merinarasauce's art thread

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

merinarasauce
Spoken languages: English

merinarasauce's art thread

Post by merinarasauce »

Hi everyone!

Lately, I've been making sprites. A LOT of sprites. It's been getting more and more difficult to organize them on my hard drive, so I decided to upload them and put them here, a) so I can keep track of what sets I've made, and b) so I can share them with you guys! Constructive criticism is really appreciated, and you can request sprites from me as well (though they might take a while XP). Feel free to use these in your trials, but make sure to credit me (and maybe slip me a link so I can check out your stuff)!

Sprites

Finished Sets:

Phoenix "hurt" set:
Spoiler : :
ImageImage
https://imgur.com/a/s5IeL33
(Probably finished. I might add more anyway.)
(A quick warning for these next two sets: the game these are based on has themes of racism, violence, and certain adult themes. If any of these make you uncomfortable, I'd suggest against engaging with the source material. I'm simply recreating the designs shown in-game, but you are in no way obligated to view or use these sprites. Anyone who does use these sprites, please include these warnings in your trial thread. Thank you.)

Android Phoenix (Detroit: Become Human) Misc. Androids (Detroit: Become Human) Unfinished Sets:
DA Espella (Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney) Zacharias Barnham (Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney) Lucetius von Karma Extra Sprites:
Miles Edgeworth Maya Fey: Mia Fey: Elise Deauxnim (3-5 spoilers): Morgan Fey: Franziska von Karma: Dee Vasquez: Evidence
I only have one evidence gallery right now, with all of my evidence (13 images), but that may change when I start adding more. This list is by no means complete, so expect updates in the future!
Last edited by merinarasauce on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:45 am, edited 7 times in total.

Might drop off the face of the earth every now and then. Don't worry, I'm still here! I check my PMs fairly often, so feel free to get in contact with me there.
SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Re: merinarasauce's art thread

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ahh those Espella and Zach sprites are amazing!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
merinarasauce

Post by merinarasauce »

thank you so much!! i'm really glad you like them :pearlhappy: it really does mean a lot to me!

Might drop off the face of the earth every now and then. Don't worry, I'm still here! I check my PMs fairly often, so feel free to get in contact with me there.
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Oh my goodness, this is so nice to see!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout
Nicky Boy
Spoken languages: Ελληνικά, English

Post by Nicky Boy »

Agreed! I really like Espella, and everything else is great, too!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
merinarasauce

Post by merinarasauce »

Thank you guys for such a positive response!

I've updated the galleries for Barnham and Espella with one new pose each, and I've also added an animation I did for Dee Vasquez, as well as another sprite set I made recently. Thanks again, and I hope you all have a great day!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Great work on Espella and Barnham!

Phoenix's anination is also nice, however, the upper (->) arm feels incorrectly shaded. It needs less shadow on the inside and more shadow on the underside
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
merinarasauce

Post by merinarasauce »

Hi again!

Just dropping by with a quick update, I've tweaked a couple of Phoenix's poses, added a couple pieces of evidence, and did another Espella (this one just for fun, but I'm working on something big!). Thanks for the feedback, and have a great day!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Glad to have been of help!

I see not even Espella is safe from Godot... Poor her.
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Initiate
Spoken languages: English, Borginian

Post by Initiate »

I really, really love your canon edits - Elise especially you've done some awesome stuff with. Your Espella set is really well-drawn, too!
merinarasauce

Post by merinarasauce »

Hey everyone!

Thank you again so much for the positive response! It's been a bit, but I've added a couple more sprites to the top post, including two small edits for Edgeworth and Mia, as well as two more sprites for Espella. Hope you guys like them!
ImageImage
ImageImage
There's also something I forgot to mention regarding the way I make Espella and Barnham sprites, which I don't think is super important, but maybe worth mentioning anyway, so I'll put it here under the cut.
The way I make the sprites involves tracing over the models from PLvsAA. For Espella, the base only involved one tracing (where she stands up straight), and I made the other. I animated her desk slam and damage animations on my own. However, Barnham's sprites require a lot more poses, so I find myself tracing over the model significantly more. In both cases, facial animation such as blinking and talking is done entirely by me. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or anything, I just thought it was worth mentioning, since tracing in a lot of other art communities is definitely frowned upon, but since I'm so new to spriting, I don't quite have a handle on the do's and don'ts of it yet.
Anyway, I might be a little quiet for a while, since I'm a little busy with college, but I'm looking forward to sharing more sprites here in the future!

Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

merinarasauce wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:43 pmThere's also something I forgot to mention regarding the way I make Espella and Barnham sprites, which I don't think is super important, but maybe worth mentioning anyway, so I'll put it here under the cut.
The way I make the sprites involves tracing over the models from PLvsAA. For Espella, the base only involved one tracing (where she stands up straight), and I made the other. I animated her desk slam and damage animations on my own. However, Barnham's sprites require a lot more poses, so I find myself tracing over the model significantly more. In both cases, facial animation such as blinking and talking is done entirely by me. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker or anything, I just thought it was worth mentioning, since tracing in a lot of other art communities is definitely frowned upon, but since I'm so new to spriting, I don't quite have a handle on the do's and don'ts of it yet.
This isn't a deal breaker at all!

Not everyone has the ability to perfectly replicate a character (I doubt I can remake my own characters without tracing or using a bazillion reference points.)

As long as you're not tracing someone else's art without permission, you should be good to go (we're infringing several rights of Capcom, anyway, but so long there's no profit to be made... Tracing from a physical person, though, is what is frowned upon). Those traced sprites are well-made!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
merinarasauce

Post by merinarasauce »

Hey everyone!

Today, I have a bit of a sad update. My digital drawing pad (which, admittedly, is older than I am) finally broke. So I won't be making new sprites for a while. However, I do have folders upon folders full of other sprites which I haven't shown you guys yet, so I might end up giving those out (if I feel confident enough, haha!). Right now, though, I do have the two sprites I was working on just before it broke, the zoomed-out courtroom sprites for Espella and Barnham. Thanks for all your support and feedback, and have a great day!
ImageImage

Nicky Boy

Post by Nicky Boy »

Aww, that's a shame... Hope things work out!
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tiagofvarela
Spoken languages: English, Portuguese

Post by Tiagofvarela »

Agreed. Good luck with that!
A Laggy Turnabout ★
A Batty Turnabout ★
A Tricky Turnabout ★
Upcoming: A Worldly Turnabout, A Courtly Turnabout, A Clumsy Turnabout, A Needy Turnabout