Turnabout in a Haze (Prologue)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Turnabout in a Haze (Prologue)

Post by Gav »

You want to know what this is about? See for yourself!
Spoiler : Prologue :
Prologue - Midday

“Objection!”

A cold, clear voice rang out across a dim courtroom.

“Witness, you saw Ms. van Lavender on the night of the crime, yes?”
“That is correct.”
“...I beg to differ.”

The sudden outbreak of muttering from the audience was quickly silenced by the slam of a gavel, held by a bald, bearded judge, white wig clutched tightly in his fist. The trial had gone on long enough for a verdict to be declared a half hour ago, yet an attorney grasping at straws managed to prolong it. The prosecution’s case was perfect; only a miracle could shake it now. Judge Franklin Chambers sighed, deeply bored.

The woman on the witness stand smirked.

“You would dare to poke a hole in my account? Me, misdirect the court? I think not!”
“We shall soon see if those words are true, Mrs. Stahl. For you see, you are omitting a key statement in your testimony; that is, the description of the defendant.”
“I can provide sufficient description.”
“Then do so.”

“Objection!”

The index finger of a man standing opposite the one cross-examining Mrs. Stahl was in the air, pointed at his opponent.

“This is baseless! The witness says she saw the defendant, and as far as I’m concerned, her word is law!”
“Objection overruled,” the judge replied. “Let’s humor Mr. Gaol for the moment.”

The prosecution grunted and lowered his finger, teeth bared in a snarl.

“Thank you, Your Honor. You were saying, witness...?”
“The defendant was nothing special. I couldn’t note any striking features, as it was too dark to see anything.”
“You shouldn’t lie, Ms. Stahl.”
“I didn’t lie. We both know that the defendant was the only one at the scene of the crime. She even confessed! How can you say I’m lying?!”
“Hush.” The defense paused for a second. “A little backstory. In those mines, it gets very dark at night. One would need a flashlight, or, in the defendant’s case, this miner’s helmet, which was found at the scene of the crime.”
“And what proof do you have that the defendant was wearing it?” The witness was getting desperate.

Another pause.

“She was found, fainted, over the body, wearing it. What more do we need? Don’t gasp so loud, witness. You might swallow a bug. Anyway, seeing as it was so dark, the miner’s helmet was probably turned on. Thus, one could see the defendant.”
“What...?”
“And if one could see the defendant, you would certainly be able to see the tattered dress she was wearing.”
“...”
“This dress should’ve struck you as odd, ‘witness’, as it was bright red, yellow, and orange, in the style of a bonfire!”

Another murmur sprang up from the audience, which could not be silenced by the gavel. Not at all.

“Your Honor!” the defense half-called, half-screamed - whatever it was, it was loud enough to silence the courtroom.

“I’m afraid this witness is becoming, shall we say, unreliable. Tell the court, Ms. Stahl, what did you witness that night?”
“...”

The prosecution took the opportunity. “A dress proves nothing! I can think of plenty of explanations why the witness couldn’t have noticed it!”

Chambers shook his head. “I’m afraid all the facts point to an unreliable witness. Or at least one that doesn’t seem to notice details. Nevertheless, witness, why didn’t you see the defendant’s dress at the time of the crime?”
“I saw it, I really did!”
“Then why didn’t you include it in your testimony?”
“...I saw it, I really did!”
“Answer me.”
“...”
“Answer me before I throw you out of my courtroom!”
“I HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT! I SAW THE DEFENDANT, HELMET ON, TEETH GRITTED, FINGER OVER THE TRIGGER OF THE GUN! I SAW HER SHOOT IT, DAMN IT! I SAW HER!”

There was a silence lasting 30 seconds, yet to the people in the courtroom, it seemed like 30 hours watching paint dry. Or, in this case, watching Ms. Stahl’s sweat stop trickling down her face.

Then, the defense attorney broke into hysterical laughter, ended with a scream of “THE VICTIM WAS STRANGLED TO DEATH, YOU IDIOT!”

Chambers nearly fell out of his chair. He swung his gavel violently and shouted “The defense will refrain from verbal attacks on the witness immediately -”

And another murmur. The courtroom could not be silenced. Chambers was forced to make everyone go home.

I’ve succeeded in prolonging the trial for another day. But is there any evidence I’ll be able to find that proves Ms. van Lavender’s innocence?

Very nervous, the defense attorney left the courtroom and into another investigation on what would be the most controversial trial in the history of a law career.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.