Ace Attorney 2011 Soundtrack

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Phantom

Re: Ace Attorney 2011 Soundtrack

Post by Phantom »

Wow, I am impressed!

I was expecting (like a majority of Ace Attorney fan "composers" do) these tracks to be merely remixes/remakes of songs from the original AA tracks.
Color me impressed.

While I don't like the sound to a majority of tracks at all (mainly the drums, something seems off about the drum instrumentals), the fact these are original compositions is very REFRESHING to hear.

Keep it up man :)
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

Very good soundtracks ;)
TwoSixty
Spoken languages: English

Post by TwoSixty »

Oke, i'm back, sort of. :side:

Made a few new songs, made the switch to an 8-Bit synthesizer. It's much more comfortable, for some reason.

We've got an Objection theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKd-1r7o30
Now this one has more than just the 8-Bit synthesizer, this was before i made the switch to using that thing exclusively. And i do realize the mixing is terrible. I still have to sort out the EQ, volumes, etc. :P

A new Courtroom Lounge. I didn't try to improve the last Courtroom Lounge, just thought i'd do it entirely different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SLrKInbqjA

Investigation Middle game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WReL6S470hE
Investigation Core : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftKHIo_c_E

I feel like i'm making (small) improvements, but i dont know. It just feels like i'm missing something, especially in those investigation themes.

And thanks for the praise everyone. :larry:
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

I think I'll use it in most of my fangames ^^
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Too much stuff is going on for the objection music to be considered an objection (it sounds like a more slow-paced Announce the Truth imo).

Wow, courtroom lounge music seems to be your best composition so far (aside from that very awful drums still present xP), while it's a great reinterpretation of teh lounge music, something definitely seems off about it from being used as a lounge (probably because the notes play in a certain pattern, then immediately stops, then immediately plays again in a certain pattern all over).
Gumpei
Spoken languages: English, Al Bhed

Post by Gumpei »

While I still enjoy the music, you're falling into the same problem where the themes don't really sound like what they're intended to be. :P The Lounge theme sounds like a credits theme, the Middlegame sounds like a Moderato Examination theme, the Objection sounds like an Announce the Truth, and the Core sounds like a Logic theme.

Middlegame's my personal favorite.
TwoSixty

Post by TwoSixty »

Gumpei wrote:While I still enjoy the music, you're falling into the same problem where the themes don't really sound like what they're intended to be. :P The Lounge theme sounds like a credits theme, the Middlegame sounds like a Moderato Examination theme, the Objection sounds like an Announce the Truth, and the Core sounds like a Logic theme.

Middlegame's my personal favorite.
Haha, i actually don't know if should be pleased with this, or confused. You see, i originally intended for every song to be what you said it sounds like. Except for the courtroom lounge :P . But you're right, i'm having trouble deciding what is is i'm doing.

Gumpei, what would you suggest i remove from the objction theme?
Also. I'm not sure what you mean about the patterns in the courtroom ounge theme. Care to elaborate?
And yeah, tHe drums are horrible, i apologize haha. :P

Thank you guys.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

What he's saying is that the songs you intended to be, are totally sounding like something else (for example, the objection music sounds like it fits Announce the Truth better than as an objection :P).

When I mean patterns, I mean notes/melody...It sounds good, but doesn't flow well (because there's an obvious pause I keep hearing after a certain amount of notes playing, hence why I mentioned it as a "pattern" instead :P)
Broocevelt
Spoken languages: ES/FR/EN/DE

Post by Broocevelt »

When I saw you posted and there were new youtube links I put my headphones on right away xD
I really like those, except the Objection! theme which, as Phantom and Gumpei said, sounds like an Announce the Truth theme. I know precisely why it is ;)

As always I'm going to give the most precise critizising I can :)

Objection

This one looks like an Announce the Truth the theme because you are using a minor key ;)
You are in A minor, try to use A major (If you understand about music it should be easy. Make it sound "happier".) Objection themes are supposed to "boost" the player, to give them a good feeling that the character is in a good position right now.

I also recommend you to lower the strings volume or replace them by synthetized strings which are way softer, and I also recommend you to raise the basses' volume a lot. Usually raising the basses in a major keys renforces the feeling it's supposed to give ;)

Courtroom Lounge

I personally love this one, because it feels a lot like a Courtroom Lounge theme :D The choice of the instruments is perfect, it fits the supposed situation. (Also JFA instruments are my fave after AAI, so that's why I like the fact that these look a lot like them :) )

Also I don't see what Phantom means by saying that the notes stop playing after a certain moment, but maybe he's willing to explain what he means ;)

Search ~ Middlegame

I like the feeling this one gives, it's the same feeling as Middlegame 2004 but with a totally different entire song! I think you caught the AA2-3 middlegames' objective perfectly, and I don't really have to say anything bad about this one.

Core

I'll edit because I have to go right now
mAc Chaos

Post by mAc Chaos »

Middlegame is my favorite. Something seems off about Core.
The wolf knows what the ill heart thinks.
@mAcChaos

BEHOLD, the ULTIMATE CASE: MACFIA, an epic journey through time and space.
tgwed

Post by tgwed »

These are really great! Middlegame definitely is my favorite.

For some reason, I feel like your second Courtroom Lounge sounds like an Investigation theme, but maybe that's just me.

However, I have to disagree with Dan about changing Objection to A major. Both 2001 and 2007 are in minor keys (I'm pretty sure the other ones are as well :D ). Maybe you should try a faster tempo and a higher melody (or a different key) for Objection? If not, it would still make a great Announce the Truth theme! It might even make a good Court Begins theme, but you already have one.
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Very nice. I can see Core being used for a Godot game. :D
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

tgwed wrote:However, I have to disagree with Dan about changing Objection to A major. Both 2001 and 2007 are in minor keys (I'm pretty sure the other ones are as well :D ). Maybe you should try a faster tempo and a higher melody (or a different key) for Objection? If not, it would still make a great Announce the Truth theme! It might even make a good Court Begins theme, but you already have one.
Indeed, 2001 and 2007 are in a minor key, but the melody they have fits the Objection theme ;) Furthermore, I think that the only major Objection themes are 2009 and 2011. But If y Sixty doesn't want to alter too much the melody itself, he should go for a major key instead of changing the whole Objection theme :)
TwoSixty

Post by TwoSixty »

@Dan I had no idea what you were talking about, regarding those major and minor A keys, but i did some studying and i understand now it, thanks. Now i think i'm really getting somewhere, thanks again! :mrgreen:
I think it's amazing you knew what key it is in just by hearing the song, because even i didn't know back then. :lol:

1 Question though, just to make sure i understand: For example, let's say i decide to write a song in the major A key. This basically means i just decided which set of notes i'm going to use in the song, right?

@tgwed Not sure what i'm gonna do with the objection theme, we'll see what happens. :P

@Phantom I know what you mean with "patterns", Fruity Loops works with those patterns. But i don't understand where that pause is exactly. Could you tell me at what time in the song that pause occures?
Broocevelt

Post by Broocevelt »

You decided the set of notes you will use mainly for the song ;)
Of course, you can have little variations and use notes that aren't supposed to be in the key, and you can even change keys if you feel like it. Key changes is something you can use a lot in CE themes ;)

For example, you can go from B minor to B# minor in a CE theme to create tension, just like in my Logic Re-enactment tracks.