Gordon Vance- Arty Party (Taking requests)

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

GordonVance
Spoken languages: English, learning German and Japanese.

Gordon Vance- Arty Party (Taking requests)

Post by GordonVance »

Decided to start an art thread. I am taking requests but i wont take them all. Feel free to use my sprites but please give credit.
all sprites made so far.
if you want animated versions just ask!!
Last edited by Tap on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Dahlia sprite removed due to sprite theft
Credit to rajin and capcom and me!!
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Re: Gordon Vance- Arty Party (Taking requests)

Post by E.D.Revolution »

Hmm, these are okay attempts of your sprites. They're... not good, shall I say.

Frankenspriting isn't just a matter of putting one's head on another body. It involves cleaning up the sprite as well. These look like it took only five seconds to do. Take your time to get the sprites right. I would suggest you read up on here to get an idea on how to frankensprite as well as clean up the sprite. For an even more basic guide, look here. You have a long way to go before these sprites could be useable.
Spoiler : Specific criticism :
  • Ron DeMight: Resizing bases is a HUGE no-no. Resizing Tigre's body doesn't work, as now the body is too small for his head. Replacing Tigre's chest with that of Will Powers is okay. But the issue now is that Ron has no neck. Combined with the awful resizing of Furio's body, and this does not work. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Marvin White: Definitely does not work. The proportions are way off. Co-council Grossberg's body is way too big for Redd White's body. In fact, the skin tone on the two sets aren't consistent. And Grossberg has no neck. I know naturally he has no neck but you need one here. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Luke Newman: Save as a bitmap? CAPITAL OFFENSE! NEVER SAVE AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN PNG OR GIF! Luke's body is missing his other hand. And Matt's head is way too small for this. Also, needs a neck, and the dimensions are wrong. Sensing a theme here?
  • Trulie Misham: Head is way too big for young Vera's body. Does not need a neck, surprisingly. However, the neck needs to be widened since Young Trucy's head is wide. But she needs a chin and a jaw. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Dahlia Hawthrone: Actually one of the better ones, only because less needed to be done. I can still see that she's holding the stem of her parasol. And the magatama needs cleaning up before pasting on to Dahlia. I would suggest recoloring the Magatama to suit her personality. Because she was positioned incorrectly, it appears that part of her hair got lopped off. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Ontra Puner: Apollo's head needs to be positioned higher. His hair needs texture. The visor... On Godot, it's hard to see but there's actually more than one shade of light. He needs a neck. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Vera Andrews: Again, one of your better sprites. I'm not sure what you did to the neck. But Adrian's head needs to be placed slightly higher since her head is wide compared to the body. Because of her wide face, the neck needs widening. Now part of her hair is lopped off, so you need to fill it in. I think you also accidentally lopped off part of the notebook. And the dimensions are wrong.
  • Budee Fall: SAVED AS JPG?! CAPITAL OFFENSE! This is actually probably one of your most successful sprites. The hair needs more shades. Two shades of yellow is not enough. And try to match the skin tones from Valerie and Adrian. And the dimensions are wrong.
As you can see, ALL of your sprites have the wrong dimensions. You do need to fix that. And if you're already using them in your trials, I suggest you take it out and redo them. Having the wrong dimensions automatically means it's not useable in a trial. But more than that, all of your sprites need redoing. Most of these have the same problems as eachother.

Take you time doing the sprites. These things take time to do correctly. If you need an example of what a good frankensprite looks like, look over here. On the second sprite, ignore the fact that the skin shades weren't consistent. That sprite was used as a demonstration.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'd add my own criticisms, but EDs posts suffice enough
GordonVance

Post by GordonVance »

Ron DeMight: Ill see what i can do.
Marvin White: Meant to do that
Luke Newman: Save as a bitmap? CAPITAL OFFENSE! NEVER SAVE AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN PNG OR GIF!( sorry bout that.) Luke is only meant to have one hand because i wated to use him in my trial as a killer/ One-handed guitarist/ one-handed pianist.
Trulie Misham: Ill see if i can get to it.
Dahlia Hawthrone: Thanks for the compliment.
Ontra Puner: actually not appolo's head!! There is muliple shades (two in fact, like the original). He has got a neck(look closer).
Vera Andrews: I'm not sure whats with the neck either. The notebook thing was accidntal but the hair was on purpose. I thouht she could use a new hair style but it didnt work out how i wanted it too. :larry:
Budee Fall: I actually used four hair tones but they obviously to similar.
P.s What do you mean by the dimensions are wrong. Also I'm surprised you didnt criticise the fact that (on the tigerette) tigre's had is kinda floating. (working on that!! :diego: )

New sprite.(not finished yet)
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

For luke, how about replacing that missing hand with some prostetics or leave it as a stub.
Ontra: then I must've mistaken something. Still, neck is way too short and too small with Gant's body is a base.
Vera Andrews: If you wanted a new style, frankenspriting is your friend.
Budee: Yeah, you need darker shades of yellow. First time spriters make this mistake a lot, especially on yellow.

On Tigrette, I honestly didn't either see it or I skipped over it. Good catch.

Dimensions of standard witness sprites are 256 x 192 pixels. With the witness squarely at the bottom center portion of the screen.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

^Dimensions of a DS screensize is 256 x 192 ;P
GordonVance

Post by GordonVance »

Ok... update.

The new sprite i havent finishedImage

Fixer ontra panur (euntrapnuener, get it.) Image

and fixed tigerete Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also could some one plz post a request 4 me??? :gumshoe: :gumshoe: :larry:
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

...You don't see that weird skin tone inconsistency by yourself?
Tear
Spoken languages: Français, English

Post by Tear »

I think this one have two skin colors, but I'm not completely sure.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

While the Tigre idea is a funny one, I'm really disappointed you pretty much ignored all the feedbacks everyone here provided you (well, mainly ED). It could have been REALLY executed better (and the skin tone isn't even the worse part, but the neck pixellations)
GordonVance

Post by GordonVance »

( kind suprised no-one's requested anything... :( )
Ok..

might not be the best artist but i like constructive critisism. If someone could help me decide whaT i should do with krisver Gavin and the tigerette. ( i dont see what so bad a bout Mr. Angry Not-so-strong)

Older version self-sprite(not very good):Image (Credit to Mikker from CR)
Last edited by GordonVance on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Dataman~
Spoken languages: English and finnish.

Post by ~Dataman~ »

The face and other body are strictly different skin color on Tigrette Please fix. I would prefer 'his' face colored with the body's color.
My DeviantArt My Youtube Channel
Anime is awesome! Watch my Anime Sword Techniques series in my Youtube channel! Currently I have covered Gatotsu, Yontoryu, Santoryu, Hiten Mitsurugi, Seven Swords Dance, Wattoujutsu, Scissorblade, Kamiya Kasshin and more is coming! :)

My Art Thread
Koda
Spoken languages: English

Post by Koda »

GordonVance wrote:( kind suprised no-one's requested anything... :( )
...lol

Please don't take this the wrong way Gordon, but your sprites consistently have certain mistakes that give them a feel of inexperience.
The things that I'm talking about are stray pixels, pieces from different sprites not fitting together, odd anatomy, and just in general awkward looking places.
I think before you do requests you should really focus first on improving your sprites, or at least fixing these mistakes which have appeared in all of your works.

Just my two cents.
GordonVance

Post by GordonVance »

Thank you koda. At the start of the thread i said that i am taking requests but will turn some down and that will still stand until the end, of, time. :larry: The thing with the tigerette is i wanted there to be two skin colours. 1. it's easy 2. im lazy and 3. i like the way it looks.
Koda
Spoken languages: English

Post by Koda »

GordonVance wrote:1. it's easy 2. im lazy and 3. i like the way it looks.
If you want to see any improvement in your spriting, then these really aren't very good philosophies to have. :wink: