StuDeeYo (Requests Closed)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Sleuth
Spoken languages: English

Re: StuDeeYo (Requests Closed)

Post by Sleuth »

DeeYo wrote:
SS Sleuth wrote:Oh dang, these are pretty cool!

Out of curiosity, which one of these are your favorites?
Isis' and Teruko's themes. Also Unas if we don't take the entire instrumentalization and the execution into account and just focus on the notes and "content".

...Since Isis' theme is one of my favorites, that means that yours is also a semi-favorite by proxy, since the two share Leitmotifs. Rejoice.

I'd like to ask you the same question.
Haha, I'll take that as a compliment.

I am really digging Teruko's theme a lot, and out of sheer narcissism I like my own a good deal too. The Jaws riff is great, and I did catch the Leitmotif in there, which I liked! I think those collectively are my favorites.
spd12

Post by spd12 »

Thanks for sharing this. I knew that someone wanted to use my character in 0.2 and some others in some fighting game project thing, which I signed off on (Heath was to be an assist character for Higami). I didn't know you were on board to compose an OST for that project! Fanart of characters happen all the time, but musical themes? Neat! I've given them all a listen.

The most recurring issue I'd consider off the top of my head is that, as a fighting game, the action starts to happen very fast. A lot of themes take a while to really warm up. To be fair, I think I'd have needed to know the intended flow/length of fights in the game's system to really say what an optimal length is for 'getting to the point' as it were. This statement will crop up a lot in my thoughts so I'll truncate instances of that from here on out.

I don't know all the characters or personalities of the poster-based roster picks to a fine detail. Many subtle injokes or nods to certain media I don't interact with (visual novels, etc) I don't think I would pick up on.
Spoiler : The reviews! Every track, all in order except one. :
The sorta jazzy motif for the Main Menu might've made for a pretty decent fighter theme. I kind of get the feel of a nightclub or something of the sort. I love the part that begins at 0:51, though I'm not as sold on the transition to that part. I'm not sure how well it would've stood up as an actual menu theme, but I still like it as a stand-alone theme independent of intended context.

The character select theme also works as a short ditty to get the players pumped into action. You hit the target here, and style-wise it does feel consistent with the main theme by my meager understanding of musical genres, instrument names, or what have you. I'd look into reusing this one again in some context if you can.

The tutorial mode is very relaxed, and the bird noises do make me wonder if this was intended to be a Ferdielance-related thing. The singing voices feel like they don't really fit here, like they're a runaway set of voices desperately seeking a climactic battle theme but are trapped in the company of peaceful chirping birds. As a tutorial theme I could see this being passable as the basic training room stage music too.

The Generic Arena has a great introduction part, but after :30 or so it feels like it runs on empty for the rest of the track. It seems unfinished, but the basic idea of what you have here has a lot of potential.

GiGi's theme is very good. It gets kicking at the right time, and the melody is easy for me to follow although it seems a bit mellow for my mental image of the Justice Riders. The more subdued nature is really the only thing that works against this in my eyes (ears).

Having played one of the cases he appears in, I really like the more dangerous atmosphere that this theme puts forth. I do get a very good sense of a danger that's hard to pin down - you know this guy is bad, you know he probably did it, how? It is conveyed well in spite of the instrumentation and composition that often feel discordant and a bit harsh and jumpy.

Michio's opening is very strange, suggesting he's off-kilter when he was one of the more emotionally stable characters of 0.1, though the slow opening may suggest something of a quieter strength he has (this part I liked the most). When the theme gets going (it is very slow to start), its tone feels like it jumps around everywhere, further away and sometimes suggesting to me an undercurrent of fear and uncontrollable circumstance into the unknown. It might be sort of true to a paranormal investigator on the surface, but I don't know if it encompasses him well.

I do not know of Cal DeCurrens at all, but the theme kind of makes me think of the far east a lot. This is one of the tunes where I think you get the pace and energy of a typical fighting game stage theme about right. I wish I could say more about this. Maybe it's not the deepest melody of the lot, but it works just fine for me - it's very listenable.

Isis has an amazing theme. It does sound like someone remixed a trainer battle theme from one of the games, kind of reminds me of the DS era. You captured the spirit of that very well! It's energetic and upbeat, which admittedly Isis herself as a character doesn't quite come off as - but it matches the environment she comes from. Composition-wise this is great stuff, moving quickly with confidence and feeling very 'Pokemon but not quite.' It has my vote as one of the best of your efforts. (Dinner is serving... you.)

Ryuuma has that borderline problem with slow, but I love the transition from quiet and introspective to utterly chaotic in 0:15 - I think you manage this change in moods a lot better here than you do with Michio. I remember Ryuuma having a severe lack of control of the situation in spite of the expected tropes of a master chess player, how the melody moves towards suggesting he's about to have control but then the bass just creeps up and throws it all back into chaos. This is a keeper to me, just a step below Isis.

Alnar's theme comes off to me more as an amazing platforming level theme for a great open plain, but it has that undercurrent of whimsical behavior underneath it which has a very sinister transition into something that suggests a lot more to whatever's going on... but I'm not sure if both halves really come together. The first half I rather like a lot, though.

Got's theme is definitely more in line with how I would've seen a JR level theme, which may well be why he gets this one. It's very bold, actiony, charging head-first into danger in order to go save the day! How that lines up with Got the person, can't say, but I'd say he made off with one of the better themes. It gets to the point, the melody evolves in ways I find enjoyable, and I wouldn't mind listening to this on repeat if I were in the Justice Riders game myself. This is certified a fine fighting game theme.

GuardianDreamer got probably the best initial set of notes, but then it doesn't seem like it can decide if it wants to be an early FF or Pokemon-style battle theme. I'd say it hits the intensity of the genre's action just right. Maybe some of it really could've escaped into an optimistic Fire Emblem battle theme that suggests a level of cautious introspection about the scenario around them. It's still a good all-around theme.

Sleuth's Jaws theme opening as a reference to their love of sharks is pretty nice, though the intro is very slow and doesn't get going until way too long. The guitar arrangement on top of the sinister jaws notes kind of paints them in an oddly villainous light which I don't know necessarily fits them well. It is pretty catchy as its own thing and the loop gets back into the actual music mercifully quickly so I don't have to sit through the empty sounding bass for too long.

For Blackrune, I'd have gotten to the organs right from the word 'go.' Things admittedly feel like they almost fall apart around :30 with the weak transition. While they don't always come together well, the guitar and organ combination does suggest this man is trouble on some level! It casts an air of some sort of dusty, evil place of unfathomable consequence, even mysterious but not standing to linger around and search for clues... but to get acting. It's uneven, but not bad.

kwando got a more subdued and elegant theme that stands as very different from most of the cast. I feel the melody definitely takes a dive around :53, somehow I don't feel the trumpets bring the whole thing together that well, but the rest of it is pretty good even though it is rather mellow. Given their favorite genres, I would argue that for the most part you hit the mark and this stands out as something listenable although I'm on the fence about it as a fighting game theme.

DWaM's depiction as being all about the grim, darkest depths of everything lends itself well to the very slow build-up, I'd say this is an instance where this works. Once it kicks in, you get the idea that nothing good is going to come out of this. It's very characterful. The lyrics are hilarious and somehow manage to simultaneously ruin and solidify the theme. It's not as intense as what Blackrune has, but it feels more even overall despite the voice bits not completely feeling in step with the rest of it.

Higami has that slow start problem, but it picks up to something stand-out at :32. I like the choice of instrumentation a lot. The discordant composition, how just almost everything feels off by one note here and there, leading to that quiet introspective part with the piano matches his crazy personality very well. The rapid pace suggests he is in pursuit of something or another, imagined or otherwise. All suspicious and strange, befitting of his character personality and role in his game's story. It's a good fit.

Was Unas intended to be the final boss? Tone-wise it's very hard to see this as that. The beginning makes it feel like more of a bonus stage theme, then it continues on to a melody that doesn't catch to me much up until about 1:16 or so where I can feel an upturn of something menacing. This one feels like the biggest miss of the lot, but it probably would work well as an early level theme in a different game genre.

I like the first jingle, the way the typical failure jingle trails off as though it were to fall off a cliff into oblivion. The got/GiGi jingle doesn't feel as distinctive in turn, sadly.

Saving Teruko for last - seeing Sleuth and yourself say they're favorites that made me feel like maybe I should be saving it for last - this one is an incredible finale for listening to the OST. I think it hits the pacing for a fighting game BGM just right, and the choice of instrumentation and tempo changes lend to the idea of strange swings in tone and making it kind of hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on with them. It's exactly appropriate to her character. I'd love to go into more detail here, but it is very significant spoilers for a game still going.

In short, your top three are, if I had to really pick... Isis, Teruko, and Got. Ryuuma and GD come very close. A lot of these are nice, so it is hard.
If I were a part of the project beyond simply saying 'okay, sure, you can use my characters,' I'd have been incredibly honored to know you were willing to go this far to compose this many themes for every character! I'm not sure of the order in which you created every theme, but if you say you're better now, I ought to be checking in on your stuff more.

Thanks again for sharing a peek at this.
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

spd12 wrote:Thanks for sharing this. I knew that someone wanted to use my character in 0.2 and some others in some fighting game project thing, which I signed off on (Heath was to be an assist character for Higami). I didn't know you were on board to compose an OST for that project! Fanart of characters happen all the time, but musical themes? Neat! I've given them all a listen.

The most recurring issue I'd consider off the top of my head is that, as a fighting game, the action starts to happen very fast. A lot of themes take a while to really warm up. To be fair, I think I'd have needed to know the intended flow/length of fights in the game's system to really say what an optimal length is for 'getting to the point' as it were. This statement will crop up a lot in my thoughts so I'll truncate instances of that from here on out.

I don't know all the characters or personalities of the poster-based roster picks to a fine detail. Many subtle injokes or nods to certain media I don't interact with (visual novels, etc) I don't think I would pick up on.
Spoiler : The reviews! Every track, all in order except one. :
The sorta jazzy motif for the Main Menu might've made for a pretty decent fighter theme. I kind of get the feel of a nightclub or something of the sort. I love the part that begins at 0:51, though I'm not as sold on the transition to that part. I'm not sure how well it would've stood up as an actual menu theme, but I still like it as a stand-alone theme independent of intended context.

The character select theme also works as a short ditty to get the players pumped into action. You hit the target here, and style-wise it does feel consistent with the main theme by my meager understanding of musical genres, instrument names, or what have you. I'd look into reusing this one again in some context if you can.

The tutorial mode is very relaxed, and the bird noises do make me wonder if this was intended to be a Ferdielance-related thing. The singing voices feel like they don't really fit here, like they're a runaway set of voices desperately seeking a climactic battle theme but are trapped in the company of peaceful chirping birds. As a tutorial theme I could see this being passable as the basic training room stage music too.

The Generic Arena has a great introduction part, but after :30 or so it feels like it runs on empty for the rest of the track. It seems unfinished, but the basic idea of what you have here has a lot of potential.

GiGi's theme is very good. It gets kicking at the right time, and the melody is easy for me to follow although it seems a bit mellow for my mental image of the Justice Riders. The more subdued nature is really the only thing that works against this in my eyes (ears).

Having played one of the cases he appears in, I really like the more dangerous atmosphere that this theme puts forth. I do get a very good sense of a danger that's hard to pin down - you know this guy is bad, you know he probably did it, how? It is conveyed well in spite of the instrumentation and composition that often feel discordant and a bit harsh and jumpy.

Michio's opening is very strange, suggesting he's off-kilter when he was one of the more emotionally stable characters of 0.1, though the slow opening may suggest something of a quieter strength he has (this part I liked the most). When the theme gets going (it is very slow to start), its tone feels like it jumps around everywhere, further away and sometimes suggesting to me an undercurrent of fear and uncontrollable circumstance into the unknown. It might be sort of true to a paranormal investigator on the surface, but I don't know if it encompasses him well.

I do not know of Cal DeCurrens at all, but the theme kind of makes me think of the far east a lot. This is one of the tunes where I think you get the pace and energy of a typical fighting game stage theme about right. I wish I could say more about this. Maybe it's not the deepest melody of the lot, but it works just fine for me - it's very listenable.

Isis has an amazing theme. It does sound like someone remixed a trainer battle theme from one of the games, kind of reminds me of the DS era. You captured the spirit of that very well! It's energetic and upbeat, which admittedly Isis herself as a character doesn't quite come off as - but it matches the environment she comes from. Composition-wise this is great stuff, moving quickly with confidence and feeling very 'Pokemon but not quite.' It has my vote as one of the best of your efforts. (Dinner is serving... you.)

Ryuuma has that borderline problem with slow, but I love the transition from quiet and introspective to utterly chaotic in 0:15 - I think you manage this change in moods a lot better here than you do with Michio. I remember Ryuuma having a severe lack of control of the situation in spite of the expected tropes of a master chess player, how the melody moves towards suggesting he's about to have control but then the bass just creeps up and throws it all back into chaos. This is a keeper to me, just a step below Isis.

Alnar's theme comes off to me more as an amazing platforming level theme for a great open plain, but it has that undercurrent of whimsical behavior underneath it which has a very sinister transition into something that suggests a lot more to whatever's going on... but I'm not sure if both halves really come together. The first half I rather like a lot, though.

Got's theme is definitely more in line with how I would've seen a JR level theme, which may well be why he gets this one. It's very bold, actiony, charging head-first into danger in order to go save the day! How that lines up with Got the person, can't say, but I'd say he made off with one of the better themes. It gets to the point, the melody evolves in ways I find enjoyable, and I wouldn't mind listening to this on repeat if I were in the Justice Riders game myself. This is certified a fine fighting game theme.

GuardianDreamer got probably the best initial set of notes, but then it doesn't seem like it can decide if it wants to be an early FF or Pokemon-style battle theme. I'd say it hits the intensity of the genre's action just right. Maybe some of it really could've escaped into an optimistic Fire Emblem battle theme that suggests a level of cautious introspection about the scenario around them. It's still a good all-around theme.

Sleuth's Jaws theme opening as a reference to their love of sharks is pretty nice, though the intro is very slow and doesn't get going until way too long. The guitar arrangement on top of the sinister jaws notes kind of paints them in an oddly villainous light which I don't know necessarily fits them well. It is pretty catchy as its own thing and the loop gets back into the actual music mercifully quickly so I don't have to sit through the empty sounding bass for too long.

For Blackrune, I'd have gotten to the organs right from the word 'go.' Things admittedly feel like they almost fall apart around :30 with the weak transition. While they don't always come together well, the guitar and organ combination does suggest this man is trouble on some level! It casts an air of some sort of dusty, evil place of unfathomable consequence, even mysterious but not standing to linger around and search for clues... but to get acting. It's uneven, but not bad.

kwando got a more subdued and elegant theme that stands as very different from most of the cast. I feel the melody definitely takes a dive around :53, somehow I don't feel the trumpets bring the whole thing together that well, but the rest of it is pretty good even though it is rather mellow. Given their favorite genres, I would argue that for the most part you hit the mark and this stands out as something listenable although I'm on the fence about it as a fighting game theme.

DWaM's depiction as being all about the grim, darkest depths of everything lends itself well to the very slow build-up, I'd say this is an instance where this works. Once it kicks in, you get the idea that nothing good is going to come out of this. It's very characterful. The lyrics are hilarious and somehow manage to simultaneously ruin and solidify the theme. It's not as intense as what Blackrune has, but it feels more even overall despite the voice bits not completely feeling in step with the rest of it.

Higami has that slow start problem, but it picks up to something stand-out at :32. I like the choice of instrumentation a lot. The discordant composition, how just almost everything feels off by one note here and there, leading to that quiet introspective part with the piano matches his crazy personality very well. The rapid pace suggests he is in pursuit of something or another, imagined or otherwise. All suspicious and strange, befitting of his character personality and role in his game's story. It's a good fit.

Was Unas intended to be the final boss? Tone-wise it's very hard to see this as that. The beginning makes it feel like more of a bonus stage theme, then it continues on to a melody that doesn't catch to me much up until about 1:16 or so where I can feel an upturn of something menacing. This one feels like the biggest miss of the lot, but it probably would work well as an early level theme in a different game genre.

I like the first jingle, the way the typical failure jingle trails off as though it were to fall off a cliff into oblivion. The got/GiGi jingle doesn't feel as distinctive in turn, sadly.

Saving Teruko for last - seeing Sleuth and yourself say they're favorites that made me feel like maybe I should be saving it for last - this one is an incredible finale for listening to the OST. I think it hits the pacing for a fighting game BGM just right, and the choice of instrumentation and tempo changes lend to the idea of strange swings in tone and making it kind of hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on with them. It's exactly appropriate to her character. I'd love to go into more detail here, but it is very significant spoilers for a game still going.

In short, your top three are, if I had to really pick... Isis, Teruko, and Got. Ryuuma and GD come very close. A lot of these are nice, so it is hard.
If I were a part of the project beyond simply saying 'okay, sure, you can use my characters,' I'd have been incredibly honored to know you were willing to go this far to compose this many themes for every character! I'm not sure of the order in which you created every theme, but if you say you're better now, I ought to be checking in on your stuff more.

Thanks again for sharing a peek at this.
Thanks a lot for your criticism! You clearly took a lot of time with your answers, to each of which one by one, sadly, I won't write an answer to, just the general ideas.

I'll start with pacing, which is connected to transitions in the track. The problem with [looping] video game tracks is that they ought to convey the same feeling throughout; but then they get boring really fast and doesn't feel like a "real" track (like if you leave the introduction or climax out of a short story). The balance is hard to hit on the head, so that might be something I have to work really hard on - but for the time being, I'll just duly note "don't make a minute-long introduction".

The thing about not knowing a lot about the characters... well, I also don't know much about them. I was given these track names and that's basically it. I asked about a few characters, about which RP they're from, what are they like, but really, I composed the tracks based on 2-sentence summaries of the characters. ...Which is also a problem because when I /knew/ what style I should be composing in (which ought to be a unified style throughout all tracks in any project that doesn't feature so many characters that basically have nothing to do with each other), I just... didn't know how to compose in that style. (See: Final Fantasy/Fire Emblem style, "Japanese theater" style [for Teruko], etc.)

This also meant that my /own/ style, if you will, was forced into the background.

The tutorial was indeed to be given by Ferdielance. Probably the only time that I had a use for my "Bird Tweet" soundfont.

Being a free project, I also thought that I could sneak a few pop culture references ("subtle nods and injokes") there - like the Jaws theme, or the Ghostbusters theme -. I wouldn't do that in a paid project.

The funny thing abour the Main Menu theme is that it originally looked something like this. I was told to make it harsher.

Anyway, I'm glad that you liked it overall. I'll try working on the flaws you mentioned. (Some of them can be fixed simply by making an OST with a less... diverse cast of characters. Others... with more years of practice.)

also getting an actual gregorian choir is pretty hard

Total times sued: 10328
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

You're probably all wondering what I have been dioing this past 6 months. The truth is, all of my free time was consumed by one, incredibly important project. But it has, at long last, come to fruition, and I hope you'll like it.

After 6 months of toil, blood and sweat, here's the Ace Attorney Opening played only by Synth Brass instruments from Super Mario Kart.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/orcxbkca3bk775a ... pening.mp3

what do you mean the anime wasn't out yet when i supposedly started working on this

Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I can't wait for Phoenix to defend Mario from a DUI.
tb2fan

Post by tb2fan »

I didn't know I wanted this until just now. Totally worth the 6 month wait. 11/10 would listen again.
Reecer6
Spoken languages: English and, for the most part, Spanish

Post by Reecer6 »

who knew that you could force deeyo to do anything, including transcribe a song into a single channel, if you just vaguely showed off your efforts on it in the general vicinity of him
~~~Image~~~
I have a tumblr, check it out!
The Fury Wraith wrote:''Now I'm SERIOUS!''

Desmyrr grabs his LEMON!
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

Reecer6 wrote:who knew that you could force deeyo to do anything, including transcribe a song into a single channel, if you just vaguely showed off your efforts on it in the general vicinity of him
joke's on you this is actually 9 CHANNELS

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

DeeYo wrote:You're probably all wondering what I have been dioing this past 6 months. The truth is, all of my free time was consumed by one, incredibly important project. But it has, at long last, come to fruition, and I hope you'll like it.

After 6 months of toil, blood and sweat, here's the Ace Attorney Opening played only by Synth Brass instruments from Super Mario Kart.

what do you mean the anime wasn't out yet when i supposedly started working on this
This is magical LMAO Out of curiosity did you make a MIDI of this as well? I wonder what it'd sound like with some other instruments!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

SuperAj3 wrote:
DeeYo wrote:You're probably all wondering what I have been dioing this past 6 months. The truth is, all of my free time was consumed by one, incredibly important project. But it has, at long last, come to fruition, and I hope you'll like it.

This is magical LMAO Out of curiosity did you make a MIDI of this as well? I wonder what it'd sound like with some other instruments!
Here is the MIDI. Of course this is a transcription by ear so there may be a lot of inaccuracies; I also didn't set volume and panning a lot. The vocals are played by a flute.

SuperAj3
Spoken languages: English, 日本語(少しだけ)

Post by SuperAj3 »

DeeYo wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:

Here is the MIDI. Of course this is a transcription by ear so there may be a lot of inaccuracies; I also didn't set volume and panning a lot. The vocals are played by a flute.
Thanks for sharing! And to me it sounds close to the official song! Really nice job!
ImageImageImageImage
Avatar from the TSub website :april:
DeeYo

Post by DeeYo »

I made two tracks for Mono's birthday. Since he's a Touhou fan, it's a Touhou stage theme and a Eurobeat-style song á la T. Stebbins, complete with awesome lyrics written by GuardianDreamer.

(Please excuse the choppy transition and my vocals.)

Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

ZUN needs to goddamn hire this man. It's so beautiful.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

DeeYo wrote:I made two tracks for Mono's birthday. Since he's a Touhou fan, it's a Touhou stage theme and a Eurobeat-style song á la T. Stebbins, complete with awesome lyrics written by GuardianDreamer.

(Please excuse the choppy transition and my vocals.)
This is awesome :calisto:
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

the monio is real

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."