DR fanfiction: Return of the Despair Academy [DR1 spoilers!]

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Evo
Spoken languages: Deutsch, English

DR fanfiction: Return of the Despair Academy [DR1 spoilers!]

Post by Evo »

This is a sequel to Dangan Ronpa, taking place about thirty years after DR1. This mostly ignores SDR2's canon (except for one character here being related to a SDR2 character) because I don't want to be spoiled on SDR2's endgame, so don't worry about spoilers for that.
While the mastermind in this is a new character who has nothing to do with the DR1 mastermind, this still has major spoilers for other endgame things in DR1, so don't read if you haven't played/read DR1.

Spoiler : Prologue :
Return of the Despair Academy

Prologue ▪ Repeating history of despair

Isn't it funny how history is always repeating?
Along with this world, its symbol of hope has been rebuilt. Hope's Peak Academy, the school where the talented students are raised that carry the hope of the new world.
But where there is hope, there will always be despair. And thus, another symbol will return to this world today.
The symbol of despair.
The face our ancestors still see in their nightmares. The organization that was behind it all. And the game you have all been waiting for ... the game of mutual killing!
Upupu! Enjoy our broadcast, everyone!

... Did you record that?

I did. What a wonderfully despair-inducing speech.

Now ... I guess it's time for the last part of our preparations. You know what I mean. I hope I'll meet you again after that ... sometime ...

Hope...? Do not use such a bad word. You should rather despair, as what you are wishing for will not come true!

W-What ... what are you doing!? Stop! Stop this right now! W-What about our plan? Stoooooop!!

Our plan does not matter anymore. I will follow my own plan from now on. You betrayed me, why should I not do the same to you? Upupupupu!

----

???: Um ... Hey! Are you alright? Arisaka-san ... isn't it? Is something wrong?

I wake up to someone shaking me at the shoulder. I try to open my eyes, but the blinding light from the ceiling stops that attempt.

???: Ah! You're awake! That's good ... I thought you were ... No. That doesn't matter. I'll help you get up.

When I finally manage to see, I look into the face of a young girl with so long white hair that it almost touches the floor. She looks like a fairly normal, friendly person, but I don't think I have ever seen her before. What is she doing here? Wait ... where is "here"? The ground feels hard ... am I lying on the ... ugh. This headache is making it hard to think...!

Motomu Arisaka: Uh ... s-sorry ... where ... where am I...?

Girl: Arisaka-san, are you not feeling well...? I can bring you to the school's nursing staff if you'd like. I know a lot about Hope's Peak Academy!

Motomu Arisaka: School ... Hope's Peak ... ah!

I finally remember. This is my first day at the newly reopened Hope's Peak Academy, the school that only accepts the most talented high school students, the best of the best. The students who graduate from it are considered the hope of our world, and will be very successful ... at least that's what I've been told. My name is Motomu Arisaka (有平探). I am a private detective, or Super High School Level Detective, as they are calling it here apparently. To think that I, who have previously been quite an ordinary student, have been invited here instead of a member of the famous Kirigiri family ... it is truly an honor.

Girl: Um ... Arisaka-san? Are you still there?

Motomu Arisaka: Oh, don't worry, I was just trying to recollect my memories. I remember most of it now, but ... what happened? What am I doing here on the floor?

I can try as hard as I want, the last thing I can remember is standing in front of the gates to Hope's Peak Academy. And this headache I'm having since I woke up isn't exactly making it better.

Girl: I'm sorry ... I don't know. I was waiting in our classroom with the others when we noticed that one of us was still missing, so I went to look for you. And then I found you here. You must have passed out ... But let's think about the reason for that later. First of all, you need to get up from this hard and cold floor!

The girl takes my hand and helps me stand up while I am still feeling dizzy.

Girl: Um ... can you walk?

Motomu Arisaka: I'm fine. Well, not really. But it should be getting better soon ... I hope.

Girl: If it doesn't, I can help you to the nurse. But for now, let's go to our classroom so you meet the other students. May I introduce myself first?

Motomu Arisaka: Oh, sure, go ahead.

Seika Shiun: My name is Seika Shiun (紫雲世華). I've been invited to this school as Super High School Level Good Luck ... not that it matters much, I guess. I don't have extraordinarily good luck or anything. I doubt something like that even exists. It was just a coincidence that they picked me. But I'm glad! I'm interested in history, and I've been a fan of Hope's Peak Academy for a long time. So even if I'm not nearly as talented as you, I will make the best of it! I believe you can do quite well without talent. What matters is the spirit!

Shiun's attitude is suprising me in a very good way. I would have thought the only normal person among the most talented people in this country - not counting myself - would have some huge complexes about being worse than the others ... it turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Shiun seems really motivated to do her best.

Motomu Arisaka: It's nice to meet you, Shiun. My name is-

Seika Shiun: I know! It's Motomu Arisaka. You're a Super Highschool Level Detective!

Motomu Arisaka: Wait, how do you know that?

Seika Shiun: As I already told you, I'm a fan of Hope's Peak Academy, so I did some research on all of my future classmates. Though, to be honest, if I hadn't met all the others yet, I wouldn't have recognized you ... you look entirely different than it that photograph I've seen of you.

Motomu Arisaka: Huh...? Perhaps the photo you had was an old one. I've grown a lot in the past few years, if that's what you mean.

Seika Shiun: It was in a newspaper article on the assassination attempt in the park you solved last month. And no, it's more about the face ... but perhaps I just remembered it wrong. Yes, that has to be it, so don't worry! I'm sorry for confusing you. Anyway, let's not let the others wait any longer. Let's go!

I walk to the classroom with Shiun, or rather, I'm walked there by her. When she reaches out for the doorknob, I'm trembling with curiosity about my new classmates.

Seika Shiun: Uhm, please excuse me, everyone! I've found our missing classmate.

Motomu Arisaka: Hello. My name is Motomu Arisaka.

Seika Shiun: He's a Super High School Level Detective. Isn't that nice? If something weird happens, you don't need to worry. Just ask Arisaka-san and he'll solve the case for you in a minute!

Motomu Arisaka: I don't think I'm that fast.

A girl gets up to greet me. I rarely watch TV, but I think I've seen her face somewhere before. Wasn't it in a documentation about foreign monarchies? I still have no idea why I watched that.

Helena Nevermind: I wish you a good morning. I am very pleased to meet you, Arisaka-san. I am Helena Nevermind, princess of Novoselic, a small European country of which you may not have heard yet.

Helena speaks as politely as a princess should, but I think she overdid the smile a little too much to look genuine. There seems to be more to her than meets the eye.

Helena Nevermind: As you may have already been expecting, I am a Super High School Level Princess. I am always giving my best to fulfil my duties as the heir to the throne. ... WAHAHAHAHA! Did you buy that just now? Oh but acting is so boring! Boringboringboring!
I don't care 'bout being a princess or anything! Of course that's not what got me here! Guess. Guess what my true talent is!

Motomu Arisaka: Super High School Level Loud Speaker? Super High School Level Scary Girl?

Helena Nevermind: Wahahahaha! That was a nice one! Though you couldn't be farther away. I'm a Super High School Level Racer. Yeah, really! You didn't see that one coming, did you?

Motomu Arisaka: R-Racer...!?

Helena Nevermind: Yep! Whether it's a car or a bike, I'm the fastest with everything.

Motomu Arisaka: Wait, aren't you too young for driving?

Helena Nevermind: Not in my country. You can drive at 15 in Novoselic, which is about the only cool thing in this lame boring country. Sooooo~! What should I call you? Motomu-chan? Naaah, that's boooring! What 'bout Alibi? 'Cause you're sure gonna need one when someone gets stared to death by creepy eyes. Yep! Definitely gonna call you that! I hope you like your new name~!

Motomu Arisaka: Hey, there's nothing creepy about my eyes! And I doubt staring to death exists.

Helena Nevermind: If your eyes ain't creepy, then I'm a polite and nice princess who loves nothing more than spending all day in her room doing all that not boring stuff princesses gotta do.

I would prefer her to do just that. In any case, I don't want this discussion to go on any longer, so I walk to the other end of the room to greet a redheaded girl with a sketchbook and a pencil who looks slightly more sane than our princess.

Motomu Arisaka: Hello.

Girl: .......

Motomu Arisaka: Hello? Can you hear me?

Girl: ...............

Motomu Arisaka: Um, excuse me, are you Super High School Level Mute or something?

Girl: Aaah! I'm sorry! I'm bad at drawing, so I have to concentrate ...

Motomu Arisaka: Oh, what are you drawing?

Girl: N-No! Don't look! It's really bad!

Seika Shiun: Of course it's not bad, Fudeoka-san. You're a Super High School Level Portrait Painter after all.

Girl: Um ... maybe I'm a little bit better with a brush ... but still! They must have been mistaken! I'm so sorry ... my portraits are an insult to everyone I'm drawing ...

Seika Shiun: If you're not content with your art yet, you have to give your best to get better. You can do it, believe me!

Girl: T-Thank you ...

When she continues drawing, I manage to get a glimpse into her sketchbook. It looks like she's drawing a girl with a violin, and she's doing it really well. She really has no reason to call herself bad.

Seika Shiun: This is Emaki Fudeoka (筆岡絵薪). She's best known for her painted portraits that almost look like photographs.

Motomu Arisaka: It's nice to meet you.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... nice to meet you too ...

Motomu Arisaka: Excuse me, Fudeoka. Who is it you're drawing?

Emaki Fudeoka: Maiyumi-san ... o-over there. I really like her music ... but please don't tell her I'm drawing her! Please!

Motomu Arisaka: Don't worry, I won't.

Curious about the music she has been speaking of, I walk to the girl with the violin case Fudeoka has been pointing at.

Kaine Maiyumi: Good morning, Arisaka-kun. It is very nice to meet you. I am Kaine Maiyumi (舞弓快音).

Motomu Arisaka: Nice to meet you, Maiyumi. Do you play the violin?

Kaine Maiyumi: You are right. I am a Super High School Level Violinist.

Motomu Arisaka: So ... I suppose you like classical music?

Kaine Maiyumi: It is what I make with my violin, however, I prefer listening to ... other genres.

Motomu Arisaka: Why don't you make music you like with your violin then? I really like these kinds of genre mixtures.

Kaine Maiyumi: Oh? Well, you see, it is a little complicated ... but I could play a few songs for you if you would like.

Motomu Arisaka: Of course I'd like that.

Kaine Maiyumi: Then just talk to me later after classes, alright?

Motomu Arisaka: Alright.

Finally I have met someone who seems quite normal in this class of freaks. The boy with the crazy grey hair next to her doesn't, but I should talk to everyone anyway, so I decide to introduce myself to him next.

Motomu Arisaka: Good morning.

Boy: It is a wonderful morning indeed! The rays of sunlight breaking through the cloudy sky light up the ground like beautiful spotlights from heaven!

Motomu Arisaka: Excuse me, would you please speak a language I know?

Boy: Are you telling me you are not fluent in the most romantic language in the world? The language of poetry?

Motomu Arisaka: I've never been much into poems, sorry.

Boy: What you will hear from me are not merely poems, for I am not merely a poet. If all the other poets were hills, I would be a mountain higher than the white clouds of cotton. If all the other poets were rivulets, I would be a river flowing down said high mountain into the blue ocean.

Motomu Arisaka: Mountains? Rivers? Are you a Super High School Level Geologist?

Seika Shiun: Excuse me, may I interrupt you? I'm not the best at interpreting, but I think what he was trying to say is that he is a Super High School Level Poet.

Kasetsu Seirou: This is what regular people would call it, but I, Kasetsu Seirou (青狼火雪) do not use such language.

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun, you're a Super High School Level Interpreter if you can understand what he's saying.

Seika Shiun: Thank you, but I was really just guessing based on what I've found out about him earlier. I can't read minds or anything!

Motomu Arisaka: At least your intuition must be really good then. Anyway. Seirou. It's nice to meet you ... I guess.

Kasetsu Seirou: I am pleased about that decision of fate as well. May you climb the peak of hope and look down on the clouds from above, so the sun will always be shining.

I don't even try to understand what Seirou said this time and go to another girl who outside of this school would have immediately stood out with her huge pink twintails and white earmuffs, but here she might as well be one of the most normal-looking students.

Sona Chigira: Morning! It's nice to meet you, Detective-kun! I'm Sona Chigira (千装衣南).

Motomu Arisaka: It's nice to meet you too, Chigira. Huh. For some reason you remind me of a girl from a video game I've played some time ago.

Sona Chigira: Oh, the reason is probably that I'm looking exactly like her. It's one of my costumes.

Motomu Arisaka: Costumes...?

Sona Chigira: Yep! I'm a Super High School Level Cosplayer! I have costumes of all my favorite characters from various media.

Motomu Arisaka: So that pink girl is one of your favorites too?

Sona Chigira: Yeah, of course! She's so cute and nice and smart too!

Motomu Arisaka: I remember her a little ... differently. Wasn't there that ending where-

Sona Chigira: Heeey! No spoilers! I'm only at the second puzzle. And if there's one thing I hate, it's gotta be spoilers!

Motomu Arisaka: Sorry. Well, that explains it then, I guess ...

Sona Chigira: So~! Have a nice day, Detective-kun!

Motomu Arisaka: Oh. You too.

The next students I'm interested in are a pair that have been talking with each other since I've entered. One of them is a very pretty girl with long wavy green hair and a white dress, the other is a slightly scary-looking boy with unusually large eyes who seems to be writing something down all the time. They can't be a couple, can they?

Girl: Hello ...

Boy: Oh, it's Motomu Arisaka, the Super High School Level Detective who solved the shooting case in the park!

Motomu Arisaka: Yes. How do you know that? Did you do some ... research, too?

Boy: You bet I did! I know everything about you! I even know your cute black cat's name is Sigma!

Motomu Arisaka: W-What!? Oh. I guess you have to be a Super High School Level Stalker then?

Joutarou Naiki: Some people call me that, but I prefer to be called Joutarou Naiki (内記情多朗), Super High School Level Journalist.

Motomu Arisaka: Uhh ... n-nice to meet you. Naiki. So, are you and this girl...?

Joutarou Naiki: Isn't that obvious? I'm interviewing Kaeruda-chan! So, Kaeruda-chan, what is it like to cut open dead frogs?

Kizuna Kaeruda: I don't like it ... I always feel bad for the poor frogs ... but it can't be helped ... it's a job that has to be done ...

As pretty as Kaeruda looks, her slow and monotonous way of speeking is rather creepy.

Motomu Arisaka: Kaeruda, are you a Super High School Level Frog Researcher?

Joutarou Naiki: Hey, I'm the one asking the questions! If you want to interview Kizuna Kaeruda (蛙田木砂), you have to get in line!

Kizuna Kaeruda: Officially ... I'm called a biologist ... however ... lately I've been specializing in frogs ...

Joutarou Naiki: Kaeruda-chan made a great discovery that might as well change the world!

Kizuna Kaeruda: It's not ... that important ...

Motomu Arisaka: Huh, what discovery?

Joutarou Naiki: I can't tell you that! You're gonna steal my scoop if I do, aren't you?

Kizuna Kaeruda: I'll tell you later ... when that man ... is done asking questions ...

Joutarou Naiki: Hey! No! Don't do that!

Kizuna Kaeruda: Are you ... done...?

Joutarou Naiki: No, there are still thousands of questions left. So, I heard you have a terrarium with frogs at home, is that right?

I decide it would be better to leave them alone now and talk to a short boy dressed almost only in black and white, with his hair even having both of the colors.

Motomu Arisaka: Hello. Super High School Level Hairdresser, isn't it?

Boy: An interesting opening, however, you made a wrong move.

Motomu Arisaka: Opening? What opened? Do you mean Hope's Peak Academy? Yeah, that's certainly ... interesting.

Boy: I was talking about this match.

Motomu Arisaka: You opened ... a box of matches...?

Seika Shiun: Do you need an interpreter again?

Motomu Arisaka: Oh, thank you, Shiun. That would be very useful.

Seika Shiun: I heard he treats everything like a game of chess, so I think he's using chess terms. He probably wanted to say that while your guess at his talent was interesting, you were wrong. Is that right?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: The queen's move was flawless. I am Ryuuma Ikegoma (生駒龍馬). Super High School Level Chess Player.

Motomu Arisaka: Chess? Isn't that some weird version of Shogi?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Do not get your pawn in the line of my knight.

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun?

Seika Shiun: I think he's not happy that you don't know chess.

Motomu Arisaka: Um ... I think my king's gonna run away really fast!

I quickly go to a more normal-looking boy dressed in black.

Boy: ........... Coward.

Motomu Arisaka: E-Excuse me? You were speaking a bit too quietly. What did you say?

Boy: I said you are a coward. Running away from that chess guy ... heh. I bet he can't hurt a fly.

Motomu Arisaka: Well, I'm not a fly ...

Boy: That's right. You're a chicken. And a scaredy-cat.

Motomu Arisaka: Haha. How funny. You must be a Super High School Level Master of Puns!

Takuya Izumo: I am Takuya Izumo (出雲匠也), the Super High School Level Thief. Remember it well, for when you let me steal something from you, you will not get it back!

Motomu Arisaka: They invited a thief...!? Oh well. The only thing you've stolen so far are my nerves.

Takuya Izumo: You think you're funny, huh? Well, too bad. You're not.

Motomu Arisaka: Neither are you.

I realize that normal-looking does not equal friendly. Trying to be a bit more brave than with Ikegoma, I go to a girl in martial arts clothing, hoping she will not throw me to the ground the moment I talk to her.

Girl: Hai-yaaaaah! G'morniiiiin'!

Motomu Arisaka: ... Super High School Level Karateka, isn't it?

Misaki Hariken: That's riiiiiight! My name's Misaki Hariken (破李拳緑咲). It's nice t'meet yaaaaaaaa!

I had thought Princess Helena was a loud speaker, but Hariken's piercing voice makes it very hard to resist covering my ears in fear of becoming deaf.

Motomu Arisaka: It's nice to meet you too.

Misaki Hariken: Hey, you look a bit like from some kinda action movie. We definitely gotta fiiiiiiiiiight!

Motomu Arisaka: I'm sorry. I neither like action movies nor fighting.

Misaki Hariken: Hi-yooooo ... what a shame! But it's no probleeeeem!

Motomu Arisaka: Hey, can you see that boy with the black clothes who looks kind of like a ninja thief? I bet he likes fighting.

Misaki Hariken: Cool! Have a nice daaaaaaaay!

I can barely suppress a laugh at Hariken asking Izumo to fight with her, and I am wondering who would be the coward now. Next to where she was standing, I see a boy in a soccer jersey and decide to hear his introduction next.

Boy: Hey, ... sorry, what was your name again? It's hard to remember so many names.

Motomu Arisaka: Motomu Arisaka.

Kazumaru Isotani: Arisaka ... Arisaka ... yeah, I think I've got it now. Anyway. My name's Kazumaru Isotani (居組谷数丸). Nice to meet you, Arisato-kun.

Motomu Arisaka: It's Arisaka ... Nice to meet you too, Isotani. May I take a guess at your talent?

Kazumaru Isotani: Sure, go ahead.

Motomu Arisaka: Super High School Level Name Forg- I mean Soccer Player?

Kazumaru Isotani: Yeah! 100 points for Arisawa! Let me try to guess your talent too.

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun already said what my talent is.

Kazumaru Isotani: He did...? I don't remember ...

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun is a girl. Super High School Level Good Luck.

Kazumaru Isotani: Oh, that nice girl with the green hair?

Motomu Arisaka: (He can't be helped ...) Anyway, what do you think my talent is?

Kazumaru Isotani: Um ... er ... Super High School Level Scary Face!

Motomu Arisaka: I don't think that's a talent. And I don't think that sounds like me at all either. I'm a detective.

Kazumaru Isotani: So, if I lose something, you can find it for me?

Motomu Arisaka: That's not my favorite task, but yes. (Unless he wants me to find his short term memory. That's probably lost forever.)

Seika Shiun: Aaaah! What a cute rabbit!

I turn around and see a boy with a long blue coat and the craziest hairstyle I may have ever seen holding a white rabbit above a top hat.

Boy: Thank you! I summoned the white rabbit from Wonderland just for you, Shiun-san. What would you like to see next? How about some roses for you, Kaeruda-san?

Kizuna Kaeruda: No ... I don't like roses ...

Boy: What do you like then? Is there something you find really romantic?

Kizuna Kaeruda: ... Frogs ... make frogs appear ...

Helena Nevermind: Hey, that's boring! You've gotta saw Kaeru-chan in half and forget to put her back together! Wahahahaha!

Kizuna Kaeruda: Trust me ... you don't want that ... if you cut someone in half ... there'll be a lot of blood ... and the-

Motomu Arisaka: Kaeruda! Stop this!

Helena Nevermind: No! Go on! That sounds interesting, so cut to the chase! Wahahaha!

Boy: I'm afraid I can't summon frogs. But I bet you like white doves, too!

Motomu Arisaka: Of course you couldn't bring a whole zoo with you.

Boy: Bring with me!? I'm summoning them from the spirit world!

Motomu Arisaka: Shouldn't they be ... dead then?

Hiroshi Genma: Of course a muggle wouldn't understand ... wait, we haven't talked yet, have we? I'm Hiroshi Genma (幻魔演), Super High School Level Wizard! Nice to meet you!

Motomu Arisaka: I believe the word you're looking for is magician.

Hiroshi Genma: Hey, are you implying you don't believe in my magic?

Motomu Arisaka: Magic doesn't exist.

Helena Nevermind: Hey, Hiroshi-kun! You should magically murder Kaeru-chan in a locked room and have Alibi try to prove that that could've been done without magic! Wahaha!

Boy: Who needs magic when you have technology? I could invent a locked room machine for you, Genma-kun.

Motomu Arisaka: I believe someone already invented that a couple thousand years ago. It's called a key.

Boy: Oh, right ...

I realize that I haven't talked to the boy with the huge glasses yet, so I greet him next.

Motomu Arisaka: Hello. Are you by any chance an inventor?

Kian Takami: Yeah, that's right! My name's Inventor, Super High School Level Kian Takami (高見帰庵)! Wait, that was the other way around, wasn't it?

Motomu Arisaka: Yes. (Looks like I'm getting better at guessing talents.)

Kian Takami: I'm sorry! I'm currently very busy thinking about my next invention.

Motomu Arisaka: What will it be?

Kian Takami: Hey, that's a secret! What if someone else gets the patent before me? But you don't look much like an inventor, so I guess I could make an exception for you. It's ... an automatic robot helper for putting on kimonos.

Motomu Arisaka: ... Who would ever need such a thing?

Kian Takami: Just because you don't need it, that doesn't mean that nobody does. I heard a girl didn't take a shower for weeks just because she didn't know how to get her kimono back on.

Motomu Arisaka: You should rather invent an automatic robot helper for thinking then.

Kian Takami: Hmmm ... if I put a cable here ... a transistor there ... a couple relays ... Yeah! That should be the perfect drinking machine!

Motomu Arisaka: I said thinking. Perhaps you should invent a hearing aid...? Oh right, that exists already.

Kian Takami: Hey, don't be so mean! Do you know how many thoughts are in a Super High School Level Inventor's head at one time? It's just natural that I confuse something here and there. Hmm ... perhaps I should build an Anti-Confusion-O-Matic...?

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun, I believe I've talked to everyone now.

Seika Shiun: No, I think you've overlooked Nishigo-san.

Shiun points me to a girl sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, staring at the ceiling. She is being so quiet that I had not even noticed her before.

Girl: .........

Motomu Arisaka: Excuse me? (Not again...)

Girl: Twenty-nine ...

Motomu Arisaka: What?

Girl: Four hundred ninety-three is seventeen times twenty-nine.

Motomu Arisaka: That's ... interesting, but I came to ask you what your name is.

Girl: ........... I have to concentrate ...

Motomu Arisaka: Why do you need to concentrate while staring at the ceiling...?

Girl: .................. Prime factors ...

Seika Shiun: This is Minako Nishigo, Super High School Level Mathematician (西後三七子). She doesn't like talking a lot. Instead she spends her time thinking about mathematical problems or calculating complex things in her head. Right now she seems to be doing prime factorization.

Motomu Arisaka: What's that?

Minako Nishigo: Every number can be written as a product of prime numbers. I'm calculating these factors. For example, two hundred fourty-five would be five times seven to the power of two.

Motomu Arisaka: (So she can talk after all ... too bad I don't understand anything.) Shiun?

Seika Shiun: I'm sorry. I didn't understand anything either. Anyway ... everyone. Please excuse me. I have a question.

Sona Chigira: Huh? What kind of question?

Misaki Hariken: I hope it's not about maaaaaath!

Motomu Arisaka: No. It's obviously about quantum physics.

Helena Nevermind: Quantum physics? That's boooooring! You should watch Quantum of Solace instead~!

Joutarou Naiki: Oh, isn't that some action move from the Zeroes? I never knew you were into that! I have to write an article about that!

Kian Takami: Did someone say quantum?

Takuya Izumo: No, we said "be quiet, nerd".

Kaine Maiyumi: I would say we should all calm down and remain silent for a moment for Shiun-san to ask her question.

Helena Nevermind: No, that's boring! But while we're at the topic of silence ... you know what's a really cool movie too? Silence of the lambs~!

Kazumaru Isotani: SIIIILEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!!!

Seeing the nice but forgetful Isotani almost explode in anger appeared to have shocked all of us so much that nobody said a word for a few minutes, until Shiun spoke up again.

Seika Shiun: Um ... thank you. Isotani-san. So ... what I wanted to ask was ... when we arrived here, did anyone feel weird? Headaches, fainting, memory loss, something like that...?

Sona Chigira: Well, I'm shaking a bit ... but that's probably just because I'm so excited to meet you all. You're really nice!

Misaki Hariken: I'm fiiiiiiiiiiiine!

Ryuuma Ikegoma: I recall no such event.

Takuya Izumo: I bet that soccer guy has memory loss.

Kazumaru Isotani: I don't remember losing my memory.

Helena Nevermind: As exciting as amnesia sounds, all I've been suffering from so far is boredom. Terrible boredom.

Kasetsu Seirou: All that has been flying through my head today is the peak of the mountain of hope, the shining blue of the cloudless sky above it, the lime green of the leaves of the trees surrounding it, swaying in the wind ...

Takuya Izumo: Nobody wants to hear that. Get back on topic.

Kasetsu Seirou: The turquoise of the peaceful rivulets, winding their way through the hills ...

Kizuna Kaeruda: There are no rivers here ... also ... water in such small quantities as in a rivulet ... would be not turquoise ... but transparent ...

Takuya Izumo: Act like high school students and get back on topic. Now.

Kaine Maiyumi: Fudeoka-san and Nishigo-san have been very quiet so far. Are you two feeling well?

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... yes. I-I'm fine.

Minako Nishigo: ...

Kaine Maiyumi: Nishigo-san?

Minako Nishigo: Seven times three to the power of five ...

Motomu Arisaka: I think her head is working fine right now. Except that it doesn't let anything but numbers in.

Kaine Maiyumi: So ... Shiun-san, why would you ask such a question?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: If I analyze the situation on the board a few moves ago ... the reason could be that Arisaka Motomu was late due to said symptoms.

Seika Shiun: That's right. I just wanted to know if anyone else had that, because ... well ... no, I probably shouldn't be thinking about this. Never mind.

Helena Nevermind: Yes, Lucky-chan?

Seika Shiun: So, I guess ... if everyone is fine ... we should just wait here for the headmaster to arrive. Alright?

???: Are you talking about me?

The voice, sounding like an old woman's, seems to come from some kind of half-black, half-white teddy bear standing on top of the blackboard.

Motomu Arisaka: W-What is this thing?

Kian Takami: It looks like a robot. I wonder how it works ...

Hiroshi Genma: This must be magic!

Helena Nevermind: You know, this looks kinda like Ryuuma-kun.

Seika Shiun: U...uwaaaaaaaaaah! M-Monobear!

Takuya Izumo: You know that toy? Do you have something to do with it?

Seika Shiun: Don't you know anything ... about ... o-our history...? This has to be a dream ... a bad dream ... I-I'll wake up any minute now ... all just a dream ... a dream ... dream dream dream dream ...

Shiun falls down on the floor, her whole body shaking in fear while she mutters the word "dream" to herself over and over. I wonder what this teddy bear could have done to her to make her react like this.

Sona Chigira: L-Luck-chan! Please calm down ... it will be alright ... I'm sure this cute bear is harmless!

Seika Shiun: You ... YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!

Sona Chigira: Aaaah! W-What ... um ... still, even if there are some terrible killer teddy bears out there ... it could still be some tasteless prank.

Helena Nevermind: It wasn't me this time!

Seika Shiun: A joke ... yes ... just a joke ... that has to be it ... thank you, Chigira-chan ...

Sona Chigira: That's good, Luck-chan! Never stop hoping!

Bear: Hope? That word is forbidden at my school! You bastards should all be despairing right now, just like Shiun-san!

Kizuna Kaeruda: ... Are you ... the headmaster...? I like bears ...

Monobear: That's right! I'm Monobear, your headmaster for this school life of mutual killing!

Seika Shiun: Eee ... eeeeyaaaaaaAAAAAAH!

Motomu Arisaka: W-Whaaaaaat!?

Joutarou Naiki: M-M-M-Mutual killing!?

Misaki Hariken: Killiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!?

Emaki Fudeoka: Aaaah ... uwaaaaaaah!

Sona Chigira: Please stop! That's a terrible joke!

Takuya Izumo: That costume girl is right for once. It's not funny at all.

Kasetsu Seirou: The creature from a child's playroom with its fur made half of a cloud, half of the sky in a moonless night, must not be telling the truth!

Minako Nishigo: According to logic, he is not the liar in this exercise.

Helena Nevermind: I sure hope he isn't because that sounds hella exciting~!

Takuya Izumo: I want to punch that girl.

Helena Nevermind: You'd better not do that. Racers are strong, you know? But if you insist, I'm always ready for some action~! Wahaha!

Sona Chigira: Stop fighting! Please!

Kaine Maiyumi: As bad as the situation may seem ... I would say we should let the bear talk. I am sure he will clear up the joke very soon.

Monobear: Upupupu! This is no joke! I would never lie to you bastards! As I was saying, I'm Monobear, your headmaster. I'm also the only one in this school other than you bastards, so I'll be the one doing all the lessons. And there is only one subject. You see, this school has been locked down completely. No doors, no windows for you bastards to get outside through. There is only one way to leave, and that is to graduate.

Takuya Izumo: Oh, that explains the windows.

Motomu Arisaka: And how do you graduate?

Seika Shiun: It's not ... no ... it can't be ... uwaaaaah ...

Monobear: It is! To graduate, you need to be the best in the one subject I'll be teaching you, my favorite of all subjects you could think of!

Seika Shiun: K ... Kil ...

Monobear: That's right! It's killing! To graduate, you need to be the best at murdering. Do you know what makes a murder good?

Helena Nevermind: That's easy! You need to get away with it~!

Motomu Arisaka: H-How can you be so calm...?

Misaki Hariken: Do you have no heaaart?

Kizuna Kaeruda: That's not possible ... you can't live ... without a heart ...

Takuya Izumo: What a great biologist you are. I'd have never known that.

Helena Nevermind: Sooo~! If we kill one of the others without getting caught, we get to leave? Is that right?

Monobear: Correct! It's up to you bastards' choice. Live in this school forever, or kill someone without being found out and get out! However, if you are found out ... I'll make sure that you get the punishment you deserve for failing in my subject! Upupu!

Helena Nevermind: Wahahaha! Excitiiiing~!

Misaki Hariken: What punishment? Are you talking about detentiiiiooon?

Seika Shiun: You die.

Misaki Hariken: W-What did you saaaay!?

Motomu Arisaka: S-Shiun!?

Seika Shiun: If they find out you're the murderer. You die.

Monobear: Look who's done her homework! You bastards should all take Shiun-san as an example. She's despairing so wonderfully! Upupupu!

Emaki Fudeoka: I don't want to stay here forever ... but ... but ... k-killing! Aaaah!

Hiroshi Genma: You can't be serious! This-...This must all be part of a magic trick!

Helena Nevermind: So you're admitting it's all just tricks after all~?

Kaine Maiyumi: This is insane!

Takuya Izumo: So, that means, either eight of us leave this school and another eight die, or all of us stay here. For now, as long as this school appears like an acceptable place to live in, I say it's better for the most of us to stay here than to escape being murderers.

Kazumaru Isotani: What're you saying!? Of course no one here's a killer! How can you even think about something like that!? DID YOU GO CRAZY?

Takuya Izumo: Calm down. This will get us nowhere.

Kizuna Kaeruda: I ... don't want ...

Joutarou Naiki: H-Hey! I got an idea! We're all famous people. I've written tons of articles about all of you. I'm sure someone will check after us soon.

Kian Takami: I could build a machine to get us out of here!

Sona Chigira: That's right! We'll definitely find a way!

Monobear: Is that hope I'm seeing...? Don't worry, it won't last! This lesson was meant for later, but it looks like I should tell you now. What do you think I am?

Hiroshi Genma: A magical bear from another dimension...?

Helena Nevermind: A zombie? A possessed killer teddy bear~?

Kizuna Kaeruda: Ursidae family ... going by the colors ... I would say ... ailurupoda ... melanoleuca ...

Kian Takami: It's probably a robot with artificial intelligence.

Motomu Arisaka: That exists?

Joutarou Naiki: I've never written about it, so it doesn't.

Kian Takami: It has been invented before we were even born. Sadly, not by me.

Seika Shiun: I-It was a student of this school ... a S-Super High School Level ... P-Programmer ...

Monobear: You're right yet again! Let's hope you bastards are as good at the subject that matters! So, artificial intelligence doesn't simply fall from the sky. I've been created by someone, whose idea this game of murders was, who planned and prepared everything and locked you in this school. You might call them the mastermind behind this game. And right now, they are in this very classroom!

Seika Shiun: I-It's one of us!?

Hiroshi Genma: Who is it? Who of you is using dark magic?

Kazumaru Isotani: I bet it's that thief! You can't look more suspicious than him!

Takuya Izumo: I have a name. Is "Izumo" really that hard to remember for you, soccer player?

Kazumaru Isotani: But no comment about being the mastermind? Does that mean you did it?

Takuya Izumo: No.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... I think ... an inventor could invent something like this ...

Kian Takami: And why would I do that? My inventions are supposed to help people!

Misaki Hariken: It's gotta be the princeeeeess! Can't you see how much she's enjoying thiiiiis?

Helena Nevermind: Me? Wahahaha! I'd have come up with a less boring setting than a school. I think it's Alibi~! Just like Mr. Killer Bear, he looks like he's straight out of a horror movie~!

Motomu Arisaka: What!? No!

Kasetsu Seirou: The colorless but rich in contrast design of the monochrome bear would fit with the clothing Ikegoma-kun has decided to wear.

Sona Chigira: Please stop this! We shouldn't just accuse people!

Kaine Maiyumi: Chigira-san is right. Accusing each other will get us nowhere.

Kazumaru Isotani: Don't you want to know who did this?

Joutarou Naiki: As a reporter, I have to know everything!

Sona Chigira: S-Stop! I think that's just what Monobear wants. He wants us to mistrust each other so that eventually one of us might ... kill ...

Kaine Maiyumi: We do not know whether he is even speaking the truth.

Monobear: As I said before, I'm not lying! If you don't want to know who my creator is, then just live here forever with the mastermind who locked you bastards in here among you. However, if you find out who it is, you will be rewarded.

Kizuna Kaeruda: What ... kind of ... reward?

Monobear: Graduation! Except for the mastermind, who will be punished for what they did, all of you will get to graduate from this school. Well then, classes for today are over. Here's your homework: despair as much as you can. Enjoy your school life of mutual killing! Upupupupu!

And with this, the bear disappears as quickly as it had appeared, leaving a class full of doubt, distrust and despair behind.

Seika Shiun: Why ... why this again ...

Emaki Fudeoka: No ... I don't want to be killed! I want to go home! Let me oooouuuuut!

Joutarou Naiki: Kaeruda! Let's research this together!

Kizuna Kaeruda: I do a different ... kind of research ...

Takuya Izumo: Fifteen getting out at the cost of one ... now this sounds much better than sixteen being trapped here forever.

Minako Nishigo: T-That's not how you calculate this ...

Misaki Hariken: Princess! Confess right nooooow!

Hariken ran towards Helena, ready to attack her, but without even looking in her direction, the princess tripped her and Hariken fell to the ground.

Misaki Hariken: Waaaaaaaah!

Helena Nevermind: Wahaha~! So, Alibi, I think you're in good need of one!

Hiroshi Genma: The white rabbit from wonderland told me that it's Izumo who's using black magic!

Kazumaru Isotani: Yes! I agree! Hey, Mono...thing! We got the mastermind!

Takuya Izumo: Don't be fools and jump to conclusions without evidence. And no, your so-called magic does not count as evidence.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... I still think it's Takami-kun ...

Sona Chigira: Noooooo! Please, stop! You're playing right into Monobear's hands!

Looking around the class, I realize how right Chigira is. Were everyone to get along well and eventually become friends, no one would have a motive to do what Monobear wants: murder. But with nobody trusting anyone else, he would have a much easier time pushing us to follow his plans.

Helena Nevermind: Don't tell me you want to be stuck in a school forever. I'd die of boredom!

Sona Chigira: I'm sure it won't be forever. We haven't even seen how exactly Monobear has locked the school yet. There has to be a way out. And even if there isn't, help will come. If they hear nothing from us in a while, our parents will become suspicious and look for us, I'm sure! But in any case, accusing each other or killing to get out is not an option!

Ryuuma Ikegoma: One should not make a move without analyzing the gameboard before.

Kaine Maiyumi: You are right. We should investigate this building thoroughly before making any decisions.

Takuya Izumo: What a surprisingly good idea from you. We might find clues towards the mastermind's identity.

Seika Shiun: No ... it's useless ... it's all useless!

With these words, Shiun runs out of the classroom, putting out the small flame of hope Chigira had lighted. A part of me wants to think that we will find a way out or be freed by the police in a few days, but the other part knows that Monobear would have considered these possibilities. For me, as for most of the others, waiting and doing nothing is not an option. We have to find clues and solve this mystery.

Prologue - End

Remaining students: 16
Chapter 1 - (Ab)normal days
Spoiler : Part 1 :
Chapter 1 ▪ Doubt, distrust and despair

On my first day at Hope's Peak Academy, I was greeted by a robot looking like a teddy bear, who claimed that he locked me and my classmates inside this school and the only way out is to kill another student. Even for a dream, this sounds much too crazy, however, I have no doubt that this really happened.
Is this just a very tasteless joke? Why would someone do this? Is there a way out? Will help from outside come? Are there other people in this building who can help us? If not, what happened to them? Is there really a mastermind among us? Who is it? ... Is one of us so desparate to get out that they are already planning murder?
Too many questions are going through my head. Apparently it's the same for everyone else in this room. Nobody is saying a word, everyone is considering their options inside their heads, alone in their despair.
After what felt like hours, Maiyumi finally breaks the silence, holding up some sheets of paper.

Kaine Maiyumi: Monobear-san left maps of this building's first floor for us. I suggest that we examine these maps and choose useful places to investigate.
The first map shows the school area, while the second one shows the dormitory area.

Emaki Fudeoka: We're in classroom 05 ... I think ...

Misaki Hariken: Ah! There's a gymnasiuuuuuuum!

Kazumaru Isotani: Oh! Let's play soccer, Hira... Hari... Harika... Misaki-san.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: You should not think about promoting your pawns while your king is in check. It is not an appropriate move in such a sitation.

Misaki Hariken: But training's importaaaaant!

Sona Chigira: First I'd say we should check out the entrance. Maybe we can just leave through there.

Takuya Izumo: Are you serious? You can't be that naive. Do you really think that bear would say we're locked in here forever and then leave the main exit wide open?

Sona Chigira: Oh, well, maybe it was just a joke.

Takuya Izumo: And the metal plates in front of the windows are part of this joke?

Sona Chigira: M-Metal plates...? Aah!

Only now that Izumo mentions it I notice that not the smallest beam of sunlight is coming into the room. All the windows are completely blocked by huge metal plates that don't look like they can be removed. The little hope I had that we would find a way out is now completely gone.

Sona Chigira: Who ... who'd do such a thing?

Takuya Izumo: Obviously, that bear would.

Misaki Hariken: Hai-yaaaaaaa!

Hariken kicks and punches one of the plates, but it doesn't move an inch. After a few failed attempts, Helena and Isotani join her, but even the three of them together can't do anything.

Kazumaru Isotani: It's no use ...

Helena Nevermind: If it was that easy, that'd be sooo boooring! And a killer zombie teddy bear wouldn't do boring stuff for sure~!

Misaki Hariken: Is there no way ouuuuut?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Looking at one piece only will not let you know anything about the situation on the chessboard.

Motomu Arisaka: Could you repeat this in English?

Kaine Maiyumi: He is saying you should examine the other windows and the entrance door as well.

Misaki Hariken: Yes! Let's do this! If you're strong enough, you can do anythiiiiiiiing!

Helena Nevermind: I'm in! This sounds exciting~!

Kazumaru Isotani: I'll also help.

Kaine Maiyumi: That means the athletes take care of looking for an escape route. It is also important to know how good the life circumstances inside this building are, in the case we have to stay here for a while.

Emaki Fudeoka: You mean ... you want to check out the cafeteria? If there's enough food?

Kasetsu Seirou: There is one more thing that is as important as the rays of the sun are for a tree. Each time the moon is shining, one must be able to escape into the land of dreams in a pleasant place.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... Maiyumi-san?

Kaine Maiyumi: I apologize. I do not understand.

Motomu Arisaka: If only Shiun were here ... Shiun ...

Sona Chigira: Oh, yes, that's right! We should look for Luck-chan. I hope she's fine ...

Takuya Izumo: She looked very fine when she ran out of the room crying.

Hiroshi Genma: I want to look after Shiun-san, too. Maybe some magic will cheer her up. Right, Yukito-chan? ... The white rabbit from wonderland says, "Magic can make everyone smile."

Motomu Arisaka: I suppose it could, if you magically made an exit appear ...

Hiroshi Genma: Sorry, I haven't learned that spell yet.

Kaine Maiyumi: Then Genma-kun and Chigira-san will look for Shiun-san. I will investigate the dormitory area, including the cafeteria.

Kasetsu Seirou: I will gladly join your search.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... would you mind if I follow you? I'm sorry, I know I won't be very helpful, but I'll give my best ...

Kaine Maiyumi: Seirou-kun and I in the dormitory area, it is then. What about you, Naiki-kun?

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... Maiyumi-san ...

Takuya Izumo: Maybe if you spoke louder she might actually hear you.

Helena Nevermind: Maybe if you spoke quieter you might actually not go on our nerves. Buuuut you probably would, too.

Joutarou Naiki: I'll go wherever Kaeruda-san wants.

Kizuna Kaeruda: I want to go to the library ... I hope they have books about biology ...

Takuya Izumo: And books about biology will help the investigation how?

Kaine Maiyumi: It is not a bad idea. There could be interesting material on Hope's Peak Academy, for example. Where do you want to go, Izumo-kun?

Takuya Izumo: I want to examine my room. And only my room.

Helena Nevermind: And doing boring stuff in your room will help the investigation how?

Takuya Izumo: And I should care about that why?

Sona Chigira: Racer-chan, Thief-kun, please stop this!

Emaki Fudeoka: Maiyumi-san ...

Kaine Maiyumi: Takami-kun, Nishigo-san, you have not said a word since I gave you the maps. Is there a place you would like to take a closer look at?

Kian Takami: A map...? I think somebody has already invented that.

Kaine Maiyumi: ...

Helena Nevermind: Hey prof, you're so bored you're not even listenin'? I can understand ... Hey, let's make this fast or somebody's gonna die of boredom! Though I guess it'd be cool if we had the first murder so early~!

Kasetsu Seirou: The place of unlimited knowlegde could be of interest for you.

Kian Takami: Such a place exists? Where? Where?

Motomu Arisaka: I'm not as good at this as Shiun, but he's probably talking about the library.

Kaine Maiyumi: Nishigo-san?

Minako Nishigo: Eight times nine meters ... then the root ... natural logarithm ...

Misaki Hariken: Nishigo-saaaaaaan!

Minako Nishigo: I'd rather stay here ... I'm busy ...

Kaine Maiyumi: Then, who is missing ... Ikegoma-kun?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ...

Motomu Arisaka: The way he's staring at the map ... you don't have to be a Super High School Level Detective to see that he's found something.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: A good move.

Kaine Maiyumi: Ah! What is it?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: One does not announce a move before making it.

Helena Nevermind: It's a secret? That's cool! Maybe he found out the rooms are movin' and switchin' places all the time, like in that movie~! ... Hey, we gotta throw Kaeru-chan in all the rooms to see if there's traps~!

Kizuna Kaeruda: There are much better ways ... to find that out ...

Helena Nevermind: The so-called trap expert thought that too, and the next moment he got some pretty nasty-

Kazumaru Isotani: GET BACK ON TOPIC!

Helena Nevermind: Waaaaah!

Kaine Maiyumi: Who have I forgotten?

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... excuse me ...

Helena Nevermind: Oh, just follow her. She's not gonna mind, I'm sure~!

Kaine Maiyumi: Ah, Arisaka-kun. What is it you want to do?

A good question. All these places seem worth checking out, and even the greatest detective would need many hours to search all of them thoroughly. I need to decide where the most clues could be.
Spoiler : Part 2 :
I come to the conclusion that what Ikegoma noticed would be the most interesting. If there are any secrets hidden inside this school, they are not inside the most obvious places.

Motomu Arisaka: Ikegoma, what did you notice? I want to check it out, too.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Chess is played one on one. A move is made alone.

Motomu Arisaka: Then at least let me ... watch. Your ... match.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: I do not let the opponent see any more than is visible on the chessboard.

Without telling me any more, Ikegoma leaves the room.

Motomu Arisaka: (Looks like I won't hear it from him. I should take another look at the map. Maybe I can find what he noticed.)

ImageImage

The first things that pique my curiosity are two rooms without captions in the school area, near the passage to the dormitory area. One of them looks like the others, except for the missing caption, the other is square, in a different color and without a door - it might not even be a room.

Motomu Arisaka: (I should definitely check this out.)

On the way to the two interesting rooms, I see what the red X in the map meant: there is a huge metal door in front of what, according to the map, is the stairway to the second floor of the school area. It cannot be pushed open, and there is no handle or keyhole.

Motomu Arisaka: (This must be an electronic door. It's probably locked because Monobear doesn't want us to go to the second floor - but why have something like that in a school?)

The square room turns out to be an elevator, however, there is only one button on the outside - an arrow pointing down - and pushing it seems to do nothing.

Motomu Arisaka: (So the stairs only lead up, and the elevator only down ... and neither of them can be used. Such quality can only be from a Super High School Level architect.)

Unlike the other doors I have examined so far, the door to the other room without a caption is not only unlocked but open. I take a look inside and see shelves with boxes scattered around, Izumo currently looking though one of them.

Motomu Arisaka: (This is definitely interesting, but there's no way I'd voluntarily go into the same room as Izumo. Wait, didn't he want to go to his room? I doubt he lives in a storage room. Suspicious ...)

Hiroshi Genma: Oh! A portal! Maybe Shiun-san used this to go to wonderland! Go, Yukito! Use your powers as the white rabbit to open this gate!

Genma pulls his rabbit out his top hat and places it in front of the elevator door. The rabbit takes a smell at the door, then walks away not interested at all, until Genma picks it up again.

Hiroshi Genma: She says, "This gate is being protected by a powerful spell."

Motomu Arisaka: Really? I thought it said, "Give me a carrot."

Hiroshi Genma: Muggles ...

Sona Chigira: Then maybe you need to use a spell, too!

Hiroshi Genma: Yes, that's right!

Genma waves his arm around until he suddenly holds a wand in it. Then he dramatically points it at the elevator door, shouting spells.

Hiroshi Genma: Abra cadabra! Open sesame! Alohomora! Doorus openus! ... What? Why is this not working?

Motomu Arisaka: Maybe because you didn't push the button.

Hiroshi Genma: Of course I did that! That's necessary for this trick- I mean spell to work. But it's still not opening.

Sona Chigira: Weird ... maybe it's broken? But I'm sure the teddy will repair it soon.

Motomu Arisaka: Hey, Genma, can you use your magic to find out where Ikegoma went?

Hiroshi Genma: Yukito? ... The white rabbit from wonderland says, "I have no idea!"

Sona Chigira: Oh, I think I saw him go to the dormitory area earlier. Speaking of the dormitory, maybe Luck-chan went to her room?

Hiroshi Genma: Wouldn't a muggle need a map to find that?

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun researched everything there is to know about Hope's Peak Academy. It wouldn't surprise me if she memorized all the maps beforehand, too.

Sona Chigira: Thanks, Detective-kun! Wizard-kun, let's go!

With that, Chigira and Genma leave. I take another look at the dormitory area's map and notice that the cafeteria and library appear to be part of the same room, with stairs going from the cafeteria part to the library part.

Motomu Arisaka: (Looks like the library is on a gallery above the cafeteria. But then this door can't be between the kitchen and the library, if they're on different floors ... Now the question is: Is it between the kitchen and the cafeteria - or between the library and the dormitory area's second floor? This could very well be what Ikegoma wanted to check out.)

On the way to the cafeteria, I find that the staircase to the second floor of the dormitory area is also blocked by a similar door.

Motomu Arisaka: (The door in the library might be the only way to access the second floor...)

I enter the cafeteria and see Maiyumi and Seirou drinking coffee at a table, while Fudeoka is drawing at a different one far away from theirs.

Motomu Arisaka: (Way to help the investigation ...)

As I thought, the library is on a gallery. Under it, find a door leading to the kitchen.

Motomu Arisaka: (Too bad ... but I shouldn't leave before I've checked every possibility.)

In the library I find Ikegoma looking at a bookshelf that seems to be directly above the door to the kitchen.

Motomu Arisaka: Hey, Ikegoma.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ... Arisaka Motomu. What is it?

Motomu Arisaka: You're here to see if there's a door going from the library to the rest of the dormitory area's second floor. Right?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ... You have seen through my strategy. In any case, it is not working. On the field I assumed the door to be, this piece is already standing. There cannot be two pieces on one field at the same time. One of them would be captured.

Motomu Arisaka: Um ... sorry, I don't understand.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: How can I say this in the terms of a layman ... "There is a bookshelf, therefore there cannot be a door in the same place"?

Motomu Arisaka: Maybe not in chess, but why not in real life? This wouldn't be the first door behind a bookshelf.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: What is the use of such a move?

Motomu Arisaka: Some people just like secret passages. Or maybe they couldn't find a better place for their bookshelf. But it's usually the former.

I take a few books out the shelf and find a door handle behind it.

Motomu Arisaka: See? There's definitely a door here.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Interesting. However, the other piece is still in the way.

Motomu Arisaka: We just have to move it about two feet to the left.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Are you capable of such a move?

Motomu Arisaka: Not alone, but since this isn't a game of chess, we can just ask for help.

I look around and see Takami, Kaeruda and Naiki each reading their own book.

Motomu Arisaka: Takami, Kaeruda, Naiki! We need your help!

Joutarou Naiki: Sure! What is it?

Kian Takami: Huh? Did someone say something?

Kizuna Kaeruda: I think ... he wants us to help ... move the bookshelf ...

Kian Takami: Move a bookshelf...? Maybe if you use this motor ... and a transistor here ...

Motomu Arisaka: Using your hands would work fine.

Kian Takami: Oh? A robot hand?

Motomu Arisaka: ... Naiki? Kaeruda?

Joutarou Naiki: Alright!

With the help of Naiki, who is still holding a book in one hand, and Kaeruda we move the shelf away from the door.

Joutarou Naiki: Oh! A secret passage in Hope's Peak Academy? This will be a real scoop! I can already see the headline: "School Holds Many Secrets", end quote.

Motomu Arisaka: Oh, nice. "Door Not Locked", end quote. Kaeruda, Naiki, do you want to see the second floor, too?

Kizuna Kaeruda: I am busy ... there are many books ... about biology ...

Joutarou Naiki: Don't distract me! This book has ultra important information for my next article!

Motomu Arisaka: ... "Love Cuts Like Scissors". Yes, very important. Let's go, Ikegoma.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: That would be a good move.

We enter the second floor of the dormitory area. On first glance, it looks exactly like the first floor. On second glance, I notice there are two rooms less, making it fifteen sleeping rooms and no recreation room.

Motomu Arisaka: This must be the sleeping rooms of another class. Ah, there could be some of the other students here! Maybe they have an idea what this whole thing means.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: I doubt it. However, the gameboard needs to be thoroughly analyzed. I suggest to examine it field by field.

Motomu Arisaka: You mean we should check all the doors?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Correct.

The first door we take a look at has a mounting for name plates, however, unlike on the first floor, there is no plate inside. It looks like this room is unused, but I still knock on the door. As expected, there is no answer.
Going through the rest of the doors, we find that it's the same for all of them.

Motomu Arisaka: There's nobody here ... and thanks to the missing name plates, we won't know who's living here.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: It is as I thought. Looking for a seventeenth white piece on a chessboard has no use.

Motomu Arisaka: But there are multiple chessboards. Classes, I mean. (Oh great, this is contagious ...)

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Do not forget that this is the first round of this tournament. There are only sixteen participants. Other players will join in later rounds.

Motomu Arisaka: Are you saying there's no other classes in our year? Why'd they make a school just for 16 people?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Have you not informed yourself of the rules before the match? I had thought it is a common strategy of a detective to collect as much information as possible.

Motomu Arisaka: That's true, but I was busy solving other cases. (And freaking out with joy over being invited to Hope's Peak Academy.)

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Have you not mastered simultaneous chess?

Motomu Arisaka: What's that?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: One player playes multiple matches of chess at the same time, against multiple opponents. Outside of tournaments, it is my favorite way of playing. However, I doubt there are enough players with knowledge of chess here to play simultaneous chess.

Motomu Arisaka: I suppose nobody here even knows the rules of chess. But you could teach us. I play shogi at times, maybe chess is also fun.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ... That would not be a good move.

Motomu Arisaka: Doesn't that sound better than playing against yourself all the time?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ... Arisaka Motomu.

Motomu Arisaka: Y-Yes? (What's with that scary face all of a sudden?)

Ryuuma Ikegoma: You have made a very bad move. The risk is much too high.

Motomu Arisaka: What risk?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ..............

Motomu Arisaka: A-Are you threatening me or something?

Ryuuma Ikegoma: ... That was not my intention ... However, you should learn from your mistake, and not make such a move again.

Motomu Arisaka: What are you talking about?

Without saying another word, Ikegoma walks towards the staircase.

Motomu Arisaka: (Huh? This should be a dead end, right?)

After about ten minutes in which I haven't seen Ikegoma again, I finally bring up the courage to go the staircase. Next to the stairs leading down, there is another locked door, probably blocking the way upstairs.

Motomu Arisaka: (So Ikegoma must have gone downstairs ... but the door there should be locked. On the other hand, he wouldn't spend ten minutes in front of a locked roor, right? Maybe there is something there ...)

I carefully walk down the stairs, prepared to run away immediately if I see Ikegoma. However, he is nowhere to be seen, and soon I see the reason why - there is a handle on this side of the door, allowing it to be opened. As expected, I end up on the first floor of the dormitory area.

Motomu Arisaka: (Ah, maybe it's possible to open it from the other side in case of an emergency, like some fire doors.)

Kaine Maiyumi: Ah, Arisaka-kun!

I turn around and see Maiyumi and Seirou, with Fudeoka nervously hiding behind them.

Kaine Maiyumi: Have you finished your investigation?

Motomu Arisaka: I think so.

Kaine Maiyumi: Then please follow us to the cafeteria. The other students are already there. We are planning to discuss our results.

In the cafeteria, the students are sitting around the tables in small groups. Indeed everyone is there, even Shiun.

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun! Are you alright?

Seika Shiun: Oh, Arisaka-san! I'm fine. Well, as fine as one can be in such a situation ...

Sona Chigira: Don't say that! We'll definitely find a way out!

Shiun looks much better than before, but I can still see fear and despair behind her friendly smile. Unlike the others, she doesn't seem to have even the slightest bit of hope that this will end well.

Kaine Maiyumi: Now that everyone is present, I would like to announce the results of the investigation of the dormitory area. Would everyone please remain quiet for a minute?

Helena Nevermind: Suuuure, teacher.

Kaine Maiyumi: First we examined the recreation room. It contains a television with DVDs, a CD player and equipment for darts, billiards and table soccer.

Kasetsu Seirou: Do not forget the money-eating replica of the monochrome bear.

Kaine Maiyumi: Ah, yes. And a monobear ride. How tasteless.

Emaki Fudeoka: B-But it's kind of fun ...

Helena Nevermind: No armors with real axes and lances? Boooring!

Motomu Arisaka: Why'd you have these in a recreation room?

Helena Nevermind: 'Cause it's fun! And I'm sure Killerbear has murder weapons everywhere~! Sona-chan, don't you think an axe suits you?

Sona Chigira: What? No! I'd never touch such a thing!

Takuya Izumo: Get back on topic.

Helena Nevermind: You're one to talk. You didn't even investigate at all. Laziness is boring, y'know.

Takuya Izumo: Actually, I did.

Kaine Maiyumi: Please allow me to go on. Next we went to the cafeteria, where we are right now. In the kitchen, we found a large sortiment of food that, according to Monobear, is refilled each night. Additionally, there was a drawer full of knives, however, as they could be used for crimes, I locked them inside my room and will only bring them here for each meal. If you need a knife at another time, you may borrow one from me if you sign the knife borrowing list.

Seika Shiun: Maiyumi-san, no ... that's dangerous ...

Takuya Izumo: Why should we trust you that you don't use the knives to kill someone?

Kaine Maiyumi: If such an event happens and nobody has a knife according to the list, you will know that I am the perpetrator.

Motomu Arisaka: Actually, I could imagine a few tricks you could do here. But it's still better than leaving them lying around in the kitchen.

Helena Nevermind: Just don't use a knife for murder! That's infinitely boring!

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Maiyumi Kaine. You moved to your field, is that correct?

Seika Shiun: He's asking if you went to your room.

Kaine Maiyumi: Yes. We examined my and Seirou-kun's room. The rooms appear to be quite comfortable. Additionally, we found out that Monobear has left a present related to the student's talent in each room. For example, I have been given a CD with music and Seirou-kun has found an ink container with a feather.

Sona Chigira: Huh? But that's weird! There was nothing like that in Luck-chan's room.

Seika Shiun: Why would there? I have no talent, so a present related to my talent would be ... nothing.

Sona Chigira: No! You're Super High School Level like all of us! So they should've at least given you dice or something.

Hiroshi Genma: Someone must have used a disappearance spell!

Takuya Izumo: It wasn't me.

Kaine Maiyumi: That is all we found. Helena-san, Hariken-san, Isotani-kun, what about you?

Kazumaru Isotani: Huh? What do you mean?

Kaine Maiyumi: I was asking what you found during your investigation.

Kazumaru Isotani: Investigation? Oh, oh, right. We tried to open the windows.

Misaki Hariken: There's no waaaay! These plates are even sturdier than the waaaaaaalls!

Helena Nevermind: And thicker than Izumo's head, too! So, we can't even use him as a battering ram. Isn't that just too bad~?

Takuya Izumo: ... No comment.

Kazumaru Isotani: Where else did we go again?

Misaki Hariken: The entraaaaaaance!

Helena Nevermind: This door is huge! Gigantic! Like that ship! Oh yeah, and it's one foot thick and made of metal. Aaaand there wasn't anything like a handle. 'Course, if we could just leave through the door, that would've been so boooooring!

Motomu Arisaka: Wait, I'm sure the door wasn't like that when I came in.

Helena Nevermind: Ace*Detective~!

Kazumaru Isotani: They must've built that while we were in the classroom.

Motomu Arisaka: But who? All of us were in the classroom. And according to Monobear, the mastermind is one of us, remember?

Misaki Hariken: They must've got something like an accompliiiiiiiiice!

Monobear: Nope!

Emaki Fudeoka: Waaaah! M-Monobear!

Seika Shiun: Iieeeeeeehh! Go away!!

Helena Nevermind: Hey Killerbear, what's up!

Monobear: I just came here to tell you that you're wrong. A 17th person hiding here - that'd be such a cheap plot device! Only second-rate "killerbears" do that! You bastards are most certainly the only living humans in this building.

Kian Takami: You could have done it, too. Or another robot.

Monobear: I was fast asleep the whole time until I spoke to you bastards, and there's no other robots anywhere here.The door was most certainly blocked by a human!

Kaine Maiyumi: How do we know that we can trust your words.

Monobear: I can't lie. That's part of my programming. After all, I have to make these mysteries fair for you bastards!

Emaki Fudeoka: B-But then how ...

Monobear: How about you bastards find that out for yourselves? I'm not gonna tell you everything in my lessons. Let's make this your homework. Bye!

As fast as he appeared, Monobear disappears again.

Sona Chigira: Detective-kun, do you have an dea?

Motomu Arisaka: It can't have been while we were introducing ourselves in classroom 05, as all the suspects have an alibi for that time. After that, some students were walking around alone. Hariken, how long after all of us left the classroom did you check out the entrance?

Misaki Hariken: Just a minuuute! That was the first thing we checked!

Motomu Arisaka: That's certainly not enough time to construct something like that. That leaves only before we met.

Joutarou Naiki: No way! I've got this all written down. When I came here, the door was just like any other door. And then I went right to the classroom. Everyone but Arisaka-kun was already there.

Helena Nevermind: That leaves only one that could've done it. Alibi, you better get yourself an alibi~!

Motomu Arisaka: Shiun, you can confirm I was lying unconscious in the hallway.

Seika Shiun: That's true.

Kizuna Kaeruda: You cannot have been there very long ... otherwise ... Naiki would have seen you ...

Hiroshi Genma: What if that was just an illusion by Arisaka-kun?

Joutarou Naiki: Yeah! After I came to the classroom, he blocked the door and then lay on the ground pretending to be unconscious so he wouldn't be suspected! The detective is the culprit - what a story!

Helena Nevermind: See, I told you Alibi was the mastermind!

Misaki Hariken: Arisaka-kun! Is this truuuuuueeeee?

Kazumaru Isotani: Why ... WHY DID YOU DO THIS!?

Motomu Arisaka: No! No! You've got that wrong!

Seika Shiun: Hey! Stop! You're jumping to conclusions!

Sona Chigira: Yeah! There's probably tons of other possibilities! Right, Detective-kun!

Motomu Arisaka: (I have to think ... if I don't solve this, they'll ...) The possibilities are certainly limited, but that doesn't mean there are none. This must have happened between Naiki entering the classroom and Shiun leaving it to wake me up. About how much later was that?

Minako Nishigo: Exactly 13 minutes and 27 seconds. And 6 minutes and 48 seconds after Shiun left, she came back with you.

Motomu Arisaka: How do you know that?

Minako Nishigo: I counted the seconds to use them for calculations.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... but ... there's no clock in the classroom ...

Minako Nishigo: I don't need a clock to know how long a second is.

Motomu Arisaka: I don't think that's enough time either. (Unless ... it was actually more time than they thought ... maybe ... Yes! That's it!) I've got it. What if I wasn't the only one unconscious? What if all of us were?

Sona Chigira: But ... I was fine the whole time! I'm sure!

Ryuuma Ikegoma: I am certain I missed no part of this match.

Misaki Hariken: Yeah! There's no waaaaay!

Motomu Arisaka: When I woke up, I was very confused. Even know, there are still gaps in my memory. I don't remember actually walking to where I was lying in the hallway - the last thing I remember before that is walking through the entrance gate. What if it's the same for you, and you forgot being unconscious? Here's my theory: Before you came to the classroom, the mastermind placed something like a container with gas causing unconsciousness in the classroom, and set a timer that would open it at 9, when all of us should be here. With AI robots around, this shouldn't be too far-fetched. When the timer went off, the mastermind protected themselves from the gas, possibly using a gas mask. For some reason I was late and not in the classroom yet, so they snuck up on me in the hallway to knock me out, too. Then they blocked the door and probably also did other preparations. After that, they went back to the classroom and waited for everyone to wake up.

Kazumaru Isotani: What? That's crazy!

Helena Nevermind: Wahahaha! I love ridiculously crazy theories~!

Motomu Arisaka: I know it sounds crazy, but it's the only possibility I can think of. And it's still more likely than me switching out the door for a huge metal thing within 13 minutes.

Seika Shiun: I'm sorry, but there's still a problem. If you were just late, how did you end up in front of the elevator? That's not on the way between the entrance and classroom 05.

Helena Nevermind: Obviously because he came from his top-secret mastermind hideout in the basement~!

Misaki Hariken: Hi-yeeeeaaaah! Arisaka's still suspiciouuuuuuus!

Motomu Arisaka: No! I probably just got lost. That must be why I was late, too.

Takuya Izumo: Getting lost on a route of ten meters? That does sound like you.

Motomu Arisaka: Anyway. With this method, anyone of us could have installed the metal door. This is the solution to this mystery!

Helena Nevermind: Fine, fine. Buuuut I still suspect you.

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... I really don't think it's Arisaka-kun ...

Seika Shiun: I agree. It didn't seem like he was lying when he woke up.

Kaine Maiyumi: Then let us proceed. Takami-kun, Kaeruda-san, Naiki-kun, what have you found in the library?

Kizuna Kaeruda: There were many ... interesting books ...

Motomu Arisaka: Like romance novels?

Joutarou Naiki: Hey! That's just because I want to interview the author. I always do as much research as possible before my interviews.

Takuya Izumo: Did you find something that's actually useful for all of us?

Kizuna Kaeruda: Yes ...

Joutarou Naiki: Yeah! There's books about almost everything! If you want to know something, just go to the library. Well, except if you want to know something about one of your classmates. I'm the expert there!

Kian Takami: I have many new plans for inventions. Like a bookshelf-moving-machine ...

Motomu Arisaka: A machine getting us out of here would be more useful.

Kian Takami: I'm already planning that ... but I need some explosives.

Kazumaru Isotani: You can't blow up the whole school!

Kizuna Kaeruda: I also found ... books on the history ... of this school ...

Seika Shiun: Oh, who cares. I bet they're leaving out the most important things anyway.

Kizuna Kaeruda: There were many interesting things written there ... what do you think is missing...?

Seika Shiun: Oh, probably all of this school's relation to The Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind.

Misaki Hariken: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

Joutarou Naiki: There's no way!

Motomu Arisaka: Are you saying this school ... has something to do with that?

Seika Shiun: Heh ... you truly know nothing about our history ... The Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind started with another incident: The Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Hope's Peak Academy. One student murdered thirteen others.

Motomu Arisaka: T-Thirteen!?

Kazumaru Isotani: Crazy! INSANE!

Seika Shiun: But there's something much more interesting for us. A year after The Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Hope's Peak Academy, a whole class of Hope's Peak Academy was locked in the school, and a certain bear told them the only way to get out is to kill. Out of the sixteen students, only six survived.

Emaki Fudeoka: Uwaaaah!

Misaki Hariken: This happened befooooooore?

Motomu Arisaka: So that's why you reacted like that when you saw Monobear?

Seika Shiun: Yes, that's right ... I know that, just like then, people will kill ... there's no hope ...

Joutarou Naiki: Who was behind that? It could be the same person this time!

Seika Shiun: An organization by the name of Super High School Level Despair, consisting entirely of students of Hope's Peak Academy. At the end of the first School Life of Mutual Killing, the group's leader died. Some time after that, the doings of Super High School Level Despair were put to an end. The organization is definitely gone. This time it can't be one of them.

Joutarou Naiki: Why didn't I hear of that?

Motomu Arisaka: I'm not too interested in history, but surely I'd have heard of this whole story!

Seika Shiun: If our generation knew about that, surely there's no way anyone would want to be a student at the new Hope's Peak Academy. That's why they covered it all up ...

Motomu Arisaka: Then how do you know this?

Seika Shiun: I just gave my best. Because I'm a big fan of Hope's Peak Academy.

Motomu Arisaka: And even after all of this, you're still a fan and even came here?

Seika Shiun: Real fans don't just stop being fans because they find out some things ... and it wasn't this school's fault anyway. It was the fault of Super High School Level Despair only.

Kizuna Kaeruda: Then ... now that the organization is gone ... why is this happening again...?

Seika Shiun: I don't know ... I just know that there's no way they'll let us out here without playing by their rules. And that means killing. And don't try to tell me that you'd rather stay in this school forever. It might seem like that for a few weeks ... maybe months ... but in the end someone will become weak. It's always been like that ...

Sona Chigira: Luck-chan, please calm down!

Hiroshi Genma: I doubt she will. She's been like that the whole time ...

Sona Chigira: There's definitely a way! What you told us is really helpful. And just because it went badly once, that doesn't mean it'll be the same now. We're all different people. And there's also the new rule that all of us get out if we find the mastermind. I'm sure - as long as we have hope, there will be a way!

Seika Shiun: Hehe ...

Kaine Maiyumi: Well said, Chigira-san. Now let us continue. Have you found anything else of interest in the library?

Joutarou Naiki: Oh, yes! There's this secret passage Ikegoma-kun and Arisaka-kun found.

Kaine Maiyumi: Secret passage?

Motomu Arisaka: There was a door hidden behind a bookshelf. We moved the shelf, so now you can use the door all you like.

Joutarou Naiki: What's behind that? Tell me! That'll be a real scoop!

Motomu Arisaka: Behind the door is the second floor of the dormitory area.

Ryuuma Ikegoma: There are fifteen additional fields. However, they are empty. As the bear piece said, we are the only players inside this building.

Motomu Arisaka: There are no name plates either. Also, we found the door to the staircase on the first floor of the dormitory area can be opened, but just from the staircase side.

Kaine Maiyumi: Very interesting information. That should be everything then, unless Nishigo-san and Izumo-kun have anything to contribute. Nishigo-san. Did you find something inside classroom 05?

Minako Nishigo: Two hundred fourty-five thousand three hundred seventy-nine is three times two hundred sixty-three times three hundred eleven.

Kaine Maiyumi: I assume that means no. What about you, Izumo-kun?

Takuya Izumo: I found something. On the way to my room, I noticed the storage room and went there to look for some valuable things. The only thing that will be useful for us is a large tool kit. But there's something else that's very interesting. Look what I found.

Izumo holds up what looks like a dozen small pieces of plastic with something written on them.

Takuya Izumo: These are probably the missing name plates from the second floor.

Sona Chigira: Huh? But if there are no other students, then they should be no other name plates, right?

Seika Shiun: We are definitely the only class.

Takuya Izumo: Then who do you think these fifteen people are, the cleaning staff?

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... maybe they're teachers ...

Takuya Izumo: Fortunately, there's a way to find that out. After all, one of you should know one of these people. Arisaka. What can you tell us about ... Akemi Arisaka?

Motomu Arisaka: Akemi!? That's ... that's impossible! She's not even in high school yet!

Ryuuma Ikegoma: Is she your sister?

Motomu Arisaka: Yeah ... but there's no way she has anything to do with this school. She's much too young. She'll only go to high school next year.

Sona Chigira: Maybe they decided to add an extra class with younger students.

Seika Shiun: I would've heard of that.

Motomu Arisaka: So would I, of course. She wouldn't keep that a secret. Also, she doesn't have any special talent ...

Kizuna Kaeruda: What about ... luck...?

Seika Shiun: There's only one Super High School Level Good Luck each year.

Motomu Arisaka: There's definitely no way that my sister is at this school!

Takuya Izumo: I have something else. My present from that bear is a set of lock picks. Using these, we can break into the rooms on the second floor and look for clues there.

Sona Chigira: But that'd be mean ... breaking into others' private rooms ...

Takuya Izumo: According to that bear, they're not here, so why should they mind? We won't tell them, obviously. So, let's go.

Monobear: No way! Nowaynowaynowaynowaynoway!

Seika Shiun: No ... no ...

Kian Takami: Ah! It's the robot again!

Monobear: Half of you bastards still don't know my name! That's not how you treat your headmaster. It's Monobear! Remember it already!

Kaine Maiyumi: Monobear. What is your reason for coming here?

Monobear: I'm here to tell you bastards about another important rule: It's absolutely forbidden to break into the rooms on the second floor of the dormitory area! And just like with any other rule, if you break it, you will be punished. You all remember what the punishment is, right?

Seika Shiun: Yes ...

Motomu Arisaka: So ... there's something hidden on the second floor that Monobear really doesn't want us to see.

Helena Nevermind: That's cheap! A proper mystery lets you get all the clues! You're so boooring!

Monobear: But giving you bastards clues that give all of it would be more than just cheap. That would be boring. Boringboringboring! Isn't that right~!

Helena Nevermind: Hey, stop imitating me!

Monobear: But imitating is so much fun~! Not boring at all!

Helena Nevermind: D'you wanna challenge me? I gotta warn you, I know how to deal with zombie killer teddy bears!

Monobear: Violence against the headmaster is strictly forbidden. I don't want to have to punish any of you bastards that early. That's lame! That's something second-rate bears do!

Motomu Arisaka: With second-rate bear, does he mean ...

Seika Shiun: Probably the first Monobear. Looks like this one isn't too fond of him.

Monobear: Correct! The former headmaster should have made you the Super High School Detective instead. You're so much better than Arisaka-kun, who couldn't even solve my homework.

Motomu Arisaka: So my theory was wrong?

Monobear: Completely off! F for failure! As wrong as five hundred ninety-three being divisible by eleven.

Motomu Arisaka: Then how did the mastermind do it?

Monobear: You think I'd tell you that? I don't know most of it anyway. As I said, I was fast asleep when that happened. I know what the plan was, but something apparently went wrong, making this whole thing so much more interesting!

Motomu Arisaka: (Something went wrong...? Could that have something to do with why I was the only one who passed out in the hallway?)

Monobear: Still, I know one important thing that explains all the riddles you've encountered today. A real Super High School Level Detective should be able to figure it out. If you do, I'll give all of you bastards a reward! But that will have to wait. After all, it's now 10 PM, the start of night time. Please be good students and go to your rooms. See you bastards tomorrow!

As usual, Monobear disappears into thin air.

Kaine Maiyumi: We should do as he said. Let us go to our rooms and have the sleep we need. We can still think about these mysteries tomorrow.

Misaki Hariken: Alright! G'niiiiiiiiiight!

Sona Chigira: Good night, everyone!

Motomu Arisaka: Night.

Helena Nevermind: I wish you a good night and pleasant dreams. Of killer zomby bears~! Wahaha!

Kasetsu Seirou: The world of unlimited fantasy awaits us.

Joutarou Naiki: A reporter doesn't sleep when there's information waiting to be found!

Helena Nevermind: If you try to spy on me I'll show you what I've learned in my favorite movies.

Hiroshi Genma: Nightus startus! Insomnia disappearus!

Takuya Izumo: That's the best spells I've ever heard.

Hiroshi Genma: Thank you!

Takuya Izumo: Is sarcasm not magic enough for you to understand?

Kazumaru Isotani: Hey, good night, everyone.

Kaine Maiyumi: I wish all of you a good night.

Seika Shiun: Good night ... if you can sleep ...

Kian Takami: I should invent a sleeping machine!

Emaki Fudeoka: Um ... good night ...

Kizuna Kaeruda: Good ... night ...

Minako Nishigo: A to the power of e times π ...

I go to my room. It looks quite comfortable with a large bed, a desk, a closet with some clothes in my size, a shelf and even its own bathroom. On the desk, I find a bottle of luminol, a magnifying lens and a note that says, "What could be the present for the Super High School Level Detective if not a detective kit? The fingerprint powder is missing because that would make everything much too easy. Have fun! - Monobear."
After closely examining my room, I go to bed, but with all my worries about this situation, the many mysteries and Shiun, who didn't seem to take this too well, I can barely find any sleep.

Monobear Theater

Monobear: Thanks for reading this! Go leave the author a comment! Yes, I like breaking the fourth wall. Isn't it just more fun if one of the characters in a piece of fiction is aware of being fictional and leans on the fourth wall all the time, while the rest is utterly confused? It can be a great source of comic relief, or bring the one character who knows that they're just a character lots and lots of despair! After all, this must be an even worse feeling than being an AI bear, knowing you don't even really exist outside of some crazy seventeen-year-old video game fangirl author's fantasy. Now both at the same time is even better! That's why I like it so much! Oh, this wonderful despair! Despair, despair, despair, I am Monobear! Now usually the author would put another name there instead of "I", but I can assure you they're not Monobear! I'm the one and only Monobear there is, and I'm in no way related to someone from a ninja anime. Anyway, enjoy the rest of this fanfiction! And by enjoy I mean despair!
Last edited by Evo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Re: DR fanfiction: Return of the Despair Academy [DR1 spoile

Post by kwando1313 »

Yes! You finally posted this~ <3

Also, HelenaXMonobear, OTP.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

Izumo is the best character. Much better than got's thief... :needlessinsult:

Total times sued: 10328
Singidava
Spoken languages: Suomi, English & 日本語

Post by Singidava »

Have you thought of making this fanfiction into VN form when it's finished? I mean, you already have basic sprites and the fic is very dialogue based which would make a good VN. All you'd need are background art and music!
Also nice to see you posting in English section again~
Mono
Spoken languages: German, English

Post by Mono »

I'm liking it so far. Chigira and Maiyumi. <3

Also, I agree with Singi, you could probably make this VN form when it's done. I'd totally help.
Mo!

Post by Mo! »

Looks great. The characters are interesting and the pics pretty good. I want some murders. ...and executions ...upupupupu
Spoiler : 999 spoilers :
Sona, put that axe down. :awesome:
SHSL Mathematician and Inventor OP Go, kill them with prime numbers!
Profi-Wolf
GuardianDreamer
Spoken languages: English, Spanish

Post by GuardianDreamer »

This seems good so far, but I can't really give any proper criticism since this is just the beginning. So for now, please keep up the good work. I would like to say that some of the dialogue felt a bit awkward at times, but it wasn't too noticeable, so that can be forgiven.
Hosted The Year of Luigi competition (and here's the awards ceremony).
Current AAO projects (to be completed eventually, probably, hopefully): A Silly Little Dream (hopefully 2024), My Dearest Direst Disgrace (hopefully 2025)
Stuff I've made on here: QotU
Make My Life Worse
Malleus Maleficarum: The Witch of San Ignacio
The Six Transgender Lesbian Goddesses of Love Are Having A Petty Argument, So They Try To Settle Things Alongside The Three Transgender Gay Gods of Flavor
Defend Him, Not Me!
The Guardian and the Dreamer
I was a guest judge and did a bit of writing for the TICKING TIME BOMB competition.
My Twitter is here
Avatar is of Marth from Fire Emblem, commissioned from @PiyoStoria on Twitter.
DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

I'm liking this so far! I don't have any favorites just yet except maybe Hiroshi, but I'm a sucker for magician characters.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
DeeYo
Spoken languages: Hungarian, English, some Russian, Spanish, German

Post by DeeYo »

Detective Luke Atmey wrote:I'm liking this so far! I don't have any favorites just yet except maybe Hiroshi, but I'm a sucker for magician characters.
Wizard. It's SHSL or SDHSWizard. (A much larger difference than the one between Magician and Illusionist, mind you.)

Total times sued: 10328
Evo

Post by Evo »

Chapter 1, part 1 out!
It's quite short because there's a choice at the end (with a poll).

Also, all character profiles are now done. I've edited them into the OP, so check out the prologue again too.
Gav
Spoken languages: English, Chez Swedish

Post by Gav »

Spoiler : Survivor Predictions, Mastermind Prediction, First Death Prediction :
I'm lovin' this so far.

Survivor Predictions: Protag of course

Helena Nevermind (With her personality, it'd seem like a letdown if she did anything but survive)

Takuya Izumo (We need a Togami-esque character to survive)

Kazumari Isotani (I think having a character with short-term memory loss could be developed very well, so he at least should survive to Chapter 4...)

Minako Nishigo (Fukawa braids! Not much more to say.)

Kizuna Kaeruda (And that rounds out the personality spectrum.)

I think Sona Chigira will die first. It seems like a Fatogami situation.

I think the mastermind is Joutarou Naiki, only because he's a journalist and he seems like he knows the most about everyone in the school. Probably not the mastermind, but eh.
gotMLK7 wrote:This is a list where NBA Jam beats Mega Man 2.

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
Evo

Post by Evo »

Chapter 1, part 2 out.

No poll this time, but instead this is a long part with lots of new info.
kwando1313
Spoken languages: English, Français (un peu), Ancient Belkan

Post by kwando1313 »

Dat Monobear Theatre.

"The Knight of the Iron Hammer, Vita, and the Steel Count, Graf Eisen. There's nothing in this world we can't destroy."