Mia Fey HD?

Showcase your artistic creations, whether that be sprites, music, drawings or literature, and whether they be related to the Ace Attorney universe or not.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

VirusCollector

Mia Fey HD?

Post by VirusCollector »

Hello, I've been noticing recently that there's quite a number of trials featuring Mia, YoungMia to be exact. Unfortunately, her 16-color sprite is often paired with the much prettier AJ courtroom, so she looks a bit out of place. I noticed that there's "HD art" of Mia on Court-Records, so I made a comparison here:

So, my question is this: is there interest enough in these HD sprites that people would use them if I made them?

It wouldn't be too much effort to make some a script to automatically resize all the HD art. Assembling them all into animations, however, would probably be the annoying part, since they seem to have rather particular timings.

On a side note, where does this HD art come from, anyway? There's some interesting subtle differences when I do a simple resize, giving her sort of a sharper, hard-lined look. If I knew something more about the processes used to make the original, I could probably replicate the softer lines, but I doubt that sort of thing is known.
Lind
Trustworthy Spriter
Spoken languages: Yes.

Re: Mia Fey HD?

Post by Lind »

VirusCollector wrote:On a side note, where does this HD art come from, anyway?
The HD port on Android/Wii/soon to be 3DS.
E.D.Revolution
Spoken languages: English and decent Spanish

Post by E.D.Revolution »

If you wish to convert HD into AJ style, by all means go for it. I personally don't have a use for it (I still use the PW Trilogy court, I'm an old soul) but for those who want it, they may find it useful.

If someone could make older Mia, then I would be very intersted.
mercurialSK
Spoken languages: English

Post by mercurialSK »

VirusCollector wrote:There's some interesting subtle differences when I do a simple resize, giving her sort of a sharper, hard-lined look. If I knew something more about the processes used to make the original, I could probably replicate the softer lines, but I doubt that sort of thing is known.
The difference in sharpness with the lineart is because the original sprite is most likely resized from an original that has coloured outlines. The HD sprites are really just low-budget traces, so their linework isn't really well done. I also suspect the original image was a different dimension compared to the HD one too. And then the difference in the smoothness in the suit is due to the colour palette chosen, which you've probably gathered already.

Edit: You could try blurring the image before resizing. Would that soften the pixels enough?

Slightly unrelated but I'd made a 32 colour palette, that's here if you do decide to continue and would like to use it.
Backlog: v6 Perceive generator, Apollo, everything else (My thread)
Someday, on AAO™: Chris Tenson: Ace Attorney & A Turnabout Called Justice (pt 2)
Sligneris
Spoken languages: English, Polish

Post by Sligneris »

VirusCollector wrote:Hello, I've been noticing recently that there's quite a number of trials featuring Mia, YoungMia to be exact. Unfortunately, her 16-color sprite is often paired with the much prettier AJ courtroom, so she looks a bit out of place. I noticed that there's "HD art" of Mia on Court-Records, so I made a comparison here:

So, my question is this: is there interest enough in these HD sprites that people would use them if I made them?

It wouldn't be too much effort to make some a script to automatically resize all the HD art. Assembling them all into animations, however, would probably be the annoying part, since they seem to have rather particular timings.

On a side note, where does this HD art come from, anyway? There's some interesting subtle differences when I do a simple resize, giving her sort of a sharper, hard-lined look. If I knew something more about the processes used to make the original, I could probably replicate the softer lines, but I doubt that sort of thing is known.
Whoa, that is some nicely resized sprite! I tried work around with some AJ sprites and it seems that AJ sprites are generally around 110% bigger in size than the old PW ones. When trying to make fitting AJ sprites, stuff like this is worth noting.

Also, like mercurial suggested, reducing the palette might be a good idea, if you want this to fit AJ style. 32 colors is a standard for AJ, so I'd go with that one.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Interest or no, the idea is interesting
VirusCollector

Post by VirusCollector »

Whoops, I didn't have this topic tracked.
mercurialSK wrote:The difference in sharpness with the lineart is because the original sprite is most likely resized from an original that has coloured outlines. The HD sprites are really just low-budget traces, so their linework isn't really well done. I also suspect the original image was a different dimension compared to the HD one too. And then the difference in the smoothness in the suit is due to the colour palette chosen, which you've probably gathered already.
I did notice the colored lines, and tried a crappy edit of my own, but it didn't work out that well. (Also, her beauty mark is in the wrong spot. Strange.) Blurring it appears to work quite well, and makes it look a lot better. Thanks for the suggestion. I feel a little weird about downconverting the HD art, now that I know it's just a trace, and not some sort of original source. However, that does explain all the weird inconsistencies with them like her beauty mark, the Magatama shape, and... well, her general face structure.

It appears that the AJ sprites are actually 30-color. Colors 0 and 15 are occupied by bright green, which seems to be for transparency. The AAI sprites, as close as I can tell, are 128-color, as indexing them to that level causes no change. On that note, the HD art is actually a 242-color GIF, which is an oddly specific number. I'm probably going to have to manually edit the palette I use for indexing, to try to get that stark clothes shading like Apollo has.

Sligneris wrote:I tried work around with some AJ sprites and it seems that AJ sprites are generally around 110% bigger in size than the old PW ones. When trying to make fitting AJ sprites, stuff like this is worth noting.
I think Court-Records already took care of that for me. All of their sprites come in 256x192, which is the DS top screen's resolution. On the other hand, when I scale the HD art to 25%, it's 240x160, which is the GBA screen's resolution. Luckily I can add padding automatically.

So, here's a blurred, AJ-index version.

Sligneris

Post by Sligneris »

VirusCollector wrote:
Sligneris wrote:I tried work around with some AJ sprites and it seems that AJ sprites are generally around 110% bigger in size than the old PW ones. When trying to make fitting AJ sprites, stuff like this is worth noting.
I think Court-Records already took care of that for me. All of their sprites come in 256x192, which is the DS top screen's resolution. On the other hand, when I scale the HD art to 25%, it's 240x160, which is the GBA screen's resolution. Luckily I can add padding automatically.
No, they didn't. That is not what I meant. I did not mean the "DS size" I meant "AJ size". I hope this will clear up things a bit:

ImageImage

PW sprite size =/= AJ sprite size, just because they are both 256x192. With the latter animation, with Edgeworth's sprite enlarged to 110% of the size of his original sprite, he matches AJ-style sprite (Klavier's) better than it did before. (and even then just barely - that's where HD graphics will be useful)

That is because PW sprites were literally extended versions of GBA sprites, while AJ sprites were made specifically for DS.
VirusCollector

Post by VirusCollector »

Ahh, you're right! I'm sorry, I didn't realize you meant it in those terms. It definitely works a lot better to scale it that way, here's an example comparing her to Klavier and Apollo:

It definitely fits much better than her GBA-era sprite, but does mean that her larger sprites (such as :objection: ) go off the screen to the left just a little.
Sligneris

Post by Sligneris »

...Alright, I was wrong. It's not as simple as I thought. At least, not when it comes to the bench sprites.

Using a "regular" size sprites for PW and comparing it to AJ keeps heads at a roughly similar size, whereas the 110% version has too big head... Same goes for the :objection: sprite.

It's body proportions compared to the whole shot, bench and background that seem to cause troubles.. Hm.

You know what? Disregard what I said earlier about 110%, just position the sprites 10 pixels higher than PW trilogy originally does (aside from desk slamming, of course) and then it should be fine. I'm sorry for utterly confusing you and putting you through extra work.

It will need extra sprite work for body extension though. (hate these outdated body proportions, btw)
VirusCollector

Post by VirusCollector »

Hm... Apparently, Apollo is only one inch taller than Mia at 5'7", so he's actually a great measure for this. I compared the sprite where he stands up the straightest (him reading a document) to Mia, and it actually looks right at 100% without any movement on the sprite considering that her posture is a very rigid-backed pose.

It's no problem for confusing me. :P That's the whole reason why I made a topic, to talk about the concept and get people's ideas, particularly people who are more experienced with these sprites than I am.
Sligneris

Post by Sligneris »

I don't think we can compare Mia to Apollo's height, since Apollo is leaned over his bench, but it'll work for other poses.

...Huh. Something still looks off about it to me. I think the core of the problem is that AJ sprites and PW sprites were made in a bit different style... Huh..
VirusCollector

Post by VirusCollector »

I agree that it's off... It probably has to do with the older perspective, which looks slightly up at the characters, but without redoing the art entirely, I think this is the closest you can get. Also, people won't be seeing them overlaid on top of each other, so they probably won't notice.
Nearavex
Spoken languages: English

Post by Nearavex »

To be perfectly honest, I'd be way more interested in HD-quality Payne and Judge remakes, since their sprites never got properly remade and were just slightly changed in appearance (Payne) and/or color palette (Payne and Judge).

Payne might be difficult due to the different hairstyle and an extra new pose, but I'd really love to see real AJ-quality Judge and/or his brother.
Av by ticcy
VirusCollector

Post by VirusCollector »

So I returned to working on this project a little more. Unfortunately there are some problems. The HD art pack doesn't seem to have every frame in the original animations, which is strange. They were used for the HD remakes, right? They're missing some rather crucial frames, such as one of the two mouth shapes when she's talking. So, unless I can get a better source for this, I don't think I could continue. I've been using the Court-Records Sprites page; is there somewhere else I should be using?