spoiler tags.
  • Please leave thoughts and feedback as you read. If you want.
  • Don't be mean to the author(s) or anyone else. Constructive criticism is encouraged, tho. Just don't go "wow u suck gtfo." ;_;
  • Do keep discussion related in some way to the topic.
  • Do give Enigma $50 so he can buy cats off people.
  • Do have fun!
Disclaimer: Neither Enigma, nor Shadowsleuth, have played Fate/Stay Night. At least one of them has read the wiki, and I'm pretty sure both have watched Fate/Zero. Read at your own risk.
----Fate/Broken Past updates with a new chapter every week! Stay tuned!----
Last edited by enigma on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: [FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past

Post by kwando1313 »

wow u suck gtfo ;_;

On a legit note, I'll read this later. Sounds neat~

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Hold on, you can make a fan fiction of fate/stay night without reading the original material?!

Then again, I suppose I've seen stranger stuff, like an in-depth philosophical and thematical critique of a book written by a guy who didn't read it.
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
enigma

Post by enigma »

It's more Fate/Zero fanfiction with a smattering of lots of wiki research...
Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Post by Sleuth »

Should also note that this isn't based off the actual canon Fate characters, but more the Holy Grail War in general.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

SS Sleuth wrote:Should also note that this isn't based off the actual canon Fate characters, but more the Holy Grail War in general.
I'm super unsure of that. (D)
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
enigma

Post by enigma »

kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : :
the servants are all video game characters, AREN'T THEY????

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
enigma

Post by enigma »

Spoiler : Kwando :
wow rude. Making a claim like that, and not even putting up any guesses for the servants identities. I'm disappoint.

(Nah, but that's an interesting theory. Sadly, I can neither confirm nor deny.)

spoilers: everyone is princess peach
kwando1313

Post by kwando1313 »

Spoiler : :
Well, I was more thinking that because I read the description of the last servant introduced thus far, and all I can think of is Beato, so... xP

(And also because the first one sounds suspiciously like Link.)

enigma

Post by enigma »

Interesting... However, you've forgotten the real obvious choice for the mystery servant...
Spoiler : THE REAL SERVANT :
>Blonde hair done in a bun
>Elegant
>Incredibly powerful and deadly
Obviously, it's:

just kidding. maybe. don't hold me to that...
enigma

Post by enigma »

As promised, a new chapter! Enjoy.
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Re: [FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past [Chapter 2]

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Spoiler : Fate/BP spoilers :
I'm feeling a bit lazy so I'm going to utilize bullet-points.
1. So essentially I think this confirms that Saber is Link until proven otherwise. So that's nice. Could be misdirection, but I doubt it.
2. In terms of Archer, I'm still really unsure. The last bit seems to imply that she's Japanese, though that could just be what Akira wants her to call him so in the long run it doesn't mean much of anything, yet.
3. Also Akira and Rei have some connection, so that's interesting. My guess is that Akira has a crush on Rei, but we'll see.

Now in terms of critique:
1. There are a few typos, but nothing major and I could still understand what you were trying to say. The writing is solid from a technical standpoint.
2. There's a couple places where the structure of paragraphs is a bit weird- the biggest example of this is at the beginning of the chapter-
Rei poked at her breakfast. Normally, being a morning person, she would have finished by now. However, the events of the previous night had left her exhausted... A jellied mass, it somewhat resembled clear tofu or a block of pudding
I feel like the last chunk should be after "Rei poked at her breakfast." It sounds weird in its current location. Need to make sure that the ideas in paragraphs logically follow from one to the next.
3. I think it might be a good idea to actually tell people what happened during World War III. If it's going to be related to some future twist, then obviously don't. But if not, it'd give readers a good overall context for what's going on and a better feel for the current world. We're be able to see WHY weather got all screwed up- I'm expecting fallout from nuclear weaponry, but we can't be sure without you telling us. You seem to want to do worldbuilding, and that's good (and the worldbuilding you've done so far is fine), but I think a very important part of the worldbuilding is really explaining why this world is the way it is.
4. Although I get you kind of want to do a snarky narrator, but I feel like if you want to do that, you need to do it consistently. That doesn't mean you need a quip at the end of every line or anything, but having just one or two quips in several pages just makes the snarkiness distracting rather than amusing. It should be frequently present, at a minimum. It'd also be beneficial for there to be some identity to the writer that explains why he's telling the story in such a snarky way, but that isn't necessary.
5. In terms of characterization, you're doing pretty well. Rei is a solid protag- I'm not in love with her yet, but she's good. Saber... is ok. Nothing great- he's kind of entertaining at times but outside his repartee I'm not sure he's particularly well-defined as a character. Maybe fleshing him out a bit more would be a good idea? The others I still don't really know enough about to judge.
6. You're doing a good job at adding description and descriptive language into the story- I'm capable of picturing everything and really following along, so that's good.
7. One other little thing is that I'm not sure why Rei's dad would have clothing that were proper early last millennium in his closet. But hey, we don't know him so maybe he's just into that style of fashion or something.
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
enigma

Re: [FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past [Chapter 3]

Post by enigma »

Chapter 3 is up! And my response(s) to NN is(/are) below.
Spoiler : @NN :
Going to go point by point on what I can respond to, if that's okay.

1. Well, WW3 does have a reason for being vague so far. Partly because Rei doesn't actually know much about what happened, but also because of spoiler reasons and because there is another character far better suited to going in-depth.
2. Fixed the issue of the sentence order.
3. Right... I'll be more careful about using the Snarky Narrator in future.
4. Akira and Rei's relationship will be explored soon enough~
5. Hopefully in future, Saber will be more interesting. There are plans for him but, well, we'll see. We'll see.
6. Admittedly, I didn't think that detail about the old fashioned clothing through... I guess Rei's dad is a weirdo. Then again, he's also pretty old. More than likely, I'd just say he's into antiques.
7. I can neither confirm nor deny Saber's identity.
enigma

Re: [FanFiction] Fate/Broken Past [Chapter 3]

Post by enigma »

No update today. :( Sadly, exams have eaten up my writing time...