Art2002 (UPDATE 2014-11-09)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

Gamer2002

Re: Art2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Shading is stylized, I'm artistically emphasize on Kristoph being an embodiment of darkness ;P
Nearavex
Spoken languages: English

Post by Nearavex »

Something about this hand looks weird, as if instead of right hand it was left hand bent backwards.
Av by ticcy
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Gamer2002 wrote:I shall call this piece "Angel meets the devil".
Spoiler : :
What if you reversed the gradient on the ground so it's lighter toward the bottom-right corner of the screen?

The hand and arm also follow the contour of the shadow so they blend together and look like they're on the same level instead of one being higher. Point the shadow toward her to create more visual lines toward her expression and the piece will be stronger. Right now the eye is being drawn to the shadow and the hand because of contrast, directed towards the door (drawing unnecessary attention to the background), and the corner of the door tangents across her head.

Afterthought edit: Sorry about the harsh tone earlier, man. There's just something bugging me about the picture that I haven't managed to pinpoint yet and I didn't mean to let it show. I do like the perspective and the composition, and don't think the lineart is the problem. It feels like a picture that should be "great" but is only stuck in "nice", so kind of frustrating.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

eye is being drawn
Welp.
That was one thing I completely forgot to think about.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Gamer2002 wrote:
eye is being drawn
Welp.
That was one thing I completely forgot to think about.
Funnily enough, that was the one thing I'd just finished studying when you posted it. So interesting timing's going on there, you could say :)

It's mainly contrast and graphic lines primarily letting the picture down, I think, since her face, the shadow and the hand are the most important parts of the picture, so reducing the attention grabbing from the rest of it out by using similar colours or thinner lines would bring those out more. Contrast because the door's pretty obvious with the light floor and wall around it - also, I suggested inverting the gradient because it would be lighter near the base of the shadow due to light sources, I think. Hmm.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

New version.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Gamer2002 wrote:New version.
Nice. I would go extremely dramatic and add more shadows personally since I think AA cutscene pictures tend to be extremely dramatic, but it's pretty nice.

Question: Do you flip your picture while you're drawing?
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Sometimes, but not in case of any picture here.

For drawing I'm using Manga Studio EX and it has one annoying thing about flipping pictures - it makes fine lines look like pixelated mess if you are not on zooms like 25%, 50%, 100%, especially below 50%.

But at last with this program you can very easily set perspective.
Kroki
Admin
Spoken languages: Français, English, Español, 日本語

Post by Kroki »

The composition is nice. However, be careful with tangents, there is one with the hand that touches the bottom of the wall. Just put it some pixels down and it will give more impact to the hand.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Okay folks, it's finally vacations time, so I can fully focus on my hobby projects. Expect things to come, SOON.

For now, new versions of all old poses. Looking back at them I wasn't exactly happy with few things (evil laugh was kinda off for me and not evil enough, for a lean-on-table pose table was covering so much of body it seemed she was kneeling in front of it, I had to minimize color palette and some details didn't match...). So anyway, new on the left, old on the right.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

I started making you a feedback sheet thing but got a bit carried away and off-topic because it was fun doodling. oops.

Anyway, here's the link if you want it XD I hope I gave her an "appropriate" expression...
Hm... There's something off about the way the colours have been reduced. Just by observation - I haven't checked this, correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't look like the palette is the same across the set. There need to be some more intermediate blending tones since the outlines are really sharp right now.

edit: forgot to mention- good to hear you're back to do some more work, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. :)
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Hm... There's something off about the way the colours have been reduced. Just by observation - I haven't checked this, correct me if I'm wrong - but it doesn't look like the palette is the same across the set.
Impossibru.
I used 2 prepared palettes, one with 21 colors, other with additional 2 colors for poses with open mouth. Color reduction was handled by Photoshop.
There need to be some more intermediate blending tones since the outlines are really sharp right now.
I will handle such finishing touches later on. First I need to make the poses, next to animate them. Making outlines less sharp will be covered with poses updates during trials making :P
Right now I just want to have them done decently enough and finish the first case.

As for feedback
Impossible shirt
First rule of anime clothes designs: you don't question anime clothes designs.
Hips

About one and half of head's width when arms are 2 heads, Loomis told me so I actually got instructions wrong and it was supposed to width long as one and half of head's height. Explains why Angela is so anorectic comparing to Mia. Anyway you are not supposed to see them under the table ;P

Rest is right, though.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Gamer2002 wrote:I used 2 prepared palettes, one with 21 colors, other with additional 2 colors for poses with open mouth. Color reduction was handled by Photoshop.
Okay. :oops:
In that case, having a proper look, the issue is that there aren't enough blues for her clothes and such so Photoshop ends up anti-aliasing using the eye colour and the collar colour.
Gamer2002 wrote:
Impossible shirt
First rule of anime clothes designs: you don't question anime clothes designs.
Still... given the way it is in the current sprites, it's way too low. I'd concede it if they were tight pants or shorts, since skirts don't have a supporting inseam like they do. Literally the only thing keeping her skirt up now is magic since the skirt and belt look pretty heavy. Can I ask you what that line (located below what's the rib cage line, above the belt and to the right of the hand) is meant to be?

The shirt comment was because it's probably really uncomfortable just wearing whatever she's wearing without a shirt underneath it. Coupled with the skirt so low, I just feel bad for her instead of thinking she's attractive and/or sexy.
Eh, character design is ultimately up to you though, I'm just nitpicking according to my way XD
Gamer2002 wrote:
Hips

About one and half of head's width when arms are 2 heads, Loomis told me so I actually got instructions wrong and it was supposed to width long as one and half of head's height. Explains why Angela is so anorectic comparing to Mia. Anyway you are not supposed to see them under the table ;P
Oh okay. The pelvis just didn't look turned-out to me the way they're currently drawn. And yeah oops, I guess that's true too XD

I'd say her anorexia is because she's missing some internal organs though, since a stomach shouldn't really curve inwards like that I don't think, since there would be some abdominal muscle mass beneath the skin...

Loomis explains the ear though, he does have a tendency to draw it pretty far back. tbh, I think life drawing and constructing your own observations would be more appropriate for your skill level instead of following his guides. Feel free to do what you want though.
Gamer2002

Post by Gamer2002 »

Alright, alright, I'll think of something before trial's public release ;P

Anyway, new dosage.
Spoiler : slightly modified version of meeting KG :
Spoiler : remake of childhood trauma :
Drawing this like a nightmare scene allows to get away with bending time and space.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Gamer2002 wrote:Alright, alright, I'll think of something before trial's public release ;P

Anyway, new dosage.
Spoiler : slightly modified version of meeting KG :
Spoiler : remake of childhood trauma :
Drawing this like a nightmare scene allows to get away with bending time and space.
DUTCH ANGLES EVERYWHERE