Dataman's Artie Threadie

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Dataman's Artie Threadie

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Welcome to the Dataman’s Artie Threadie!
Spoiler : Update history :
~27. 12. 2012 really huge update, Turnabout Nation’s sprites.
OC Sprites:

Spoiler : Markin Orla-Gallard :
ImageImage
ImageImage
Spoiler : Marck Hack :
Spoiler : Alier To :
ImageImage
Made for Routheboy1213:
Spoiler : Man White :
Normal:
Image Image

Charm/Recover:
Image Image

Nervous (Before recover):
ImageImageImage

Breakdown:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Re-connect:
ImageImageImage

Normal2:
ImageImage

Charm2:
ImageImage

Breakdown 2:
ImageImage
Spoiler : Roy Escobar :
ImageImage

Deskslam:
ImageImage
Pointing:
ImageImage
Shock:
Spoiler : Detective Rachel :

Sad:
ImageImage
Charming:
ImageImage
Council:
ImageImage
Spoiler : Thomas Malvrick :

Normal:

Deskslam:

ImageImage

Cool:

Thinking:

Pointing:
ImageImage

Shock:
Spoiler : Daryan Dless :
ImageImage
Spoiler : Harry "Hanger" Stanton :
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Spoiler : Garcie Forest :
Normal (sad):
ImageImage
Slightly shocked:
ImageImage
Shady/Falling apart:
ImageImage
Broken:
ImageImage
Happy and cheerful:
ImageImage
Spoiler : Yumi :
Normal/Formal:
ImageImage
Happy:
ImageImage
Proud:
ImageImage
Angry:
ImageImage
Sad:
ImageImage

Edited Sprites:
Spoiler : Judge :
Breaking down, breaking down, breaking breaking down!
Spoiler : Polly :
ImageImage
Spoiler : Klavier :
Spoiler : Apollo :
Spoiler : Rhoda Teneiro :
Normal (frontwiew):
ImageImage
Made for RudyRamirez:
Spoiler : Ema Skye :
Side glare - PW style:
ImageImage

Dress:
Normal:
ImageImage

Big Smile:
ImageImage

Thinking:
ImageImage

Sad:
ImageImage

Upset:
ImageImage

Kiss-me-already:
ImageImage
Spoiler : Wellington recolour :
ImageImage
Spoiler : Winston Payne :
Spoiler : Younger Luke Atmey :
ImageImage

Evidence:
Spoiler : :
Image Image

Other artwork:
Spoiler : Logic Chess units :
Soldier:

Sheet:
---
---
---
---
Made with pencil. :D

Game banners:

Music:
Please note! If you want to use the custom ones, ask first!
Covers:

Ace Attorney:
Blue Badger ~ I Want To Defend!
JBlue Badger ~ I Want To Defend! (piano)
Phoenix Wright ~ Investigation-Cornered (piano)

Trials and Tribulations:
Godot ~ Fragrance of Dark Coffee

Apollo Justice:
Apollo Justice ~ Objection!
Apollo Justice ~ Objection!
Kitaki family theme

Gyakuten Kenji:
Cammy Meele ~ Good Niiight
Cammy Meele ~ Good Niiight (piano)

Gyakuten Kenji 2:
Villain ~ The Man Who Masterminds The Game

Customs:
Theme songs:
Blueflower ~ Icy Flower
Velorto ~ The Anthem

AA customizations:
Custom ~ Bad Badger

Reminiscenses:
Reminiscense - Dark Past

Not compared to AA:
Ievan Polkka

As the title says, I merrily accept requests. :)
However, I reserve a right to refuse a whole job or a part in case I want to.

If you want to use some of artwork in this page, PM me first and ask for it. :nod:
Last edited by ~Dataman~ on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 57 times in total.
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Koda
Spoken languages: English

Re: Dataman's Art

Post by Koda »

I stopped at that Juudas guy...
Umm... I'm not too sure what to say... :?

The concept is okay, I guess, but man, that execution... that doesn't even remotely resemble a sprite, so I have no clue why that's in the sprite category...

First of all, the anatomy... why is his head an upside down triangle? Is it part of his character to only have 3 teeth? Just a tip, for mouth animations, it doesn't go closed -> open -> wide open -> open -> closed, it should go closed -> wide open -> open -> wide open -> closed.

As well, many people might know about my strong dislike for brushed sprites, i.e., sprites with WAY too many colours (you should try and limit yourself, if you want your sprite to look in the AA style), and I checked yours... it has 263... That's just WAY too many...
Keep working at it, and you'll improve with time. :)
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Spoiler : Answers :
Not good if you stopped at Juudas, because he's first one in the page. :| This character is my first one, and I admit it needs much work. It's made from scratch, wat maybe explains something too. I don't think you can just say he doesn't even look like sprite, you must have evidence or even theory to backup your claim!
I know anatomy is not my best ability :mrgreen:, but I will try my best. Can you give me any specific instructions to upgrade it?

I hope you check my other works too.
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Koda

Post by Koda »

~Dataman~ wrote:
Not good if you stopped at Juudas, because he's first one in the page. :|
Well, maybe you shouldn't have that guy first :?
This character is my first one, and I admit it needs much work. It's made from scratch, wat maybe explains something too.
Saying it's from scratch is not a valid excuse, many fantastic spriters make their work from scratch. I'm not that great, but I usually scratch, and I think my sprites end up alright...
I don't think you can just say he doesn't even look like sprite, you must have evidence or even theory to backup your claim!
1) The amount of colours
2) The anatomy
3) In a completely different style
4) Doesn't follow ordinary sprite conventions, such as a clear outline, or not using black

I know anatomy is not my best ability :mrgreen:, but I will try my best. Can you give me any specific instructions to upgrade it?
Honestly, I'm pretty bad with anatomy too XD maybe you can just look, and read some lessons online?
I hope you check my other works too.
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Koda wrote:
Not good if you stopped at Juudas, because he's first one in the page. :|
Well, maybe you shouldn't have that guy first :?
Well, I didn't think it's so bad. :(
Saying it's from scratch is not a valid excuse, many fantastic spriters make their work from scratch. I'm not that great, but I usually scratch, and I think my sprites end up alright...
I'm not fantastic spriter. I checked your sprites, and (don't take this as an insult) they were quite simple everyone. I wanted to make cool-looking sprite, and it ended up being complicated.
1) The amount of colours
2) The anatomy
3) In a completely different style
4) Doesn't follow ordinary sprite conventions, such as a clear outline, or not using black

Colours... Can you check how many different colours are in Wocky Kitaki or Lang? My character's coloring is quite simple, except his hair and crosses. :wink:
I have seen very different-looking heads, even on shoulders of real people.
You can't possibly say anything like "different style"... Ace Attorney has character like Jean Armstrong, Machi Tobaye and Damon Gant; and they all have different style.
You are right about the outline. I haven't yet invented how to make it clear without making whole sprite look awful. :(
Honestly, I'm pretty bad with anatomy too XD maybe you can just look, and read some lessons online?
I have tried, and failed. Wise man said once: "Experiment is the best teacher." :D

My Art Thread
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Wow no your colors are nothing like simple, they use gradients. \o/
AA sprites use 2 to 3 visible shades, never gradients, it's ugly anyway.
ImageImage Image Image Image
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

I'm going to fix it... maybe tomorrow.

My Art Thread
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

I don't really mind doing sprites with a style that's not AAish. After all, we're doing our own intrepetations of AA, not clones. As for my advice... looks like the sprites were done with a 3D program. I'm not a 3D expert but I think you should use a lot more polygons since you don't have to worry about lagging when it comes to sprites. You could also use 3D sculpting programs like ZBrush.

I'm all for alternative styles. Who cares about some colours if he clearly isn't even aiming for that style? :)
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

Because gradients are ugly. °–°
ImageImage Image Image Image
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Singidava wrote:I don't really mind doing sprites with a style that's not AAish. After all, we're doing our own intrepetations of AA, not clones. As for my advice... looks like the sprites were done with a 3D program. I'm not a 3D expert but I think you should use a lot more polygons since you don't have to worry about lagging when it comes to sprites. You could also use 3D sculpting programs like ZBrush.

I'm all for alternative styles. Who cares about some colours if he clearly isn't even aiming for that style? :)
Kroki wrote:Because gradients are ugly. °–°
Looks like I have got crossing comments. :)
Anyway, here is example of less-colored sprite, without ugly gradients:
Edit: And original picture with no 3D or gradients:

My Art Thread
Koda

Post by Koda »

That's already an improvement. Also, there's nothing BAD with a different style, but you were using that in an Ace Attorney style... it just clashed way too much.
~Dataman~ wrote:I'm not fantastic spriter. I checked your sprites, and (don't take this as an insult) they were quite simple everyone. I wanted to make cool-looking sprite, and it ended up being complicated.
I agree, that my sprites aren't very detailed :S But, uh, I don't see anything very complex with your sprite ^^'

Anyway, if you can convert that original picture into a sprite and add shading, it would already be way better, though that head is REALLY misshapen.
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Anything to please you. I'm still quite new here and in need of advice.
I will go on with other sprites and other trial so you can see what I have done.

But what did you thought about my other artworks?

My Art Thread
Aer

Post by Aer »

Dataman, even I don't really SCRATCH scratch sprite, so its good to have references; and you can use references and still scratch sprite. If you're using a program that has layering, you can trace official sprites for some basic guidelines for outlines. For doing attorneys at the bench, the perspective is set at a sideways lower angle, so you're kind of looking up into their nostrils, but can only see one eye.
With the level you're at right now, I think you need to work on anatomy in general. Once you've got that down, you can get to the style of the art of Ace Attorney, and eventually work to the shading style as well.
If you want some suggestions and tips or whatever, lemme know.
Keep working on your artwork!
--
I like to scratch sprite. Feel free to ask if you need anything :3
Not very experienced at backgrounds, action shots, nor evidence, but I'd love to try.
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Aer wrote:Dataman, even I don't really SCRATCH scratch sprite, so its good to have references; and you can use references and still scratch sprite. If you're using a program that has layering, you can trace official sprites for some basic guidelines for outlines. For doing attorneys at the bench, the perspective is set at a sideways lower angle, so you're kind of looking up into their nostrils, but can only see one eye.
With the level you're at right now, I think you need to work on anatomy in general. Once you've got that down, you can get to the style of the art of Ace Attorney, and eventually work to the shading style as well.
If you want some suggestions and tips or whatever, lemme know.
Keep working on your artwork!
When I started making this sprite, I looked all around for sprites I could have used as reference, but nothing was found... So I copied one Edgeworth-sprite to get it right lenght, and started making sprites.
I will try to make better anatomy, only problem is that I'm not taught this in art-school I have been for many years. :tigre: If you let me say, I'm better in shading than anything else.
Actually, I would like to have that 'whatever'. :)

PS. There is new picture.

My Art Thread
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

I added much stuff to topic. Go and check them. :)

My Art Thread