StuDeeYo (Requests Closed)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Re: DeeYo's Art Thread (Requests Open)

Post by ~Dataman~ »

For some reason, I think of Death Eaters riding black horses while listening to this. :D
Pure awesomeness!
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

Putin wrote:Ah I see, can you provide a MIDI file (with separate channels for the various notes) of the composition then? I think I can fix the issue with why it sounds too MIDI-ish if you give me the opportunity to check it out ;)
Here it is. (I figured there is no reason to private chat it.) (Also the reason it sounds cut off at the end is because I planned it to loop.)
~Dataman~ wrote:For some reason, I think of Death Eaters riding black horses while listening to this. :D
Pure awesomeness!
Thanks, Dataman! :D

Total times sued: 10328
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Here's the potential your song can sound like without sounding too MIDI-ish:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/806 ... /deeyo.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/806 ... deeyo2.mp3

The things I added made the song sound like it was lacking alot of things (It was a hack job done in 5 minutes, and your drum channel was KILLING me hahahahaha). They can always be fixed later, but surely you see the *massive* difference in terms of instrumentation. Makes the composition sound really great :)

(Also I didn't bother trying to make it as AA sounding as possible, that would take more time to do properly)
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

Thanks Putin for your comments and that you took the time to revise my track! although I don't really like synths that muchalso the drum track WAS designed to kill people
I also have no idea why it sounded MIDI-ish in the first instrumentalization, but whatever #terribletasteinmusic
It's good to hear someone's opinion who's keen on the technical aspects of composing and who has a more decent soundfont than me.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Oh the synths were just there to differentiate the channels. To be fair, it was difficult to figure out if something in your song was supposed to mimic a real instrument or an electronic instrument :X

I assumed this entire time you were just using MIDI instrumentations, not an actual soundfont, so whoops xP

Also I wouldn't call the soundfonts I have decent...I was relying more on effects manipulation than I was with any soundfont.

Next time, try adding some reverb to the entire master track, it'll at least lessen the hearing of your song being perceived as MIDI-ish.

But the point of the "revision" was just to show you that you need to get more out of the sound itself, that's all.
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

But I can't add reverb...none of the programs I use can do that. or they can, but I haven't figured out how. I'll have to ask Dan

~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Putin wrote:Here's the potential your song can sound like without sounding too MIDI-ish:

The things I added made the song sound like it was lacking alot of things (It was a hack job done in 5 minutes, and your drum channel was KILLING me hahahahaha). They can always be fixed later, but surely you see the *massive* difference in terms of instrumentation. Makes the composition sound really great :)

(Also I didn't bother trying to make it as AA sounding as possible, that would take more time to do properly)
I see what you were trying to do here, but...
I prefer the original. Reasoning:

Track 2: This has too much eerie in it. The main melody sounds blurred, and that's a shame. Also, the original was more intense, and made me better feeling.

Track 1: Mainly same problems, but in bigger scale. The piano isn't used as it was in the original song, and that wwhhhheeeeeeeee-sound makes me think of Pokèmon, what's no good.
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

The reason you prefer the original is probably because I wrote the song specifically for those instruments. Had I used these soundfonts instead, I'd probably have changed some things in the composition to fit them.

~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

True... but it doesn't change my opinions. :mrgreen:

My Art Thread
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

~Dataman~ wrote:
Putin wrote:Here's the potential your song can sound like without sounding too MIDI-ish:

I see what you were trying to do here, but...
I prefer the original. Reasoning:

Track 2: This has too much eerie in it. The main melody sounds blurred, and that's a shame. Also, the original was more intense, and made me better feeling.

Track 1: Mainly same problems, but in bigger scale. The piano isn't used as it was in the original song, and that wwhhhheeeeeeeee-sound makes me think of Pokèmon, what's no good.
You've missed the entire point of what I was trying to explain to Deeyo in a way that could be demonstrated instead of just words. It wasn't about making the song better that I saw fit. It was about trying to get rid of the composition of the MIDI-sounding aspects of the composition, since it doesn't sound like a real track: (The guitar, the sax, the piano, even the synth used sounds like it's just a MIDI instrument instead of coming from a soundfont...You can't deny this. That means low-quality instruments which hurts the composition in the long-run.)
The versions I came up with sounds like an actual track that just needs a bunch of tweaking and balance.
Also, I didn't use the exact same instruments on some of the channels that DeeYo used, since I didn't bother cross-referencing his track when I was trying to get the 2 examples done in the 5 minutes I was rushing to get done.

Also, everything you described in Track2/1 I can say the same thing about the original :lol:. I already acknowledged the ones I posted had blatant problems with them that made them sound like they it was lacking. But like I said earlier, that point is moot since I wasn't trying to make my own real version of the work. Just demonstrating the clear difference of why his sounds too MIDI-ish.

@DeeYo, keep up the good work, but definitely look into finding out how to do reverb (it's usually called Release for a specific MIDI channel). If you don't have any good soundfonts, that's okay, you can cover up the "issue" you have in the original with this particular effect. That's how a couple of prominent game systems like the NES/Sega Genesis made the music sound really great with their limited channel soundchips.
~Dataman~

Post by ~Dataman~ »

Ah, I see. But I have one more question: Why is it bad to sound midish? Is this musical racism of some sort?

My Art Thread
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

It is bad to sound MIDI-ish because you don't feel depth in the song. and because Putin is a musical racist

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Not only because you don't feel depth in a song (hence why it never has any real intensity), but from a producer's standpoint, it sounds completely fake. You couldn't even call that proper VGM music, or even a pop song. Oh and music is not a race so there can be no such thing as being a music racist...Unless you're racist to some ethnic musician :P

That's not to say songs with MIDI instruments are bad as a *reference guide* to get an idea of how it should sound, but to call them in itself a proper track is really outrageous.

Dan had similar issues with a bunch of his tracks he's made because of the exact same reason. His latest ones got really better though in terms of sound direction/design.

Btw, If you come out with more stuff like the last one Deeyo, I actually might be tempted to share some soundfonts (AA music data) with you so you can get the compositions you make to their full potential :)
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

Good news: I've found the reverb! Bad news: I can't use it properly, but you'll see that I found it.

Even better news: (depends on who you ask; for some it may be an ear-splitting nightmare) This.
(I'm planning to use that in a case.)
Notes:
1. I have no idea if the clavinet fits into the song or not. Opinions please. (The clavinet is the instrument that sounds like a clavinet.)
2. You can hear the reverb at the end of the song. (Also maybe some other places, but I fail at perceiving these kinds of things.)

Esrom
Spoken languages: English

Post by Esrom »

DeeYo wrote:Legal double post! (not really, I just didn't want to edit my previous post.)
New songs!Everyone: Nobody cares!
Investigation (?) ~ Into the Eerie

<insert name here>
I like the first one. It conveys a sense of urgency, of a character who insists that you get right to the point, or of 'We've got a job to do here, so let's get to doing it'.

The second one sounds like the soundtrack to some small cafe or bar where there's live entertainment.