Novaraven747's Sprites, Music, Ect.

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

What Palette should I used for Jacob?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Original Palette
67%
Idea 1
11%
Idea 2
22%
Idea 3
No votes
Other (If you picked this option, then why not post on the thread what palette you had in mind?)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Novaraven747
Spoken languages: English and Google Translate XD

Novaraven747's Sprites, Music, Ect.

Post by Novaraven747 »

So... Uh hi! I'm Novaraven and this is my Thread for my Art, Music, Ect. I don't do art that often but if anything turns up in my brain then I'll post it. So not much more to say then enjoy.

(We now have a Bench Sprite for Matthew!! Yay!!)
Spoiler : Credit booth :
- Tear
For the palette and graphical overhaul. Much appreciated!
- mercurialSK
For helping with the last little bits of the Normal bench sprite
Spoiler : Character Sprites :
Any sprites not animated or complete, I give permission for the AAO Community to animate or complete the sprite(s) as they see fit. I will credit you for the help. ~ Novaraven747 ~
Image Matthew Brookes (Original Character) [Incomplete and Serious WIP]
Image Image

Animations

Normal (Front) Image
Talking (Front) Image

Normal (Bench) Image

Zoe Dovetail (Original Character) [May do more sprites.]
ImageImage
Spoiler : Trial Sprites :
Any sprites not animated or complete, I give permission for the AAO Community to animate or complete the sprite(s) as they see fit. I will credit you for the help. ~ Novaraven747 ~

VS Sprites

If you want a VS Sprite done just ask, tell me the characters you want in it and where you want them.
Spoiler : Evidence :
Picnic Basket
(Made a Picnic Basket, Requested by Apollo Grimoire. Where he uses it or not is up to him. but i thought I'd put it here anyway ;) )
Last edited by Novaraven747 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 28 times in total.
"Looking into the spirit of others is sometimes like looking into a pond. Though we aim to see what's deep in the bottom, we are often distracted by our own reflection." - Novaraven747
"Strive to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat." - Boots Williams
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Re: Novaraven747's Sprites, Music, Ect.

Post by mercurialSK »

Hey, welcome :)
Novaraven747 wrote:This is my first attempt at making a sprite. but its still incomplete as I find a real struggle in making or frankenspriting hair.
Hair can be pretty difficult at first. What's the source of your struggle? Are you using any references?
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

mercurialSK wrote:Hey, welcome :)
Novaraven747 wrote:This is my first attempt at making a sprite. but its still incomplete as I find a real struggle in making or frankenspriting hair.
Hair can be pretty difficult at first. What's the source of your struggle? Are you using any references?
Pretty much everything. Also i think i may have made the head a little disproportionate? do you agree?
"Looking into the spirit of others is sometimes like looking into a pond. Though we aim to see what's deep in the bottom, we are often distracted by our own reflection." - Novaraven747
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Novaraven747 wrote:Pretty much everything. Also i think i may have made the head a little disproportionate? do you agree?
Eh. It's true that the top of the skull should probably be a bit higher, but that doesn't matter once you add the hair in.

I'm going to assume you're using that ref in your avatar and also assume you're trying to draw outlines. Instead of drawing outlines, draw in blobs of colour. In other words, instead of filling in a shape, draw that shape directly. Also, try to find real references (photos) that have a correct angle and vaguely accurate enough lighting instead of referencing from illustrations, because while illustrations are usable they aren't really helpful.

This is unrelated to the hair issue but a tie shouldn't end above the first button of a suit, ties usually fall to the stomach, so it should keep going.
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

mercurialSK wrote:
Novaraven747 wrote:Pretty much everything. Also i think i may have made the head a little disproportionate? do you agree?
Eh. It's true that the top of the skull should probably be a bit higher, but that doesn't matter once you add the hair in.

I'm going to assume you're using that ref in your avatar and also assume you're trying to draw outlines. Instead of drawing outlines, draw in blobs of colour. In other words, instead of filling in a shape, draw that shape directly. Also, try to find real references (photos) that have a correct angle and vaguely accurate enough lighting instead of referencing from illustrations, because while illustrations are usable they aren't really helpful.

This is unrelated to the hair issue but a tie shouldn't end above the first button of a suit, ties usually fall to the stomach, so it should keep going.
Ah ok ill give that a go and see what happens. also ill edit the sprite in due course.
I gave it a go and came up trumps also ive adjusted the sprite and added a badge to him.
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

My, My i haven't posted in some time.
Well Here's something I worked/ I'm working on. It's a very basic Frankensprite but i do plan to potter about with it and make it unnoticeable and good... that's the theory anyway.
I've codenamed him Matthew Brookes.

It possibly obvious what parts I've used but if it isn't then here:
The Hair is a Combination of Edgeworth's Hair (All of it) and Godot's Hair (Erased parts of the hair.)
The rest is all Apollo.

Like i said it's very basic but i do plan to improve it dramatically as i go along.
If you have any tips or ideas on improving this sprite then feel free to tell me.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Try varying the range of values in the palette instead of just the range of colours. By 'value' I mean the art term referring to the amount of light and dark... it's a little hard to tell with colours, so I tried doing a quick mock-up thing:
The top-right is the grayscale version of the sprite, and because the values are all around the same even though they're contrasting colours, the clothes look really bland. The lower row is a really quick thing just to give an example of what a bigger range of values could look like. A bigger range makes it more interesting. (Sorry if this doesn't make much sense... searching 'value element of art' or something might help more)

On another note, the hairline looks a little low or unblended or something..
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

mercurialSK wrote:Try varying the range of values in the palette instead of just the range of colours. By 'value' I mean the art term referring to the amount of light and dark... it's a little hard to tell with colours, so I tried doing a quick mock-up thing:
The top-right is the grayscale version of the sprite, and because the values are all around the same even though they're contrasting colours, the clothes look really bland. The lower row is a really quick thing just to give an example of what a bigger range of values could look like. A bigger range makes it more interesting. (Sorry if this doesn't make much sense... searching 'value element of art' or something might help more)

On another note, the hairline looks a little low or unblended or something..
I see what you mean. It does look a little bland. as for the hair line I was going to try and blend that in at some point but at this moment in time the Sprite is serious WIP so it may change but again thanks for the help I'll see what i can do.

This is a more up to date version. The hair has been cleaned up a little and blended. and the element value palette should have more range. I'm guessing this is what you were suggesting mercurialSK?
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

That blue is WAY too bright. Like it's actually kind of jarring to look at.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Post by Lind »

Yeah, you seem to have misunderstood. The idea is to change the shades of one colour, rather than changing the entirety of one colour to make it lighter than another colour.
VirtAnderson

Post by VirtAnderson »

Also, the new blue lacks contrast between its own shades. You have to remember to have contrast with the whole picture and also have contrast within an individual color's shades.
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

So I went back to my original Sprite and edited it accordingly. I'm hoping this is what you meant.
mercurialSK

Post by mercurialSK »

Novaraven747 wrote:So I went back to my original Sprite and edited it accordingly. I'm hoping this is what you meant.
Sorry for getting back to this late. Yeah, like Lind and Virt said, it's about varying the contrast between the different colours and the contrast in the same shades too. Contrast basically makes things interesting and draws attention to stuff, so in this one the face really pops because everything else is darker. The grayscale thing was just to kind of show that better since colours can make things look relatively brighter or darker when they're actually the same, so grayscale is good for just showing how light or dark things are. Sorry for any confusion.
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

So some new sprites. They're only small Court sprites but they're still something.
Spoiler : Court Sprites :
Apollo Justic Courtroom SpriteImage
Phoenix Wright Courtroom Sprite Image
There wasn't really a lot I had to do with this. Just a recolour of Apollo and a bit of hair replacement and adjusting (The adjustment is so minimal you probably wont even recognise it. XD).
Novaraven747

Post by Novaraven747 »

Ok! Finally a new update. This is the WIP sprite I'm currently working on For Matthew. It's taken me months to get this far... :random: All thatleft to be done is the Hair, eyebrow and maybe a tiny mouth edit, which I am currently working on.

but apart from that... I'm finally glad I can put something up. Once this sprite is near completion I'll create some more front sprites as well as a talking sprite for this one. but More bench sprites are possibly going to be a loooooooong time until I can get "efficient" at doing them. :nod:

If you have any edits you think i should make or notice some detail that doesn't look right then please speak up. The quicker I find it the quicked I can fix it. :wellington: