[RP] The City Streets {Open residence}

Play fun games in the forums with other members.

Moderators: EN - Assistant Moderators, EN - Forum Moderators

titleguy1
Spoken languages: English

[RP] The City Streets {Open residence}

Post by titleguy1 »

The city can bring many things; fame and fortune, or death and despair. It's up to you to survive and make it in the city.

The setting is, obviously, a large city. You are allowed any profession you want. All you have to do is show up and write a story. And I'll be in it(ish)!
WARNING: I'm a first-timer at this, so this might fail within the first week. Sorry if it does.
Of course, each story has to intertwine with each other. That is the difficult part. So, I'll allow a certain amount of people; let's say 5-10 main characters and 5-10 supporting characters, with one person per character, main or supporting; to create their own story.

In theory, it's simple. In execution, maybe not so. Each person begins with a story. Then, the person must contribute with another to make the two fates meet, whether the are friends or enemies. There are no limitations, other than the obvious God-Modding and others. Oh, I also do encourage you to use 1st-person, and I personally would like narrative style writing. However, it's all up to you.

If somebody is to be injured/seriously injured, you should probably consult with me. I don't want somebody to be stabbed or shot all of a sudden, since, well, it'll be a bit of a problem, and chaos will ensue.

Once everyone is accepted and writes up a story, I'll see how many people want me to compile them into one mega-chapter, so that people who aren't participating and read what's been going on.

This is a realistic roleplay, where you have to make decisions that you would make in real life (First World Problem: Apple or Orange? WHAT SHOULD I EAT?! :random: ). Essentially, you might be spending more time thinking of real-life situations than actually being in real life.
Oops.

There is a RTD, or a Roll To Dodge system. It works like this:
Spoiler : YOU MUST READ THIS! :
1 - Critical Failure - The action is effectively not performed and instead backfires horribly (Example: As you used the evidence in court, you find out it's actually forged evidence.)
2 - Failure - The action is not performed, pretty much (Example: You have no evidence that contradicts the testimony, and you're beginning to bluff.)
3 - Partial success - The action is performed, but the results aren't as good as the player wanted (Example: You press the witness, and you get extra information, but it won't be mind-blowing.)
4 - Success - The action is performed adequately (Example: The evidence is good enough to break down the testimony.)
5 - Epic Success - The action is performed very well, better expected (Example: Your solid evidence can completely change the witness's testimony. Heck, you might even win the case!)
6 - Overshoot - The action is performed too well for your own good, and has unforeseen consequences. (Example: The decisive evidence is a bomb, and it's ticking down. Oops.)

When you are attacked or overshoot (and sometimes, when you get a critical failure too) , you will have to Roll to Dodge the attack. This works exactly the same as the normal action, except it's performed automatically, and the 6 counts as you counter-attacking the attacker.

You can do any action you wish (Go to some other place, try to find something, craft something from the items in your equipment, attack somebody, for an instance). Keep it kinda reasonable though. If you decide to do something gamebreaking (for an instance, become invulnerable to any attacks), I WILL disqualify your action. Also, keep in mind that in many of the locations in the game can be brought up, besides the main city. For an instance, if you are looking for a shelter in some outdoors location, and get a 4, it'll turn out some hut or something like this was there all along.

Oh, and keep to one action per turn. Don't try to skew that one too much. Oh, and talking's usually a free action.
Here is you application. Just as a heads up, the story take place in 2015, so your DOB will be the current age of your person NOW.

-Character Application-
Full Name:
Appearance:
Profession:
Personality:
Interests:
Background information:
Family, if any:
Wealth/Social Class:

Accepted entries will be posted in the spoiler below.
Spoiler : Accepted Entries :
Bonny “Bun” Taylor - Dave

Gil Dorian Jackson - enigma

SS Sleuth - Beryl Queen

NihilisticNinja - Jenny Taylor

Detective Luke Atmey - Vivian Ford
Last edited by titleguy1 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
lazyplague

Re: [RP] Streets of the City

Post by lazyplague »

Just a suggestion due to me knowing how the RP community around here is: Try to at least make sure people have activities to follow, or some kind of drive. It's very important in the long run.

Planning to sign up when I get back from florida.
lazyplague

Re: [RP] The City Streets

Post by lazyplague »

Spoiler : Small Basic App :
Full Name: Bonny “Bun” Taylor
Age, DOB: 26, March 30
Appearance: Image
Profession: Layabout Singer/Guitarist, Corner Store Cashier.

Personality: A big dreamer, Bonny tends to think about all the things she wants to do. As a result, she doesn’t really do them, because they are dreams. She doesn’t really follow through with goals, making those who try hard a bit irritated. She gets irritated back at them. Everyone’s just kinda irritated.

An optimist at heart, Bonny tends to be a bit happy most of the time. As per usual, there’s always those moments when she’s unhappy, but that’s not that bad.

(Honestly I want to develop a personality more in thread, so I hope you don’t mind if I wait to be more precise.)

Interests: Singing, playing guitar, watching cheesy comedies and romances, knitting her own sweaters, eating a tad bit expensive food. Oh and starbucks coffee. She often tries to try a variety of flavors and combinations.

Background information: Bonny lives a relatively normal life, although she’s often suffered financial problems. Her parents couldn’t afford to take care of her for most of her life, so she’s lived with her grandparents. She doesn’t quite like her parents, but she doesn’t hate them. It’s hard to really feel anything for people she doesn’t know as well as she’d like to. She does try to invite her parents over, but they don’t have enough money to visit her.

A naturally good singer, so she often participated in local contests and talent shows. She didn’t always do well, but she was always well received. As time went on, her ego got more and more bloated. Soon enough, she just kinda got lazy. Into adulthood, she didn’t really do anything to get herself any farther in the music industry. She went to a normal college, got a degree, and then just got a store job. Now she lives in a small apartment in a city.

That’s really it. She’s just lazy.

Family, if any: Gramma Mary, Grampa Paul

Wealth/Social Class: Lower Middle Class. Lives in a run down apartment
enigma
Spoken languages: miaou

Post by enigma »

Spoiler : I guess I may as well give this a shot :
Full Name: Gil Dorian Jackson
Age, DOB: 23. 13/12/1991
Appearance: Gil is deathly pale with matted black hair and bright piercing eyes. His face is well structured, but a little sunken. He has a long, wiry, sorta malnourished frame. He wears an off-white shirt with a few light stains on it, a ripped and filthy loose red tie, a holster/belt carrying different culinary knives and black pants. He wears grey sneakers on his feet. He's surprisingly well washed for who he is.
Profession: Ex-chef, Serial Killer
Personality: Gil is a rather down to earth, average guy with a morbid sense of humour. He dislikes things that bore him, but for the most part is calm and well mannered. Very even/good tempered, he likes a good laugh or an interesting debate. He's playful and enjoys a good challenge; a little bit like a cat, I guess. He rather would prefer to be as clean and well dressed as possible. Also, he's a sadistic monster who eats people.
Interests: Cooking, Politics, Dance, Literature, Society and Murder.
Background information: Gil's parents were rather well-off high-class chefs who ran their own little farm for fresh meat. Cooking always fascinated Gil. Meat is delicious. Gil's parents always said it's okay to kill the animals because you use them for food. Gil's parents never liked animals.

People are animals.

Gil went to a good school, graduated and went to university. He got a degree in business/economics. He went to work for a nice, big fancy company. Every day he'd sit in his cubicle, mindlessly pushing buttons and spewing out numbers. And every day his workload would increase. And every day he'd have less sleep. And every day he would innerly panic trying to produce results. And one day he'd have a mental breakdown, rant at his boss and knock him out cold.

People are animals.

Gil was fired. He went back to his parents home and their farm. He would return to cooking and the culinary arts and enjoy it. And a secret little thought he always had when he was a kid resurfaced.

People are animals.

Gil kills his family, cooks them up and eats them. And then he goes on the run, killing and consuming wherever he goes. He lives in the sewers, among the rats, hiding from the law. Looking for another dish to cook.

Gil is an animal.

Family, if any: Not anymore.

Wealth/Social Class: Previously middle-class, now... not.

Notes: i'm sorry for basically writing a creepy pasta what is wrong with me oh gosh so sorry...
titleguy1

Post by titleguy1 »

Well, 2 entries, one normal and calm and collected; the other, not so much...

Dave, yours is so weird, why can't you write a regular one like Enigma? /sarcasm
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

I have like half an app written; I'll try to get that done some time soon.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

titleguy1

Post by titleguy1 »

Due to lack of entriees, I will probably close this thread. Sorry to everyone who was going to participate, but there just wasn't enough participation. Sorry, and I hope you understand.

Really sorry.
gotMLK7
Spoken languages: English, learning French

Post by gotMLK7 »

Well I do still have a WIP app so if this does pick up enough steam to actually kick off the ground you can still count me in as interested.
Hersh/Fiendy has credit for the amazing GiGi pics and enigma has credit for the adorable Kenshin Mega Man sprite!

DLA
Spoken languages: English, Spanish, a bit of French

Post by DLA »

I was in the process of writing up an app, though I didn't mention it before. You can put me up as interested.
The Final but not so ending chapter.
lazyplague

Post by lazyplague »

I'd also be totally up for making a second character to boost the RP up if you'd let me. I really would love to RP a more realistic scenario.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Yeah sure I can think of something.
titleguy1

Post by titleguy1 »

Alright, well, only if a few more join. I'll keep it open for now.
Last edited by titleguy1 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Spoiler : Character Application :
Full Name: Beryl Queen

Age, DOB: 36, born March 16, 1985

Appearance: At first glance, one might not think much of Miss Queen. Stoic, tall, and porcelain, one would be forgiven for mistaking Beryl to be some sort of life-sized fashion model that someone left out in the street. Her skin is unnaturally smooth and her clothes always kept pressed and clean; there's not a hair out of place in the entire ensemble, speaking to the ridiculously long time she takes to do up her appearance. Her outfits vary depending on the situation but on the job, she will unvaryingly be found in her trademark dark blue blazer and sunglasses. Her hair is kept in a short, perfectly trimmed bob that looks as if someone stuck a black salad bowl on her head and she hadn't noticed-- Some say it is so perfectly crafted that even the wind dare not blow it. It's not instantly noticeable, but the fingernails on her right hand are slightly longer and ragged, as if someone has been biting on them. Next to her badge and pistol, she wouldn't be caught dead without her trusty travel kit, containing a miniature bar of soap, shampoo, 3 different combs, scissors, a nail clipper, and lint brush.

Profession: Homicide Detective

Personality: Detective Queen is used to being ignored. She frequently presumes that no one will be watching her, and tends to be horribly unaware when people DO notice her. While she rarely means harm or discomfort, she tends to come across as incredibly off-putting; her love for cleanliness and fashion lead her to dress and act fairly ostentatiously-- While one would easily be lead to believe she's acting out for attention, she becomes very withdrawn and silent when one DOES pay attention to her, and reverts to her cold, professional demeanor. She's highly cleanly and meticulous, keenly aware of her own appearance even if she has problems realizing that others can be too; there's a rumor around the office that Detective Queen can sense if the smallest speck of dust lands on her blazer while it's in the closet at home.

While not the most social or outgoing person, Detective Queen harbors a strong desire to protect others and keep peace in her city. Above all else, she strives to make the City safe for her friends, family, and fellow citizens.

Interests: 90s music, fashion magazines, hair and body care products.

Background information: Having moved to the City in 1989, most of Queen's early childhood memories were made in the city. Her parents were typically very busy, and with two other mouths to feed, Beryl was usually lower on the priority totem pole. They were a poor family, and things were not helped when Berly's younger sister was caught in a near-fatal accident; one that sent the family further into debt. With her parents working like crazy to keep their children healthy and happy, Beryl grew afraid that asking anything of them would lead to her parents to think of her as petulant and whiny. To that end she set out to be as self-sufficient as possible, which lead to her staying highly under the radar in school. She neither excelled nor failed, did little beyond study and work, and never asked questions or sought answers, trying to stay as "safe" as possible. She enjoyed her hobbies of music and fashion in secret, and would scribble her own designs when she was feeling down. More than anything, Beryl wanted to be useful in her parent's eyes; a "perfect child" that would take care of herself.

Time moved on and Beryl set out to fulfill her dreams away from the city, taking her sketches and heading out to become a fashion designer-- However, she quickly found herself unsuited to the high pressure of the fashion industry. A combination of naivete, inexperience, and harsh rejection ultimately sank Queen's first dream, so she gathered her things and turned to the next place she could think of-- The Police. But they had already disbanded by that point. Hahaha music jokes. But anyways, Queen returned to the City and joined the police force, starting out as a low-ranking officer. She hadn't really intended to go anywhere in this job, but she performed well so she was eventually raised to Detective. After so many years, she's found a comfortable routine, even if that routine involves bloody corpses and horrible tragedies.

Family, if any: Mother, Father, 2 Younger Sisters

Wealth/Social Class: Middle Class
NihilisticNinja
Spoken languages: English, Latin

Post by NihilisticNinja »

Oh heck, let's give this a shot.
Spoiler : App :
Full Name: Jenny Taylor
Age, DOB: 34, September 23rd, 1980
Appearance: Image
Profession: Romance novelist
Personality: Jenny tends to be a relatively obsessive person- when she gets an idea, there is little that one can do to stop her. On the other hand, when something loses her interest she'll frequently abandon it on short notice. She's also continually open to trying new things and considering new possibilities, believing that having an open-mind makes it easiest to find inspiration for a new story. She thinks that the best way to get inspired is to go out into the world and experience life, rather than waiting for inspiration to come to you. When she does get that inspiration, however, she'll essentially shut herself off in her house until her work is finished, leaving only to venture for food or other necessities, which often gives off the impression that she's reclusive or unsociable. At other times however, she is incredibly kind and talkative, continually being cheerful and friendly to everybody around her. She enjoys making friends, although she'll frequently forget about them when working on a new story, and therefore tends to work her way through them relatively quickly, much to her chagrin.

She's a very disorganized person, her house having various resource materials often randomly lying on tables, and books often shoved back onto her shelves in an incredibly random fashion. However, she very rarely tends to actually lose items she considers important, which is a personal point of pride for her. She also has a variety of miscellaneous items scattered throughout the house- various kinds of weaponry, types of jewelry, and other trinkets, all of which she's used as reference material for her novels; she's very big on verisimilitude and makes efforts to keep her stories as realistic as possible. She began taking various forms of martial arts as research for one of her stories, and eventually became a big fan, becoming decently proficient in judo, shaolin-kempo karate, and capoeira. She frequently practices all three in her spare time.

She's always been a romantic at heart, and adores love stories, believing that there is little more beautiful then two people who are deeply in love and care about each other.

Interests: Writing, Pop music, martial arts

Background information: From a young age, Jenny loved reading. She learned to read at the early age of 2, and as she got older it became a rare event to see her separated from a novel- she read all sorts, from sci-fi to horror to action, though she always had a soft-spot for romances. Her affable nature kept her from being picked on too much in school, however, and she always managed to have some friends. She went through high school and college aimlessly, completely uncertain what she wanted to do with her life, though never abandoning her love for literature. She tried various jobs and occupations, but none of them really felt like a good fit; she continually moved from one job to another, putting a good deal of effort into pursuing them but immediately dropping them when they no longer interested her. When she was 25, her father commented that given how much time she spent reading, she might actually be able to write decent novels of her own.

Inspired, Jenny decided to give writing a shot, and found that she was relatively talented at it. After a few rough starts- during which time she mostly lived off of money from her parents- she managed to find her calling in romance novels and became decently well-known, and begin making a sizable living off her work.

Family, if any: Father, mother, two brothers.
Wealth/Social Class: Upper-Middle Class
"With good friends by your side, anything is possible. If you really care for each other, it makes everyone stronger! Then you'll have the will to succeed! The world is filled with painful things, it's sad sometimes, and you won't be able to handle it by yourself. But just know: If there's someone that you love, you'll stay on the right path. And you won't ever give in! As long as you keep that person in your heart, you'll keep getting back up. Understand? That's why a Hero never loses!"
Miki by Hershey's Chocolate Bars.
titleguy1

Post by titleguy1 »

Well, as some may know, I'm back! So, I've decided this. This is strange, but bear with me: Assuming that we have an even amount of people, each person shall create a realistic scenario for one other person. Once all the scenarios for the entries are finished, a die shall roll. The values affect the outcome: This is called a Roll to Dodge system. It works like this (Okay, I ctrl + c'd it from another forum, but credit to Kubboz on Automation Forums, albeit changed to suit the players here):
Spoiler : YOU MUST READ THIS! :
1 - Critical Failure - The action is effectively not performed and instead backfires horribly (Example: As you used the evidence in court, you find out it's actually forged evidence.)
2 - Failure - The action is not performed, pretty much (Example: You have no evidence that contradicts the testimony, and you're beginning to bluff.)
3 - Partial success - The action is performed, but the results aren't as good as the player wanted (Example: You press the witness, and you get extra information, but it won't be mind-blowing.)
4 - Success - The action is performed adequately (Example: The evidence is good enough to break down the testimony.)
5 - Epic Success - The action is performed very well, better expected (Example: Your solid evidence can completely change the witness's testimony. Heck, you might even win the case!)
6 - Overshoot - The action is performed too well for your own good, and has unforeseen consequences. (Example: The decisive evidence is a bomb, and it's ticking down. Oops.)

When you are attacked or overshoot (and sometimes, when you get a critical failure too) , you will have to Roll to Dodge the attack. This works exactly the same as the normal action, except it's performed automatically, and the 6 counts as you counter-attacking the attacker.

You can do any action you wish (Go to some other place, try to find something, craft something from the items in your equipment, attack somebody, for an instance). Keep it kinda reasonable though. If you decide to do something gamebreaking (for an instance, become invulnerable to any attacks), I WILL disqualify your action. Also, keep in mind that in many of the locations in the game can be brought up, besides the main city. For an instance, if you are looking for a shelter in some outdoors location, and get a 4, it'll turn out some hut or something like this was there all along.

Oh, and keep to one action per turn. Don't try to skew that one too much. Oh, and talking's usually a free action.
So, that's how it works.