How do I animate a character's lips?

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Zombie
Spoken languages: English, My written french is horrible.

How do I animate a character's lips?

Post by Zombie »

I'm having a small problem trying to get my custom sprite to actually move his mouth up and down instead of just opening it up the entire sentence and then closing. I'm assuming you have to be using a gif for the talking but I want to make sure.

and if so, can anyone tell me the best place to make gifs for custom sprites?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Meph
Spoken languages: English

Re: How do I animate a character's lips?

Post by Meph »

Hi! Welcome to the forums. :)

You need to use an image editing app like GIMP. That's the only GIF animator I can think of that's free, but other people can probably recommend better ones.

Moved to Art Questions.
Dypo deLina
Spoken languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Al Bhed

Post by Dypo deLina »

Meph wrote:Hi! Welcome to the forums. :)

You need to use an image editing app like GIMP. That's the only GIF animator I can think of that's free, but other people can probably recommend better ones.

Moved to Art Questions.
GIMP is an excellent program for both editing and animating. However, if you don't wish to or lack the time to edit sprites, or merely wish to animate a sprite for which a sheet already exists, Easy Gif Animator or Unfreeze would be the logical alternatives.

I can't claim I'm familiar with the above two programs though, so you're better off asking someone else about that.

If you decide to use GIMP though, there are a couple of tutorials you could refer to, there's mine, which is unfinished and only really elaborates on the editing, Hikari's (a much better choice in my opinion, though it only elaborates on mouth poses), and last but not least, Nudal's (which details the process using Photoshop, although it can be used as reference in order to do it with GIMP as well).

As another alternative, a new topic just popped up, in which you can request animations as you see fit. :)
チラセ・マギタ
~Married to Evolina deLuna~ <3
~Loving father to ZetaAzuel~

Proud creator of Cynder Janice, Rex Gladiorum, and Raimpius in Endless Time.

Image Image
Zombie
Spoken languages: English, My written french is horrible.

Post by Zombie »

Well I was able to solve my problems by using a gif for the talking instead of the mouth just opening xD.